Police On Alert As Revelers Return To Bangkok; Road Fatalities Climb Up

webfact

Police on alert as revelers return to Bangkok; Road fatalities climb up

BANGKOK, April 16 -- Police nationwide are on alert as revelers of this year’s Songkran festival start returning to Bangkok, while casualties from road accidents during the first five days of the “seven dangerous days,” continue increasing, a senior police officer said Saturday.

Assistant national police chief Pol Lt Gen Danaithorn Wongthai told a press conference that statistics compiled by the Road Safety Centre of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation showed that cumulative road accidents throughout Thailand during the first five days, ending Friday, stood at 2,584, down 9.75 per cent from the same period last year.

The number of people killed in accidents during the period was at 188, a decrease of 26.85 per cent from the same period in 2010, and 2,786 people were injured, also down 10.24 per cent.

Ayutthaya recorded the most deaths at 10 during the five-day period followed by Bangkok at nine. The southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat recorded most injuries at 124 followed by the northernmost province of Chiang Rai at 107.

Drinking-and-driving was the major cause of the total accidents with about 39 percent, followed by 31 percent of motorcyclists and passengers not wearing safety helmets while travelling.

The assistant national police chief said most holidaymakers in Songkran festival, Thailand’s traditional New Year which officially ended yesterday, are expected to return to Bangkok and their hometowns to resume work next week, and police have been ordered to be on alert on highways or main roads because traffic would be heavier than usual. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-04-16

Mo Chit crowded with returning vacationers

BANGKOK, 16 April 2011 (NNT) – Mo Chit 2 Bus Terminal has started welcoming a flow of people who return from their Songkran celebration outside Bangkok while more of them are expected to arrive this evening.

As the Thai New Year of Songkran has come to an end, holidaymakers have begun their travel back to the city after celebrating the occasion with families in their hometowns. Mo Chit 2 Bus Terminal has been swarmed with arriving passengers, most of whom coming from nearby provinces. A larger crowd is to be seen later today as people are trying to avoid heavy traffic tomorrow and to come back early to spend the remaining time resting before resuming work on Monday.

Authorities at the bus terminal have warned passengers to keep their eyes on their valuable belongings as the bustling scene is conducive to theft. As for traffic around the terminal, congestion is reportedly building up, especially on Kamphaengphet Road.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-04-16 footer_n.gif

I was driving from Phuket to Hua Hin (started at 06:00) over a distance of about 630 Km. No special dense traffic unless at the beginning of the afternoon (13:00 onwards). Accidents more and more as approaching Hua Hin, most of them by driving too closely to each other and not being able to break at short distance anymore (tail-licking).

But the helmets worry me the most. Once out of the cities or the communities: NO ONE CARRIES A HELMET ANYMORE.... Some of them even have them in their small motorbike in front, in case there is control... Can it be more dumb than that?

Generally spoken: no aggressive driving, correct behaviour, safe, slowly (not more than 110 Km/hr)and respectful towards each other. In my opinion a big difference with last year. Or did I take the right moment to drive home? I arrived at 14:00 in Hua Hin at the Hotel or 630 km in 8 hours...

Edited by dude007

I was driving from Phuket to Hua Hin (started at 06:00) over a distance of about 630 Km. No special dense traffic unless at the beginning of the afternoon (13:00 onwards). Accidents more and more as approaching Hua Hin, most of them by driving too closely to each other and not being able to break at short distance anymore (tail-licking).

But the helmets worry me the most. Once out of the cities or the communities: NO ONE CARRIES A HELMET ANYMORE.... Some of them even have them in their small motorbike in front, in case there is control... Can it be more dumb than that?

Generally spoken: no aggressive driving, correct behaviour, safe, slowly (not more than 110 Km/hr)and respectful towards each other. In my opinion a big difference with last year. Or did I take the right moment to drive home? I arrived at 14:00 in Hua Hin at the Hotel or 630 km in 8 hours...

I saw a guy yesterday riding a motorbike one handed. In his other hand, his crash helmet?

jb1

I saw a guy yesterday riding a motorbike one handed. In his other hand, his crash helmet?

jb1

Some will die, some will get injured and maybe wiser, this happens all over the world, some don't know better, some don't care, many are drunk, there could never be enough police to handle such a problem, same as being on the phone, eating, some in a hurry (hurry to die) Age makes no difference, could be unknowing death wishes. The problem is, they also take the lives of caring safe riding or driving people.

No place to run, no place to hide, just be damm careful.

jb1

My all time favourite was the young girl riding her bike one handed with her helmet in the other hand held up to keep the sun off her face. At times like that I wish I carried a camera.

jb1

Some will die, some will get injured and maybe wiser, this happens all over the world, some don't know better, some don't care, many are drunk, there could never be enough police to handle such a problem, same as being on the phone, eating, some in a hurry (hurry to die) Age makes no difference, could be unknowing death wishes. The problem is, they also take the lives of caring safe riding or driving people.

No place to run, no place to hide, just be damm careful.

Wow! What have you been smoking?

Also i am told that songkran was rained out around Chiang Mai.

No rain out in Chiangmai, The weather started rainy, but the sun did come out and is now hot as cool.gif sh*t. The weather did not stop the festivities at all. People were having a great time for the most part.

jb1

I guess I saw the same guy, but he had exchanged the helmet against a baby when I saw him

Itsd been really nice driving around Bang Na / Bang Phli the last couple of days, and amazingly its been almost a week since I saw white paint on Soi Watseewarinoi, which must be a record for this road.

I guess Monday will be back to usual.

and why nobody controlls all the illegal passengers on the loading area of the pick-ups?? wearing no helmets , no safety belts, no seats.

With stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.

so corrupt police, never ask me again for my helmet!! half of my brain includes an airbag!!

***sure, i bring certificate and no wrong ***

Give them a break for gods sake. This is a huge effort and everyone around the country is hearing about it. Hopfully their getting it and the final death count will be lower. If the 25% reduction holds it will have to be some kind of a world record.

"Drinking-and-driving was the major cause of the total accidents with about 39 percent, followed by 31 percent of motorcyclists and passengers not wearing safety helmets while travelling."

I guess the police are really doing their jobs. I see no drinking signs all around , but unfortunately they are only at the police stations. 10 meters aways everyone is drunk and dancing on the roads. The police do nothing untill someone complains. then they try but it still doesnt work. Thais can not do two things at one time - drink and drive, talk on the phone and drive. Ever watch? Funny.

Holiday road fatalities down by more than a quarter after 5 dangerous days

By The Nation on Sunday.

30153248-01.jpg

Total number of accidents and injuries also down significantly; extra buses and trains put on to Bangkok

This Songkran period has so far seen a decrease in cumulative road casualties, with 188 deaths (69 cases or 27 per cent lower) and 2,786 injuries (318 cases or 10 per cent lower) from 2,584 accidents nationwide (297 cases or 10 per cent lower), according to the Road Safety Centre yesterday.

On Friday alone, the fifth of the "seven dangerous" Songkran holiday days, 443 road accidents killed 40 people and wounded 470 others. These figures were also lower than those for last year's Songkran fifth day, which had 521 accidents, 46 deaths and 585 injuries.

Drunk driving was the major cause of accidents at 39 per cent, followed by motorcyclists and passengers not wearing safety helmets at 31 per cent, assistant national police chief Lt-General Danaithorn Wongthai told a press conference.

A third of accidents took place from 4pm to 8pm, he said.

Most accidents involved motorcycles at 77 per cent and nearly half (49 per cent) of road casualties were those aged between 20 and 49, he said.

Some 70,500 officials manning 2,507 checkpoints arrested 103,461 law-breaking motorists - mostly for not wearing helmets and failing to show a driver's licence.

While Ayutthaya recorded the most cumulative deaths at 10 followed by Bangkok at nine, Nakhon Si Thammarat reported the most injuries at 124 followed by Chiang Rai at 107.

Nakhon Si Thammarat and Chiang Rai also reigned top for cumulative accidents at 117 and 100 accidents respectively, Danaithorn said.

The assistant national police chief said that most holidaymakers were now expected to return to Bangkok and other provinces to resume work next week. So police were instructed to be on alert for heavier traffic on highways and main roads, and to ensure public transport drivers were alcohol-free.

While several highways into Bangkok yesterday saw a thicker volume of traffic, especially Nakhon Ratchasima's Mitraparp Highway, packed train and bus services prompted transport operators to add more trips, as to cater to the huge demand.

Nakhon Ratchasima Transport Office increased their Bangkok-bound bus service to 500 trips, compared to the usual 200 trips per day, and also reserved another 50 air-conditioned buses on standby. Buri Ram bus terminal also added 50 bus trips, meaning there were now 84 bus trips per day through today, to support the expected 5,000 travellers per day - five times more than usual.

A large number of travellers were also seen queuing at Songkhla's Hat Yai bus station in hopes of buying extra bus tickets, after the tickets for all 35 regular buses destined for Bangkok were fully booked. The station added 21 bus trips to meet the increased passenger demands.

In Chiang Mai, the provincial bus terminal also added 100 Bangkok-bound bus trips this weekend after the tickets for the usual 90 bus trips to Bangkok were fully booked. An estimated 40,000 travellers left Chiang Mai yesterday.

With at least 120,000 Bangkok-bound train travellers expected, the State Railway of Thailand added a total of 12 free trains per day until through Monday for the No 962 Sila-ard-Bangkok route, the No 976 Si Sa Ket-Bangkok route, the No 936 Udon Thani-Bangkok route and the No 935 Ubon Ratchathani-Bangkok route.

In related news, Chiang Mai International Airport director Raweewan Nettrakavessana yesterday said that the domestic and international flights from Tuesday through today were up by 10 per cent, including the 20 additional Bangkok-Chiang Mai flights by THAI and the eight additional Nakhon Ratchasima-Chiang Mai flights.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-17

Give them a break for gods sake. This is a huge effort and everyone around the country is hearing about it. Hopfully their getting it and the final death count will be lower. If the 25% reduction holds it will have to be some kind of a world record.

My thoughts exactly. Let's have a little positive feedback for a change. I know that personally my behaivor has changed because of this campaign, and I am especially careful these days. I believe that many others have made an effort too be safer as well. Considering that populations are rising and that the percentages are dropping, I would like to think that some people are wising up.

Heck, we got rained out the 1st day here in Phoenix, Arizona. the next day, beautiful.. go figure..

Is there a celebration of Songkran in Phoenix? Lord knows they would welcome it, but it is hard to imagine. You would be standing on the street in the blaring heat throwing buckets of water at cars all day hoping that the drivers know about the festival and don't get out and beat you up.

Heck, we got rained out the 1st day here in Phoenix, Arizona. the next day, beautiful.. go figure..

Is there a celebration of Songkran in Phoenix? Lord knows they would welcome it, but it is hard to imagine. You would be standing on the street in the blaring heat throwing buckets of water at cars all day hoping that the drivers know about the festival and don't get out and beat you up.

I donot know about Phionex but in Albuquerque we have a celebration at all of the Wats.

It seems to me that several aspects need looking at properly rather than just accepting the word of uncritical reporters who have been given press handouts by the police.......

I'd suggest the maths may well be optimistic.

So far the number of deaths represent little more than natural statistical variation as the claims of a 25% decrease are relying on the relatively small numbers. (thankfully)

A reduction in the death toll is obviously a welcome thing but a REAL improvement in road safety in Thailand cannot be judged by the limited stats for one event on one year. It will need to be demonstrated over a longer period.

I've been up to Laos and back and have taken routes to avoid the carnage, but I am still concerned about the potential dangers that both drivers and pedestrians expose themselves to. Children playing in the main roads is particularly disturbing.

For one reason or another the police are seen as the authority who should deal with road safety - why? - In Thailand they seem to have an incredibly limited knowledge of the issues surrounding the problem and have little or no idea about prevention and rely on myths and threats of enforcement (usually not followed through) to try to get some effect.

Furthermore tHe compilation of statistics needs to be examined. I suspect that they are "adjusted" to suit the purposes of those trying to claim success here.

how have they defined deaths related to Song Khran this year? THey also seem to be releasing figures very quickly with little or no analysis.

The truth about the road toll over the holiday will probably never be established, just a series of "sound bites" issued by people who want to claim their campaigns etc have worked.

I'd suggest they all should be taken with a LARGE pinch of salt.