Not Sure Which All New Model Kindle To Buy?!?

Jingthing

OK, I intend to buy one of the new model Kindles very soon.

My situation. I will buy the unit in the US and likely activate it there (which I understand is a requirement?). In Thailand, I don't have WIFI, so will be getting books into via USB cable. I assume 3G is coming soon to Thailand but I don't see a great benefit to the 3G for browsing as I understand it's not really a great device for internet compared to an Ipad. Buying for reading.

So the cheapest option sounds best. They feed you some ads but they don't show up when reading. As I won't have wireless in Thailand, my paranoia is that something won't work because they won't be able to feed me new ads if my only use is USB file inputs.

Anything else I should be concerned abouts? Opinions?

Here are the choices --

Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers

by Amazon

CHOICE ONE

Kindle with Special Offers $114

Same bestselling Kindle, plus special offers and sponsored screensavers. Learn more

Special offers and sponsored screensavers display on the Kindle screensaver and on the bottom of the home screen—they don't interrupt reading.

Kindle with Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers is only available in the U.S.

Current quantity limit is 3 Kindle devices per customer.

CHOICE TWO

Kindle (Wi-Fi, 6") is available for $139.

CHOICE THREE

Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6") is available for $189.

I got the Kindle WiFi only and never missed 3G. I did try the built in "experimental" browser to read email just to see how it was but due to the slow screen update of the eInk screen it's practically useless for this purpose.

Having said that, the Nook is said to come out in a color version May 1st @ US$249 and there are plenty of rumors of a similar Kindle color, so that's worth considering too.

I don't know anything about the ad-sponsored version but I imagine it comes with some ads preset and if you never connect it to wifi you'll just keep seeing these ads. Anyway, the standard screensaver images were awful and the first thing I did was find a website explaining how to hack the Kindle and change to my own screensaver images. I expect you probably could do that with the ad-sponsored version as well if the ads were annoying enough. (From the pictures they seem a lot nicer than the standard screensavers.)

Thanks, that's good info. I don't see why I would care about screensavers because once you start reading they go away. Otherwise, why care what garbage is on there? My concern is that there is some hidden catch with the cheaper price, if you don't periodically switch on the wireless to feed in more promotional content that they might disable the unit. Probably paranoid. It's cheaper, but at what cost?

Edited by Jingthing

The thing to remember is that on a Kindle the "screensaver" isn't really a screensaver but just something to display to show the user that it is in sleep mode. The eInk display does not use any power once the image has been generated so it is always there when your Kindle is lying around, and you really do see the screensaver all the time.

I can't imagine they would sabotage your Kindle just because you don't connect with Wifi from time to time. That would surely backfire and they're too clever to risk that.

I have had your option 2 model for last 6 months and wouldn't be without it here in Thailand. In my case I use the same wireless as my lap top uses. Previously had a Kindle DX with the larger screen,and downloaded via ubs cable from lap top.It's worth $25 extra to forget about ads.

Lefty

I've had option 3 for about 2 years now, the 6" Kindle 3G, international edition. When I bought it there was no WIFI Kindle, just the DX and what I've got. I love it out here!! I activated it in the US as well, and now I use the 3G here in Thailand (for some reason, it says it gets 3G), and I download the books and browse the bookstore all I want, at no charge. It's wonderful! I would have to agree with the above statements, that paying the extra for no ads would be a bonus, as it will only be a matter of time before they try putting them into the free e-books, or all of their classics. Avoid the hacks and the headaches, my advice would be to pay some extra money and go no adds, 3G so you can use it anywhere in the world, and you'll be happy! I think the apps for the iPhone are a prime example of this, first there was so many free apps with no ads and it was great, but after a year or two they released iAD, and now all free apps have ads in them, and it's absolutely annoying. Don't risk that one!

I never go anywhere without my Kindle, it makes the BTS and MRT tolerable. Having access to all of the free e-books, classics is well worth it.

The thing to remember is that on a Kindle the "screensaver" isn't really a screensaver but just something to display to show the user that it is in sleep mode. The eInk display does not use any power once the image has been generated so it is always there when your Kindle is lying around, and you really do see the screensaver all the time.

I can't imagine they would sabotage your Kindle just because you don't connect with Wifi from time to time. That would surely backfire and they're too clever to risk that.

Phil,

Firstly, apologies for jumping into a topic with a slightly-off-topic question!

I read on some forum site a few months ago that it was better to leave the Kindle in sleep mode when not in use, rather than switch off completely whenever it isn't required, as switching on takes up far more power than leaving it idle.

Could you please confirm/refute this for an eager amateur?

Thanks.

Elwood

I have the kindle with 3G I also was uncertain which to buy initially. I settled on the 3G cos I'm often travelling so can use the 3G to download any newly published books if I don't have access to WiFi while travelling. TBH I don't think I will use the 3G option that often but as there was little difference in the price I went for it anyhow. Since getting my kindle I have unlocked the O/S to remove the ugly ''screensavers'' ( dead authors are kinda boring ) and found a great soft cover for it. There are literally thousands of books available free online (old favorites, classics and new releases) so unless I see something new that I really want to read I think the kindle will pay for itself in only a few weeks.. When I'm away at work I get thru 1 - 2 novels a week and maybe a heavier weight non- fiction book every two weeks.. This adds up over the 4 -5 Months I work a year. Not to mention the weight..

There is heaps of info online just google 'kindle' or 'kindle hack'' or 'kindle screensavers'' and you will get heaps of info. There are several forums dedicated to the kindle which are great too.

You won't regret getting one.. I was dubious but completely sold on it now.. Easily the best gizmo I have bought in 10 years.

Phil,

I read on some forum site a few months ago that it was better to leave the Kindle in sleep mode when not in use, rather than switch off completely whenever it isn't required, as switching on takes up far more power than leaving it idle.

Thanks.

Elwood

I only know of one way of "turning off" the Kindle - the button on the bottom of it - which puts it in sleep mode just like leaving it for a while will do on it's own. I don't know of any way to really turn it off. It might be there but I haven't looked for it or needed it.

Phil,

Thanks.

Elwood

I only know of one way of "turning off" the Kindle - the button on the bottom of it - which puts it in sleep mode just like leaving it for a while will do on it's own. I don't know of any way to really turn it off. It might be there but I haven't looked for it or needed it.

I have the DX3 - the larger version of the Kindle - and the "wake up" button is a small "slider" on the top of the unit. Sliding this to the right and holding it there for a few seconds will switch it off completely.

Patrick

I have the DX3 - the larger version of the Kindle - and the "wake up" button is a small "slider" on the top of the unit. Sliding this to the right and holding it there for a few seconds will switch it off completely.

Patrick

It's the same on the Kindle 3. Never tried holding it for a while, probably works the same way, don't see why I'd want to turn it off "completely" though. I charge it about once a week or so the way I use it now, that's fine with me.

Patrick

It's the same on the Kindle 3. Never tried holding it for a while, probably works the same way, don't see why I'd want to turn it off "completely" though. I charge it about once a week or so the way I use it now, that's fine with me.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Elwood

I have the latest Kindle with WiFi. Had I had a choice, I would have selected NO WiFi or 3G. I have not even tried the WiFi and use my computer to do anything needed. Since the Kindle holds an ungodly amount of books, why would I ever need to use the kindle to download anything?