Speaking For Someone Else

NguuMuu

If a female English speaker knows absolutely zero Thai and they ask me (I am male) to say "thank you" to a Thai speaker for them, then what would I say: "She says khap khun kaa" or "she says khap khun khap"? Do I use the polite particle for myself (male), or for her?

Simple question, but I haven't been able to find a proper answer to this on the internet or from my Thai friends.

I wonder if this might work - เขาฝากบอกขอบคุฌด้วยนะครับ "kao faak bawk korp koon duay na krup". You might drop the "na" if the situation was a bit more formal. Yoot or Bambi, would this sound natural to you?

Edited by Bobcat

I wonder if this might work -  เขาฝากบอกขอบคุฌด้วยนะครับ "kao faak bawk korp koon duay na krup".  You might drop the "na" if the situation was a bit more formal.  Yoot or Bambi, would this sound natural to you?

sound good to me Bobcat , :D:D:o:D

i might add some word like เขาฝากมาบอกว่า ขอบคุณด้วยนะครับ

or

เขาฝากบอกมาว่า ขอบคุณด้วยนะครับ

Neeranam, yes you would use the word "ka" if you are a female speaking on behalf of your female friend. However, the OP would use the word krup in the above context becuase it is he (male) that is the one speaking to the Thai person. He would not need to say "ka" - his female friend would use that particle if she spoke to the Thai person herself. What the OP (male) is telling the Thai person is "thank you", which is "korp khun" only. In this particular context, the polite particle "ka" can be omitted. However, of course you can use "ka" as well to emphasize that your female friend is being very polite. :o

Edited by Bobcat

Agree with Bobcat. In a sentence such as the above, the "khrap" is not to be counted as part of what she says, it is part of the speaker's own sentence. To add a "kha" in, it should be inserted after "khawb khun", but in my experience people do not use it, instead they would add a "maak" to emphasize a greater degree of gratitude.