Where To Live In Or Around Chiang Mai?

funlovinkid

I'm exploring Chiang Mai right now to see if I might want to live here (currently living in Bangkok, and ready for something a bit less chaotic), and I'm wondering if anyone can make any recommendations as to good areas to live. I'm interested in something around 2 rais of land, either with or without a house on it, with existing utilities, and services (like a modern supermarket) not too far off. I've seen a bit of the San Sai area already, but not much else. Curious if there are any expats out there who know of a peaceful area around CM that's relatively convenient to the usual services a Westerner would want.

I like the areas that are west of town due to close proximity to the foothills. Of the various western areas I like the northern one the best, vicinity Mae Rim. There had not been much in the way of a supermarket there previously, but there is a Makro under construction in Mae Rim now and I expect it will be completed in 6 months or less.

Try the 1317 out towards San Kamphaeng. Lots of developments. A vast new Central complex is under construction at the Don Chan interchange. From where I live, 4 km east of SK, 20 min to the airport. Surrounded by hills!

Saturday walking street in SK great fun