webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 foreigners arrested for running boiler room scam

BANGKOK, April 8 -- Twenty foreigners were arrested at their Bangkok office for running a 'boiler room' scam in a joint operation involving the Thai police and international law enforcement agencies -- Australian and Canadian police in conjunction with the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Thailand's Tourist Police Division Commander Pol Maj Gen Adis Ngamjitsuksri led the international law enforcement agencies to search an office on the 18th floor of the Amarin Tower on Ploenchit Road after receiving complaints from a large number of investors, especially Australians, who had been solicited by telephone salespersons based at a so-called "call centre" in Thailand to buy shares in overseas markets, particularly in Thailand and Hong Kong. They were also persuaded to invest in the gold futures market in Asian markets.

Thai police investigated and tracked down the telephone lines used by the suspects and located their office.

After the raid, 20 foreigners including Americans, Australians, Britons, Canadians, and Filipinos now working in the scam were arrested. The police found scripts for telephone conversations to use to persuade the victims, along with more than 20 mobile phones and fixed-line office telephones.

Moreover, lists of victims and their telephone numbers were found, mostly New Zealanders and Australians.

Initial investigation found that the office was rented on January 20 without obtaining permission to establish a company in Thailand.

It is believed that the operation had defrauded victims of more than Bt100 million.

The top executive in the operation was identified as Simon James, a Briton. He will initially be charged with working in Thailand without a work permit. The Thai authorities will coordinate with Interpol to check the background of all suspects and also the names on the list found to determine whether they were victims of the syndicate or not. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-04-08

"He will initially charged with working in Thailand without a work permit"

And he will just buy his way out of trouble, with a quick payout to the cops, using some of the BT100 million.. :D

Strangely I got a call from a BKK number today, what was a foreigner trying to sell me something ... oddly enough he knew my name. Perhaps buying mailing lists from a gym or something?

(relevant because when I checked the number on the internet it returned some stock agency.

Edited by jdinasia

I am (not at all) surpised that these boiler room operations still find victims. But then again, the Nigerian scam has been going on for several decades now. As long as there are naive, gullible and greedy people out there, they will continue to operate. After all, they wouldn't if there weren't any potential victims, right?

As long as there are suckers out there who fall for these scams, they will continue to operate as it's easy money for the operators, can't believe people are still falling for this type of scamming.

Always remember "If it seems to good to be true, it most likely is"

Strangely I got a call from a BKK number today, what was a foreigner trying to sell me something ... oddly enough he knew my name. Perhaps buying mailing lists from a gym or something?

(relevant because when I checked the number on the internet it returned some stock agency.

I never bother answering my landline phone . Anybody that Knows me that wants to phone my landline knows to ring my mobile first let it ring just 1 time. then phone my landline.

Interpol will not let these guys pay their ways out of anything here in Thailand. These scumbags will feel the full raith of the law. This is the second big raid of this kind in as many months. More to come too I would guess. These networks are like onions. Once you got one crew down the rest get found out as well and start 'peeling'. Good to see too cuz these guys are scum and make all foreigners here look bad. Time for these lads to pay the price for their activities and then head back to thier countries and start working a real job and living a readl life. :lol: Enjoy it! ;)

They obviously do sell numbers here: I got my prepaid years ago in my wives name and still get hassled by people, "companies" about insurance, wealth placement/planning etc. And I can't think of any except Tops, The Nation, Thai Airways, Immigration and the guys collecting my wives gambling debts that have my no. registered. Must be Tops.

Super news. But I still fail to understand the dimwits who send money to a 'broker' in another country. Foolish people but there again, I hope these 20 get a nice interpol profile that will make their travelling around the world a lot more difficult.

So tired of worthless farangs coming here and scamming people.

The calls from farangs here to solicit my 'retirement planning' get some pretty foul expletives from me. If you're a member of TV, stop calling people who don't want your 'services'.

No mate, Interpol and FBI being involved will make it harder for these guys to get off.

Interpol has no powers of arrest it exists for investigation only. What powers do you think the FBI have for a crime committed in Thailand, against antipodeans?

As maverick put it, "Just a walk in the park, kazanski" :ph34r:

I wonder when they will start to do something about the legalised side of scamming.

Bankers I mean.

Because of those bags of sh** millions of people lost money, jobs, houses, futures.

But the banking gangs just go on doling out bonus after bonus while gambling with other people's money.

No mate, Interpol and FBI being involved will make it harder for these guys to get off.

Interpol has no powers of arrest it exists for investigation only. What powers do you think the FBI have for a crime committed in Thailand, against antipodeans?

I am pretty sure that if the FBI is involved they must have some powers or they would not bother. I have seen on TV (Television) a Interpol show with agents making arrest's for all sorts of crimes committed internationally. So what say ye

I am pretty sure that if the FBI is involved they must have some powers or they would not bother. I have seen on TV (Television) a Interpol show with agents making arrest's for all sorts of crimes committed internationally. So what say ye

I hardly ever reply to posts on this forum because there are so many "holier than thou" posters but many older people who are not internet savvy or realy aware of this type of scam get caught up in them. So, if you have never been scammed or are one of the world's greatest financial wizards then feel free to post otherwise <deleted>.

Yes, I have had the call many times on my mobile and office phone, hang up, they just call back... These were Filipinos working in Korean. After ten calls of SAY NO, i got an Englishman, 45 mins of high pressure sales. He started with "I have booked you 20,000 Shares and I am sending you an Invoice.... i am like <deleted>, again after 30 mins of argueing he went down to 5,000 shares, all the time i am saying no, i dont want. but he was persistantly saying i am invoicing you which stopped me from hanging up... i can see weak people falling for this. the 20,000 shares were 80,000 Euro's

They knew my name, job and work place address...

i did say they were wasting their time targeting foreigners in Thailand, the majority are skint, lol.

Seriously not very nice.

I hardly ever reply to posts on this forum because there are so many "holier than thou" posters but many older people who are not internet savvy or realy aware of this type of scam get caught up in them. So, if you have never been scammed or are one of the world's greatest financial wizards then feel free to post otherwise <deleted>.

Senor123 I guess with just 2 post since 06 I personally feel blessed that you would include me in your most recent post.jap.gif I guess I can't tell you to <deleted> now can I. But sadly your are right about this forum.

Good news. Let's hope these crooks are actually charged with fraud, providing investment advice without an SEC licence and tax evasion this time. They should round up all the other unlicensed scamsters posing as "independent financial advisors" while they are at it.

I never bother answering my landline phone . Anybody that Knows me that wants to phone my landline knows to ring my mobile first let it ring just 1 time. then phone my landline.

Now everybody knows the system....doh

All the time that the timeshare chaps and lasses can persuade someone to attend a presentation just because they 'won' a T-shirt then there will be people whose greed makes them gullible.

The boiler rooms are just a few steps higher, in pressure, promises, and prognosis.

The greed and gullibility doesn't change.

Edited by tolsti

From Craigslist:

Entry Level Business Vacancy - Opportunity to Progress (Central Bangkok)

Date: 2011-03-29, 10:22PM ICT

Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

International minded investment house is looking for a self-starter to join a new team and undertake basic marketing tasks initially working on a telesales project where you don't have to sell anything but you do have to open the door to business with potential new investors based in Australia and New Zealand. The position will suit somebody who has burning desire, solid strength of character and an indomitable winning mentality. Progression to management, a more varied role, or senior sales (six figure dollar earnings) is envisaged for able candidates.

Exactly true Loz, nothing will be done on this thing but line some police big shots pocket. pay a fine for working with out a permit and thrown out of the country.

Must be a bit slow tonight----------- <deleted>---------Juast got it

---------- Sorry but i love these abreviations but <deleted>?

Edited by biplanebluey