Do You Let Your Kids Play On- Line Internet Games?

Semper

Mine never have been "conditioned" towards such mind altering devices. Therefore, they don't find the fancy nor stimulation. Their extended world is already dumbed down enough without the model of mindlessness that is electronic gadgetry.

Not really my business but it is a bit worrying to see the proliferation of internet shops.

In my area ( a small market town) there are probably a dozen or more shops and they always seem to be full of schoolchildren (at all times of day) , with 99% playing games.

My three kids (5,6,and 7 years old) are allowed to play internet games once a week at the internet cafe. Under my supervision. I've resisted having the internet installed at home as the temptation (for me as well as my kids) to be online too often is unhealthy.

My three kids (5,6,and 7 years old) are allowed to play internet games once a week at the internet cafe. Under my supervision. I've resisted having the internet installed at home as the temptation (for me as well as my kids) to be online too often is unhealthy.

I always have to laugh when i read posts like this. I was always left free, could play computers and the internet as much as i wanted, provided my schoolwork was done. It never did anything bad to me. So tell me how is being online more unhealthy then watching TV ?

Sure kids need to play outside too and do sports. It all depends on what is too much.. and what other things are done.

Ya makes me laugh too, Im totally into online games myself and have always been into games for the past 20 years. I dont drink, I dont smoke, dont waste my time going to bars, dont buy hookers... hmmmmmmmmmmm I guess if I hadnt been playing games during my leisure time instead of those other activities I'd be a much better person right? LOL, people AMAZE me with their strange vision of whats right.

Mine never have been "conditioned" towards such mind altering devices. Therefore, they don't find the fancy nor stimulation. Their extended world is already dumbed down enough without the model of mindlessness that is electronic gadgetry.

Actually studies have shown that a moderated amount of these games is very beneficial for many child development attributes such as coordination, problem solving, team work and others.. The key like all others is moderation..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Many games are actually quite educational.

Many games are actually quite educational.

Yep....

Ya makes me laugh too, Im totally into online games myself and have always been into games for the past 20 years. I dont drink, I dont smoke, dont waste my time going to bars, dont buy hookers... hmmmmmmmmmmm I guess if I hadnt been playing games during my leisure time instead of those other activities I'd be a much better person right? LOL, people AMAZE me with their strange vision of whats right.

+1 :)

I would if I had any. I'd rather they play computer games than watch tv. Lots people first get interested in computers through gaming and end up making a career out of it.

Of course, it depends on age what games they could play. Most gamers are adults and talk like adults while playing

Our 2 kids where playing at home, mostly Ragnarok; kept them away from bad influence/drugs etc.

Now they are at university and playing online games isn't that important anymore.

Keeping contact with old and new friends/family with facebook, email, Skype etc, listen to music, watching movies

is the favorite recreational use at the moment.

Playing these games made them quite computer safe.

Our 2 kids where playing at home, mostly Ragnarok; kept them away from bad influence/drugs etc.

Now they are at university and playing online games isn't that important anymore.

Keeping contact with old and new friends/family with facebook, email, Skype etc, listen to music, watching movies

is the favorite recreational use at the moment.

Playing these games made them quite computer safe.

Pst dont tell that to all the old timers here. They like to believe in a boogyman. The big bad internet and gaming experience.

They prefer Youtube on PC for watching songs and videos, and love the kids games available on Ipad. Both have some excellent stuff for kids... Happy for them to learn. Have to watch out for the idiots on Youtube tho who often dub over kids cartoons with adult swearwords...

A true story of a child gaining experience.

Back in the early days of computer games when my family and I were living in New York, I bought my then 7 year old son a computer game, which was on CD called Millennium.

The game involved auctioneering where the player had 1 character out of 6 to choose from and then each character was given an imaginary sum of money, placed in an auction house and had to bid against the remaining 5 characters to buy and sell items at the auction. The winner was the character that made the most profit on the items bought. My son choose to be some guy called, Johnny Sprite.

I left my son alone on the computer playing the game for the next 3 hours.

After that I went into the room to check how my son was doing and saw that he was crying and in tears.

I asked him, what's wrong, why are you crying? He replied; I lost all my money and the game wont let me buy or play anymore.

I said to my son, you have just learnt a most important fundamental lesson in life. He asked, what lesson Daddy? I replied; that if you run out of money, no one want's to know you and you're out of the game.

Then my son stopped crying, I reset the game and he began all over again.

My son always remembered my words and I believe that experience made him a wiser person, so perhaps not all computer games are bad for the kids.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I always have to laugh when i read posts like this. I was always left free, could play computers and the internet as much as i wanted, provided my schoolwork was done. It never did anything bad to me. So tell me how is being online more unhealthy then watching TV ?

Sure kids need to play outside too and do sports. It all depends on what is too much.. and what other things are done.

your logic is somewhat spurious, because unless you are 20, the internet was a very different thing in your formative years.

The internet has developed radically in the 15 years i have been in Thailand. It certainly was not the resource it is now when i was in uni. nor did it have the same pitfalls.

the internet's true impact on culture had not even begun to be felt pre the mid 90s.

would i let my child play, yes. unsupervised, not on your life.

unfortunately, children grow independent, and i only hope my relationship with my child develops in such a manner that the secrets she keeps from me are insignificant, and enough of a trust has been established that she continues to seek my counsel.

this hope is not limited to the internet, but junk food, drugs and all the other nasties that await her.

at best, i hope to be able to explain to her where i went wrong, where i went right and discuss everything in between.

Edited by nocturn

A true story of a child gaining experience.

Back in the early days of computer games when my family and I were living in New York, I bought my then 7 year old son a computer game, which was on CD called Millennium.

The game involved auctioneering where the player had 1 character out of 6 to choose from and then each character was given an imaginary sum of money, placed in an auction house and had to bid against the remaining 5 characters to buy and sell items at the auction. The winner was the character that made the most profit on the items bought. My son choose to be some guy called, Johnny Sprite.

I left my son alone on the computer playing the game for the next 3 hours.

After that I went into the room to check how my son was doing and saw that he was crying and in tears.

I asked him, what's wrong, why are you crying? He replied; I lost all my money and the game wont let me buy or play anymore.

I said to my son, you have just learnt a most important fundamental lesson in life. He asked, what lesson Daddy? I replied; that if you run out of money, no one want's to know you and you're out of the game.

Then my son stopped crying, I reset the game and he began all over again.

My son always remembered my words and I believe that experience made him a wiser person, so perhaps not all computer games are bad for the kids.

thank you for that brief glimpse into your own personal mythology.

a parable for modern times that.

I can't see that it did Bill Gates any harm. :whistling:

Child psychologists have discovered that 75% of what children are ever going to learn is during their first 6 years of life. After that their mental programming is set for life. All it takes from then on is moulding and guiding. Children basically want to imitate their parents. If they see you at the computer then they will want to try it. I grew up in a creative family that always bickered at the supper table. To visit our home at meal time you would think a war was going on. But, we learned how to debate and listen to what the other person had to say. I wouldn't have a television in my home until my daughter was 12 and my son was 10, There were no computers. Until then it was homework in the evening and then family time together. Both my children grew into responsible adults. My son loved the computer games as a teenager and my daughter became a computer technician, but they never allowed it to rule their life. I don't think there is anything wrong with computer games if it is balanced with other things. Whenever I visit my adopted Thai kids I take them to the computer shop to play any game they want for about an hour or more.