Wind Generator At Home

stevehaigh

hi, has anyone got experience with a wind turbine generator at home? are there any rules and regs about installing a wind turbine or your own land? i'm thinking about a 2kw system, about 3m dia blades, 12m or more high

thanks, steve

i was asking about if there are any rules about putting a wind turbine up, do i need to ask the orbator's office for permission or can i just install it.

i know electric is cheap but transformers are well over a million baht, i can buy a lot of solar, wind and battery gear for that

My objection to wind turbines is that they kill so much wildlife. Raptors in particular are unable to negotiate them. Microbats tend to splatter as well. Pity they weren't constructed with some mesh in front of them...

Why not go for it! How is power generated in Phuket anyway?

Then have an el cheapo gasoline/diesel/gas generator to do the top-up when the solar cells / wind mill is not producing enough electricity for the day. This way there would be some operating costs for the gasoline, but overall the cost of the system would be far less. Also in period of 5-10 years, there would be big savings as there are less batteries to be replaced.

actually i found an LPG powered 5.5kw generator here http://www.lpggen.com/ for 37000 baht

it uses the same gas bottles you use on your cooker so the running cost is ok, about 10 baht/unit

and yes, i would still need batteries but far less than a no generator system if i'm willing to accept the genny kicking in every hour or so to keep the batteries topped up

about the wind, here is some data for phuket, i realize different places on the island have different winds but at least this gives some idea

http://www.windfinder.com/windstats/windstatistic_phuket.htm

http://www.phuketwindsurfing.com/weather-report.asp

the phuket average of about 8 knots is 4m/s which is just slightly above the 3m/s point that most wind turbines start spinning but not producing much power

i would love to get the wind data statistics from those big wind turbines at leam promtheap

Edited by stevehaigh

The OP must be joking. :unsure:

What makes you think so? I have been thinking of that possibility myself.

Well, the OP said i'm thinking about a 2kw system, about 3m dia blades, 12m or more high in Phuket. :rolleyes:

Well, the OP said i'm thinking about a 2kw system, about 3m dia blades, 12m or more high in Phuket

If it's the height of the wind turbine that causes doubt as to getting planning permission etc, let me say that as a radio amateur in Thailand, I am legally allowed to put up an antenna tower that is 60 metres in height on my property, without the need for planning permission!!

So 12 metres seems rather low in comparison....

Simon

The OP must be joking. :unsure:

What makes you think so? I have been thinking of that possibility myself.

Well, the OP said i'm thinking about a 2kw system, about 3m dia blades, 12m or more high in Phuket. :rolleyes:

one has to take into consideration the OP's statement "transformer cost is one million Baht". shooting from the hip and without going into details i'd say "no way that power generated by a wind system is cheaper than THB 1mm." Simon mentioned an antenna for shortwave amateurs which is not comparable to a "wind system" tower and 3m Ø blades which has to withstand hundreds of times the forces an antenna has to take. building a proper structure for the system will already cost a fortune.

then there is the cost of the turbine, storing energy in DC and reconverting it into AC and a back-up conventional gas or gasoline powered generator... not to mention the maintenance cost of all systems.

my summary = a stillborn baby (no offence meant!) :jap:

I have a Better Generation Power predictor I'd happily let you borrow, It is a small turbine that you put where you think you may put a wind turbine generator and it logs the wind speed and solar power over a long period.

I have a Better Generation Power predictor I'd happily let you borrow, It is a small turbine that you put where you think you may put a wind turbine generator and it logs the wind speed and solar power over a long period.

cool thanks but i'm still weighing up the economics first as it looks like i can get a better deal on mains hookup than i was first told

check out the attached pdf, a complete 5kw system with wind, solar, controller, inverter and batteries for USD12,791 which is less than 400k baht

5KW Wind-Solar Power Systems Quotation - 2011.05.12.pdf

Edited by stevehaigh

I could go to an internet shop to check my emails but I prefer to spend quite a bit more to buy my own computer. If you want to have your own wind generator go for it. One thing to keep in mind when you choose "appropriate technology" is to first reduce your energy requirements. One example that is not well known but can cool a house in the tropics is the use of extruded polystyrene insulation on the outside of a concrete structure to take advantage of the constant temperature of the earth. There are so many tested and proven ways to cool and heat houses with little more than learning and applying very simple techniques.;)

cool thanks but i'm still weighing up the economics first as it looks like i can get a better deal on mains hookup than i was first told

check out the attached pdf, a complete 5kw system with wind, solar, controller, inverter and batteries for USD12,791 which is less than 400k baht

offer looks really good! but have you already figured out freight, import duties and setup? even a considerably more expensive connection to the mains would be preferable because of its much higher reliability, zero maintenance and/or spareparts. example: a 200Ah deep cycle battery will cost you in Thailand ~5,000 Baht, i.e. every 4-5 years 80,000 Baht for replacing batteries.

Now that we're talking about alternative energy sources....would love to hear from readers who use solar power to bring the electricity bill down. During the high tourist season the electricity bill for my resort is almost 9000 Baht per month. Would it be a good investment to go solar, considering the initial investment, and maintainance costs, and at the other hand the impact it would have on my electricity bill?

Am I correct in thinking solar would be a more realistic option than wind? Apart from costs/technical aspects I don't think the OrBorTor (local government) would be OK with people putting up wind generators in their backyard.

Now that we're talking about alternative energy sources....would love to hear from readers who use solar power to bring the electricity bill down. During the high tourist season the electricity bill for my resort is almost 9000 Baht per month. Would it be a good investment to go solar, considering the initial investment, and maintainance costs, and at the other hand the impact it would have on my electricity bill?

Am I correct in thinking solar would be a more realistic option than wind? Apart from costs/technical aspects I don't think the OrBorTor (local government) would be OK with people putting up wind generators in their backyard.

One thing you could do immediately would be to install solar water heaters. I built my first one in 1979 for $75. Never paid for hot water again. So so simple. "Solar energy comes in many forms. When Ronnie Raygun started his anti- appropriate technology (anti solar/wind/etc.) propaganda program he/they/republicans liked to lump all solar energy into a small category of photovoltaic cells. Did the world a great dis-service

it looks like we can get a mains hookup for a lot less than my original post but i'm still interested in solar to supplement daytime use, especially for the pool pump.

i'm thinking about a simpler system now with PV panels, inverter and pool pump, no batteries or anything. DC motor pool pump would be better if i can find one.

but for people who really are off the grid, the system i posted looks pretty good i think.

transport from china will be very cheap on that, probably about $50, there is no import duty from china (ASEAN free trade agreement) but there will be a few thousand bath in customs clearance fees and tee money

transport from china will be very cheap on that, probably about $50, there is no import duty from china (ASEAN free trade agreement) but there will be a few thousand bath in customs clearance fees and tee money

You sure about that? China isn't a member of ASEAN.

Whilst China is not a member of ASEAN they do have a free trade agreement as of, i think early last year...the agreement covers 90+ % of goods.

Whilst China is not a member of ASEAN they do have a free trade agreement as of, i think early last year...the agreement covers 90+ % of goods.

One thing you could do immediately would be to install solar water heaters. I built my first one in 1979 for $75. Never paid for hot water again. So so simple.

Hi Bunta,

What did your self built water heater look like? I might be interested in copying your design.

Or are there any ready made solar water heaters for sale in Phuket? I have a fairly large flat roof, which could be an ideal place for installing one.

One thing you could do immediately would be to install solar water heaters. I built my first one in 1979 for $75. Never paid for hot water again. So so simple.

Hi Bunta,

What did your self built water heater look like? I might be interested in copying your design.

Or are there any ready made solar water heaters for sale in Phuket? I have a fairly large flat roof, which could be an ideal place for installing one.

I will send you a PM.