Pheu Thai Party Offers Tablets To Thai Students

webfact

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee guys you make my point so well...........

See I've just bought a laptop for my five year old son....I've loaded some educational software and games so that he can familiarise himself with the functions....by the time he is 7 I expect he will probably be able to pass for a basic competency computer certificate.......

Perhaps you would care to evaluate my intentions and let me know the educational downside?

See I've just bought a laptop for my five year old son....I've loaded some educational software and games so that he can familiarise himself with the functions....by the time he is 7 I expect he will probably be able to pass for a basic competency computer certificate.......

Perhaps you would care to evaluate my intentions and let me know the educational downside?

Please let us know how it goes after you get 49 more five year-olds in your living room to replicate the proposal. Of course, you need a bunch of other changes to properly replicate it. A few of the things like having one electrical outlet in your living room and no wi-fi in your house and you not be the one instructing them as you already know about computers.

Seriously, if you thought your example is anything like facing the reality of what is proposed, you don't understand the proposal.

Let us know how you go when he's 6 or 7 and downloading games and getting viruses. If he doesn't drop the laptop before then of course, or have it stolen when he puts his bag down when playing outside.

Also, see how he goes when you turn off your internet access after 6pm when he gets home.

Let us know how you go when he's 6 or 7 and downloading games and getting viruses. If he doesn't drop the laptop before then of course, or have it stolen when he puts his bag down when playing outside.

Also, see how he goes when you turn off your internet access after 6pm when he gets home.

LOL

I see I made a wise decision :)

But of course comparing a 1:1 teaching situation, where the parent is reasonably computer literate is a fair comparison. I do assume that he's going to send said computer to and from school with the tyke on a daily basis, etc etc etc ....

Why are people still trying to defend an amazingly daft populist idea? Oh yeah, 'cause Thaksin suggested it ;)

Why are people still trying to defend an amazingly daft populist idea? Oh yeah, 'cause Thaksin suggested it ;)

It's not a terrible idea. It's just that so much needs to be done before it could ever work.

So no educational downside......thanks guys.......

No educational downside, probably. Just distracting from the enormous problems with the Thai educational system, but that's all :ermm:

It's not a terrible idea. It's just that so much needs to be done before it could ever work.

LOL ...

OK .. "At this point in time, and for the foreseeable future, this is an incredibly stupid idea!" Better? ;)

Build new computer labs with the units slaved to a server and you can TEACH, control access, and not make a 6 y/o and her parents responsible for! ... give away toys for votes and hey ... who knows! .. Maybe you can cause rural parents to go into even more debt when they have to pay for the toy some 6 y/o went swimming with in the khlong :)

Are they planning to give a tablet to each child EVERY year, or just once for the school life of the child?

We don't know....perhaps a Tablet provided to use in school for every child...........that is why many of the negative comments about breakages and damage may not really hold water.....:)....klong or otherwise.......

No educational downside, probably. Just distracting from the enormous problems with the Thai educational system, but that's all :ermm:

Yes Rubi, that's the point. Upgrading the whole education system (teaching students in a modern class room with properly qualified real live teachers, small groups, using modern well proven educational methods which encourage and build analysis and cognitive skills and strongly push kids to build the ability to verabalize their thoughts, their analysis, and to construct and verbalize questions, etc etc) is a far far bigger priority, and to achieve such a scenario will cost big money, and right now any big budgets available to the education mininstry should be spent on this and only this.

There are numerous ideas on 'aids' to learning and there's nothing wrong with aids to learning, but let's please see computers as aids to learning and not as the primary methodology of learning and please lets get budgets into some realistic priority.

Are they planning to give a tablet to each child EVERY year, or just once for the school life of the child?

We don't know...

What we don't know about this nonsense would fill up Impact Arena.

We've already thought and speculated about it longer and more in depth in this thread than the originators (actually the re-originators from 2006) have.

It was a short feel-good vote-bribing offer without nary a thought given to its implementation nor to its ramifications.

We don't know....perhaps a Tablet provided to use in school for every child...........that is why many of the negative comments about breakages and damage may not really hold water.....:)....klong or otherwise.......

The OP only talks about internet access at school and government buildings. That would imply that the PTP are expecting it not to be taken home (since it wouldn't be very useful there without internet access).

Although, why have a tablet if it's not going to be mobile?

And, are they planning to provide secure cupboards to keep the tablets at the school?

Edited by whybother

:) reasonable question ... and after having reviewed the TRT/PPP/PTP platforms ... my belief is ... once every general election :)

The OP only talks about internet access at school and government buildings. That would imply that the PTP are expecting it not to be taken home (since it wouldn't be very useful there without internet access).

And, are they planning to provide secure cupboards to keep the tablets at the school?

That's not what they were suggesting at the thing here in CNX this weekend. Plus if it is only used at school ... not only does it defeat the idea of something mobile and thus useful at home and for continued learning, it really supports building usable computer labs in school instead :)

The tablet allows every student to have daily use of computer facility, to suggest a static solution in local libraries would give very limited time and access to lower numbers.

I guess secure storage would be required.

The tablet allows every student to have daily use of computer facility, to suggest a static solution in local libraries would give very limited time and access to lower numbers.

A static solution (PCs) in schools may be a better solution, if they're not meant to be mobile. They would be more easily maintained and upgradeable.

A static solution (PCs) in schools may be a better solution, if they're not meant to be mobile. They would be more easily maintained and upgradeable.

To me the static solution reminds me of the language labs at my school many years ago, 2 hours a week in the lab to learn a language. The remainder of the lesson time using the usual everyday learning techniques.

I do not feel that the tablet idea is for such learning, perhaps the thought is, the tablet is an exercise book with additional featues, and as such would move around with the student during school hours. Imagine just forwarding your essay to the English lit 4a folder for assessment, that is the sort of advantage I envisage. The other added advantage is that given the coursework is laid out in a user friendly manner, all students will have access to the information at one time, no waiting for library books when trying to complete an assignment.

I have also personally used learning websites for courses and they are very user friendly and informative. The one I use allows the student to print off a certificate on completion.

Honestly not sure about the maintenance one option vs the other. If I was to make a case for static, I would say input is much more efficient from a keyboard as opposed to touch screen. But then again I am old school.

Edited by 473geo

To me the static solution reminds me of the language labs at my school many years ago, 2 hours a week in the lab to learn a language. The remainder of the lesson time using the usual everyday learning techniques.

I do not feel that the tablet idea is for such learning, perhaps the thought is, the tablet is an exercise book with additional featues, and as such would move around with the student during school hours. Imagine just forwarding your essay to the English lit 4a folder for assessment, that is the sort of advantage I envisage. The other added advantage is that given the coursework is laid out in a user friendly manner, all students will have access to the information at one time, no waiting for library books when trying to complete an assignment.

I have also personally used learning websites for courses and they are very user friendly and informative. The one I use allows the student to print off a certificate on completion.

Honestly not sure about the maintenance one option vs the other. If I was to make a case for static, I would say input is much more efficient from a keyboard as opposed to touch screen. But then again I am old school.

I pretty much agree.

But that brings us back to the point most people are trying to make.

The education system in Thailand currently sucks.

Providing the kids with a tablet will not suddenly make that system work.

The teaching methods need to be fixed. The coursework needs to be fixed. The students need to be taught to think and question.

The system needs fixing before a tablet could provide any benefits to the kids.

I pretty much agree.

But that brings us back to the point most people are trying to make.

The education system in Thailand currently sucks.

Providing the kids with a tablet will not suddenly make that system work.

The teaching methods need to be fixed. The coursework needs to be fixed. The students need to be taught to think and question.

The system needs fixing before a tablet could provide any benefits to the kids.

The teaching system could be rebuilt around a new e-learning system.....that is my point.....why? because the current system according to the posters here is apparently failing the children.

I personally think building a static computer section in school to accomodate 30 students at any one time is not the best way forward.....tablets expand access to search engines and learning tools for each individual student during school time. Maybe difficult to control, but surely the more beneficial option.

Just my opinion

The teaching system could be rebuilt around a new e-learning system.....that is my point.....why? because the current system according to the posters here is apparently failing the children.

I personally think building a static computer section in school to accomodate 30 students at any one time is not the best way forward.....tablets expand access to search engines and learning tools for each individual student during school time. Maybe difficult to control, but surely the more beneficial option.

Just my opinion

The teaching system needs to be rebuilt.

But you don't build a system around computers. Computers are always just part of the solution.

They need to change their processes and having tablets is only a small part of that, and a pointless exercise if the system doesn't support them.

Edited by whybother

Just my opinion

The teaching system needs to be rebuilt.

But you don't build a system around computers. Computers are always just part of the solution.

They need to change their processes and having tablets is only a small part of that, and a pointless exercise if the system doesn't support them.

The computer/tablet is only the tool which allows access to a wider choice of E-learning tools, new self study techniques, refreshing interesting platforms for enjoyable learning, and information, the curriculum would be have to be established that best employed the use of these tools. That is where the educational advancement and enhancement will be most beneficial.

The computer/tablet is only the tool which allows access to a wider choice of E-learning tools, new self study techniques, refreshing interesting platforms for enjoyable learning, and information, the curriculum would be have to be established that best employed the use of these tools. That is where the educational advancement and enhancement will be most beneficial.

Yes.

Many similar tools, techniques and platforms are available now, outside of the internet or computers. But they are not being used.

The internet tools will not work unless the teaching techniques are changed. Until that happens, the tablets will be next to useless, even too light for a door stop.

Yes.

Many similar tools, techniques and platforms are available now, outside of the internet or computers. But they are not being used.

The internet tools will not work unless the teaching techniques are changed. Until that happens, the tablets will be next to useless, even too light for a door stop.

I'll take your word that there are self learning systems in place "outside of the internet or computers" that offer up multiple choice questions, identify an incorrect choice, request the user try again, until they choose the correct answer, and can be used by an individual to work at their own pace

Just to add one of the major areas of advancement is the help function on computers. Those that remember the old days will know how the help function was not always too user friendly. These days the help functions can answer questions and walk a user through the solution. A great advancement for young enthusiastic users.

I'll take your word that there are self learning systems in place "outside of the internet or computers" that offer up multiple choice questions, identify an incorrect choice, request the user try again, until they choose the correct answer, and can be used by an individual to work at their own pace

Just to add one of the major areas of advancement is the help function on computers. Those that remember the old days will know how the help function was not always too user friendly. These days the help functions can answer questions and walk a user through the solution. A great advancement for young enthusiastic users.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

My point is, putting a tablet in front of every child will not make one iota of difference unless the teachers learn how to teach and the systems are put in place to to enable learning and thinking.

A tablet with internet access is a VERY small part of what is required.

I don't think you understand the problem.

Or are you proposing we should cheer all proposals that have 'no education downside'?

You are going to pay for that?

How about instead aiming for proposals that have an 'education upside'?

No? Aiming too high?

I don't think you understand the problem.

Or are you proposing we should cheer all proposals that have 'no education downside'?

You are going to pay for that?

How about instead aiming for proposals that have an 'education upside'?

No? Aiming too high?

The point made with that comment was re-enforcing the fact that despite the criticism there was no educational downside.........if you cannot even understand that this statement does not in anyway suggest that there is no upside........and that indeed I have pointed out in many posts the upside......then I think I am not the one with a problem of 'understanding'

In theory it is an excellent given all the access and teaching skills but just as a thought how can you connect perhaps 400 tablets to the internet at the same time?

How big has the outside to be and who will provide it.

CAT, TOT, TT&T and where will they find the bandwidth on 1 x 2Mb landline?

Now imagine 10,000 schools all fighting to get onto the internet during school hours.

If you think that the existing CAT international gateway is big enough now how do you think that it will cope with another 2 or 3 million users in the future?

Also if the school children take the tablets home especially in rural areas how will they connect to the internet.

GPRS/EDGE, 3G, WiFi, landlines.

I use EDGE up in the sticks and when my mate comes over from Denmark both of us have a poor connection if we are both on line.

:o

Edited by billd766