Secret Handshakes, Codewords, And Dual Pricing.

CMSteve

There's a recent post comparing prices between two restaurants where posters are going back and forth about one being cheaper than the other if you apply the special "local expat" discount. Obviously, this just begs the question: Who has the "local expat" discount and how do you get/use them?

Hi Steve. I've been here a long time n I do believe there are a few places that have a flat locals discount, like the Holiday Inn for their buffet, though I don't know many. But I also see that some of my friends get discounts at local places just by being loyal patrons and dining their frequently. Since it is a small town, several owners will often throw in a discount to friends or frequenters.

In some cases around town, with Thai places, both food and otherwise, speaking some Thai or Kam Meuang specifically will get you a discount, or a local price.

And I've pointed out before that there's a Chiang Mai Dining Guide (www.diningguidechiangmai.com) that works with many local establishments and Meals on Wheels. Through either of them, you can buy gift vouchers for yourself or friends for 30% off. That's the biggest discount I know of around town. Some people have said they feel like they're using coupons or it would look cheap, but back in The States we both use these and give them as gifts all the time. They make good presents and you can use them yourself for 1/3 off the price. In these times, who has trouble with that ?!

Go online and check out the variety available, you might be surprised who has the vouchers. You'll see quite a variety of restaurants from all over town - German, Italian, Mexican, Japanese, bakery, lots !

G at The Pun Pun will give you 10% discount. You don't need to apply, just tell him your TV nickname. I'm not sure if you are with a group of non TV friends if they too would get the discount, but maybe G could clarify please.

The Empress Hotel sell a discount card, which brings their lunch buffet down to about 189 baht, which is a steal!

Gecko Garden has specials every day for under a 100 Baht, so you don't really need a discount card there.

Edited by uptheos

Hi Steve. I've been here a long time n I do believe there are a few places that have a flat locals discount, like the Holiday Inn for their buffet, though I don't know many. But I also see that some of my friends get discounts at local places just by being loyal patrons and dining their frequently. Since it is a small town, several owners will often throw in a discount to friends or frequenters.

In some cases around town, with Thai places, both food and otherwise, speaking some Thai or Kam Meuang specifically will get you a discount, or a local price.

And I've pointed out before that there's a Chiang Mai Dining Guide (www.diningguidechiangmai.com) that works with many local establishments and Meals on Wheels. Through either of them, you can buy gift vouchers for yourself or friends for 30% off. That's the biggest discount I know of around town. Some people have said they feel like they're using coupons or it would look cheap, but back in The States we both use these and give them as gifts all the time. They make good presents and you can use them yourself for 1/3 off the price. In these times, who has trouble with that ?!

Go online and check out the variety available, you might be surprised who has the vouchers. You'll see quite a variety of restaurants from all over town - German, Italian, Mexican, Japanese, bakery, lots !

Hi

that's slightly misleading...

you can buy a 250 baht voucher for 175 baht (30% dicount), BUT only one voucher per customer. SO it's really just a 75 baht discount not 30%

unless you limit yourself to spending exactly 250 baht of course.

David

Edited by DavidOxon

G at The Pun Pun will give you 10% discount. You don't need to apply, just tell him your TV nickname. I'm not sure if you are with a group of non TV friends if they too would get the discount, but maybe G could clarify please.

The Empress Hotel sell a discount card, which brings their lunch buffet down to about 189 baht, which is a steal!

Gecko Garden has specials every day for under a 100 Baht, so you don't really need a discount card there.

I can vouch for the Pun Pun,John is a good fella :jap:

What would the discount card cost?

David, you have a valid point, but if you see it my way it's 30% off. I buy 1000B worth of vouchers and pay only 700B for them. That's 30% off what I will spend on food at one of the given restaurants. The point of contention is that some places started to get annoyed at some customers coming in and using two or more vouchers to cover their meals - that's a pretty elaborate meal getting up there to 750 B/ person - and then using a free dessert coupon clipped form City Life, and then not tipping at the end. I know for the few who felt they were beating the system it was awesome, but to the restaurants it felt like a big F-you to the owners and their staff. So... they clamped down and that has put some restrictions on things. But Even at Chez Marco it is possible to have an appetizer and lighter entree for the 250 B voucher allotment. I usually order more anyway and leave a tip as well, so it's good for everyone. So if I do some math.... 30% off on 80% of meal, then add an extra 100 B at reg price, that's still 24% off overall. It's still nice for me, and bigger than the 10% most places give locals.

I'm about to go try an experimental restaurant (experiment for me - macrobiotic food) and eat at Tianzi this month. The voucher discount makes me feel like it's a win-win opportunity to try out and for them to potentially get a new customer.

Thanks to all for the input

So far it looks like the Pun Pun and Olde Bell are the only ones listed with the "good guy" discount. Guess the others are paid membership and discount coupons.

BTW, seems that Pun Pun uses TV as a proof of local expat status. Anyone have any idea what the Olde Bell would ask for?

Edited by CMSteve

What UG - a well known local figure (more ways than one)- is getting at is one of my points from my 1st post. You can't beat getting to know the manager/owner of the establishments around town. Many will put out a little something like a free app, free dessert, or automatically take a small chunk off the price just on the fact on knowing you're a local and you having some sort of friendly relationship. The town's still small enough and every loyal customer important enough that there's no need to institutionalize the discount thing.

There's one local seafood place that many of us go to that also gets plenty of holiday-maker traffic. I always go there and also take guests in town to show off some of my favorite seafood in town. After about a year or two going there I went up and introduced myself explaining I was a local and always bring guests to his restaurant, isn't there some kind of discount for that. For the last 6 yrs I get an automatic discount off my party's bill. It never hurts to just go up and ask.

I've used those 30% off gift vouchers at 7 or 8 restaurants in CM. It's a good way to try someplace new and a good way for restaurants to attract new customers. I've used multiple vouchers at several of them and only once did I have a problem. It's such a good deal that I always leave a bigger tip than usual when I use the vouchers (and I'm an American so I over-tip to begin with). I've always been welcomed back to those restaurants so I guess they don't have a problem with the system.

Now, where can I get the free dessert?

I have FREE discount cards for:

Holiday Inn

Rachamanka

The Chedi

Four Seasons

Kantary Hills

The House

Ginger Kafe

Brix

And paid discount card for the Dhara Dhevi

Butter is Better will soon offer a locals discount card too!

Edited by Sansai Sam

I have FREE discount cards for:

Holiday Inn

Rachamanka

The Chedi

Four Seasons

Kantary Hills

The House

Ginger Kafe

Brix

And paid discount card for the Dhara Dhevi

Butter is Better will soon offer a locals discount card too!

This is very good news. thumbsup.gif

I guess I'm not explaining myself very well. If I were to walk by any of these hotels, I would see th advertisements for their member/discount plans. Those do not require the secret handshake nor decoder ring. I'm really hoping to find the non-advertised, but still well know, or maybe not so well known.

So far, I have :

The Pun Pun - Secret password: TV user name

The Olde Bell, John's bar, Stephanos Italian, and the Art Cafe - are either unconfirmed or only offer to "friends and family"

Any others, or more specifics on how we get a "gold card" ,as it were, would be appreciated

If I were to walk by any of these hotels, I would see th advertisements for their member/discount plans.

No you would probably not see advertisements for their discount plans, probably not even if you went and looked inside at many of them.

Hi Steve, I've been in Chiang Mai more than 5 years and think what you are asking for doesn't really exist anywhere. People start a business, consider their costs and set their prices based on the amount of profit they want to make. All the discounts they give under their regular prices are, like someone said earlier, given to family and close friends. If there are discounts, they are usually advertised.

I do recommend Gekko Garden restaurant. Rudy does have a special every day of the week for less than 100 baht. I don't know why more people don't eat there.

Thanks for the input, attempt at humor are always appreciated.

The simple fact is almost all, if not all hotels in CM have discount cards/memberships. This is a well know fact, but it also helps to be able to read Thai, or at least have someone with you that can.

As I went on to say after the quote you so whimsically orphaned, these are not the ones I'm looking for.

I am more interested in the expat's offering expat's discounts. I would really appreciate if you could add any of your vast knowledge of local discounts within these parameters.

If I were to walk by any of these hotels, I would see th advertisements for their member/discount plans.

No you would probably not see advertisements for their discount plans, probably not even if you went and looked inside at many of them.

Thank You!!!! This is my theory also. They are not necessary discount available to any expat, but more of a friends and family, or scratch my back, I'll scratch your basis.

If anyone can correct me or add any useful information, I'd appreciate it.

Hi Steve, I've been in Chiang Mai more than 5 years and think what you are asking for doesn't really exist anywhere. People start a business, consider their costs and set their prices based on the amount of profit they want to make. All the discounts they give under their regular prices are, like someone said earlier, given to family and close friends. If there are discounts, they are usually advertised.

I do recommend Gekko Garden restaurant. Rudy does have a special every day of the week for less than 100 baht. I don't know why more people don't eat there.

Thank You!!!! This is my theory also. They are not necessary discount available to any expat, but more of a friends and family, or scratch my back, I'll scratch your basis.

I think that it is more of a thing to reward frequent customers. I do not usually ask for a discount, but have noticed that after I go to a restaurant a few times, some places start giving me a 10% discount automatically which can convince me to go more often than I might otherwise.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The simple fact is almost all, if not all hotels in CM have discount cards/memberships. This is a well know fact, but it also helps to be able to read Thai, or at least have someone with you that can.

As I went on to say after the quote you so whimsically orphaned, these are not the ones I'm looking for.

I am more interested in the expat's offering expat's discounts. I would really appreciate if you could add any of your vast knowledge of local discounts within these parameters.

Your parameters have repeatedly changed from your original post, first discounts, then not hotel discounts, then not discount coupons, then only discounts from expats to expats which seems to me to be a bit discriminatory ..........

I don't really understand what you are asking either. I've been here over 10 years and there are places that give me an automatic discount but to be honest they would not give it to you. It's all about friends, loyalty and frequency of visits. You have to earn it or build it...you don't just get it. The only ones you get automatically are the one's with advertised cards or offers.

Edited by Sansai Sam

First mention of parameters was my very last post. If you can add anything helpful to those parameters it would be helpful.

If you consider this practice discriminatory, don't accept the discount. I'm a "cheap charley' and am always happy for a discount.

Your parameters have repeatedly changed from your original post, first discounts, then not hotel discounts, then not discount coupons, then only discounts from expats to expats which seems to me to be a bit discriminatory ..........

I guess I just lumped the "frequenter's" with the "friends and family" this is one time where blending in is not helpful!

I think that it is more of a thing to reward frequent customers. I do not usually ask for a discount, but have noticed that after I go to a restaurant a few times, some places start giving me a 10% discount automatically which can convince me to go more often than I might otherwise.

I'm starting to think maybe it doesn't exist. I've heard on another thread that an advertiser offered discounts to "local expat's". So I wanted to find what were the requirements and who else offered the same type of discounts. Either we are all missing something or they are the only establishment that offers this type of discount. Note: I still haven't confirmed that this specific discount really only requires being a "local expat" or if there is something else required. Will let everyone know if I get anything.

I don't really understand what you are asking either. I've been here over 10 years and there are places that give me an automatic discount but to be honest they would not give it to you. It's all about friends, loyalty and frequency of visits. You have to earn it or build it...you don't just get it. The only ones you get automatically are the one's with advertised cards or offers.

Edited by CMSteve

UPDATE!!!! It does exist and takes almost nothing to do. see quote from Pedr at The Olde Bell below:

"The discount is open to all local ex-pats who are resident in Chiang Mai for more than 4 months a year. All you need is a valid email address, your word is good enough to prove your residency status. The discount card gets you 10% off pretty much everything apart from few promotional items. You get 15% on Thursdays. We're a bit short of meat pies until Tuesday as this thread caused a rush in sales yesterday!! At the moment we've got:-

Steak and Kidlney Pie (Sausage King)

Steak and Onion Pie (Sausage King)

Mixed Vegetable Pie (Sausage King)

Chicken and Mushroom Pie (Sausage King)

Aussie Meat Pie (Lady Pies, Phuket)

Steak and Vegetable Pie ( A bloke named Roy who doesn't have a company name)

In a simiar vein, we also have:-

Cornish Pasties (Tower Bridge Foods)

Pork Pies (Yorkies, Pattaya)

These are served with either British/Australian Chips, boiled new potatoes or mash, together with vegetables and gravy. enjoy!

We also do various Italian dishes - but we couldn't compete with Sergio's 189 baht buffet. Has anyone been yet as a result of this thread? Any chance of some feedback? "

Edited by CMSteve