What Neighborhood Would You Recommend?

ThaiBound81

Hi Everyone,

I'm relocating to Bangkok for work in a few months and could really use some help determining a neighborhood to rent an apartment in. I've tried to do lots of research online, but am driving myself crazy in the process. Your expertise and advice is greatly appreciated and will help me pull myself out of this endless black hole of online research that is getting me nowhere.

- 1 Bedroom Furnished, (really prefer not to have a studio), premium apartment is ideal

- My work is at Saphan Kwai BTS, so prefer to stay up to 15-20 minutes away by BTS, don't want to be too close to work, or too far away

- Max Rent: 10,000-12,000 Baht/month, would obviously prefer to pay less

- Walking distance to BTS up to 10 minutes

- Amenities: High Speed Internet is a MUST, also need a kitchen, stove, refrigerator, Air Conditioning…….. a pool, gym, sauna, etc. would be nice but not mandatory

- Safety is paramount…I know Bangkok is relatively safe, but not sure which areas I need to avoid

- Preferably in a district where other expats my age live, I'm 29…I don't speak Thai, and prefer to have some western comforts available

- MUST be close to: a gym (preferably a chain w/ a few locations in BKK and is open lots of hours), supermarket, cheap restaurants (both Thai and International food)

Thanks for helping to point me in the right direction. If you have any recommendations about specific apartment complexes I should look at even better! If you need more information please ask.

Edited by ThaiBound81

Offhand I would say Soi Ari is best since they have a growing neighborhood of Westerners along with an increasing number of hi-so restaurants. Its really close to Saphan Kwai and there are generally little safety concerns. I also know of an apartment complex that rents for about 5000-7000 baht. I've also heard (but not seen) that there are apartments at the Sanam Pao BTS station, which is between Air and Victory Monument. However, it appears that Soi Ari no longer has a gym nearby so area that doesn't fit your requirements.

There is a gym in the Phyathai area and you can find a number of apartments in the Victory Monument area, particularly in Soi Rangnam. There are apartments there in the soi overlooking the park which might be to your liking. There are also a couple of serviced apartments there including VP mansion and Starry Place, although their prices might be above your budget. Take a long walk in Soi Rangnam and I think you will like the general atmosphere. The Century Shopping Plaza is at the corner of Soi Rangna and is connected to the Victory Monument BTS station (the less busy side).

(I probably should add though that this area was the site of red shirt protests and the violence that followed by both the redshirts and the government. You probably want to keep this in mind.)

You may also find some decent places in the Chatuchak area since there are several new condos in that area, some of which sold for reasonable prices. However, offhand I don't know much detail about the actual rental prices.

There are other areas of course, however, that's where the extent of my knowledge ends. Best of luck friend! :D

MG

Edited by mauiguy90

Soi Ari would be a great location for you. The neighbourhood is filled with nicely decorated apartment and good restuarants. The rent is reasonable,easy to travel to work and anywhere else by BTS. Another location would be Chong-Non sri. You can also travel to work by BTS but Chong non sri is a lil bit further up. What i like about Chong non-sri is the neighbourhood is not so busy in the night time. Chong non sri is also close to silom and Sathon area which are the business areas in Bangkok. The rent here could be a lil more expensive than that in Chong non sri but you can expect more service and privacy as well.

I think the big problem is going to be finding a one bedroom at/near your 10-12K price point, especially within walking distance to BTS.

In my experience, one bedroom apartments are a rarity, and while there are new ones popping up, they are marketed to farangs, at farang prices, especially ones that are furnished. Thais seem to prefer studio apartments, and most older construction is dominated by studios.

What you MAY find is a condo, where someone has purchased two adjoining units, and cut a door through the adjoining wall. These are usually, however, far from Western standard, and the furnishings may be rudimentary...

If you can lower your space expectations to around, say, 30 square meters, and make do in a studio, you should have no trouble finding something comfortable.

Not to say that what you want doesn't exist, it's just that it takes time and a bit of networking (Thai language helps a lot) to find the really good deals.

Oh, and I agree with the above poster that the area around Victory Monument is your best bet for the short term - plenty of Western food/amenities, and a vibrant street scene. The condos near Peace Park are, I believe, a bit out of your price range, however.

Walk around, as suggested, and keep your eyes open...

Best of luck.

A one bedroom will be expensive in that area, if you are willing to learn to take the bus - you can consider:

1. I know the Saphan Kwai area very well and go to the Karaoke bars there too often, used to work beside Big C Saphan Kwai.. I don't think there's any affordable one bedrooms. The closest i can think of is the LPN condo - 10-12k for a tiny tiny studio but they have a in-house gym, swimming pool and you can get pre-paid broadband internet (alas it's not available if you're too far away from the modem, i suspect you will need to get broadband service outside) Lots of foreigners here, close to Big C Saphan kwai.

2. http://www.thaiapart...?projectid=2732 it has a swimming pool, close to Major Ratchayothin which houses the California WOW chain of gyms. There're lots of foreigners/ english teachers in this building although i don't think they bother to make friends/ interact. There's a Big C shop, 7-11 opposite the street which is quiet, peaceful :-)

I stayed there for my first year in bangkok and i move upwards into the suburbs now - a One bedroom apartment 40Sqm, 6,000B rent, no foreigner neighbors, central area to Fitness First chain of gym - Rangsit, Fashion island and Chaeng wattana - all within 20 minutes of minivan/ bus rides if there're no traffic. There's a government sports complex close to my apartment where there's a gym, swimming pool, badminton court etc. I don't recommend my location due to the awkward soi that one have to walk in with dogs threatening to bite (never does) - at every chance they get.

hope it helps :-)

Edited by SunDaRi

I think one of the areas to look around would be Phahonyotin / Lat Prao / Jatujak. Certainly in the Central Lat Prao area - and maybe as far up as Ratchayothin. Easy enough to get to Mo Chit from these areas, as there is also the connecting MRT.

I would highly encourage you to budget 20k - 25k given what you are asking for.

If you are willing to catch a songtaew and then bus for a 30 - 45 minute trip everyday to Mor Chit, you can check out many options up Vipawadee Rangsit towards Chaeng Wattana which could probably offer what you want. I would avoid Pahonyothin Rd as the traffic along there can be murder, and the busses crawl along at a snails pace. A one bedroom, walking distance to the skytrain though???? I don't know. Maybe there might be something in your price range along the new extension out by Soi Bearing in Bang Na. That would be my only suggestion.

You really need to consider accepting a Thai style studio to meet your budget restrictions in the area you want.

...Rangsit, Fashion island and Chaeng wattana - all within 20 minutes of minivan/ bus rides if there're no traffic.

Which means plan on 45 minutes any day other than Songkran and New Years. I think the area is a fine suggestion, but don't mislead the poor fellow.

...Rangsit, Fashion island and Chaeng wattana - all within 20 minutes of minivan/ bus rides if there're no traffic.

Which means plan on 45 minutes any day other than Songkran and New Years. I think the area is a fine suggestion, but don't mislead the poor fellow.

Yeah, and how frequent is that on those roads coming into Bangkok? :whistling:

THAIBOUND is this your first time to rent a place in BKK? Your requirements may be very difficult to meet in that price range. check out some websites like mrroomfinder, easyhomes, and sunbelt etc to gauge what is available in your price range.12k is unlikely to get you the size, facilities and type of apartment you describe in a decent neighbourhood. as for fast internet that usually comes as a separate cost same as water, electric and sometimes cable.

goodluck anyway

Depends on the time :-) I go to these places daily, 20-30 mins is average traveling time. Plus i said I am living and I don't recommend. Please open your eyes and read. Cheers.

Rent is only part of the story. Many apartment managers mark electricity way up and also charge outrageously for water.

The base electricity rate is B3/unit; that's what one pays buying direct from EGAT, such as home and condo owners. One of the advantages of renting a condo is that you will usually pay this rate. Apartment elect. goes thru the apartment buildings meter and they are free to mark it up however much they want to. B5-6/unit is fairly normal but some mark it up to B8-10/unit; this can add thousands of Baht onto your expenses, especially during hot season when you run the air the most. Always ask the electrical rate when checking a place out.

I live in a large studio and do my own laundry. My water bill is never more than B200/mo. but many places charge a flat rate of up to B1000 for water.

Is cable TV provided and how much per month or do you have to make your own arrangements with True and pay the building an installation fee: same for internet.

I think for what you want, you are more in the B15,000+ range, without utilities.

Many complexes are mixed condo and rental. The management usually wont tell you about available condo's but look for signs posted nearby the buildings.

www.9apartment.com has a lot of listings though many are out of date, good resource though.

I suggest you make a monthly deal with an inexpensive hotel your first few months and give yourself time to check different areas and rentals out.

Edited by dddave

I know of great new 50 sqm condos in the Udomsuk area with its own gym, swimming pool and close by to Top's Supermarket. With the skytrain extension opening in June, these condos are really cheap renting for 11K baht and up. However, the OP said that he will be working in the Saphan Kwai area. There are also a lot of apartments in the Soi Intamara area that are not expensive, although you have to do a bit of exploration. Further in the soi, there are lots of apartments and some condos in the Huay Kwang area, which is connected to Saphan Kwai thru Soi Intamara. If you're adventurous, jump on a bus into the soi and get off when you see something you like. Its a thai thai area but most places that fit your with 11K budget are very thai.

Or just check out soi Sailom, which is also called Phahonyotin Soi 2, which you can get to from the ARi BTS station by walking down a small soi directly across from Soi Ari. It gets very thai in just a few meters, but the area is safe and you can find a 5000-7000 baht place easily there. Two of the better ones are in Soi Sailom next door to each other. Take the one that costs a bit more--they are friendlier and the apts are a bit nicer.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all so much for your posts and sorry for the late reply...I was traveling and did not have Internet access for the past several days. It appears I'm asking for too much with my budget, which is very good to know. I'm happy to find a studio instead of a one bedroom, especially if that's more local style anyways.

I really appreciate the list of neighborhoods and web sites that were mentioned and I will be sure to check them out and do some research so I can get a better feel for prices/locations/amenities in certain areas. I've done a little research on the Soi Ari area and it definitely sounds like an area I'd enjoy (except for the fact there's no gym there).

Curious to know from your experiences and knowledge if you think a foreigner walking into an apartment building will be quoted higher monthly rates than a local would be. If so, is negotiating expected or is it pretty much take it or leave it?

If anyone has names of specific apartments/condos you think I'd be interested in I'm all ears. Thank you again for everything so far! Very, very helpful.

"Curious to know from your experiences and knowledge if you think a foreigner walking into an apartment building will be quoted higher monthly rates than a local would be. If so, is negotiating expected or is it pretty much take it or leave it?"

Always negotiate ... there's a lot of property available in Bangkok and you can usually get a discount. Also try to get internet or other services included.

Also consider that many people use Agents to find property and the Agents expect a commission from the owner .... so if you walk in off the street the owner will be saving quite a bit in commission.

Craigs list also worth a look.

I rented an apartment for someone just off soi aree.5000mer month electricity at 7/unit.

Its about 28sqm, just ok furnishing, with just channel asia for your english TV. its very quiet, I see lots of westerners walking out the soi most mornings.

Pm me if you more details.