4 Yo 'Luuk-Khreung' Going On Holidays In Europe Without His Parents

A French friend of mine is going to spend a month in France with his Thai lady, and I would like my 4 yo son to travel with them, so that the boy can spend some time with his grandparents there. The boy loves his grandparents, he's been to France before and is looking forward to going back again. The friends he will travel with are fully trustable and they're like an uncle and aunt to him. My Thai wife and I would stay here in Thailand, but of course we will be at Suvarnabhumi for the check in, and the grandparents will be at the airport in Paris.

I still don't know what airline they will fly with, as my friend hasn't booked his ticket yet. As soon as we know, I will also contact the airline to have more information, and we will book the two tickets together. But just to plan things ahead, what kind of paperwork do you think we need to show? Obviously a parental authorization from both my wife and I, but do you know if it needs to be authentified, for instance by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or my embassy? Do I need any official translations? Is there any other documents, probably a copy of his birth certificates? Has anyone done that before and encountered any trouble? What do you think is the 'critical' moment: check in, departure check, arrival...? If there are eyebrows raised and questions asked, will it be by the Thai? The French? On going to France or when coming back to Thailand?

That's a lot of questions, but I would like the experience to be as smooth as possible for my friend, as he is already taking the trouble and the responsibility of travelling with my son. But I can understand that the situation may seem a bit unusual: a French man and a Thai woman, not married, travelling with a little "luuk khreung" who is not theirs.

Just to make things clear, my wife and I are legally married (in both countries), and we are both fully willing to let the boy go. He was born in Thailand and has two passports and two citizenships.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Although not to France, my wife and myself took her 7 year old niece on a trip a few years ago and I got a parental authorisiation in both English and Thai, with copies of the parents ID cards/passports.

got everything notarised in Thailand, in the end didnt need any of it, but wise to have it all the same.

I suspect if there are any issues it will be at the french end, I would do the above anbd maybe get a certifed letter from the grand parents as well just in case, giving address in France and any other ID type document reference

Soutpeel, thanks a lot. Where did you go to have the documents notarized in Thailand?

find the closest lawyers office to you, they can generally do it for you or will tell where to get it done, also in your case, seeing as its France they are going to, the documentation should be in French and Thai.

From what I understand the boy is French, so why don't you get in touch with the French Embassy : they do have friendly and knowledgeable staff

And it will be cheaper than a lawyer and you will get a straight answer

Edited by alyx

Yes I will, definitely, but it's not that easy to contact them these days, so I thought I would check with the airline first. I posted here because I was interested to know if someone else on TV had been in the same situation and could provide with useful advice.

Yes I will, definitely, but it's not that easy to contact them these days, so I thought I would check with the airline first. I posted here because I was interested to know if someone else on TV had been in the same situation and could provide with useful advice.

Airlines follow international regulations

As this is a French citizen's matter you have to call the French Embassy and they are not difficult to reach over the phone or, even better, if you are in Bkk get there in the morning (visa section is another matter)

As this is a French citizen's matter you have to call the French Embassy and they are not difficult to reach over the phone or, even better, if you are in Bkk get there in the morning (visa section is another matter)

The airline will not be bothered provided the child concerned has a valid ticket and a valid passport.

Questions if they are asked will be at immigration either at the Thai end or French end and will relate to fact that child is not related to either travelling parties, ie not the same surnames on the passports.

The key here is to have documentation which proves the child has parential permission to travel with the parties, not a question of whether the child is permitted into or out of a particular country as the child concerned has passports covering both countries and therefore has a right as citizen to enter or depart a particular country.

The airline will not be bothered provided the child concerned has a valid ticket and a valid passport.

Questions if they are asked will be at immigration either at the Thai end or French end and will relate to fact that child is not related to either travelling parties, ie not the same surnames on the passports.

The key here is to have documentation which proves the child has parential permission to travel with the parties, not a question of whether the child is permitted into or out of a particular country as the child concerned has passports covering both countries and therefore has a right as citizen to enter or depart a particular country.

We all agree on that