Last Week's Freezing Temperatures A 'Freak Event'

Lite Beer

Freezing temperatures a 'freak event'

By The Nation on Sunday.

The sudden plunge in temperatures last week could be a rare climatic phenomenon, according to a Thai expert.

Assistant Professor Prateung Jintasakul of Rajabhat Nakorn Ratchasima University said the mercury plunged unusually sharply in the Northeast to 15-16 degrees Celsius from March 28 to 31, even though it is summer.

The academic said the same thing occurred during the Ice Age 10,000 years ago when pandas fled extreme cold in China to northeastern Thailand.

In 1982, fossils of pandas were found in the northeast province of Chaiyaphum by a French anthropologist. The fossils could be dated back to the Ice Age.

"The evidence shows that the pandas from China fled to the warmer areas in Chaiyaphum, so it wouldn't be a surprise if this extreme climate change is going to happen again.

"However, that's just a possibility and we will have to closely monitor the further development of climate change to find out a more accurate explanation.

"So far, it's not yet conclusive but it certainly is highly unusual. What happened during March 28-31 could also be attributed to alteration of the Earth's axis or magnetic field etc."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-03

Quote "could be a rare climatic phenomenon", "it wouldn't be a surprise if this extreme climate change is going to happen again", "However, that's just a possibility", "So far, it's not yet conclusive but it certainly is highly unusual", "could also be attributed to alteration of the Earth's axis or magnetic field etc."

And this is an expert talking? Talk about hedging your bets. No wonder he's still an assistant professor with observations like this.

Still, can't wait 'til the pandas get here :D

'edwinchester' timestamp='1301790418' post='4331036']

Quote "could be a rare climatic phenomenon", "it wouldn't be a surprise if this extreme climate change is going to happen again", "However, that's just a possibility", "So far, it's not yet conclusive but it certainly is highly unusual", "could also be attributed to alteration of the Earth's axis or magnetic field etc."

And this is an expert talking? Talk about hedging your bets. No wonder he's still an assistant professor with observations like this.

Still, can't wait 'til the pandas get here :D

I wrote about the shifting of the earth on its axis in an earlier post , caused by the Japan earthquake and possible ramifications .

The sudden plunge in temperatures last week could be a rare climatic phenomenon, according to a Thai expert. Then again it may not be. :blink:

Assistant Professor Prateung Jintasakul of Rajabhat Nakorn Ratchasima University said the mercury plunged unusually sharply in the Northeast to 15-16 degrees Celsius from March 28 to 31, even though it is summer. The academic said the same thing occurred during the Ice Age 10,000 years ago when pandas fled extreme cold in China to northeastern Thailand. The same thing occurred 10,000 years ago? :huh: If I'm not mistaken that "ice age" lasted a little more than a few weeks. :whistling: I do welcome the return of the pandas though. :jap:

japan quake was only on 11th - too early to influence climat.

cold it thailand started just a few days later.

mind that this freaky weather was only in thailand, and not globally

Edited by londonthai

:blink:Where do they get these people from..?

The cold snap could also be to do with the moon being made from cream cheese, or a precursor to an alien invasion or the sky could be falling...hey lets just throw all kinds of sh*t in the air and see waht comes down....

If the earths axis or magnetic fields had moved pretty sure this would not only effect local weather conditions esteemed assiciate professor

16 degree's Celsius are not freezing temperatures....at least when I went to school

And if it's happened before and can happen again hardly a freak event dear associate professor

How does he know panda's left china a 100, 000 years ago because they were cold ?......did he ask them, may be they were on holiday ?

In conclusion the associate professor is talking through his bottom.....;)

For someone to say - the weather we have been experiencing could be just a freak occurrence, or, it could be tied to some type of global weather change, it is to early to tell - does not seem to me to be taking a "stupid" position. Anyone not used to the sub-standard quality of news presentations and the lack of in context reporting must be a newbe.Perhaps the guy is a total wacko but I am sure not going to make that judgment from the contents of this news release. But to each his own. :rolleyes:

Guess it takes a lot less to be considered and "EXPERT", here in Thailand

The man may have found the answer to a question that has haunted some, for quite some time.

The southward migration of the panda displaced the original inhabitants of Thailand, who went further south to what is now known as Aussie land. They subsequently evolved into what is presently referred to as Aborigines. OK maybe the timing is somewhat off, but this theory is as good as any.

You call that cold. Hell, it wasn't even cold, just right for any westerner. I walked around in my shorts and t-shirt for those days, Thai just looked at me oddly, I didn't care.

How long you lived here ?

i was freezing and was wearing a jacket and long sleeved shirts,only the tourists were in shorts.

You call that cold. Hell, it wasn't even cold, just right for any westerner. I walked around in my shorts and t-shirt for those days, Thai just looked at me oddly, I didn't care.

How long you lived here ?

i was freezing and was wearing a jacket and long sleeved shirts,only the tourists were in shorts.

I have been here 10 years and I was in shorts and tee shirts.....so dont understand the point you are trying to make ?.....:rolleyes:

londonthai' timestamp='1301792757' post='4331092']

japan quake was only on 11th - too early to influence climat.

cold it thailand started just a few days later.

mind that this freaky weather was only in thailand, and not globally

The disaster in Japan tilted the earth on its axis , at that time the correlation of the earth to both the moon and the sun, made changes in both proximity and positioning , as the moon is effective in tide and weather patterns so it is not out of line to consider the weather in Thailand was brought on by these changes .

Southern Ontario in Canada is almost diametrically apposed to Thailand , the temperature which had been on a climb , nose dived bringing back much colder temperatures , I did take the time to investigate this on google where there are scientists etc with far more expertise in this matter than most persons on Tv and most certainly more educated in the matter than the Thai academics . I was not stabbing in the dark because I am not , nor never will be a weather expert .

He doesn't sound like an expert!

You mean to tell me his bringing up fossils found 30 years ago, the earths axis and magnetic fields along with speaking about the last ice age to explain an unseasonal cold front that lasted all of 4 days doesn't make you believe he is an expert. wink.gif

I think the best explanation for this is "sh#t happens" when it comes to weather.

The disaster in Japan tilted the earth on its axis , at that time the correlation of the earth to both the moon and the sun, made changes in both proximity and positioning , as the moon is effective in tide and weather patterns so it is not out of line to consider the weather in Thailand was brought on by these changes .

Southern Ontario in Canada is almost diametrically apposed to Thailand , the temperature which had been on a climb , nose dived bringing back much colder temperatures , I did take the time to investigate this on google where there are scientists etc with far more expertise in this matter than most persons on Tv and most certainly more educated in the matter than the Thai academics . I was not stabbing in the dark because I am not , nor never will be a weather expert .

They say the earth shifted on is Axis by as much as 6.5 inches. Over the course of a year the earths axis changes 6 times more than this all on its own. And It is not like it put norther Thailand in another weather climate. When they talk about the quake causing the earth's axis to change they are talking about something called the "figure axis" and not the position of the north and south pole.

Edit: I am no expert either but been through a number of quakes and have heard this stuff before.

Edit 2: I think you are reading info from pseudo scientists as the earth has not changed position in space or as it relates to the moon and sun.

Edited by Nisa

:blink:Where do they get these people from..?

The cold snap could also be to do with the moon being made from cream cheese, or a precursor to an alien invasion or the sky could be falling...hey lets just throw all kinds of sh*t in the air and see waht comes down....

If the earths axis or magnetic fields had moved pretty sure this would not only effect local weather conditions esteemed assiciate professor

16 degree's Celsius are not freezing temperatures....at least when I went to school

And if it's happened before and can happen again hardly a freak event dear associate professor

How does he know panda's left china a 100, 000 years ago because they were cold ?......did he ask them, may be they were on holiday ?

In conclusion the associate professor is talking through his bottom.....;)

The word "Expert" is 2 syllables and pronounced Ex - Spert . If you take the first syllable "Ex" it means a "has been" or "in the past" The second syllable "Spert" or more commonly spelt Spurt......is a "drip" under great pressure. so...together an "expert" is a has been under pressure.....

Its actually the second cold spell we have had recently. There must be a reason. Freak occurrance and stories of pandas doesn't convince this educated farang who is used to logical reasoning!

More likely the Chinese have screwed up the climate because of lack of consideration when building all those dams and general disregard for the environment while expanding their economy.

Edited by MaiChai

The last time I checked both all of Ontario and Thailand were north of the equator so I have no idea what they are "apposed" to. Or what Canada's weaher has to do with Thailand's, other than that you're Canadian and have nothing else to compare it to.

The last time I checked both all of Ontario and Thailand were north of the equator so I have no idea what they are "apposed" to. Or what Canada's weaher has to do with Thailand's, other than that you're Canadian and have nothing else to compare it to.

But all those scientist on Google.... Could they be wrong ? laugh.gif