Question About Importing Dog Into Thailand

I'll be flying from Los Angeles to Koh Samui on Thai Airways. There is 1 stop in Bangkok. The flight I'm looking at has a 1 hour window between arriving in BKK and then leaving for Samui. My question is, will I need to handle things like the import permit in Bangkok, so I will need more than 1 hour, or will they just fly my dog to Koh Samui and I will handle the import permit in Samui?

Also, I want to make sure my dog is handled as "extra baggage" and not shipped as cargo (I have heard bad stories about shipping a pet as cargo!) Do I need to call the airline and arrange for this ahead of time? My dog is 65lb.

Edited by gray42

A one hour window is not enough to recheck luggage and pass through Immigration IMO. I would suggest a much longer period, and as far as I am aware the dog would need to be processed through the vet check at the airport in Bangkok. Please read the thread about importing a pet into Thailand to give you a better idea of the entire process

A one hour window is not enough to recheck luggage and pass through Immigration IMO. I would suggest a much longer period, and as far as I am aware the dog would need to be processed through the vet check at the airport in Bangkok. Please read the thread about importing a pet into Thailand to give you a better idea of the entire process

http://www.thaivisa....-into-thailand/

Thanks SBK. I'll get a flight with a much longer window. I'd rather twiddle my thumbs for a few hours than miss the connecting flight...