Can Thai Women Marry Outside Of Her Hometown?

Hi,

My girlfriend is from Buriram, but we are living in phuket. Can we marry here in phuket? (and if so, I heard that there is some type of paper that she needs to show that she is free to marry) I heard that this can be obtained at a government office in Kathu. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise! :)

My advice would be to visit your local registry office and ask them to give you a list of exactly what you will each need to do and what documents you will need.

If you are a foreigner you will need to get a certificate of freedom to marry from your own embassy. Then it will need to be translated and taken to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs for verification - I believe that the only place you can do this is in Bangkok - but you don't have to attend yourself, an agency or friend can do that for you.

Good luck

Hi

Sure, go to the Family & Children Forum and look at the pinned thread on Thai family law for specifics on what you need to find out. I married my wife in Samut Prakan (registered at the Amphur there), but she is from a village in Surin Province. Hope this helps.

mario299 :jap:

You can get married at any ampur you want. No need to go to her village.

Many Thais go to Bangrak in Bangkok to marry (literally "village of love"). Assuming your bride is over 20, the only thing other than her ID card and house papers that she will need is a copy of her divorce certificate if she has previously been married. You, on the other hand, need an affidavit or affirmation of freedom to marry from your embassy, translated into Thai and certified by the Ministry of Foreign affairs at Chaeng Wattana.

If you are a foreigner you will need an affirmation of freedom to Marry from your Embassy, you will need to attend your Embassy as your signature needs to be witnessed by an Embassy Consulate. Most Embassies have this form available on their website. It then needs to be translated and stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, this part can be handled by an agent (at a cost).

Once you have this you can attend the Amphur Office in Phuket Town, you need your passport, affirmation of freedom to marry (suggest making copies), she will need her ID card and Tabian Baan and a witness (Thai person that knows her). As for cost when I did it (my wife is from Trang) it cost 150 baht.

If took about 20 minutes from start to finish, good luck.

If you are a foreigner you will need an affirmation of freedom to Marry from your Embassy, you will need to attend your Embassy as your signature needs to be witnessed by an Embassy Consulate. Most Embassies have this form available on their website. It then needs to be translated and stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, this part can be handled by an agent (at a cost).

Once you have this you can attend the Amphur Office in Phuket Town, you need your passport, affirmation of freedom to marry (suggest making copies), she will need her ID card and Tabian Baan and a witness (Thai person that knows her). As for cost when I did it (my wife is from Trang) it cost 150 baht.

as usual different places differnt rules, i got married to girl from Phitsunolok in Samui. No witness.

as usual different places differnt rules, i got married to girl from Phitsunolok in Samui. No witness.

On the register you wil find two witnesses to the wedding registration. Often the amphur proveides them themselves, without even asking you.

Got married in Bangrak yesterday, wife from Surin. Witnesses supplied locally no problem. I was impressed with the computer system as they did an online check on her to determine if she was free to marry, she had a lot of papers with her but really only needed her ID and family book.

• 2 weeks later...

You had witnesses, the nice ladies at the Amphur. :)

Check your Kor Ror 2, they have signed it as witnesses.

• 4 weeks later...

A legal Tranlation Office in or near Phuket can do the translation of your Certificate of Free to Marry and have it certified for you instead of traveling to Bangkok.

Yes there is a nominal fee, but much less than travel to BKK etc.

I have to first obtain the affirmation to marry from the american embassy in bangkok, so unfortunately I think there is no way around travel to bkk. Is it possible to obtain the affirmation letter without being physically present?