Rubber Trees

12 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

100 rai?

100 hectares?

100 acres?

20 rai?

What is it?

I'm such a muppet sorry!! It is indeed 100 rai so about 20 hectares, I got confused what was larger. The family has 140 rai total.... we already have a few rubber trees but weren't well maintained. It's probably money down the drain but who knows, we thought we'd try to seriously maintain 100 rai of rubber trees. I have a lot of info from here and around the internet about spacing and costs and what seedlings and fertiliser costs etc.... just got to get it all in one place.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

I'm such a muppet sorry!! It is indeed 100 rai so about 20 hectares, I got confused what was larger. The family has 140 rai total.... we already have a few rubber trees but weren't well maintained. It's probably money down the drain but who knows, we thought we'd try to seriously maintain 100 rai of rubber trees. I have a lot of info from here and around the internet about spacing and costs and what seedlings and fertiliser costs etc.... just got to get it all in one place.

Best thing to do is read this thread from page 1 and the rubber tree thread over on TD forum. Skip the un interesting bits and note down all the interesting parts. It's all in there.

100 rai = 2 x 40 bags of fertilizer per year for the first 5-6 years. 80 bags x 900 baht ish per annum. Ideally this amount forever....

Tractor ploughing  @ approx. 2-300 baht per rai 3 times a year for the first 2 years.

Thereafter grass cutting with said tractor AND a man (men) with strimmer(s) forever.

Or buy your own tractor and grass cutter.

There's a start.... And it's only a start. Fencing off, gates, storage hut, accommodation hut, purchase of 7500 saplings, labour to plant.

The biggest outlay is the land, especially at today's prices. You appear already to have this, so there is advantage no. 1.

I have 64 rai of trees producing rubber, my cheapest plot of land was 10k per rai, the dearest 40k per rai, all within 2 years of each other. A long time ago. Inc purchase of tractors, land, fencing, buildings, annual overheads, everything, after 13 years it stands me in at in excess of 3.5 mil.

• Like 1

Best thing to do is read this thread from page 1 and the rubber tree thread over on TD forum. Skip the un interesting bits and note down all the interesting parts. It's all in there.
100 rai = 2 x 40 bags of fertilizer per year for the first 5-6 years. 80 bags x 900 baht ish per annum. Ideally this amount forever....
Tractor ploughing  @ approx. 2-300 baht per rai 3 times a year for the first 2 years.
Thereafter grass cutting with said tractor AND a man (men) with strimmer(s) forever.
Or buy your own tractor and grass cutter.
There's a start.... And it's only a start. Fencing off, gates, storage hut, accommodation hut, purchase of 7500 saplings, labour to plant.
The biggest outlay is the land, especially at today's prices. You appear already to have this, so there is advantage no. 1.
I have 64 rai of trees producing rubber, my cheapest plot of land was 10k per rai, the dearest 40k per rai, all within 2 years of each other. A long time ago. Inc purchase of tractors, land, fencing, buildings, annual overheads, everything, after 13 years it stands me in at in excess of 3.5 mil.

Thanks! How about tapping costs? We have a family living on our land doing the other crops... They take 35/65 I think. I hope you are covering the costs and making money.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:32 AM, reenatinnakor said:

Thanks! How about tapping costs? We have a family living on our land doing the other crops... They take 35/65 I think. I hope you are covering the costs and making money.

60/40.

We have been making money, and more importantly, a profit, from the first season we started tapping, to this season, our 7th season of tapping.

1 hour ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

Ok thanks, on that basis if I sell @ 150K/rai will mean double my money in 5 years.

Good luck mate. We bought 6 rai from next door 4 years ago at 60k per rai.

He just sold more last year at 150k per rai. Land here is rocketing in value.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2017 at 2:47 PM, cobbler said:

Just my shitty opinion on this. After dealing in rubber trees for over 7 years. Yes you can make money with rubber trees. However there are many things you can make more money on than rubber trees. Plant something with less labor content and income coming in within the 1st year. Why outlay all that money and time. Then sit back and wait another 5 to 7 years to make what? . Its all lost money for the 1st at least 7 years. Cashflow crops will make you money from 45 days or 4months onwards. Depending on what you crop.

Rubber is something u need to really want to do.

Given my time again i wouldve looked around more 1st.

Weve just bought land in Sukhothai area. With the crossroads to the 7 asian nations being just up the road there is money to be made in many fruit and veg . However u need water. If you have 364 day a year water. World is your oyster.

I even know a guy down the road growing napier grass,cutting it 5 times a year,baling it and selling it. 1st cut is after about 70 days. So many ways to make money farming in Thailand. 100 rai is a lot. U can and will make a lot of money from 100 rai if its done correctly.

1st year of cutting rubber trees youll be lucky to keep a worker as it takes time/years,up to 10 for rubber to reach maximum flow. EG a tap line of 6 inches on a 6 ,7 year old tree is not going to give as much as a tap line of 12 inches on a 25 year old tree.

During 1st year or 3 they will probably want 50/50% and u pay the pui/fertilizers. If u not agree,expect they will walk or steal from u as they cant survive on the pissy money theyll be making for working half the night and half the next day.

Another issue is workers. Do they know what they r doing? If not theyll butcher even kill your trees. 4AM when they r working and you r sleeping ,r they stealing from you?

What area are you from? If you have a dry of 4 months with no rain dont expect much rubber during this time. No water going into the tree ,no rubber coming out. Its simple as that.

Another bit of advice, dont believe everything u r told. I think most on this thread r fairly correct on figures. Some will say anything just to show off. Its too late 7 years and millions of bart later to get that money back if they were lieing.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Would you do it again mate knowing then what you know now?

What did you broadacre farm back home before coming here.?

Trees.

Edited by farmerjo

19 hours ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

Ok thanks, on that basis if I sell @ 150K/rai will mean double my money in 5 years.

Therefore, on that basis i'd hang onto it another 5 years and double your money again and sell it for 300k/rai..

Land, any type of land aint ever going down. Shit, 150k/rai round here gets you Sor Por Kor rice paddy if it's next to an asphalt road...

• Like 2

Therefore, on that basis i'd hang onto it another 5 years and double your money again and sell it for 300k/rai..
Land, any type of land aint ever going down. Shit, 150k/rai round here gets you Sor Por Kor rice paddy if it's next to an asphalt road...

Stateing the obvious as u guys all know. Its worth what somebodys willing to pay for it. We just bought 10 rai just outside kirrimaat, 20 minutes casual drive ,directly south of Sukhothai. On black road lovely rice paddy .good water canal on road. 80k bart per rai. Everybody said 100k per rai wouldve been a fair price for it.
Will buy more after selling rubber farms down in bangsaphan. So excited met some farang up there a few years ago and really enjoyed our time up there. So different world being where nobody "NOBODY " Speaks english. Only my wife, so lucky weve got great marriage.
Anyway just thought ide throw it in there for u guys.
Cheers cobbler

Stateing the obvious as u guys all know. Its worth what somebodys willing to pay for it. We just bought 10 rai just outside kirrimaat, 20 minutes casual drive ,directly south of Sukhothai. On black road lovely rice paddy .good water canal on road. 80k bart per rai. Everybody said 100k per rai wouldve been a fair price for it.
Will buy more after selling rubber farms down in bangsaphan. So excited met some farang up there a few years ago and really enjoyed our time up there. So different world being where nobody "NOBODY " Speaks english. Only my wife, so lucky weve got great marriage.
Cheers cobbler

• Like 1

Cheers cobbler

• Like 1

I have read about 10-12 pages here and really don't want to go on reading the remaining 232 pages as it covers everything and spread over the amount of many many pagers, suffice to say, I will ask the question and hopefully receive a straight up answer from someone willing to assist, if not, C'est la vie as the French saying goes.

Would it be fair to say if one had 1,000 rubber trees ready to be cut to produce the substance used for the production in rubber, produce:

1) Working on 1.0kg of it per tree, per month over say 12 months, e.g. 1,000 trees x 1.0kg per month per tree x 12 months = 12,000 kg's of the substance per year @ say 25 baht per kg = 300,000 baht per year, over 12 months = 25,000 baht per month gross

I am aware of the costs to plant and grow the trees up to the 7 year "normal period" and what the tappers would normally get paid once they commence, i.e. 40%-50% depending on set up, i.e. fertiliser costs etc etc and the variation of the market prices per kg, however just want to hear based on peoples recent experiences on price and weight per tree per month, then I can work out the rough estimate on 1,000 trees that one could expect to receive per month gross

The reason I am asking is that in discussions with a few Thai's and Farangs there is a huge variance, i.e. the Thai's are saying they are getting more out of the trees then the Farangs which makes me wonder, suffice to say I have heard some Farangs say that they are receiving about 5kg per tree per year with the Thais saying they get double that, and these are based on the same aged trees, in the same areas, so always good to know who is puling who's leg.

Appreciate the feedback in advance.

Interesting thread. I guess it all depends as with pretty much everything else in life. But what we can be sure of is that it's not a short term investment.... you are in it for a very long time if not for life! And the ROI doesn't make sense.... probably 15 years to get your money back and be in profit.... Or 10 years if you buy land producing rubber already. But then if it was making money then why would someone sell? Durr... Because probably rubber can't trees can't make money or they can't cover the costs every year. Like cobbler keeps saying if you have a few m baht to spend, there are many ways to make money from farming and get an ROI in a short time.

Anyway I was asking for a spreadsheet so I did one myself....it's very raw and basic, but feel free to download and modify.

Assumptions:    
76 trees per Rai, 3 metres between trees and 7 metres between rows    

Fertiliser - One 50 kilo bag per Rai twice a year    

290 kg/rai/year based on Thai Agriculture Ministry figures   

Cost thb per tree for 5 years    100
Fertiliser 2 bags per rai / year    2,000
Labour and Equip per year per rai    2,600
Purchase Price Land per Rai    50,000
Seedling Costs    30
Yield in kg per rai    290
Price thb per kg    60
Trees per rai    76
Grazing and Planting Costs per Rai    2,000
THB / USD Exchange rate    33

Based on these assumptions....if you need to purchase land... 50 rai would be 3800 trees and cost you an initial outlay of 2.7m thb and 7 year total accumulated cost would be 4.3m thb and you wouldn't break even until year 15!! Anyway.... this is just a rough guess, so don't be a keyboard warrior back. Although opinions very welcome.

Off course if you did have 50 rai of land already and didn't need to buy it then your initial cost would just be 240k thb and 7 year accumulated cost would just be 1.8m thb and you would break even by year 10...just 3 years after the trees start to produce.

You can download the spreadsheet here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2o86aipqf4ik5ov/rubber tree costs.xlsx?dl=0

Edited by reenatinnakor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

It aint 12 months. Depending on where the trees are, and how old, can be anywhere from 8-9-10 months tapping. Then take into consideration heavy rainy season, where you can have as little as 4-5 taps a fortnight (should be 9-10), then take into account, where in the country, ie up north and the northern parts of the NE, where we get a proper proper cool season, and the latex flows like a tap has been switched on in late Nov, Dec and Jan.

Most plantation owners I know, Thai and Ferang - nobody ever measures an output based on per tree.

1000 normal good  trees are not going to produce 12000 kgs in one cutting season.

How long is a piece of string?

That didn't really answer my question.

What I provided were examples, i.e. I am aware that the season can be from 9 to 12 months depending on weather conditions etc etc

From my discussions with owners of rubber trees, that is the information I was provided, i.e. per tree, apologies if we are not in your league of having tens of thousand of trees er Rai to work it out on a per Rai basis. 

A string is pretty long, hence the reason I was asking the question which you couldn't answer

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

That didn't really answer my question.

What I provided were examples, i.e. I am aware that the season can be from 9 to 12 months depending on weather conditions etc etc

From my discussions with owners of rubber trees, that is the information I was provided, i.e. per tree, apologies if we are not in your league of having tens of thousand of trees er Rai to work it out on a per Rai basis. 

A string is pretty long, hence the reason I was asking the question which you couldn't answer

That's a bit rough on a guy who keeps the thread running. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

Interesting thread. I guess it all depends as with pretty much everything else in life. But what we can be sure of is that it's not a short term investment.... you are in it for a very long time if not for life! And the ROI doesn't make sense.... probably 15 years to get your money back and be in profit.... Or 10 years if you buy land producing rubber already. But then if it was making money then why would someone sell? Durr... Because probably rubber can't trees can't make money or they can't cover the costs every year. Like cobbler keeps saying if you have a few m baht to spend, there are many ways to make money from farming and get an ROI in a short time.

Anyway I was asking for a spreadsheet so I did one myself....it's very raw and basic, but feel free to download and modify.

Assumptions:    
76 trees per Rai, 3 metres between trees and 7 metres between rows    

Fertiliser - One 50 kilo bag per Rai twice a year    

290 kg/rai/year based on Thai Agriculture Ministry figures   

Cost thb per tree for 5 years    100
Fertiliser 2 bags per rai / year    2,000
Labour and Equip per year per rai    2,600
Purchase Price Land per Rai    50,000
Seedling Costs    30
Yield in kg per rai    290
Price thb per kg    60
Trees per rai    76
Grazing and Planting Costs per Rai    2,000
THB / USD Exchange rate    33

Based on these assumptions....if you need to purchase land... 50 rai would be 3800 trees and cost you an initial outlay of 2.7m thb and 7 year total accumulated cost would be 4.3m thb and you wouldn't break even until year 15!! Anyway.... this is just a rough guess, so don't be a keyboard warrior back. Although opinions very welcome.

Off course if you did have 50 rai of land already and didn't need to buy it then your initial cost would just be 240k thb and 7 year accumulated cost would just be 1.8m thb and you would break even by year 10...just 3 years after the trees start to produce.

You can download the spreadsheet here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2o86aipqf4ik5ov/rubber tree costs.xlsx?dl=0

Thanks for your reply.

I have no intention of ever investing in Thailand, my money is and always will remain in Australia as I have tax free investments which also produce good capital gains, again, tax free, and can be moved very quickly, as opposed to waiting for weather conditions, government interference, land ownership restrictions, etc etc. 

The only reason I asked what 1,000 trees could produce on a monthly basis (gross) was for pure knowledge purposes. 

I still haven't receive a clear answer, maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, so to speak ?

1 minute ago, farmerjo said:

That's a bit rough on a guy who keeps the thread running. 

I don't intend it to come across as being rough, and as usual appreciate everyone's comments and feedback on TVF, I have also contributed much on TVF.

What I suppose I am am asking, is a question that may be difficult for too many to answer, i.e. knowing its not a cut and dry question, but surely a rough guide as to what 1,000 trees should be able to produce in kg per month or baht per month shouldn't be rocket science ?

I hope I don;t get anyone's noses out of joint for asking what I see to be a simple question, really 555

18 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't intend it to come across as being rough, and as usual appreciate everyone's comments and feedback on TVF, I have also contributed much on TVF.

What I suppose I am am asking, is a question that may be difficult for too many to answer, i.e. knowing its not a cut and dry question, but surely a rough guide as to what 1,000 trees should be able to produce in kg per month or baht per month shouldn't be rocket science ?

I hope I don;t get anyone's noses out of joint for asking what I see to be a simple question, really 555

According to the interwebs and Thai Agriculture ministry.... yield in kg per rai per year is 290kg and one rai is about 76 trees....so 1000/76 = 13.1 x 290 = 3815kg from 1000 trees. At a high end price of 60thb per kg = 229k thb revenue from 1000 trees per year. Low end 20thb per kg so 76k thb per rai per year. And many people on the internet are saying ballpark about 10k thb per rai per year, so that's similar to the lower end price here.... excluding costs.

Hope that helps!

Edited by reenatinnakor
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

According to the interwebs and Thai Agriculture ministry.... yield in kg per rai per year is 290kg and one rai is about 76 trees....so 1000/76 = 13.1 x 290 = 3815kg from 1000 trees. At a high end price of 60thb per kg = 229k thb revenue from 1000 trees per year. Low end 20thb per kg so 76k thb per rai per year. And many people on the internet are saying ballpark about 10k thb per rai per year, so that's similar to the lower end price here.... excluding costs.

Hope that helps!

That's perfect, thanks very much for taking the time to provide me with your opinion which is what I asked for, which is roughly about the same as what I was told by the Farangs, i.e. about 5kg per tree, and based on the figures you have provided me with, it works out at about 3.8kg a tree, give or take.

So the figure of around 10,000 baht per month gross at the current low baht price per kg of cup rubber is more realistic. Which tells me that the Thai's that I spoke with are spinning the yarn once again, and the Farangs that I spoke to is more truthful, i.e. the Thai's telling me that for every 1,000 trees they were getting between 20,000 and 30,000 gross baht per month for cup rubber, which I felt was high with the current rate being paid per kg, and the Farangs stating more like 10,000 baht gross if your lucky.

Farangs 1 - Thai's 0

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

That's perfect, thanks very much for taking the time to provide me with your opinion which is what I asked for, which is roughly about the same as what I was told by the Farangs, i.e. about 5kg per tree, and based on the figures you have provided me with, it works out at about 3.8kg a tree, give or take.

So the figure of around 10,000 baht per month gross at the current low baht price per kg of cup rubber is more realistic. Which tells me that the Thai's that I spoke with are spinning the yarn once again, and the Farangs that I spoke to is more truthful, i.e. the Thai's telling me that for every 1,000 trees they were getting between 20,000 and 30,000 gross baht per month for cup rubber, which I felt was high with the current rate being paid per kg, and the Farangs stating more like 10,000 baht gross if your lucky.

Farangs 1 - Thai's 0

If you're talking to Thais who tap their own rubber versus farang who employ tappers on a 50/50 split then the figures from the Thai guys may well be double that of the farang guys, income-wise.

Just a thought. If you asked the Thais how much cup they were producing a year kg you may get similar figures.

• Like 1