Child Custody For Unmarried Parents

cooper02

I am a farang man who has been living in Thailand for approximately four years.

I have lived together with my Thai girlfriend nearly that entire time, never married.

We have a one-year old daughter. I am registered on the birth certificate as the father and she has my family name. We have already obtained a foreign passport for her.

The living situation with the mother is becoming intolerable. If I split with the her, what kind of situation am I looking at regarding my daughter? What rights do I have, both theoretically (according to by-the-book law) and practically (what will really happen here in LOS)?

Any thoughts/responses would be greatly appreciated.

I am a farang man who has been living in Thailand for approximately four years.

I have lived together with my Thai girlfriend nearly that entire time, never married.

We have a one-year old daughter. I am registered on the birth certificate as the father and she has my family name. We have already obtained a foreign passport for her.

The living situation with the mother is becoming intolerable. If I split with the her, what kind of situation am I looking at regarding my daughter? What rights do I have, both theoretically (according to by-the-book law) and practically (what will really happen here in LOS)?

Any thoughts/responses would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you can get full custody of your daughter, but in the real world that might not be so simple. I would have a quiet talk with a lawyer before you start making to many plans. Perhaps explain that your daughter would get a better education if she were to go to remain with you and that you would of course insure that the mother would see the child on a regular basis. Or offer cash that works too sometimes

Edited by mpdkorat

Yes, but the key is if the mother wants custody. If you are still able to have a conversation with her I suggest sitting down and talking it through. Otherwise, try going through a third party. Good luck and remember to keep calm, getting too emotional will only make things worse.

Thanks for all the information, the advice, and the expressions of emotional support.

I pretty much expected that the system - both theoretically and practically - is stacked in her favor, but we'll have to see how it goes. Perhaps the weakness of my legal position argues for some concession on my side, to try and make the current living situation more tolerable.

Seriously, thanks again.