Learning To Drive

ianf

My Thai girlfriend/partner would like to learn to drive.

I would like her to drive properly unlike half the idiots who move their cars here in Chiang Mai but cannot drive them.

Is there a driving school or some such place?

O

Depending on the patience and competence of both, it may not be best to give driving lessons to one's partner. It could conclude with strained emotions at best, and being on the verge of separation at worst. Go with a third party, one who is trained and able to deal with beginning drivers. Of course, finding such a person here may be a challenge.

Depending on the patience and competence of both, it may not be best to give driving lessons to one's partner. It could conclude with strained emotions at best, and being on the verge of separation at worst. Go with a third party, one who is trained and able to deal with beginning drivers. Of course, finding such a person here may be a challenge.

:lol:

Prior to the arrival of Facebook, the biggest cause of divorce and domestic violence was trying to teach one's spouse how to drive. Don't do it!!

I did, 20 years ago. Whilst practising reversing (around a corner keeping close to the verge) I think I was too dumbstruck when asked which way to turn the wheel to have any form of argument. I have since learned I am wrong, I always have been and always will be!

Also interested to find a Thai teacher, who is able to demonstrate more than just basic knowledge.

Such as= don't go into crawling mode because you want to U-turn in 500, start rolling to merge with traffic, purely defensive or fearful driving is dangerous, never hit the brakes without looking into the back mirror......................

I assume that you can drive, so why don't you just teach your gf yourself ? :rolleyes:

Trust me on this one; DON`T DO IT.

I tried teaching my girlfriend to drive, or to be exact; aim a vehicle on the road a couple of years ago.

After only ten minutes in the hot seat sitting next to her, everything started to turn red, my nerves completely went to pot and the urge to rip her head off became overwhelming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4

Why is that funny? What's wrong with you? Why are you here?

There are several driving schools in Chiang Mai. You can find them on Google, in Thai.

I think competent Thai drivers (cars, not motorbikes, songtaws) are like airplanes that didn't crash - the unreported majority.

Sure there are many stunning examples of bad driving, but didn't you notice a lot of that in your home country?

OK, we can go back to the inane generalizations about Thai's and traffic, now.

There are several driving schools in Chiang Mai. You can find them on Google, in Thai.

He's right. Nothing funny about it. Driving a car is serious business and puts many people's lives at risk.

The one place I would NOT recommend is the first place on the left on Thannon Chang Phueak (coming from Pratu Chang Phueak). All of the instruction is done at the dirt lot across from Big C on the Super Highway with no actual driving in traffic on city streets.

There are many other driving schools in town. Pick one that you are comfortable with. They don't have 2 steering wheels but do have a a brake over-ride for the instructor.

Edited by elektrified

Also interested to find a Thai teacher, who is able to demonstrate more than just basic knowledge.

Such as= don't go into crawling mode because you want to U-turn in 500, start rolling to merge with traffic, purely defensive or fearful driving is dangerous, never hit the brakes without looking into the back mirror......................

No one can come forward with a good experience??

Just to annoy people like you. As for the "why is that funny" part. Where do they have a course for teaching driving intructors?

Edited by Semper

Took the GF a few years ago to the big empty area behind Airport Central, used to have loads of old tyres there, so would make her a few obstacles and junctions with them...this got her familiar with how a car works, brake, accelerator, awareness of the size of car etc.

After that she took lessons....one from a next to useless instructor, in a knackered old manual truck....waste of time.....then another instructor who was pretty good in a modern car.

One thing to remember the Thai test (the practical part) is not all that extensive, so don't think because she has passed the test she is proficient! It just means she can handle the basics of car control and will still need plenty of practice after that.

To be fair though, the theory part of the test is pretty good, so at least they know what 'should' be the correct way to drive.

. . .

After that she took lessons....one from a next to useless instructor, in a knackered old manual truck....waste of time.....then another instructor who was pretty good in a modern car.

. . .

Today was another Sunday to discover the back roads of Thailand. I do travel these same roads almost daily, but discoveries seem to present themselves on Sunday mornings.

So, as I and a Thai friend were motorcycling along the east side of the Ping River, we came up behind a pick up truck bearing a sign announcing in English "Driving Lessons" and the phone number. The truck was moving rather slow, so I gathered--and my Thai friend agreed--that we were behind a student learning to drive. The amazing thing was that the truck was consistently about 1/3 into the right lane and 2/3 in the left. Voila! This is where they learn to drive like that. Why wasn't the instructor requiring the student to drive in the left lane only?

The Thai friend remarked: "Kru mai dee." (Teacher no good.)

Moral of the story: Before paying a driving school for lessons, ask to follow the instructor around for a few hours.

Teaching a partner doesn't work, done that but l think a driving instructor here would be next to useless. :)

Yep so the answer is self explanatory... No choice... Besides what other things have been deferred to strangers teaching ones mate?? How to do the budget? Laundry? Clean the house properly? Sex? So why leave this one to a stranger??

Well maybe the "sex" part was taught by strangers depending on where one has met their mate :whistling: ?

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just to annoy people like you. As for the "why is that funny" part. Where do they have a course for teaching driving intructors?

Racing schools :whistling: