Looking To Settle In Thailand

I only recently stumbled upon this useful forum, and credit to all the contributors!

I am a 50+ very experienced accountant, but not CPA qualified. Never been to Thailand, but hear good things mainly from friends who've taken holidays there. I would love to settle in Thailand from the UK (London) in the near future, however, I do not wish to retire yet, so wondered if there is any demand out there for UK accountants in any related fields. Is age discrimination as common in Thailand as it is in the UK? Are there any recommended agencies in Thailand who cater for expat candidates? Also, any recommendations of places to work in aside from Bangkok?

As a precaution, I recently attained a TEFL certificate, and would also consider teaching "business english" to corporate clients.

All viewpoints and suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks in advance!

Thai Universities produce thousands of Accountants every year, most of whom are willing - eager even - to work for Baht 10,000.- a month, obviously they also speak, read and write fluent Thai which is essential for the understanding of local Financial Regulations, dealing with Government Departments, submitting Financial Reports etc..

I very much doubt you would find employment unless you were professionally qualified and landed a Senior post with an International Company or Audit firm.

Also, realistically, you would not be in a position to "consider teaching "business english" to corporate clients" it's more a situation of "desperately compete with hundreds of other Expats to teach English to anyone willing to pay a few hundred Baht and hour".

Your best bet would be to continue working in UK and build up funds and a pension to enable you to eventually retire here.

Patrick

Nicely put Patrick and well phrased !

The OP needs to do A LOT more research but Patrick's advice is sound.

" continue working in UK and build up funds and a pension to enable you to eventually retire here."

Edited by CharlieH

Never been to Thailand, but hear good things mainly from friends who've taken holidays there. I would love to settle in Thailand from the UK (London) in the near future,

Further to the good advice already given - You say you have never been to Thailand.

May I suggest a holiday to start with, extending to longer periods of stay and see if you like it, the weather, food or culture is not what we are used to in the west. Dont jump into the unknown and on the word of others.

I visited many areas over many years before I decided this is where I wanted to retire to.

Edited by Tafia

Just come here and live dont come for a holiday first.. I never ever visited thailand before i came here to live and if your living in the Uk right now then your better off in thailand... you can still get ur food ere same home and things r alot cheaperr.... goodluck

Never been to Thailand, but hear good things mainly from friends who've taken holidays there. I would love to settle in Thailand from the UK (London) in the near future,

Further to the good advice already given - You say you have never been to Thailand.

May I suggest a holiday to start with, extending to longer periods of stay and see if you like it, the weather, food or culture is not what we are used to in the west. Dont jump into the unknown and on the word of others.

I visited many areas over many years before I decided this is where I wanted to retire to.

And obviously if you are trying to find a job here...the key is contacts, contacts, contacts....I would suggest you need to be looking around BKK

I jumped in a the deep end almost 9 years ago,,, I still love the place , been up and down many times, who knows what tomorrow will bring, depends on your level of "self " But my best advice is never take a girlfriend from Issan, unless she is a rich widow with no mother and family... you only have one life ... live it..! Roll the dice and pay your price....

I jumped in a the deep end almost 9 years ago,,, I still love the place , been up and down many times, who knows what tomorrow will bring, depends on your level of "self " But my best advice is never take a girlfriend from Issan, unless she is a rich widow with no mother and family... you only have one life ... live it..! Roll the dice and pay your price....

I married an Issan girl, best thing I ever did

Easy to say roll the dice the guys an accountant he doesn't do risk and why should he when research search and visit are the safe options. Of course its his money and hard earned but why risk it?

Do a good bit of research, see if you can do without the work, do a few trips and have alook around, see where you like. The tourists places are going to be more expensive. The food is excellent. Get an idea of costs, see if you can handle the finances and adapt to a different life, a lot to learn, what is good/ok in the UK may not be the same here. assume nothing and enjoy.

Without a degree it will be hard to get any teaching job. You could market your skills to expats from the UK that need to have their taxes and other finances taken care of here. It might not be a bad niche market. There are some that do it already but with a good name you can make a reputation.

Forget teaching as a way to make money and don't be retarded like others and marry/date some rural issaan redneck.

If you have never been to Thailand then i strongly suggest you come here for a one month holiday first to see how you fit in here...or not. Thailand is not for everyone. Forget working as an accountant here. There are thousands of unemployed thai accountants who will work for peanuts.

Youre better off staying in Europe until retirement. If you do decide to live here dont think youre going to marry a pretty young girl who will love and cherish you.Its not going to happen.Many western men avoid marriage here and those that dont end up stuck with a isan peasant wife who is more than likely still married to one of her thai husbands with kids . You will be expected to pay for everything. Alot of your countrymen end up going home in a pine box or simply disappear off the streets. It happens. Youve been duly advised.

If you have never been to Thailand then i strongly suggest you come here for a one month holiday first to see how you fit in here...or not. Thailand is not for everyone. Forget working as an accountant here. There are thousands of unemployed thai accountants who will work for peanuts.

Youre better off staying in Europe until retirement. If you do decide to live here dont think youre going to marry a pretty young girl who will love and cherish you.Its not going to happen.Many western men avoid marriage here and those that dont end up stuck with a isan peasant wife who is more than likely still married to one of her thai husbands with kids . You will be expected to pay for everything. Alot of your countrymen end up going home in a pine box or simply disappear off the streets. It happens. Youve been duly advised.

I feel sorry for you with such an outlook. Of course lots of men make mistakes and end up in the situation you describe, maybe even most, but it's not inevitable if one is forewarned and are therefore both realistic and careful. And of course many don't have the prejudices about class you express and wouldn't mind a peasant girl, as long as she is young and pretty. Finding one without a husband and kids is entirely possible, just a bit more of a challenge. Love and cherish of course is the real tough nut, but that's true anywhere in the world - money will only buy a reasonable facsimile, but that's enough for many of us. . .

Regarding getting murdered or "disappeared" it happens a lot less here than at home (for me urban US), and usually IMO to people that are involved in other problematic lifestyle issues than just looking for a nice young wife. . .

I feel sorry for you with such an outlook. Of course lots of men make mistakes and end up in the situation you describe, maybe even most, but it's not inevitable if one is forewarned and are therefore both realistic and careful. And of course many don't have the prejudices about class you express and wouldn't mind a peasant girl, as long as she is young and pretty. Finding one without a husband and kids is entirely possible, just a bit more of a challenge. Love and cherish of course is the real tough nut, but that's true anywhere in the world - money will only buy a reasonable facsimile, but that's enough for many of us. . .

Regarding getting murdered or "disappeared" it happens a lot less here than at home (for me urban US), and usually IMO to people that are involved in other problematic lifestyle issues than just looking for a nice young wife. . .

I agree with BigJohn. Yes, a singularly dismal post.

Also one month is not enough. That is still the "Holiday in Asia" time. And even after fifteen years or so, I still sometimes feel that way. But it takes at least a year, maybe more, before you start to find how you fit in.

To rewrite one paragraph a little

"You're not better off staying in Europe until retirement. If you do decide to do that don't think you're going to marry a pretty young girl who will love and cherish you. It's not going to happen. Many men avoid marriage there and those that don't end up stuck with a fat bitch, who will make your life insufferable. You will be expected to pay for everything. And get nothing in return. A lot of men end up in a pine box through the constant nagging It happens, so that the fat bitch can live for another two decade off your savings and pension. It happens. Some of it to me ohmy.gif, and most of it to my old man ohmy.gifohmy.gif. You've been duly advised"

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by 12DrinkMore