Best Kind Of Visa For A Brit?

Hi everyone - I am new on this forum and am looking for a little help.

My Dad; Brit aged 57 has been living in Thailand for 7 years now, he has married a Thai woman too, they live in Isaan.

He is not connected to the net or anything like that and doesn't really have that much contact with Western people as he lives in the village that his wife is from.

He has no idea what the latest on the visa regulations are! Every month he is going to Laos (I think) and doing a visa run there.

That doesn't seem like the most practical thing for him to be doing and I want to find out what the best (economical) visa he can apply for and be granted.

Like I said he is married - however his financial situation isn't very good and has no money in the bank ( I know how much money you have in the bank can make a difference)

Any help would be appreciated, really appreciated. Even if it means a trip to Bangkok to the British embassy, as I will be going over there in August so can help him with it.

Thanks once again!

Unless he has evidence of 40,000 Baht a month income, in order to get a visa based on marriage to a Thai national, he is left with mainly 2 not so long term options

One is Tourist Visas and the other is the ED visa route

search will bring up more details on either/both

In fact, have a look at the pinned topics in this section of the forum ;)

HTH

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

frankyj, your father qualifies for one-year extensions of stay for the reason of living with his Thai wife. Regarding financial requirements, he needs evidence of an average monthly income of minimum 40,000 Baht OR 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank account in his name alone. Application for this must be made at his local immigration office.

The current regulations for extensions of stay are here:

Thai Police Order 777/2551 – basis for extension of stay

Immigration Bureau Order 305/2551 – documents for extension of stay

From OP it appears he can not qualify on financial grounds for extension of stay so (this assumes a legal registered marriage):

1. Non immigrant visa allowing 90 day stay from Consulate (cost 2k baht).

2. Above plus 60 day extension of stay to visit wife for another 2k baht = 150 days.

3. Tourist visa 60 days for 1k baht followed by 60 day to visit wife extension for 2k baht.

4. Border crossing for new 15 day visa exempt (which seems to be what doing now) which is free except visa for other country and trip expense.

5. With proof of 100k baht in a bank account a multi entry non immigrant O visa could be obtained from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia which would allow up to 15 months of 90 day stays with only a border crossing required for each new entry.

ED visa is OK but by the time you pay for the course, getting the visa itselfe and then 90 day extensions it can work out at almost 40k for a year, so 3,500 of your budget every month is gone befor a bowl of rice is paid for.

If he has 100k in a Thai bank, as stated KL or Penang, get a 1 year multi Non 'O'..initial cost 5,500, plus travel costs to Malaysia....can do a border run each 90 days, leaving just befor it expires gets you a further 3 months and then you can also get another 60 day extension after that (1,900).....so a total of 17 months

Thanks guys for the responses! Really is much appreciated!

Sadly he does not qualify for the one year extension due to financial constraints, there is also no pension coming in.

The marriage is a legal one.

Lopburi3 and ESB7 - I will take your advice and go down that route.

Thanks once again guys!