Hull Changes In All Non-Immigrant Visas April 2011

Went to Birmingham last week with my deeds,only 42 years young they gave me multi o no problem,and the bloke said many people come here now because Hull changed the rules,its Hull nothing to do with Thailand,just go to Birmingham easy same before.

hull probably changed the rules as every man and his dog were on forums saying what a soft touch it was. lets keep Birmingham quite unless you want it to go the same as Hull.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to Birmingham last week with my deeds,only 42 years young they gave me multi o no problem,and the bloke said many people come here now because Hull changed the rules,its Hull nothing to do with Thailand,just go to Birmingham easy same before.

The big difference is that it was possible to get a non O from Hull by post for anyone in Europe...

Birmingham accepts postal visa request only from UK and to UK.

The big difference is that it was possible to get a non O from Hull by post for anyone in Europe...

Are you sure? Hull website has always been saying that in order to get visa you have to be/apply from UK/Ireland..Practice was different though..

Has anyone checked Birmingham if they accept postal applications from another EU country ?

Are you sure? Hull website has always been saying that in order to get visa you have to be/apply from UK/Ireland..Practice was different though..

Has anyone checked Birmingham if they accept postal applications from another EU country ?

This topic came up last year when Hull was still handing out year long Non-O's like there was no tomorrow.

I sent an email to Hull saying I was from a "neighboring EU country" and wanted a Non-O from them.

They replied it was fine to do that, as long as I allowed more time in the post to/from.

Sadly, now that they've tightened up, I don't think it makes a bit of difference if they DID accept people from EU countries before or not.

I wonder if Birmingham will or not? No matter what their website says, I'll look up their link and send 'em the same email like I sent Hull saying I am from a 'neighboring EU country' and what documentation do I need to secure a year-long, multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type-O visa from them.

Not that I even need a visa, I'm just nosy is all. ... :P

EDIT: Uhh-Ohh, :o just went to the Royal Thai Consulate of Birmingham's website and didn't SEE an email addy :( . Anyone know it? :)

Edited by tod-daniels

Hmmmm - this is interesting. Anyone received a Non O from Birmingham on production of a property rental contract?

This is the same position I'm in, I have a lease in my name, nothing more. I would be interested to find out. My current visa doesn't expire until October this year and I'm planning on going back to the UK for a few weeks sometime in between July and September so that would be the ideal time for me to pick up another one.

Edited by ukrules

I don't know if it is the same now but a worried friend of mine was married in a Wat some years ago and was not issued with any documentation, he asked at the time and was told it was the norm. How is he supposed to send documentation that is not issued?

I don't know if it is the same now but a worried friend of mine was married in a Wat some years ago and was not issued with any documentation, he asked at the time and was told it was the norm. How is he supposed to send documentation that is not issued?

While a little off topic, I'll take a stab at it anyway;

Do you know if he did this here in Thailand?

Unfortunately you can't "get married" in a Thai temple here (monks can't marry people) so he might not actually BE married. Now depending on his current situation that could be good or bad, lol.

You also can't "get married" at your Thai wife's family's house during the big shin-dig which foreigners sometimes confuse with a real marriage, (even IF there are monks there too!) That's JUST the wedding PARTY. :whistling:

You get "legally married" (in Thailand anyway) by going to the local Amphur with your Thai wife and registering the marriage. I think in Bangkok it costs 20baht at Bang-Rak (where a LOT of people get married as that Amphur is the district of love :) ).

The foreigner would need a "freedom to marry" document from his Embassy, have it translated into Thai and stamped by the MFA that it's a valid translation too.

If he's living in Thialand and has been here some years, what visa has he been staying here on?

Edited by tod-daniels

You can get married anywhere you want. But it must be registered with the amphur. Amphur officers will visit home party to sign the paperwork at standard extra costs for such service if you want. It does not have to be signed in the office.

While a little off topic, I'll take a stab at it anyway;

Do you know if he did this here in Thailand?

Unfortunately you can't "get married" in a Thai temple here (monks can't marry people) so he might not actually BE married. Now depending on his current situation that could be good or bad, lol.

You also can't "get married" at your Thai wife's family's house during the big shin-dig which foreigners sometimes confuse with a real marriage, (even IF there are monks there too!) That's JUST the wedding PARTY. :whistling:

You get "legally married" (in Thailand anyway) by going to the local Amphur with your Thai wife and registering the marriage. I think in Bangkok it costs 20baht at Bang-Rak (where a LOT of people get married as that Amphur is the “district of love” :) ).

The foreigner would need a "freedom to marry" document from his Embassy, have it translated into Thai and stamped by the MFA that it's a valid translation too.

If he's living in Thialand and has been here some years, what visa has he been staying here on?

Yep, married here

Never had any problems of any sort in dealings in Thailand with regard to being married.

Non 'o' (I think I have that right) via various consulates and embassies in the region.

Sorry for the brevity of this post but the power is unstable.

You can get married anywhere you want. But it must be registered with the amphur. Amphur officers will visit home party to sign the paperwork at standard extra costs for such service if you want. It does not have to be signed in the office.

It would appear that in the past doing so was not required. This information comes from a Swiss friend who has lived here for 27 years

And what does your Swiss friend say about your friend who was married at a temple and has no document to show that he is married, now that he needs to show such document, presumably for the application for a non-O visa?

And what does your Swiss friend say about your friend who was married at a temple and has no document to show that he is married, now that he needs to show such document, presumably for the application for a non-O visa?

I had a quick chat this afternoon and he is well aware of the situation. It would appear that if your name is on record (Not first application for as you correctly presumed a non-O) then there is no problem. 2 people have returned with a non-O using the 'old' method after requesting a visa past the rule change. He did however stress that these people already have a record.

Just got a skype call from a friend who applied for a 1 year non-O for the first time using a photocopy ID, spouse for reason for visit and it was given. What they state on their website (Hull) and what they do seem to be not quite the same thing.

I believe the Thai consulate in Hull never stated on its website that they would not grant a multiple-entry non-O visa to a person who applies for the purpose of visiting his Thai spouse.

I believe the Thai consulate in Hull never stated on its website that they would not grant a multiple-entry non-O visa to a person who applies for the purpose of visiting his Thai spouse.

That's right, they said it's only people who were previously relying on the 'visiting friends' statement or submitting a copy of an apartment lease in their own name who won't get the visa now.

I believe you are quite correct. They did however require evidence and providing a photocopy of an ID card is hardly that.

Now it gets complicated. A friend's (Thai) sister's boyfriend gained a non-O from Hull late Fed or perhaps early March and there was a post it noted attached stating that he would not be able to use this method again. This was the first time he asked for a non-O though he has been here many many times using other visas for periods of two months. Now, as I mentioned earlier, a friend has used the same method but has been doing so for a number of years and had no problem or post it note attached. This suggests to me that if your name is on the system you are fine. However, it could also be that Hull have reverted to their previous criteria. The only way to be sure is for someone using said criteria for the first time as of late and it resulting in success.

Has anyone been granted a NON-O multiple entry visa from the Thai consulate in Birmingham on the prevision of 'visiting friends' in the last 30 days?

Someone I know got one from Hull stating spouse and included a copy of an ID card from their GF around a week ago but he has been doing it for a number of years. Seems that if your name is on the list from previous applications then you are OK.

Tough luck for me than as my wife is English!

I work for an English company but luckily not in an office and I choose (well probably now chose) to live and spend my earnings in Thailand as does my wife. It now looks like we'll be getting a tourist visa when we return at the end of May and be packing our stuff and moving to another exotic location. It's a real shame as we've been here five years now (doing the Non-O visas) and we'll be leaving many great friends Thai and Farlangs behind unless one of the other consulates are now offering the 'special service'!

Tough luck for me than as my wife is English!

I work for an English company but luckily not in an office and I choose (well probably now chose) to live and spend my earnings in Thailand as does my wife. It now looks like we'll be getting a tourist visa when we return at the end of May and be packing our stuff and moving to another exotic location. It's a real shame as we've been here five years now (doing the Non-O visas) and we'll be leaving many great friends Thai and Farlangs behind unless one of the other consulates are now offering the 'special service'!

As LiteBeer said (page 2) there are other options such as the 60 day triple entry visa which will get you somewhere close to 180 days with extensions. Then go to another country for a couple of days and get another triple entry. Although there does not seem to be a limit on the number of times you can do this a Russian friend of mine who uses a forum much like this though smaller informed me that the most back to back visas of this type anyone there has had is three. I was also informed by my Russian friend that if you stay out of the Kingdom for a month (30 days?) then you can reapply and it will be accepted. I have no information regarding if this means that you can do another three back to back triple entry or just one more

he's after getting a non o visa not a tourist, i think every man and dogs knows they can get aa tourist visa. regards to triple entry tourist you cant get them in laos or penang as far as my brother recalls up to last year. only double entry tourist visas and a max of two in a row before they red stamp your passport with words similar to do not apply here again!

coconut truck then? as this thread is about all non immigrant visas which my brother was asking about and funnily enough not about tourist visas!

can anyone actually answer the question DaengJonesie asked about non-o visas from any UK consulate on a 'visiting friends' like what Hull used to offer? jap.gif

he's after getting a non o visa not a tourist, i think every man and dogs knows they can get aa tourist visa. regards to triple entry tourist you cant get them in laos or penang as far as my brother recalls up to last year. only double entry tourist visas and a max of two in a row before they red stamp your passport with words similar to do not apply here again!

Thank you. I shall pass this information to a good friend who got a triple entry visa some 2 or 2 1/2 weeks ago from Panang for the third time.

coconut truck then? as this thread is about all non immigrant visas which my brother was asking about and funnily enough not about tourist visas!

can anyone actually answer the question DaengJonesie asked about non-o visas from any UK consulate on a 'visiting friends' like what Hull used to offer? jap.gif

Hull seem to be offering Non-O if your name is already on the list. New requests seem to be dismissed out of hand. Birmingham seems to have taken over Hull's mantle for the moment. I spoke to a monk yesterday afternoon and it would seem that they are not too happy with the changes which have taken place becasue it devalues getting married in a Wat as people have to provide documentation which a Wat does not provide.

Thank you. I shall pass this information to a good friend who got a triple entry visa some 2 or 2 1/2 weeks ago from Panang for the third time.

Yes..........of course you will.

Not quite sure what to make of this post but go you happy hammers.