NBA superstar Kobe Bryant fined $100,000 for homophobic slur

News_Editor

NBA superstar Kobe Bryant fined $100,000 for homophobic slur

2011-04-14 07:00:22 GMT+7 (ICT)

LOS ANGELES (BNO NEWS) -- The National Basketball Association (NBA) on Wednesday fined all-star shooting guard Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers $100,000 for insulting a referee with a homophobic slur during Tuesday night's game.

On Tuesday, the Lakers defeated the San Antonio Spurs in Los Angeles, but after referee Bennie Adams called a technical foul against Bryant in the third quarter, the five-time NBA champ stormed back to the bench, threw a towel, and yelled out a homophobic slur against Adams.

NBA Commissioner David Stern described the incident as "offensive and inexcusable," before announcing the $100,000 fine, which has been applauded by gay-rights groups.

In a statement released Wednesday afternoon, Bryant, 32, explained that what he had said Tuesday night should not be taken literally.

"My actions were out of frustration during the heat of the game, period. The words expressed do not reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were not meant to offend anyone," Bryant stated.

Bryant later talked on national media to reiterate that his words were not directed as an insult to anyone, expressing special concern since being a public figure and role model could inspire people to develop hate and discrimination.

However, Bryant did not make a public apology and Stern strongly condemned the incident, which was captured by TNT's national broadcast.

"While I'm fully aware that basketball is an emotional game," Stern said, "such a distasteful term should never be tolerated."

"Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000. Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-14