Several Bombs Explodes In Bali Tourist Areas

Aussietraveller

I for one am not concerned about them hiting Bangkok but PHUKET. Its a short 5 hour drive with no security at all excpet a little at the Sarasin bridge.

What with the goverments terribale job after the Tsunami and the very poor efforts at helping those that need it the guys down south are sure to hit here to gain international awareness.

Its only a matter of time before you see the same reports but replace Bali with Soi Bangla, Patong.

I live in Phuket. I am also going to Bali on Monday. I am not changing my travel plans. I lived my whole life in England under the spectre of the IRA. I was in Manchester when they cowardly bombed that. I lived in Germany when they detonated bombs there. (Yes they did). I was in Karon Beach when the Tsunami hit. My girlfriend was in Madrid, Spain when the Basques bombed that. There are bombs going off all over the place, all the time. Look how many people die in Kashmir for example. A lot of the outcry comes from Americans and Austrailains who arent used to having bombs on their own turf. (Except 7/11 and Oklahoma i guess)

As a previous poster said, you have to thing about the locals and their economy. After the tsunami, hoardes of tourists left Phuket and the economy died. The media were mostly responsible for this. Of course there was damage, but soi bangla was up and running after a couple of days.

I am not changing my lifestyle or travel plans for a couple of mad muslims. A bomb could happen anywhere. F@@k them!

Edited by markg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure thats what some of the victims of this latest tragedy said too.

Its the individuals choice,to ignore travel warnings.

I for one am not concerned about them hiting Bangkok but PHUKET. Its a short 5 hour drive with no security at all excpet a little at the Sarasin bridge.

What with the goverments terribale job after the Tsunami and the very poor efforts at helping those that need it the guys down south are sure to hit here to gain international awareness.

Its only a matter of time before you see the same reports but replace Bali with Soi Bangla, Patong.

I live in Phuket. I am also going to Bali on Monday. I am not changing my travel plans. I lived my whole life in England under the spectre of the IRA. I was in Manchester when they cowardly bombed that. I lived in Germany when they detonated bombs there. (Yes they did). I was in Karon Beach when the Tsunami hit. My girlfriend was in Madrid, Spain when the Basques bombed that. There are bombs going off all over the place, all the time. Look how many people die in Kashmir for example. A lot of the outcry comes from Americans and Austrailains who arent used to having bombs on their own turf. (Except 7/11 and Oklahoma i guess)

As a previous poster said, you have to thing about the locals and their economy. After the tsunami, hoardes of tourists left Phuket and the economy died. The media were mostly responsible for this. Of course there was damage, but soi bangla was up and running after a couple of days.

I am not changing my lifestyle or travel plans for a couple of mad muslims. A bomb could happen anywhere. F@@k them!

Heh Moog right on point.... I would make a snyde remark about them but I am paid WAY to much to risk upseting the good folks here in the land of contracts :D

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to bust your a** here.

Just what do you mean you're not going to 'accept that crap' in Thailand? You work for one of the worst corporations on the planet (cuz the money's good, oh, I guess that makes it ok). You're part of the problem in Iraq. You're part of the reason Muslim extremists hate so much. You are a parasite. Thailand ihas many Muslims, do you care about them? Or do you just like going there to spend your little share of the money American taxpayers are donating to the Halliburton cause?

I take exception to your comments about the situation in Iraq and American Taxpayers. NO Matter if we wanted to be there or not We are there because we are ordered to be. I was not there for fun or money, my friend did not die there for money. We served there becuase We believe in the principals that America was founded on. My friends family lost a father and a husband. you want to talk about how bad we are and how the muslims hate us. You Seem to forget about the People who lose loved ones there. How do you think We feel serving there when we know that many of our own country men Hate us for what we are doing? We Serve because We are ordered NOT FOR MONEY. :o

Be sure this was not the work of Balinese and that there will be BIG problems in Indonesia now...

Such a shame.....

Death nail for tourism there - can't boast it was a one off. Place is being bombed on a regular basis. Shame these animals will get what they want. :o

Why call them 'animals'? :D

Animals don't act like this, people do. Humans are a failing species, bent on destroying the world, the environment and each other.

Which animals do this??

You are rightbbut you could call them VERMIN

The Thai muslim militants still have not bombed the capital. The clear reason is they still do not have strong affliates in Bangkok that can make bombs. To make a bomb and carry all the way to the capital from Yala or Naratiwat is a very high risk. But if one day they get strong affiliates or get some sympathisers who have knowlege and the materials to make bombs right in Bangkok, I am sure they will not hesitate to blow up the capital. I can feel the trend is slowly turning into this way if Thai authority still try to play the nationalism stretegy.

The most clever solution is for Thai authority to be much more flexible and stop the nationalistic conspiracy, and start very sincere dialogue with the people they hate the most, with the so called traitors, separatists, terrorists ect named by the Thai authority.

Also should recognize Islam as natioanl religion the same as Buddhism. Should give the rights to observe Islamic calendar and also name the most important Islamic holiday as national holidays. If Thai aknowledge this country is a bi-culture society than should make recgnition to both religions and cultures. If Thai authority has the wits to do this to recginize Islam and its cultures as part of Thai society, and also give lots of autonomy to this territories, I think eventually the problems will be solved.

But unfortunately, I do not see Thai authority has any of these wits.

:o I beleive this approach was tried in Holland. One of the most liberal and "live and let live" attitudes in the world. Look what happened there and is happening there. :D . If someone does not understand the point I am making please do some research.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those individuals affected. (Regardless of nationality religion etc) The people who carry out this type of action are cowards!

Bali bombs 'were suicide attacks'

Suicide bombers carried out the attacks on three Bali restaurants that killed at least 26 people, a senior Indonesian anti-terror official has said.

Major General Ansyaad Mbai said the remains of their bodies were found at the scenes in the tourist areas of Jimbaran and Kuta.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4301630.stm

I live in Phuket. I am also going to Bali on Monday. I was in Manchester when they cowardly bombed that. I lived in Germany when they detonated bombs there. I was in Karon Beach when the Tsunami hit. My girlfriend was in Madrid, Spain when the Basques bombed that.

Please let me know the next time you come to Pattaya. I think I'll move out for a while while you are here. :o

Hmm. Some very wise words were written after the Second World War. ‘Everyone has freedom of thought conscience and religion’ (which everyone seems to understand). But those words continue ‘except where they affect the freedom and rights of others’ which does not seem to be understood.

Perhaps we should spend some effort implementing in law these great thoughts. We could demonstrate commitment to the security of everyone by starting with intolerant western religious and political leaders?

The Thai muslim militants still have not bombed the capital. The clear reason is they still do not have strong affliates in Bangkok that can make bombs. To make a bomb and carry all the way to the capital from Yala or Naratiwat is a very high risk. But if one day they get strong affiliates or get some sympathisers who have knowlege and the materials to make bombs right in Bangkok, I am sure they will not hesitate to blow up the capital. I can feel the trend is slowly turning into this way if Thai authority still try to play the nationalism stretegy.

The most clever solution is for Thai authority to be much more flexible and stop the nationalistic conspiracy, and start very sincere dialogue with the people they hate the most, with the so called traitors, separatists, terrorists ect named by the Thai authority.

Also should recognize Islam as natioanl religion the same as Buddhism. Should give the rights to observe Islamic calendar and also name the most important Islamic holiday as national holidays. If Thai aknowledge this country is a bi-culture society than should make recgnition to both religions and cultures. If Thai authority has the wits to do this to recginize Islam and its cultures as part of Thai society, and also give lots of autonomy to this territories, I think eventually the problems will be solved.

But unfortunately, I do not see Thai authority has any of these wits.

Mmm ... Islam is recognized already. The white part of the Thai flag represents religion, not Buddhism. In Thailand you are free to go about your business as a Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, Jew or Hindu. If you make trouble then don't cry about the consequences afterwards. We have a couple of Thai Muslim teachers in our school. They are treated the same as any other teacher in our school. The majority of people in Thailand are Buddhist, that's why there are more Buddhist temples than mosques. I think all over the world people are being asked to accommodate Islamic preferences by the hardline minority of Muslims. If they just tried to get on with their lives and follow what they preach, they would have a much easier time of it.

I think all westerners should boycott Indonesia all together! They have NO security and have no intentions of improving things for tourists. All they can say is there are no Al-Qaïda groups in Indonesia. What the? Who is protecting who?

Another causuatly of the American and Bush foreigner policies.

Mission acomplished :D

People will never learn

Thanks Mr Bush for making this world a more dangerous place  :o

"Another causuatly " :D:D Wake up! They were at this long before Bush was even in power....

It's pointless to point out this obvious truth to dimwits like Butterflyman because they fail to understand the true nature of Al Quaeda and its offshoots.The bombing of embassies in Africa and 9/11 itself long predates Bush's foreign policy adventures (and I speak as one very critical of the Iraq war).

People will never learn

"Another causuatly " :D:D Wake up! They were at this long before Bush was even in power....

It's pointless to point out this obvious truth to dimwits like Butterflyman because they fail to understand the true nature of Al Quaeda and its offshoots.The bombing of embassies in Africa and 9/11 itself long predates Bush's foreign policy adventures (and I speak as one very critical of the Iraq war).

This is true, terrorism existed long beforre Bush assumed power. The question is WHY?

One cannot dissociate the Middle East with the present state of affairs.

In fact muslim unrest started in 1973 with the 'oil shokku' and in 1976 with the formation of Al Fatah the political wing of PLO.In Muslim eyes the West and America in particular are unfair towards the Arabs and Islam. Im my opinion if the Middle East question is resolved in a manner ensuring Israel's security and the 'honour' of the Arabs then the pieces will all fall in place and terrorism will fade out. In the present state of affairs about one billion people hate America with a passion.This flood of people can easily produce 'martyrs' and terrorism will never end. Brave decisions by the powerful must be taken in an Arab face saving exercise so that the average muslim, as an example, does not burst into applause while watching a hollywood film when some Marines (the supposedly good guys) are killed.

The notion that terrorism exists because 'they hate freedom' is inaccurate and simplistic. Even a hint that America is really and honestly serious about solving this problem will bear fruit. So far the stance of America is that of going along with Israel. ISRAEL MUST ENJOY SECURITY, but this costs in terms of concessions. If America believes that then the problem will sort itself out because the terrorist groups will lose public (muslim) support and funding.

People will never learn

hi,

you are right,

there has been a long history of troubles with muslims all over the world for decades and most of it not linked to american or western foreign policy.....

i mean ... people jump to conclusions, sure, but bombing tourists and civilians in Bali is not a hit against the west. its a hit against the people of indonisia and particually Bali.

So the muslims are bombing their own people as well as others ( in many different countries ) and sayings its all part of the holy war against the west.

Tourists will go elsewhere. bush will be replaced by someone else when his term ends and the muslims will continue to kill their own peoplem as well as others.

apoligies to all my muslim friends and employees for using the term muslim loosly, i am sure you understand what i mean.

amarka :D

Im my opinion if the Middle East question is resolved in a manner ensuring Israel's security and the 'honour' of the Arabs then the pieces will all fall in place
its a lot more complicated than that.

the only way to solve the "israel/palestine" problem to the satisfaction of the radicals is to overrun israel and kill every jew there.

the west would never allow that.

the terrorists and their supporters have on agenda , have no demands.

they only seek to destroy the societies that they operate in.

The lessons of yesterday's bombings are clear: namely, that the war on terror remains emphatically global, and that the terrorists are determined to destroy life, economic success and optimism wherever they encounter it.

Since September 11, 2001, and especially since the Iraq War, there has been a facile tendency to see the war on terror through the prism of domestic politics, as if the removal of President Bush and Tony Blair would bring an end to the campaign of Islamist groups such as al-Qaeda and its South-East Asian arm, Jemaah Islamiyah. We have heard much in recent weeks about the need to withdraw from Iraq, not least to appease the Islamists. Yesterday's attacks show that the terrorists are unappeasable. They seek not concessions, but the annihilation of everything that they consider incompatible with their grotesque perversion of Islamic doctrine.

This is a struggle fought on many fronts, in which everything is interconnected. Yesterday, US soldiers launched a major assault on an insurgent stronghold in Sadah in western Iraq - which has long been a haven for militants affiliated with al-Qaeda.

There is a thread that connects all these fronts in what is undeniably a worldwide war: a thread that links yesterday's beachside atrocities in Bali with the terrorist cells that spawned the July bombings in London. The terrorists have shown repeatedly that they are thinking globally and acting locally. So must we.

from the uk daily telegraph.

there is no dialogue with these people .

there is only one way to deal with them.

this is from the Bali Forum

Rachel

Melina

Reged: Feb 18 2003

Loc: Bali Latest Update 2.41pm Bali Time

#147373 - Sun Oct 02 2005 02:51 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

dead

13 Indonesians

5 Koreans

3 Australians

1 Japanese

4 yet to be identified

Injured

47 Indonesians

17 Australians ( 2 evacuated this morning)

6 Koreans

4 Japanese

2 Americans

1 Brit

-Hospitals are coping well.

-hotel guests are being asked to stay off the streets for the day in order for the police and emergency services to be able to get around.

-Airport reports normal arrivals and departures, no mass exodus

this is from the Bali Forum

Rachel

Melina

Reged: Feb 18 2003

Loc: Bali  Latest Update 2.41pm Bali Time

#147373 - Sun Oct 02 2005 02:51 AM  Edit    Reply    Quote    Quick Reply   

dead

13 Indonesians

5 Koreans

3 Australians

1 Japanese

4 yet to be identified

Injured

47 Indonesians

17 Australians ( 2 evacuated this morning)

6 Koreans

4 Japanese

2 Americans

1 Brit

-Hospitals are coping well.

-hotel guests are being asked to stay off the streets for the day in order for the police and emergency services to be able to get around.

-Airport reports normal arrivals and departures, no mass exodus

hi..

hardly a successful terrorist atack against the west was it... just the point i was making, they are killing there fellow country men and women more than anything and destroying thier own economy!...

amarka :o

I kind of wish people would spend more time understanding what is causing the rise in terrorism and focus on relieving the fundamental tension points. I’ll wager the vast majority don't know and furthermore could care less what al qaeda's cause is and what they would lay down their arms for. When the reaction is instead getting tougher and trying to guard every single place from every single type of attack, that is not only a losing battle, but we are giving up our freedom, money, and lives in getting caught up in this farcical crusade.

what al qaeda's cause is

what exactly do "we" have to do so that al qaeda will lay down their arms etc. ?

Very good question! Are they open for negotiations? Have someone tried? Or should we maybe NOT negotiate with them?

Also should recognize Islam as natioanl religion the same as Buddhism. Should give the rights to observe Islamic calendar and also name the most important Islamic holiday as national holidays. If Thai aknowledge this country is a bi-culture society than should make recgnition to both religions and cultures.

Absolute crap. It did nothing in Holland but create more problems. Why should a country change it's religeous stance to appease terrorists??? :o I very much suspect the poster is a muslim and a terrorist sympathiser.

Again the people of kuta suffer a mindless cowardly attack. Two of my indonesian friends were killed last time. :D Guess what ? they were from jakarta and were both good Muslims.

The real question for me is why Bali? ok tourists but most of which are Australian? or from the mainland and are Muslim. I can only assume this is a tactic designed to try to force Bali changing it's very strong Hindu following to Muslim by the fear of Allah :D:D

I'm slowly becoming of the opinion that we have a modern day crusade of Islam going on and any who oppose or have another opinion are not considered worthy of life.

If there is a god and he condones this kind of behavior or worship by fear then &^$$ you I'm on my way to ###### and god can kiss my ^&*

People will never learn

:D

Another idiot who think bringing more guns will resolve terrorism. Stay in your village and watch Oprah.

Bush disastrous foreigner policies are the reasons why we are witnessing more spectacular terrorism acts these days.

911 happened because Bush 1 (and Clinton) and Bush 2 were told to get out of SA but they didn't. They were warned several times but they didn't listen. I guess they got the message after 911 because US troops have left that base in Ryad since.

People will never learn

:D

Another idiot who think bringing more guns will resolve terrorism. Stay in your village and watch Oprah.

Bush disastrous foreigner policies are the reasons why we are witnessing more spectacular terrorism acts these days.

911 happened because Bush 1 (and Clinton) and Bush 2 were told to get out of SA but they didn't. They were warned several times but they didn't listen. I guess they got the message after 911 because US troops have left that base in Ryad since.

You are an illiterate turdburger Butterfly, and obviusly deprived of any form or comprehensive schooling from an early age. Wake up :D

Very good question! Are they open for negotiations? Have someone tried? Or should we maybe NOT negotiate with them?

Negotiate with who ? Unlike groups like the IRA and Hamas, Al Queda (sic) doesn't appear to have a political wing. Jeemah Islamiyah is believed to be an Al Queda off-shoot similar to the Abu Sayef (or Abu Sayyaf) group operating in the Phillippines, and other groups operating in other countries (including Islamic countries like Egypt, Oman, Yemen and many African countries).

Their politics, if you can call it that, is simply the domination of their version of Islam over everyone else. In their view, there can be no compromise.

Here is a link to a site that describes Jeemah Islamiyah:

Wikipedia

Hi-lites from that site:

Jeemah Islamiyah (JI) was established as a loose confederation of several Islamic groups. Sometime around 1969, two men, Abu Bakar Bashir, and Abdullah Sungkar, began an operation to propagate the Darul Islam movement, a conservative strain of Islam.

Bashir created a boarding school in Java. The school's motto was, "Death in the way of Allah is our highest aspiration."

Riduan Isamuddin (aka Hambali, another member of JI) wanted a large Islamic caliphate to be established across Southeast Asia, incorporating Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines, Brunei, and Cambodia.

Note that Hambali (and JI) are thought to be responsible for bombing some Christian churches in 2000, along with the various Bali, hotel and embassy bombings since then.

What is their goal ? Along with establishing the Islamic Caliphate mentioned above, they want to install a more hard-line government in Indonesia (in other words, a government that follows their ideas and wishes).

Give these Bali terrorists (and the ones in Southern Thailand) everything they ask for and what happens ? They'll never be satisfied and demand more, until they have total control over everyone and everything.

How do you negotiate with that ?

I hate cockroaches and I kill them on site, I also poison them and trap them then I kill the trapped ones..... terrorists deserve nothing less :o

I tried to negotiate with the cockroaches but I found the more harsh method more effective. :D

Edited by CMguy

Ocupation: Terrorist Group

Name: Jemaah Islamiyah

Aim: To create a one state Muslim Nation throughout SE ASIA.

Now the game has changed again in SE Asia. Suicide Bombers are almost impossible to guard against. The people of ALL countries need to wake up to the fact that EVERYONE is now a target, regardless of political connections.

Sooner or later the world is going to realise that we are engaged in World War 3

Now don't laugh, no one said you have to have mass invasions and swathes of armour moving around. This is a covert war and gorilla warfare. The battle field is the whole world and with a tiny fraction of the initial impact of the last two, as yet....It is however a world wide problem and is intensifying as time passes. The only good news is that all wars finally come to an end. :o

Here's a final thought. How long before a nuke falls into the wrong hands and would they dare use it ? :D

The real question for me is why Bali? ok tourists but most of which are Australian? or from the mainland and are Muslim. I can only assume this is a tactic designed to try to force Bali changing it's very strong Hindu following to Muslim by the fear of Allah :o  :D

Bali makes an ideal target for these people for a couple of reasons.

Bali is predominatly Hindu (Bali Tourism Authority), and therefore unbelievers in the eyes of Allah. Most Balinese can thus be killed without fear of religious repercussions. (Yes, there are a lot of Muslims on Bali as well)

Bali attracts a lot of foreign tourists, the majority (?) of which are also unbelievers.

Surrounded by Muslim Indonesia, it is obviously easy enough to smuggle in large quantities of explosives (easier than trying to get them into a neighbouring, non-Islamic country).

Blowing things up in a popular tourist spot like Bali is sure to make headlines, more so than blowing up some little tea house in a village no one has ever heard of. Also, there is less chance of killing a lot of "true believers"

It's sad that these things continue to happen. Some people blame Bush & Company, without ever looking at the big picture. Most of what is going on is about religion and power.

It wouldn't matter who was president. If the US withdrew its support from Israel, and the Arabs succeeded in wiping them out (as they have often stated as their ultimate goal), it still wouldn't solve anything. Certain groups would still be pushing their own agendas and quests for power. They would just find different excuses for their cause(s), and different people to blame for their preceived injustices.