Can I Get A Non Immigrant Visa?

i tried to search but couldnt find the info i would like. im a canadian citizen, but would like to go back to thailand to live with my boyfriend (thai citizen). i would like to stay a year or more. what is this "family and friends" visa? would i be eligible for that? what are the details. can i apply for a work permit with this visa?

thanks for any help

How old are you?..........if over 50 you could consider whats commonally known as a retirement visa...........although i somehow think you are under 50.

This being the case(under 50)...........the Non Imm O (Multiple entry) based upon "visiting family and friends" is not available from every country.

The UK has a few Thai Consulates that will oblige for such a visa for UK citizens however i/m not quite so sure how the Thai Consulates in Canada would treat an application on the visiting "family and friends" basis.......maybe other Canadian members here will be of better assistance.

Assuming you can get the "O" visa then yes you can get a work permit on the back of it.

Failing the Non Imm O you will have to consider either a double or triple tourist visa that will give you up to 6 or 9 months respectively.........followed by a run down to Penang for a new double/triple entry visa when the first one runs out.

Even with the Non Imm O (Multi) you would have to exit/re-enter the country every 90 days.

I have had an 'o' category visa for a year now. It requires renewing in November. In UK I paid 90 pounds for the visa and was led to believe it would be a similar arrangement in Thailand to renew. My wife called the immigration office in Bangkok and she was told that I need 400,000 baht in the bank to get the visa. I really don’t want to have this kind of money in the bank here. Could anyone tell me if this is normally the case? I am 33 years old, have a Thai wife and a house here. I do not work in Thailand.

Thanks.

Richb2004:

Yes that is normal and that 400k should come from outside Thailand and be so documented. The basis for this visa extension of stay is to support your Thai wife and as you do not have a job here it will be expected that you have 400k in a bank account (can be joint with wife) to provide that support during the year extension of stay. You will also have to provide proof of your continuing relationship (she will have to go with you and sign papers and photos together at home may be requested). Read up on this forum for complete details as there are a few papers/copies required to take this route. Once done you don't have to leave Thailand and only have to make 90 day address reports and renew extension each year.

If you are unable/unwilling to do this you can take marriage certificate/copy, visa photos, copy of wife ID card and apply for a one year multi entry O visa from Penang or one of the other Consulates outside Thailand and continue the 90 day exit/entry routine.

Thanks for the advice.

I will probably go for the 90 day exit/ re-entry routine, as I work abroad and leave the country every 5 weeks anyway.

Richard

In that case the multi entry is exactly what you need. Most Consulates accept application only in the morning and provide visa the next afternoon.

yes, i am under 50, so i dont think i qualify for a retirement visa!

are there some canadians here that have some advice for me? is there a consulate here i would have more luck with over another?

i read in a previous post about needing your partners citizenship card...will a scanned or photocopied document work?

also, how long will this visa last? the reason i ask is that i will be on a sail boat for about 3 months around indonesia, so can i leave for that time and my visa would continue when i come back?

thanks again

elyse

also, how long will this visa last?  the reason i ask is that i will be on a sail boat for about 3 months around indonesia, so can i leave for that time and my visa would continue when i come back?

IF you can obtain a Non Immigrant O visa Multiple entry it will be valid for 1 year from the date the Embassy/Consulate issue it (not from when you enter Thailand the first time).

When you arrive you would recieve a 90 day stay after which you must exit and re-enter Thailand you can stay out the country for however long or short you wish...........upon re-entry you will recieve a further 90 day stay stamp and every further entry attracts a fresh 90 day stay.

If you re-enter on the 364th day of the visa's validity you would also recieve a 90 day stay stamp.........therefore with careful planning it is possible to get almost 15 months out of 1 visa.

I would have a word with the nearest Thai Consulate to you they will tell you if you have a chance of obtaining the "O" on the grounds you want........avoid the Thai Embassy though they tend to be more strict.

Good Luck.

so, ive been emailing with someone at the consulate and he made it pretty clear that there were only 2 ways for me to get this visa; i had to elther be the daughter or a thai national (or foreigner working in thailand) or be married to a thai national.

hmm...well, i still havent given up hope. if there are any canadians in the house, please let me know of your experiences.

thank you