Several Bombs Explodes In Bali Tourist Areas

Aussietraveller

My fear is when this kind of action comes to Thailand ??

This kind of (muslim?) terrorist shit. It is not only killing tourism but also a country's reputation and income. I hope these <deleted> will pass Thailand with these kind f actions.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of (muslim?) terrorist shit. It is not only killing tourism but also a country's reputation and income.  I hope these <deleted> will pass Thailand with these kind f actions.

spot on

the bombings in bali also effect a country that has dwindling tourism, so they are also hurting their fellow muslims so we can now expect the moderates in this country to start informing the authorities where the terrorists are.

will this happen ?

Its tragic this arab influence is polluting SE Asia.

The arabs have been murdering each other in the name of religion for three thousand years.

They will never stop.

Plenty of countries,companies have made superprofits out of war,not just the Americans.

It seems security may have lapsed in these Bali tourist areas,Police all too busy checking models handbags for pills.

This kind of (muslim?) terrorist shit. It is not only killing tourism but also a country's reputation and income.  I hope these <deleted> will pass Thailand with these kind f actions.

spot on

the bombings in bali also effect a country that has dwindling tourism, so they are also hurting their fellow muslims so we can now expect the moderates in this country to start informing the authorities where the terrorists are.

will this happen ?

AFP report 3.30 am

JIMBARAN, Indonesia (AFP) - Bombs exploded in three packed tourist restaurants on the Indonesian island of Bali killing at least 32 people and injuring over 100, just days before the third anniversary of the nightclub attacks there.

I have just read the posts attacking the gentleman who works in Iraq and would like to add my pennyworth.

Assuming the latest terrorist outrage in Bali is the work of Muslim extremists...

I do not agree with all US or UK foreign policy, and have some severe misgivings about the real reason for the war in Iraq. However, to mention it in such terms can unwittingly begin to legitimise the actions of cowardly terrorists.

Whether you look at what happened in Iraq, Afghanistan or the situation in Palestine or the Balkans, there will always be some cause celebre that the terrorists want you to consider and regret. The 9/11 attack (and the previous WTC bombing) were planned way before Bush and his Iraqi venture.

There can never be any excuse to take innocent human life. The only way to defeat this evil is for all right thinking people (whatever their nationality or religion) to stand together.

My heart goes out to those poor souls in Bali tonight.

M

The Thai muslim militants still have not bombed the capital. The clear reason is they still do not have strong affliates in Bangkok that can make bombs. To make a bomb and carry all the way to the capital from Yala or Naratiwat is a very high risk. But if one day they get strong affiliates or get some sympathisers who have knowlege and the materials to make bombs right in Bangkok, I am sure they will not hesitate to blow up the capital. I can feel the trend is slowly turning into this way if Thai authority still try to play the nationalism stretegy.

The most clever solution is for Thai authority to be much more flexible and stop the nationalistic conspiracy, and start very sincere dialogue with the people they hate the most, with the so called traitors, separatists, terrorists ect named by the Thai authority.

Also should recognize Islam as natioanl religion the same as Buddhism. Should give the rights to observe Islamic calendar and also name the most important Islamic holiday as national holidays. If Thai aknowledge this country is a bi-culture society than should make recgnition to both religions and cultures. If Thai authority has the wits to do this to recginize Islam and its cultures as part of Thai society, and also give lots of autonomy to this territories, I think eventually the problems will be solved.

But unfortunately, I do not see Thai authority has any of these wits.

CNN Update:

Bali terrorist blasts kill at least 36

Bloody attacks recall 2002 bombings linked to al Qaeda

BALI (CNN): -- Blasts rocked two crowded Bali resort spots on Saturday, killing at least 36 people, hospital officials said, in the second deadly terrorist attack on the Indonesian island in three years.

Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono condemned Saturday's bombings as an act of terrorism. There were no immediate reports of anyone claiming responsibility.

Hospital officials said 103 people were wounded. A journalist said a hospital emergency room resembled a war zone. (Watch chaotic aftermath of Bali blasts -- 1:30)

"The ground is just covered in blood, people walking around with arms missing," said journalist Sean Mulcahy, who was next door to a restaurant hit during the attacks.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Marty Natalegawa said reports indicate the blasts appeared to have occurred only minutes apart.

Almost exactly three years ago, on October 12, 2002, terrorist bombings targeting nightclubs in Bali killed 202 people.

"People were just starting to build up confidence again, and to have this happen was devastating for the locals. But I think it's the nail in the coffin for people coming to this place," Mulcahy said.

Video of the scene in the Bali resort spot of Kuta showed glass windows of several upscale stores shattered, glass littering the street, and the awning of Raja's noodle house blown askew.

Maria Bakkalapulo, a journalist who arrived at Kuta about an hour after the blasts, said it appeared a bomb detonated inside Raja's, which "was pretty much gutted."

According to unconfirmed reports, a second bomb detonated on the restaurant's second floor, Bakkalapulo said.

Kuta is the location of the 2002 bombings, which was blamed on Jemaah Islamiyah -- a terrorist group with ties to al Qaeda.

The White House issued a statement Saturday condemning the attack and offering sympathy to victims, "their families and the people of Bali who have suffered meaningless violence before. "We also express our solidarity with the government of Indonesia and convey our readiness to assist in any way."

Kuta and Jimbaran -- the other resort spot targeted -- were "chock-a-block" with tourists celebrating a holiday weekend, Mulcahy said.

In the Jimbaran attack, two explosions tore through a long row of outdoor tables at a beachfront cafe where tourists often gather to watch the sun set, Mulcahy said. The blast sites were about 40 meters apart, he said.

Mulcahy -- who felt the blast while inside a restaurant next to Raja's -- had plans to dine with friends at Jimbaran, but the streets were backed up with heavy traffic so they headed to Kuta, instead.

"Had we gone to Jimbaran, we would more than likely be dead," Mulcahy said.

The attack left tourists filled with "fear and terror," and they are fleeing their hotels in Bali with suitcases in hand, Mulcahy said.

"I imagine they'll put on extra flights to cope with the amount of people that are leaving," he said.

Local media reports said several foreigners are among those wounded. Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer told Australia's ABC radio that one Australian was among those killed.

Warnings of terrorism

Recently, Yudhoyono had issued a warning that terrorist cells inside the country were still active despite hundreds of arrests.

Several other governments, including the United States, had warned about a high terrorist threat to foreigners in Indonesia ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins next week.

A report issued in early September warned that Osama bin Laden and his top lieutenant, Ayman al-Zawahiri, may be planning a series of attacks in October, dubbed "The Great Ramadan Offensive."

On Friday the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta reiterated its warning of last May that the threat of terrorism is high and Americans there should be vigilant.

"Attacks could occur at any time and could be directed against any location, including those frequented by foreigners and identifiably American or other western facilities or businesses in Indonesia," the message said.

The island of Bali -- a popular spot for international tourists -- is a Hindu enclave in Indonesia, which has the highest Muslim population of any nation in the world.

CNN's Elaine Quijano and journalists John Aglionby and Maria Ressa contributed to this report.

--CNN 2005-10-02

The bombers will be caught - Indonesians did a good job last time. My only fear is they will slap them on the hands as previous.

I think its time we start taking these lot out, unfortunately the west doesnt have the stomach to do it. :o

As for BKK - if the nutters bomb there - look for a mass slaughter in the south. From past experience Thaskin won't hesitate to do it and I think the nutters know that.

Lot to be said for Detente .

The bombers will be caught - Indonesians did a good job last time. My only fear is they will slap them on the hands as previous.

I think its time we start taking these lot out, unfortunately the west doesnt have the stomach to do it. :o

As for BKK - if the nutters bomb there - look for a mass slaughter in the south. From past experience Thaskin won't hesitate to do it and I think the nutters know that.

I was in Jimbaran a fortnight ago, this place is just beach hut restaurants - much like Koh Samet - I find it amazing it could be attacked, desparation I guess...

Heart goes out to all familys involved...

Be sure this was not the work of Balinese and that there will be BIG problems in Indonesia now...

Such a shame.....

I was in Jimbaran a fortnight ago, this place is just beach hut restaurants - much like Koh Samet - I find it amazing it could be attacked, desparation I guess...

Heart goes out to all familys involved...

Be sure this was not the work of Balinese and that there will be BIG problems in Indonesia now...

Such a shame.....

Death nail for tourism there - can't boast it was a one off. Place is being bombed on a regular basis. Shame these animals will get what they want. :o

Please change the word terrorists to COWARDS. :D

bombingbali.jpg

By Tim Palmer in Bali and agencies

At least 24 people, including one Australian, have been killed in explosions in the popular Indonesian resort island of Bali.

Two bombs exploded among diners on the beach at Jimbaran Bay at about 8:00pm (local time) and a near simultaneous explosion tore apart a three storey building housing the Raja restaurant in nearby Kuta.

The three explosions wounded at least 120 people, including three Australians.

A French diplomat who visited two hospitals in Bali said at least 32 people had been confirmed dead and 101 had been injured in the blasts, AFP has reported.

So far 12 bodies had been identified, including 10 Indonesians, one Australian and a Japanese national.

Fifteen injured Australians are being treated in the Burns Unit at Sanglah Hospital.

The blasts come almost exactly three years since two nightclubs were bombed in Bali's famous Kuta Beach in October 2002, killing 202 people, including 88 Australians.

Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has condemned the Bali blasts as a terrorist act.

Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer says he is finding it hard to get detailed information about the dead and injured but that it is safe to assume the Bali blasts were the work of terrorists.

"We think it's almost certainly a terrorist attack, I doubt that there's any other explanation for it, you could assume it's an attack by an organisation like Jemiaah Islamiah speaking from experience, but of course at this stage no one's claimed responsibility for the attack and we have no evidence."

People concerned about friends or relatives in Bali have been advised to contact the Department of Foreign Affairs hotline on 1800 0022 14.

"They [relatives] can leave the details with the Department and the Department will do its best to follow up those details as quickly as it can but when I say as quickly as it can, it may take a long time, it could be well into tomorrow before it gets those details," Mr Downer said.

Eyewitness accounts

Jason Childs is an Australian photographer who has been living in Bali for 12 years.

He was having dinner with friends and family not far from the blasts near the upmarket Four Seasons Hotel in Jimbaran Bay.

"We helped a few victims on the sand there on the beach and there were a few people lying on the fish cafes on the tables, which are out on the beach, dead," he said.

"I didn't want to walk in there too far, too scared another bomb would go off and everyone started screaming there's another bomb and everyone started running and I just ran home and have just come back here again now."

Mr Childs says he and his friends and family went to do what they could after the blasts in Jimbaran Bay before police arrived.

"There's ambulances, they've got tanks here, they've got dogs, I think what must have made it awfully hard for them was that as the bomb went off at Kuta ... if they went off at the same time, just splitting the emergency people and the soldiers and the police and everyone."

Daniel Martin, a tourist in Bali, says there was chaos after the blast in at the Raja restaurant near Kuta Square.

"There was thick smoke for a few minutes afterwards but there didn't seem to be any fire," he said.

"People were clambering onto the roof of the restaurant. It's about a three storey building so people were climbing out and screaming and jumping down to the street.

"It was pretty harrowing stuff."

Phonelines between Bali and other parts of the country were overloaded, as people struggled to contact friends and relatives in the area.

Peter Holden of Gosford on the central coast of New South Wales says he received an SMS message from his daughter Donna, who lives in Bali, telling him about the explosions.

Mr Holden says his daughter has reported several fatalities.

"There have been at least two bombs gone off in Jimbaran in restaurants and those kind of restaurants are restaurants populated by tourists in the main," Mr Holden said.

"And then a more recent report just a moment ago that there's also reports of another bomb in Kuta Square. That's a pretty busy tourist area," he said.

President condemns blasts

Dr Yudhoyono said it was too soon to blame anyone for the attacks, which security experts said bore the hallmarks of Jemaah Islamiah, a network seen as the regional arm of Al Qaeda.

"This is clearly a terrorist act ... We will catch the perpetrators and punish them," Dr Yudhoyono told an impromptu news conference in Jakarta, adding he would go to Bali on Sunday.

He noted that in July he had received information of an impending attack, with explosives ready to be detonated, but said that information showed the target would be Jakarta.

An Indonesian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Marty Natalegawa, says the Indonesian Government has remained on a high state of alert for any such attacks.

"Enhancement of security is done but their people they just need to be lucky once and they can force the kind of havoc that is potentially before us just now," he said.

"Again if anything, this latest episode illustrated that the threat of terror is very much with us not only in Indonesia but elsewhere in the world and we must not succumb."

The attacks pile on the problems for the former general, who marks his first year in office on October 20.

Dr Yudhoyono is also battling an outbreak of deadly bird flu and protests over sharp hikes in domestic fuel prices.

Bali, 960 kilometres east of Jakarta, is Indonesia's most popular destination for foreign tourists.

While the number of foreign tourists dropped sharply after the attacks three years ago, the island's key industry has since recovered.

The predominantly Hindu island is home to 3 million people and is famous for its beautiful beaches, rich culture and picture postcard landscapes of rice fields and volcanoes.

-ABC/AFP/Reuters

And all in the name of Allah The "Merciful" :o

Heh Moog right on point.... I would make a snyde remark about them but I am paid WAY to much to risk upseting the good folks here in the land of contracts :o

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to bust your a** here.

Just what do you mean you're not going to 'accept that crap' in Thailand? You work for one of the worst corporations on the planet (cuz the money's good, oh, I guess that makes it ok). You're part of the problem in Iraq. You're part of the reason Muslim extremists hate so much. You are a parasite. Thailand ihas many Muslims, do you care about them? Or do you just like going there to spend your little share of the money American taxpayers are donating to the Halliburton cause?

Your way out of line girl. You can't blame employees for the misguided deeds of their employers and just as you can't blame the soldier for the politics that send them out to an unpopular war. I have many a good friend working for contractors in Iraq, some working for companies far more misguided (Blackwater) although not more corrupt than Halliburton. I don't blame them considering the money they are being offered. I argue against their taking the contract for political reasons, but I understand their motivation, which is certainly not political, and I understand that even I might be bought by the chance of some economic security for once in my life.

I also don't condemn the Thais who take on work that I might find personally offensive but I understand the economics and their choices. So hold your venom for the politicians and corrupt US Army generals and for your local corrupt jerk politicans down in Florida.

And Money Shot cum-man should be thankful he will not be in the last group of contractors left in Afghanistan for whom a quick beheading will indeed be a show of mercy by Allah.

More..... :o

Last Update: Sunday, October 2, 2005. 8:07am (AEST)

Terrorist act: Indonesian President Yudhoyono has vowed to catch the perpetrators. (Reuters)

Indonesia investigates Bali bombings

Indonesian authorities have begun investigating three bomb blasts that ripped through crowded restaurants on the Indonesian resort island of Bali, which killed 25 people including at least one Australian.

The nearly simultaneous blasts came almost exactly three years after militants linked to Al Qaeda bombed two nightclubs in Bali, killing 202 people.

Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono branded the blasts as acts of terrorism and vowed to catch those responsible.

A spokesman for the Indonesian Foreign Ministry, Marty Natalagawa, said the investigation to find those responsible for the attacks was already under way.

"The focus now, apart from the obvious one of saving lives and treating the injured, is on the gathering of the evidence, the material evidence on the ground at the two bombing sites so the police can quickly ascertain who perpetrated these heinous and cowardly acts," he said.

Dr Yudhoyono said it was too soon to blame anyone for the attacks, which security experts said bore the hallmarks of Jemaah Islamiah, a network seen as the regional arm of Al Qaeda.

"This is clearly a terrorist act ... We will catch the perpetrators and punish them," Dr Yudhoyono told an impromptu news conference in Jakarta, adding he would go to Bali on Sunday.

He noted that in July he had received information of an impending attack, with explosives ready to be detonated, but said that information showed the target would be Jakarta.

Australia, the United States, Britain, and UN secretary-general Kofi Annan have also condemned the attacks.

Officials at Bali's Sanglah hospital said 25 dead had been brought in.

Reuters reports that 15 bodies have been identified, comprising 12 Indonesians, including one six-year-old boy, two Australians and a Japanese national.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) has only confirmed one Australian death.

The wounded included 16 Australians, six South Koreans, three Americans, three Japanese and one Briton.

People concerned about friends or relatives in Bali have been advised to contact the Department of Foreign Affairs hotline on 1800 0022 14.

'Terrorist attack'

Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer says he is finding it hard to get detailed information about the dead and injured but that it is safe to assume the Bali blasts were the work of terrorists.

"We think it's almost certainly a terrorist attack, I doubt that there's any other explanation for it, you could assume it's an attack by an organisation like Jemaah Islamiah speaking from experience, but of course at this stage no one's claimed responsibility for the attack and we have no evidence."

A French diplomat who visited two hospitals in Bali said at least 32 people had been confirmed dead and 101 had been injured in the blasts, AFP has reported.

Police confirmed three blasts at separate restaurants packed with evening diners, two at outdoor seafood eateries on Jimbaran Beach and one at a steak bar at Kuta Beach in an area surrounded by shops and jammed with pedestrians.

They have not said how the bombs were delivered or if suicide attackers were responsible.

Tourism nightmare

Australian journalist Sean Mulcahy was in Kuta when one of the bombs went off.

"I've travelled through war zones for my job as a journalist and this is something that you would expect in Afghanistan or Iraq, the emergency rooms at some of the hospitals, the ground is just covered in blood, there's people walking, arms missing, it is just a war zone," he said.

Ketut Suartana, 33, said he was eating at Jimbaran when the first bomb exploded. The second came just minutes later.

"We were eating and suddenly it just went dark. I tried to run but I kept falling over. Then the second blast happened," said Suartana, 33, lying on a hospital bed with scratch marks over his face and chest.

"People were in panic. I just tried to save myself."

Inside the badly damaged Raja restaurant and bar in Kuta Beach, a popular eatery, blood was spattered on the floor. Shattered glass from other shops and cafes littered the street.

Wounded Indonesians sat on the pavement, some weeping, while foreigners fled the scene in panic.

Bystanders gave first aid to many of the wounded.

The sight of bloodied foreigners, which is likely to trigger an exodus of travellers on Sunday, is another nightmare for Bali's tourism industry, the island's lifeblood, which had only recently recovered from the devastating blasts of 2002.

Australian tourist Leigh Birchall says he and his friends are shocked and that the streets of Bali are deserted.

"Everyone is back at their rooms as you can see there is no one around and its really shaken up the whole town and what it's going to do to all these people, they don't have much money already and tourism is their main income so they are no going to have any money," he said.

-ABC/AFP/Reuters

All I can say is Hmmmmmmm, knowing that the SE Asia sector is really primed for a lot more of this same scenario.

This region is a wide open football field. No wonder Al Quada is so interested knowing how easy it is for them compared to Europe or USA.

Daveyo

I for one am not concerned about them hiting Bangkok but PHUKET. Its a short 5 hour drive with no security at all excpet a little at the Sarasin bridge.

What with the goverments terribale job after the Tsunami and the very poor efforts at helping those that need it the guys down south are sure to hit here to gain international awareness.

Its only a matter of time before you see the same reports but replace Bali with Soi Bangla, Patong.

The Thai muslim militants still have not bombed the capital. The clear reason is they still do not have strong affliates in Bangkok that can make bombs. To make a bomb and carry all the way to the capital from Yala or Naratiwat is a very high risk. But if one day they get strong affiliates or get some sympathisers who have knowlege and the materials to make bombs right in Bangkok, I am sure they will not hesitate to blow up the capital. I can feel the trend is slowly turning into this way if Thai authority still try to play the nationalism stretegy.

The most clever solution is for Thai authority to be much more flexible and stop the nationalistic conspiracy, and start very sincere dialogue with the people they hate the most, with the so called traitors, separatists, terrorists ect named by the Thai authority.

Also should recognize Islam as natioanl religion the same as Buddhism. Should give the rights to observe Islamic calendar and also name the most important Islamic holiday as national holidays. If Thai aknowledge this country is a bi-culture society than should make recgnition to both religions and cultures. If Thai authority has the wits to do this to recginize Islam and its cultures as part of Thai society, and also give lots of autonomy to this territories, I think eventually the problems will be solved.

But unfortunately, I do not see Thai authority has any of these wits.

As I was reading this forum I heard a HUGE explosion, probably a VBED (military acronym for Vehicle Born Explosive Device..car bomb) or possibly out going Artillery.... they get a lil hard to discern at times. I work in Iraq for the largest govt contractor. I see these kinds of bombings all the time. Soldiers go out and don't come back in; it's a fact of life out here. I accepted that when I signed my contract. However I won't accept that crap when I go to my beloved Thailand. I pray that this doesn’t reach Thailand. If America as a nation is my Mother, than Thailand is my wife. It would break my heart to tears if this happened in Pattaya. I hope that the Indonesians themselves weed out these misguided foolish bastards that prey upon the weak and optionless to do these hideous acts.

And they called the war between the US and USSR the cold war... I don't think it could get much colder than this vile brand of evil.

Yes and al this problems and killings, Thanks to Warlord BUSH and his compagnes

Excuses for spelling mistakes

And the religious do-gooders around the world preach that God is good and the Devil is evil. I must admit I'm a little mixed up. I have never hears of bombings killing innocent men, women and children in the name of the Devil.

I wonder why thailand hasnt been hit yet at a tourist location ...

Because the media isn't promoting bombing Thailand's tourism hot spots yet. Give 'em time. The media is the best tool the terrorists could possibly have. What would you want if you were a terrorist? I'd want my attrocities to make headlines all over the world.

The media was behind the SARS farce, making people scared to travel to SE Asia. They are trying to promote bird flu hysteria right now, making speculative guesses that millions will die.

The media has already informed the terrorists in Thailand that if they really wanted to affect the country's tourism they should hit Phuket, Krabi or Bangkok... give 'em time.

Such a shame.....

Death nail for tourism there - can't boast it was a one off. Place is being bombed on a regular basis. Shame these animals will get what they want. :o

Why call them 'animals'? :D

Animals don't act like this, people do. Humans are a failing species, bent on destroying the world, the environment and each other.

Which animals do this??