Raw Eggs In Thailand

mussen

i used to work nights at a 5star inn/rest.and one job was to make sure the eggs were put back to the cold room as they would go off in the kitchen,i have always wondered about the eggs you see out in the sun all day,i like my eggs runny ,but i have never been ill,why is it some of the eggs you buy exsp.the large ones seem to be full of water.

There will be a chance of Salmonella in eggs in most countries including Thailand.

It also depends on what you plan to do with the eggs ... if you put the raw egg direct into a cocktail then drink it ... you may be OK because the Salmonella ideally likes time to grow after it's been added to a product. Avoiding cracked eggs can also improve your odds as Salmonella is more commonly found on the shell and not in the egg. Keeping the eggs cool can help ... although some studies have shown that fluctuating temperatures can help the bacteria to contaminate the inside of the egg via condensation on the shell.

But it's a bit like Russian Roulette (or sex without a condom) ..... sooner or later you will get a dose.:blink:

salmonella is not Ebola or HIV. It's dangerous for people with compromised immune systems like the very young and very old.

The odds of getting salmonella is fairly low but not impossible. The symptoms tend to be diarrhea. Taking a probiotic will tend to knock it out within a few hours.

I think in the US one needs to consume about 22,000 eggs to statistically get salmonella. Maybe better or worse odds in Thailand.

Just inspect the egg for cracks or discoloration.

If the whites or yolk is overly runny then discard the egg

if there is a funny smell then discard the egg

If the egg floats in water then discard the egg

if the egg is rolled on a flat surface it should wobble

Use a few simple tests and pay attention and the odds are low.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

i have always wondered about the eggs you see out in the sun all day

You can keep the eggs out of refrigeration if the eggs have not been wash like in Thailand but in farangland they wash the eggs destroying the natural protection of the eggs. When they are wash they are getting porous. The unwashed ones have a longer shelf life.

Edited by NamKAheng

i have always wondered about the eggs you see out in the sun all day

You can keep the eggs out of refrigeration if the eggs have not been wash like in Thailand but in farangland they wash the eggs destroying the natural protection of the eggs. When they are wash they are getting porous. The unwashed ones have a longer shelf life.

the (unwashed) thailand eggs are same clean as the (washed) farang eggs... how comes?

do you have a link about the washing/protection/shelf life thing?

NamKAheng... i found, that it is in europe absolutely prohibited, to wash the eggs during the manufacturing/packaging process...

the raw eggs in europe aint cooled. they are stored near the fridges, but thats it...

i thought it was about BOILED eggs, which have to be cooled, as during boiling the shell might crack...

Edited by ddpffft

the (unwashed) thailand eggs are same clean as the (washed) farang eggs... how comes?

do you have a link about the washing/protection/shelf life thing?

If you do a Google search you will find a lot of link about washed or unwashed eggs. My experience come from a farmer and is saying that washed refrigerated eggs have a shelf life of 4 weeks and unwashed room temperature stored eggs 6 to 8 weeks and unwashed refrigerated eggs easily 8 weeks. Unwashed eggs have a natural bacterial barrier call the bloom that disappeared when you wash them.

I agree, this is a good topic.

I recently made mayonnaise with an egg bought from my local mom n pop shop, which I guess was originally purchased at the market. I consumed the mayo within 2 hours of making it and later that day had a very dodgy stomach, and although it could of course have been from something else the egg was the prime suspect in my opinion.

I thought maybe I should only ever buy the (overpriced) CP eggs from 7/11 after that but is there likely to be any difference?

Very strange that a few of you think that CP eggs will be better???

The mass produced eggs here, such as CP, are appauling. Have you not noticed how thin the shell is and how watery the white is? It's the same anywhere in the world, mass farming produces cheap, but bad quality products. If you have some happy, well looked after chickens you get eggs that have a good thick shell and a nice thick white. And as a few other posts have said; it's the shell that protects the egg, so the mass produced eggs with thin shells, like CP, are surely going to be a higher risk. They're certainly a lot worse to cook with.

Whether you're eating them raw or cooking them, spending a few extra baht on getting some free range eggs from a good farm makes a huge difference.

after my mrs had a tray of eggs from the market i put 4in a saucepan to boil straight away they floated to the top,30eggs in the bin,now she only buys cp but wish we could get free range even at double the price.

Salmonella is not a kind of thing to be undervalued. potential risk is in all (ALL) raw eggs, it don't count if extensive farm or the friendly old farmer, also having a chicken on the terrace you will risk the same...

In Europe is forbitten to wash eggs not because they loose "the protection" (??) but because is easy to contaminate the egg from the shell who is porouse.

Haccp procedures allowed to store eggs in normal shelter in the markets and Gdo, but have to be stored in a fridge (separate from other foods) once buyed (talking about restaurants).

Same procedures do not allowed to use raw eggs in pastry shops as well in ice cream production, just pastorized.

At home you can choose.

If i don't remember wrong a few years ago studies show that about 1/3 of the eggs coulb be infected by salmonella on the shell, being salmonella living and rasing very well in the hens feces. This of course do not mean 1/3 of eggs are contamined, but simply that could be contamined if not handled in the right way.

Salmonella is thermolabile, so very easy to solve the problem cooking the eggs.

Everyone is free to get the risk he is ready to care on, but better do not take with risk with kids, pregnant women or elder people.

I know personally a girl who take a very bad sickness having eaten a Tiramisu made with raw eggs in a party... she start with a salomellonis that she undervalue, getting a EpatiteA and getting worse going near to loose the liver. She made a very long and difficoult suit to the restaurant, winning after about 6 years fighting. She got a lot of money, but she never felt better and she still have a lot of problems for that incident.

Potentially risks are in all poultry meats...

Do it worth?

wai.gif

Edited by Ciocco
  • Like 1

I agree, this is a good topic.

I recently made mayonnaise with an egg bought from my local mom n pop shop, which I guess was originally purchased at the market. I consumed the mayo within 2 hours of making it and later that day had a very dodgy stomach, and although it could of course have been from something else the egg was the prime suspect in my opinion.

I thought maybe I should only ever buy the (overpriced) CP eggs from 7/11 after that but is there likely to be any difference?

having a restaurant we buy a lot of eggs i have found that the eggs from mom and pop stores tend to be older ie runny, more water, so we buy eggs that are dated from a trusted source such as makro we can normally buy 1 or 2 day old no problem and are used within a day or 2

tesco 7/11 also have fresh eggs just look at the date on the box

Salmonella is not a kind of thing to be undervalued. potential risk is in all (ALL) raw eggs, it don't count if extensive farm or the friendly old farmer, also having a chicken on the terrace you will risk the same...

In Europe is forbitten to wash eggs not because they loose "the protection" (??) but because is easy to contaminate the egg from the shell who is porouse.

Haccp procedures allowed to store eggs in normal shelter in the markets and Gdo, but have to be stored in a fridge (separate from other foods) once buyed (talking about restaurants).

Same procedures do not allowed to use raw eggs in pastry shops as well in ice cream production, just pastorized.

At home you can choose.

If i don't remember wrong a few years ago studies show that about 1/3 of the eggs coulb be infected by salmonella on the shell, being salmonella living and rasing very well in the hens feces. This of course do not mean 1/3 of eggs are contamined, but simply that could be contamined if not handled in the right way.

Everyone is free to get the risk he is ready to care on, but better do not take with risk with kids, pregnant women or elder people.

I know personally a girl who take a very bad sickness having eaten a Tiramisu made with raw eggs in a party... she start with a salomellonis that she undervalue, getting a EpatiteA and getting worse going near to loose the liver. She made a very long and difficoult suit to the restaurant, winning after about 6 years fighting. She got a lot of money, but she never felt better and she still have a lot of problems for that incident.

Do it worth?

wai.gif

Really tough making mayonnaise with boiled eggs :)

Living is dangerous - everybody die from it sooner or later.

At home you can choose.

Do it worth?

wai.gif

Really tough making mayonnaise with boiled eggs smile.png

Living is dangerous - everybody die from it sooner or later.

Of course not...wink.png but if me or you we have to make mayonnaise for ourself it is a risk we can afford... not a good idea to do this in a restaurant serving others.

In a restaurant i prefer to use a good quality mayonnaise prepared with pastourized eggs, i know... less taste... but safer (expecially considering mayonnaise like a sauce who stay long time around, different from the home made done and eaten).

About living is dangerous.. i agre... but looking to the gal i wrote... am sure she is not so happy

wai.gif