Suspected rebels kill eight in troubled northeast India

News_Editor

Suspected rebels kill eight in troubled northeast India

2011-04-16 20:46:42 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEW DELHI, INDIA (BNO NEWS) -- At least eight people were killed when rebels attacked the security convoy of an independent lawmaker in India's northeastern state of Manipur, Press Trust of India reported Saturday.

Unidentified militants on Friday afternoon opened fire at the convoy of Wungnaoshang Keishing when he was returning from a convention on HIV/AIDS at Riha village in Ukhrul district bordering Myanmar. Six security personnel and a driver were killed, while a companion of Keishing succumbed to his injuries on Saturday morning. Six others were injured, including Keishing who suffered injuries on his hand.

"I do not know who attacked my convoy, but I regret that some civilians and innocent security guards of mine were killed in the attack by some anti-social elements," Keishing told the local media on Saturday.

Keishing has been demanding that his constituency, Phungyar, in Ukhrul be carved into a separate district. A civil society organization has opposed carving out a new district from Ukhrul.

No militant group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

At least 20 militant groups, which demand secession and greater autonomy, are active in Manipur.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-16