Two Out Of Three National Id Database Servers Down, Crisis Imminent

george

Who is surprised. Just look at how they ISP's mismanage everything. And of course nobody wants to lose face and hire any foreigners to fix the problems.

Maybe they need to enforce a rule of no halo or warcraft games during work hours.

Just don't install Windows servers, problem solved.

You sound real smart.. but world of warcraft runs on linux too. So not installing windows does not solve your problem.

Not if you don't install a window interface - and any sys admin worth his salt don't need that toy to manage a Linux server.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We don't need no stinkin' clusters," he said, walking away and whistiling over Walrus lyrics, I am the eggman, I am the walrus....

I like. You funny man mista.

and they want to build a nuclear power station here.......

:D

heard at thai nuclear power plant :

"What are those red lights blinking?"

"Ah those. mai ben rai, its just the cooling system on reactor 1 and 2 that is broken. But dont worry, reactor 3's is still working"

This is very convienient for the present government as this means that anyone who does not have their Thai id card to present for voting purpose can have a temporary "id card" made at the polling stations with "Photo" optional.

This means that a Thai can go to a polling station away from where they live and normally they have areas for people to vote who are not at their home town/village and can ask for a temporary piece of yellow paper to vote and then go out and eat and come back to vote again.

It aso means that the electorial votes cannot be counted fairly and can be delayed.

By law, polls must be held between 45 and 60 days after house dissolution. So if the count is delayed past the 45 to 60 day period the current government can be reinstated.

I do not need to tell anyone here what is on the plate now.

Many have said that Thaksin is corrupt and that the Abhisit government is much better however this is clear that he beats Thaksin on this one 110%

Abhisit has seemed a little over confident to me, almost cocky in response to questions if he was concerned about the outcome of the election. He's always quoted as saying, "I'm very confident we'll win." LOL Now we know why. Rigged from top to bottom. Makes Thaksin look like a piker. Unfortunately, the Thai Visa board members are the only one's (On either side of the political issue) who probably think this is exceedingly strange. I doubt this will get much air play or attention in the print media.

National? <deleted>? Haven't they heard of clusters and san's? I'd be happy to install some proper systems for them.

I thought Clusters were bombs and San's was a Japanese Honorific?:unsure:

The real question is what has gone so badly wrong with the first two servers that they can't be fixed...

When there's proper hardware involved (from Sun, HP, IBM, etc.) - not Linux boxes, or at least not Linux boxes without multiple Xeons / Opterons, the vendor can swap out motherboards readily enough, so any hardware problem can be sorted.

I do know of a case of a RAID array where 2 disks went at the same time (actually more common than you'd think as the hardware was bought at the same time, and all the disks are the same size from the same manufacturer, and often from the same production batch...), so that the company had to revert to a backup. But even there, the thing was working again the following morning as the failed disks had been replaced with new ones. (and they've apparently got a whole server still online, so no issues with data being lost...)

Whatever part or parts are broken should be replaceable in a matter of hours (maybe a day or two if they have to get something Fedex'd in, or need a technician from the manufacturer to fly in to do the work... - i.e. I could possibly understand servers being down for an extended period if the airport was closed again, but there's no valid excuse at the moment).

Actually - just realised - the problem is probably that they need a technician from the hardware vendor to fly in and fix it, but he's waiting on the paperwork so that he can get his B visa and then his work permit.

(All for the 20 minutes of work that he has to do before flying out of the country again).

How <deleted> hard is it to replace a server?

I swear, the Thais must have contracted out their IT to my employer. My company has had a massive problem for the past 3 months with its servers. Maybe they need to enforce a rule of no halo or warcraft games during work hours.

Maybe if they played more Halo and warcraft, they would have invested in better equipment and wouldn't be having this problem.

I swear, the Thais must have contracted out their IT to my employer. My company has had a massive problem for the past 3 months with its servers. Maybe they need to enforce a rule of no halo or warcraft games during work hours.

I'm sure they're not playing games on them. Can't think of any that are compatable with Windows 3.11.

WIN 3.1 :lol: nice one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like many here in Thailand I still have the original DOS 6.22 and Windows/3.1, WfW3.11 in my archive. Call me for information to get a 'legal' copy :)

Two out of three National ID database servers down

Is there any independent confirmation of this from a recognized news source?

One besides the blogger entry that is the basis for the OP?

Well, according to the blogger who used to be a reporter for the database section of the other paper;

A report in ThaiPost (not available online) quoted by Manager here (time 23:00) said that BORA has lost two of its three database servers and that if the last one failed, it would have severe consequences for passports, police and the elections

Here's wiki for what its worth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Post

Doesn't seem to be on Thaksins payroll...............:whistling:

What a load of B--- S--- You Knows i know why the servers have gone down.

They've probably been broken for months, if my own experience is anything to go by.

That is a fact as I know some Thai lady who had to renew her ID-card about 2 months ago and at that time she got a temporary paper for several weeks as they couldn't issue her a new card.

National? <deleted>? Haven't they heard of clusters and san's? I'd be happy to install some proper systems for them.

obviously that is on the list of jobs Foreigners are not allowed to do.

Many have said that Thaksin is corrupt and that the Abhisit government is much better however this is clear that he beats Thaksin on this one 110%

and how do you know Thaksin wasnt behind it? He has been two steps ahead of Abhisit in the propaganda game since the beginning.

Does this include immigration,is their system also linked to this?If so that could mean long queues at immigration offices and the airport couldn't it?Imagine even a quarter of stuff having to be processed manually here...the mind boggles!!

is it a set-up durin' the pre-election period?

don't tell me this means "the election on July3 will be postponed then due to the 2 servers down."

the server things are too new?

haha,,, my oh my, severe consequences for passports, police and the elections.

Two out of three National ID database servers down

Is there any independent confirmation of this from a recognized news source?

One besides the blogger entry that is the basis for the OP?

Well, according to the blogger who used to be a reporter for the database section of the other paper;

A report in ThaiPost (not available online) quoted by Manager here (time 23:00) said that BORA has lost two of its three database servers and that if the last one failed, it would have severe consequences for passports, police and the elections

So, that's a no then.

Only the blog entry of a laid-off worker.

"not available" on ThaiPost and the Manager link reveals:

notfound.png

How convenient for nothing to be working as we near election time. I could see something coming, but this one surprised me.

Nothing surprises me any more. This a great and perfect timing I think. What excuse they will come up next?

Never get any outside help either they could stumble on all those things we should never be able to know.

I used to be disgusted.....Now I'm just amused.

TIT

But since their wings have got rusted,

you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain,

that's when I knew that I could not refuse.

And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Please send me some of what you're on . . . :rolleyes:

I am embarrassed for the Thais. They are the butt of a million jokes, and they all stem from real events.

I have three cats. Whenever they're embarrassed about something they immediately sit down and begin furiously licking their as*es - really busy.

They are Thai cats . . . :rolleyes:

R

post-4665-0-10277300-1305053014_thumb.jp

Edited by robsamui

That's what this country gets when they employ 3 Dong-A brand Pentium 4 desktops running "Windows 97 server". No doubt Mr. Somchai IT had his cousin's business provide the server solution...

...oh yes.... submarines and nuclear power plants. Good point. Most of these politicians can hardly run a somtam stand without corruption...

I'm sure they're not playing games on them. Can't think of any that are compatable with Windows 3.11.

WOW! Things sure have changed since I've been gone. When did they get the Windows 3.11 upgrade?

Later...

Don