Crime In Pattaya

toenail

I realize any holiday spot around the world has its share of crazy vacationers and locals who prey on the tourist. Whenever I read the local newspaper (or hear a few stories from my friends living in Pattaya) I wonder how many weekly/daily crimes there are in "Sin City"? I realize it would be bad PR if the local newspapers and newschannels reported every purse snatching, farang being robbed in his hotel room, a farang "falling" off his balcony, or some (ting tong) farang walking down Beach Road at 3 in the morning being taken advantage of by katoeys... There certainly has to be more than what is reported in the papers. Does anyone know?

My GF and I having been victims of crime in Jomtien 7 weeks ago - the first time in her life in Thailand and also mine in 5 years in Thailand - you might think there is little crime. But once we started talking about our experience with neighbours and friends it seems it is all too common. I know some expats who are volunteer police, but I do not really have anything to do with them, they told me that basically, crime is rife. What you see in the local papers and cable t.v. is merely sensationalized details of a fraction of what actually goes on.

My GF was told by the locksmith who came to change our locks that he is kept busy doing this due to the amount of crime. Much of which goes unreported by locals to the police as the average law abiding Thai national has the same low opinion of the Thai constabulary as the rest of us.

The locksmith went on to tell us he and his friends have their own crime reporting and investigating network on the street as they cannot trust the police. Obviously they "mete" out their own punishment if they find the crooks. I am not condoning vigilanty gangs but I understand where they are coming from.

Because, any police force accountable to nobody, that has a promotion scheme based on money changing hands and lawless officers demanding money from everyone they decide to stop at the roadside for imagainary charges will have no respect and deserves just utter contempt.

On the plus side, only once in five years.

I am sure I will be flamed with " I've lived here for forty years and never had any thing happen" But believe me when it does happen it is a sickening experience.

The same week we were robbed, someone I know had his house broken into and his car stolen, all his wife's jewelry and electrical goods taken. But that was in the U.K......whilst he was on holiday in Thailand....hey lifes a bitch....

It is a question I have contemplated many times. Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, and the tourist oriented sections of Bangkok attract more than their share of people who like to live on the edge of the law, from both the Thai and the farang sides of the population. Yes, Lonewolf99, I have lived here for many years, and had virtually no problems with criminals, and no problems whatsoever with the police. After more than 15 yrs. here in Thailand, all that I have to report are three robberies of relatively small amounts of cash, and one theft of a broken camera.

Here is a, not necessarily exhaustive, list of the rules that I follow:

1. Don't drive a car - this eliminates courruption re speeding tickets etc. I don't mind spending money for a taxi, when public transportation won't take me where I want to go.

2. Rent, don't buy your living quarters. This eliminates the need to spend a lot of money on security, and also enables quick relocation, if an unresolvable security issue does present itself.

3. Avoid being out on the streets after about 9:00 p.m. or so. (After most people who would be working or shopping during normal business hours have returned home for the evening.) Late at night, avoid venturing into areas where you might become lost or disoriented. If necessary, make an orientation visit during daylight hours, to prepare yourself for a visit after dark. Most street crime, especialy the serious stuff, occurs in the wee hours, when there are few, if any, witnesses around.

4. Don't walk around wearing your most expensive clothing, and dripping with jewellery.

5. Carry your wallet, mobile phone, and anything else of value, in a front trouser pocket. Consider whether the "anything else" is anything that you actually need to be carrying around with you.

6. There are ATM's everywhere in Thailand; there is no need to be walking around with any more money than what you are going to spend in the next few hours.

7. If female, don't carry a purse, especially the "over the shoulder" variety. You can be seriously injured if a passing robber on a motorcycle grabs one of those. (See #5. above.)

8. Avoid becoming inebriated etc. in public places. This sets you up as an easy "mark", who may not even know that he has been pickpocketed until it is much too late to do anything about it.

9. If inviting a stranger to your home/hotel room take sensible precautions - see #'s 4, 6 and 8 above. Be cautious in accompanying someone whom you have just met to a place of their choosing.

10. If you are a resident (as opposed to a tourist), learn to speak as much Thai as you possibly can. This goes a long way towards createing an impression that you are someone to be reckoned with, and hence, not to be selected as the "victim of the day" (or night).

It is a question I have contemplated many times. Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, and the tourist oriented sections of Bangkok attract more than their share of people who like to live on the edge of the law, from both the Thai and the farang sides of the population. Yes, Lonewolf99, I have lived here for many years, and had virtually no problems with criminals, and no problems whatsoever with the police. After more than 15 yrs. here in Thailand, all that I have to report are three robberies of relatively small amounts of cash, and one theft of a broken camera.

1. Don't drive a car - this eliminates courruption re speeding tickets etc. I don't mind spending money for a taxi, when public transportation won't take me where I want to go.

2. Rent, don't buy your living quarters. This eliminates the need to spend a lot of money on security, and also enables quick relocation, if an unresolvable security issue does present itself.

3. Avoid being out on the streets after about 9:00 p.m. or so. (After most people who would be working or shopping during normal business hours have returned home for the evening.) Late at night, avoid venturing into areas where you might become lost or disoriented. If necessary, make an orientation visit during daylight hours, to prepare yourself for a visit after dark. Most street crime, especialy the serious stuff, occurs in the wee hours, when there are few, if any, witnesses around.

4. Don't walk around wearing your most expensive clothing, and dripping with jewellery.

5. Carry your wallet, mobile phone, and anything else of value, in a front trouser pocket. Consider whether the "anything else" is anything that you actually need to be carrying around with you.

6. There are ATM's everywhere in Thailand; there is no need to be walking around with any more money than what you are going to spend in the next few hours.

7. If female, don't carry a purse, especially the "over the shoulder" variety. You can be seriously injured if a passing robber on a motorcycle grabs one of those. (See #5. above.)

8. Avoid becoming inebriated etc. in public places. This sets you up as an easy "mark", who may not even know that he has been pickpocketed until it is much too late to do anything about it.

9. If inviting a stranger to your home/hotel room take sensible precautions - see #'s 4, 6 and 8 above. Be cautious in accompanying someone whom you have just met to a place of their choosing.

10. If you are a resident (as opposed to a tourist), learn to speak as much Thai as you possibly can. This goes a long way towards createing an impression that you are someone to be reckoned with, and hence, not to be selected as the "victim of the day" (or night).

Good advice. Crime has increased substantially over the past ten years and shows no sign of a reversal. Young Thai males have been taught to "hate" farangs. It simmers beneath the surface but sometimes comes to the surface. The situation has changed here. It is moving in a bad direction. I can't even begin to count on the number of assaults and thefts, etc., against farangs. And we are reading about murders that are being covered up as "random, normal events" in places like Phuket and Chiang Mai. I, for one, am looking at other places to retire.

All excellent advise and believe me I follow almost all of them myself. But I occassionaly hire a car - trips up country and when my daughters visit. So when I get asked for 400 Baht because it is a brand new Hire car with red plates and the Police know that the initial registration docs are not through due to the stupid bureaucratic system that a new car is a new car for 6 months then it is an old car !!! And told that "in thailand we drive on the left" and he wants 600 Baht for telling me that as if I had not been doing so for 30 odd years in the U.K....any way I digress....I thought I was doing well until 7 weeks ago. Pom mai mee chock dee ...eventually.

Some really good and sensible advice here. However i cant quite get my head round number 3. I am trying to envisage what Pattaya would be like if nobody went out on the streets after 9 pm!

Well it is hard to say how bad it is, so hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

I drive a car here for 3 years and got 2 speeding tickets so far and I was speeding (400 bath total). Always have a class A insurance on your car so bail bond is covered.

Wife and I owns a nice house in North Pattaya, and yes we got iron bars on all windows. I am working overseas for 2 month a the time, so my wife stay alone with our infant son, so I did it for piece in mind for both of us.

I go out for beers 1-2 a week and always take a motorcycle taxi down town and back, sometimes comes home at 0200 in the morning pretty shit faced, never had a problem. I normally go to the bars on Beach/second road, go to walking street once/twice a year only. I only bring app. 5000 bath when going out, ATM cards/driver licenses and so on stays home.

I still find the Thais friendly, if you are polite and friendly to wards them they will be the same to you in my experience. I seen a lot of really arrogant farangs, no wonder the Thais don't like them.

What I fear most here is the drug abusers, you don't know how they will act so I keep my distance when I see one of those. At least the police are trying to do something about it.

I have no plans of leaving Pattaya

Good advice Allane #3...

I must admit the only times I have been a victim of crime living here

in Pattaya was when I was drunk. To be honest I probably deserved

the flogging I coped. Live and learn I guess. :D

I've never seen any objective crime data for Pattaya, but my opinion is that some crimes like purse and neckless snatching have increased but the major stuff has stayed steady. Most of the crime that happens is around the bars where drunk farangs make an easier mark. The other crime we hear a lot about involves bringing girls back to the room.

I'm not hanging out in the bars or on the beach late at night so I'm not seeing it. There are stories that people tell, but I think that the Thais are more likely to help you than to hurt you if you are behaving and showing a little respect. What I see far more often is farang being surley and disrespectful to Thai service people for no reason other than their impatience. That's not a crime but it is unneccessary and I wonder how much it contributes to the resentment some Thai's feel towards us.

Good advice. Crime has increased substantially over the past ten years and shows no sign of a reversal. Young Thai males have been taught to "hate" farangs. It simmers beneath the surface but sometimes comes to the surface. The situation has changed here. It is moving in a bad direction. I can't even begin to count on the number of assaults and thefts, etc., against farangs. And we are reading about murders that are being covered up as "random, normal events" in places like Phuket and Chiang Mai. I, for one, am looking at other places to retire.

I am curious about the statement that "young thai males have been taught to hate farangs". Who is teaching this and why are they doing it? I am truly curious. Thank you.

In almost all cases I see reported on TV Drugs is the reason for most crime.

I6 years ago I never heard much re drug use in Pattaya

The UK used to be 'safe' but once the west indian drug dealers found a new market things there soon changed...for the worse.

A hardened drug addict will do anything to buy drugs.

Carrying small amounts with you will not protect you.It will only mean you lose less.

A police seargent in london told me 20 years ago that most 'muggings' in London were carried out on teenage schoolboys.

a gang of older teenagers would surround a couple of schoolboys and take their pocket money.

The muggers had learnt that NOBODY would interfere with a group of young boys 'arguing'.

A dozen of these 'arguments' daily would produce a sizeable income.

Pattaya is well tame compared to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Doncaster, Birmingham, Manchester............

If you are lucky enough to call Pattaya your home as opposed to any of the above - consider yourself very lucky, i do !!!!!

I feel safer in Pattaya than anywhere in America.:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../world-13110039

Where I work/live when I am in Port Canaveral Florida is very safe and actually much safer than Pattaya if you factor in the road related fatalities and injuries incurred here. Your link is about 2 young Britts (RIP) wandering around a known gang infested area of Sarasota, Forida at 3am. http://www.guardian....-florida-arrest

Edited by dananderson

On my second visit to Pattaya with a buddy of mine, my buddy got mugged at knife point when he went into an alley to pet a soi dog! Yes, he was drunk. He showed up the next morning at our room. He had spent the night in an alley sharing a drink with some homeless guy!

Never gottne mugged myself.

farang= potential target $$$$

Had to go to immigration due to visa issues, had to pay a fine. The amount I had to pay was settled on before I went to the office. Once I got there one dude asked for 2000bt to process my paper in one day, otherwise I would have to stay overnight. I didnt pay, but my papeers were still finished by days end. just a small story about corruption in happi, happi land!

Youève ONLY been burgled 3 times in over a decade...personally that seems like a lot. Never been burgled in farangland, yet....