Tired Of The True Tv Game...

zzaa09

Yep. We're dumping our True package. Can't suck enough.....programming, service, unreliable, etc. I'm aware of what might be available with satellite and cable systems in Thailand, but not sure of what might be the best value. Naturally, I would prefer to have a package that provided the regular Thai television reception plus "independent" Thai programming.....and of course, Western and Asian news sources, sporting events, and cultural offerings. I've heard about jsat and others.....anyone out there that can share their experiences regarding Thailand satellite and cable differences would be appreciated. Thanks....:)

I dumped True a few years ago. A total waste of money.

Now have a Thai package of around 200 channels. Mostly Thai but the odd movie channel in English plus TAN Network English news channel.

Costs around 3,000 Baht with no monthly fee.

There seems to be small companies every where selling and installing these systems.

Dynasat, IPM etc. all much of a muchness.

For UK or U.S. TV you can download most of it on Torrent sites.

I dumped True a few years ago. A total waste of money.

Now have a Thai package of around 200 channels. Mostly Thai but the odd movie channel in English plus TAN Network English news channel.

Costs around 3,000 Baht with no monthly fee.

There seems to be small companies every where selling and installing these systems.

Dynasat, IPM etc. all much of a muchness.

For UK or U.S. TV you can download most of it on Torrent sites.

Who are you hooked up with, LB? I know there is quite a selection to be had if one wishes to pursue......I would prefer a "Thai" package. Perhaps with the odd foreign film and Euro/American sporting networks. What is the difference between the cable and satellite? Looking for independent Thai programming as well. Guess I could always research online to know what's available. Thanks.

Just dumped True myself..Had the gold package..waste of money.I had the HD channels sd well.Thats only 2 channels..I only had it for the footy and the news but at 1800 baht not good value.When I cancelled they then offered.me the same package for 1150 baht!..They must be getting desperate....True is such a old fashioned system to watch tv.I want to watch programs when I want to watch them not when they devide to air them So its torrent dowmloafs all the way now.I will do without te footy or go to a bar to watch..Picture quality is so poor unlrss its on the HD channels.As for the news I waych Live station.Its got the BBC CNN AND ALJAZZERA.. Bye bye True..no regrets. Lol

Just dumped True myself..Had the gold package..waste of money.I had the HD channels sd well.Thats only 2 channels..I only had it for the footy and the news but at 1800 baht not good value.When I cancelled they then offered.me the same package for 1150 baht!..They must be getting desperate....True is such a old fashioned system to watch tv.I want to watch programs when I want to watch them not when they devide to air them So its torrent dowmloafs all the way now.I will do without te footy or go to a bar to watch..Picture quality is so poor unlrss its on the HD channels.As for the news I waych Live station.Its got the BBC CNN AND ALJAZZERA.. Bye bye True..no regrets. Lol

I have three TV systems: A static satellite system which cost about Bt3k which purports to offer a hundred channels, but apart from the usual Thai channels, nothing else gets watched. I also have a Dynasat system with a large swivel dish which gets over 500 channels but most of them also not worth watching, although there a few English language channels, cost about Bt30K. Both these systems do not require monthly payments. I also have the UBC Gold package - I find this is the only channel worth watching for live sports events, e.g. Football, tennis, F1 etc. and at Bt1,550 a month is not too bad pricewise.

I too download torrents for movies and stuff but don't consider them a substitute for live TV.

Edited by pnustedt

Some people can never be satisfied, I don't understand that. There is always something to nag about, no matter what you do or get.

I have had True Visions for 4 years now, gold package, and it is wonderful! That is for my taste of course.

I like the 6 sports channels with live EPL, one of them on the HD channel, excellent, also covering Formula One, Tennis, Golf, NBA, Rallye sport, boxing, name it.

Then there are the numerous English language news channels: CNN, BBC, CNBC, Bloomberg, Money channel, Chinese and Taiwanese (English) news, NHK (Japan) is extra.

For the enthusiasts there are the 5 movie channels (one in HD) and for people like myself there are the well known knowledge channels like Discovery, Nat Geo, Animal planet, History ch., for the kids (my son is 6) there are three cartoon channels and for my 11 year old daughter 4 or 5 music channels. On top of course all the Thai channels, I mean all of them. When we don't watch TV we listen to music of one of the numerous channels, divided by type of music.

So what is there to complain about?

Screen quality? Come on, get a good TV set, no probs at all.

Satellite outage? Of course when it rains heavily there is no reception. In my rural area there is also no electricity during heavy rain so cannot watch TV anyway :D

Pricing? I pay 1800 baht per month incl. HD, I paid one year in advance, get one month free, 8.5% discount!

Needless to say I have no complaints, but it depends on your own experience and common sense to have another opinion.

Joe

• Like 1

I have had the satellite gold package from True Vision for 6 years, and pay 1440,- per month.

It suites me, and as I live in the countryside, with internet provided by mobile phone, there is no possibilities of downloading anything. <_<

The only things I miss watching (that I can think of at the moment) are winter sports. :rolleyes:

Who are you hooked up with, LB? I know there is quite a selection to be had if one wishes to pursue......I would prefer a "Thai" package. Perhaps with the odd foreign film and Euro/American sporting networks. What is the difference between the cable and satellite? Looking for independent Thai programming as well. Guess I could always research online to know what's available. Thanks.

Not really sure. We have 2 packages not much difference between them.

Just ask some local satellite shops.

Personally I do not see the point in having True Visions but each to there own. :)

For those living in KHON KAEN area ..........

I have had a VERY satisfactory service from KTV / KhonKaen Cable TV .........

80+ ch. THB 350.- p/mo., additional discount if you pay 3,6,9,12 mos in advance.

WHY is it good compared to ALL satellite packages ??

If there's interruption, you call them and its usually fixed within 1 hr. daytime.

If the weather sucks, they'll adjust the signal strength/stability.

As a foreigner I got : Al Jazeera, Fox, France24 English, FranceTV French, Japanese NHK,

German DW, Singapore CNA English, Australia, Korea KBS, VTV Vietnam, CCTV English,

many SPORTS channel, many entertainment ch. choice, BUT NO Nat.Geo. unfortunaly.

Their office is located not far from the BAR areas of ex Sofitel/ now Pullman hotel

going toward the TRAIN station. Hope this helps and I am NOT benefiting from this

recommendation in any way. Good Luck in Khon Kaen.

ps: AGREE - stay away from SATELLITE craps. wasted a lot of money trying it & now

abandoned as dry leaves catcher during windy weather !!! :)

I live in the khon kaen area too and had ktv, sorry but it sucks, I dont spend my every waking minute watching tv but a bunch of news channels just dont cut it for me. The only real option for english language tv is truevisions and yes it sucks too but at least I have lots of movies, sports and documentaries to watch when I am home. If you cant afford 1500 baht per month thats cool but dont cut down the service because of that.

Some people can never be satisfied, I don't understand that. There is always something to nag about, no matter what you do or get.

I have had True Visions for 4 years now, gold package, and it is wonderful! That is for my taste of course.

I like the 6 sports channels with live EPL, one of them on the HD channel, excellent, also covering Formula One, Tennis, Golf, NBA, Rallye sport, boxing, name it.

Then there are the numerous English language news channels: CNN, BBC, CNBC, Bloomberg, Money channel, Chinese and Taiwanese (English) news, NHK (Japan) is extra.

For the enthusiasts there are the 5 movie channels (one in HD) and for people like myself there are the well known knowledge channels like Discovery, Nat Geo, Animal planet, History ch., for the kids (my son is 6) there are three cartoon channels and for my 11 year old daughter 4 or 5 music channels. On top of course all the Thai channels, I mean all of them. When we don't watch TV we listen to music of one of the numerous channels, divided by type of music.

So what is there to complain about?

Screen quality? Come on, get a good TV set, no probs at all.

Satellite outage? Of course when it rains heavily there is no reception. In my rural area there is also no electricity during heavy rain so cannot watch TV anyway :D

Pricing? I pay 1800 baht per month incl. HD, I paid one year in advance, get one month free, 8.5% discount!

Needless to say I have no complaints, but it depends on your own experience and common sense to have another opinion.

Joe

I get the same through ASTRO for about 500 bht less per month. True is an expensive ripoff.

The op did say VIABLE options and unless he lives in the southern part of thailand astro aint gonna happen einstein, let alone it is illegal to be using astro in thailand.

Try reading my contribution again Igor. It wasn't commenting on the OP but somebody elses opinion that True is good value.

I have a good BB conection and pay 300 bht a month for True Platimum,, seems ok to me,,

OK Lickey, I'll bite. 300 baht a month for True Platinum, how do you do that?

Hi IA, will send you PM with all details, Cheers Lickey.

The op did say VIABLE options and unless he lives in the southern part of thailand astro aint gonna happen einstein, let alone it is illegal to be using astro in thailand.

It is possible to receive the ASTRO signal in Isaan, not sure how far north though. All that is required is a larger than usual dish, preferably solid, not the mesh type.

Looks like it's narrowed down to http://www.dynasat.com/ and http://www.jsat.tv/

jsat have all the answers, but last time I looked they wouldn't instal outside Bangkok. They might ship to you, and you instal?

Yes, this what I understand. I would assume that it would be possible to install it myself.

It's a shame that a number of satellite systems aren't available outside of Bangkok metro.

I work with Satellite TV companies, hate them, but I;d go for JSAT - nice bloke there who speaks English for when you have problems.

Personally I have NO TV at home :) I do like downloading torrents though.

True is far more expensive than Astro - Astro people pretty smart,

DON';T get a bigger TV if you agree with everyone the True picture quality sucks, it will only make it look worse, the smaller the screen the better the picture!

I have a good BB conection and pay 300 bht a month for True Platimum,, seems ok to me,,

Hi Lickey

Would you care to let me in on this info too

Thanks Nick

Hi Lickey

Would you care to let me in on this info too

Thanks Nick

And me too, please. I don't watch a lot of TV, but the ability to have it would interest me a lot.

Details? PM me too, please, we are Prasat area, (Thungmon)

mario299 :jap:

I have an openbox (think dreambox with HD and HDMI) and was using a server to watch True.

But I don't watch English language Tv any more.

I've been offered 'True everything' server shares for, 200bht, 250bht, 300bht a month from the usual suspects.

I want just the basic Thai channels (3, 5, 7, 9), here is the problem.

Everyone wants me to buy more equipment.

As far as I can see, all I need is someone to point my 'true' dish at the IPM satellite.

Is this correct, will it work?

Do I really need a new dish and LNB?

Anyone know.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I have an openbox (think dreambox with HD and HDMI) and was using a server to watch True.

I've been offered 'True everything' server shares for, 200bht, 250bht, 300bht a month from the usual suspects.

As far as I can see, all I need is someone to point my 'true' dish at the IPM satellite.

Anyone know.

You can get the regular channels on Thaicom (same satellite as True) on C band with a big dish/C-band LNB. Alternatively you can purchase either the True freeview card or the device in the 2nd link using your existing ku dish.

http://www.truevisio...kage.aspx?id=13

http://tveasy.tarad....598_th_3017564#

Apart from Thaicom, there are many Thai channels on NSS 6 (IPM satellite at 95E). Usually that does not include 5, 5, 7, 9 unless you have IPM's receiver. However, somebody recently reported that the channels were FTA for the time being - I haven't checked. See this thread.

Anyone know.

You can get the regular channels on Thaicom (same satellite as True) on C band with a big dish/C-band LNB. Alternatively you can purchase either the True freeview card or the device in the 2nd link using your existing ku dish.

http://www.truevisio...kage.aspx?id=13

http://tveasy.tarad....598_th_3017564#

Apart from Thaicom, there are many Thai channels on NSS 6 (IPM satellite at 95E). Usually that does not include 5, 5, 7, 9 unless you have IPM's receiver. However, somebody recently reported that the channels were FTA for the time being - I haven't checked. See this thread.

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4295887

Thanks for the added info!!!:)

Edited by powderpuff