Rubber Trees

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys. Just starting to open my trees. At the moment, I only have my personal truck to transport the rubber from the farm to auction. Does anyone know of anything that will help protect the truck bed from the acid? My worker tells me there is a spray of sorts that will help , but he couldn’t give me any more info. Thanks.

I would not trust anything Bowwow. Once it gets under the tray liner, that it. Unless you don't have one. You will have no idea until your car is rooted.

We use a "saleng", sidecar on one bike. It can carry 200kg no probs. For the bigger farm, we use the buyers old bangabout car, no charge. That one takes 420kg a time. Sidecar itself costs 4000 to 6500, which is what we paid for heavy duty. Fitted, with brand new wheel and tyre. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bowwow said:

Hi Guys. Just starting to open my trees. At the moment, I only have my personal truck to transport the rubber from the farm to auction. Does anyone know of anything that will help protect the truck bed from the acid? My worker tells me there is a spray of sorts that will help , but he couldn’t give me any more info. Thanks.

Cup i presume, rather than sheet?

Quality sacks and ty wraps we use. Very little leakage.

Plenty of people deliver in pick up trucks.

Concur with Goanna, don't have a plastic liner. Good rinse and wash on return.

We personally have an E10 for the farm and delivery, 14 hp Kubota single diesel, no doors, windows, bonnet.

Ask your missus - she'll know, i doubt google will do it. Available anywhere between 70k to 250k.

1417355811_june-nov2014101.thumb.JPG.93f6070dfadb1835f609acdbc8af4467.JPG20160118_160356.thumb.jpg.9afa04a90e203c9acb63dc3877ca2199.jpg

• Like 1

Sold cup at auction yesterday, 22.70 baht per kg. Plenty of buyers as usual.

Was expecting a better price, barrel of oil is at it's highest price in 4 years, and the GRM website was quoting good data out of Shanghai with the TOCOM prices the highest in a month.

Friend of mine had a couple of Thai neighbors go on holiday to China, the area where they have rubber plantations, they came back, saying the Chinese plantation owners are getting 35-40 baht per kg.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our co-op auctions for cup are fortnightly. The same people running it have a sheet auction monthly on the same property.

Sheet has been averaging around 48 baht per kg this season at this auction. Two days ago the latest sheet auction was 38 baht per kg, a 10 baht drop in price equating to nearly 20% drop in a month, from one sale to the next.

FYI...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sold cup at auction yesterday, 19.83 baht per kg.

Only 5 bidders, more than likely due to public offices & banks closed yesterday.

The regular winners have access to the Kasikorn Bank on closed days, the manager will open up round the back and hand them the 25 mil or whatever they want to borrow.

So have had to go to a 55-45% split.

Another point worth mentioning, we have been having a spate of cup thefts locally. Fortunately not us yet. Junkies or kids on mopeds with sidecars, diving into a plantation, filling up 1-2-3 sacks (50-150 kgs) and leaving sharpish, to sell locally. Happens about 2-3-4 days before a sale, ie all cups are chokka full.

This has not happened since prices were 60 baht per kg for cup many years ago, which i understood, but thieving @ 20 baht per kg? Desperate times. Desperate people. Or as one of my tappers said - lazy c##ts.

A lot of tappers now sleeping in tents etc on the land prior to a sale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wrapped up last month, see what the price does but not re-starting until next season at the earliest. We went 50/50 a while back. Going to rest the trees and have a bloody good clear out. The chicken farm is keeping us busy.

• Like 2

Wrapped up last month, see what the price does but not re-starting until next season at the earliest. We went 50/50 a while back. Going to rest the trees and have a bloody good clear out. The chicken farm is keeping us busy.

16 hours ago, grollies said:

Unfortunate.

As you know, 'tis high season now until end of January = double output.

If i was going to let the trees go dormant for a few months i'd do it through the full rainy season, where tapping is inconsistent, temperatures are higher and production way lower.

20 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Unfortunate.

As you know, 'tis high season now until end of January = double output.

If i was going to let the trees go dormant for a few months i'd do it through the full rainy season, where tapping is inconsistent, temperatures are higher and production way lower.

You are right of course. We'll maybe skip a full season at our size and the low price. We are only a quarter your size. Even the tappers have had enough. They used to tap two plots, ours and one down the road.

We built a broiler farm this year so we've not paid much attention to the rubber and the tappers haven't cleared the trees so the place is a bit overgrown. I'll deal with it before the start of the next rainy season.

Be interesting to see what happens to the prices over the next few months, the election, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grollies said:

You are right of course. We'll maybe skip a full season at our size and the low price. We are only a quarter your size. Even the tappers have had enough. They used to tap two plots, ours and one down the road.

We built a broiler farm this year so we've not paid much attention to the rubber and the tappers haven't cleared the trees so the place is a bit overgrown. I'll deal with it before the start of the next rainy season.

Be interesting to see what happens to the prices over the next few months, the election, etc.

grollies,how goes it with the chickens, must have done a cycle or 2 by now?

on the rubber front, in the wifes village a couple of families have plantations, no more than 30/40 rai each, have not even seen a cup attached to the trees this year, trees are plus 15 years old. wifes friend has a small plot, 10/15ish rai mostly cuts herself (she is a hard worker type) says its better then no money, sells at the local aution. 

the last rubber plot "we" sold some 8 ish years ago have never beened opened, i drive past every year or so, the trees have to be 16/17 years old..... 

surprised that this year have not heard/seen (on tv) much from the southern rubber farmers, would have thought they would not be happy with the price?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

grollies,how goes it with the chickens, must have done a cycle or 2 by now?

on the rubber front, in the wifes village a couple of families have plantations, no more than 30/40 rai each, have not even seen a cup attached to the trees this year, trees are plus 15 years old. wifes friend has a small plot, 10/15ish rai mostly cuts herself (she is a hard worker type) says its better then no money, sells at the local aution. 

the last rubber plot "we" sold some 8 ish years ago have never beened opened, i drive past every year or so, the trees have to be 16/17 years old..... 

surprised that this year have not heard/seen (on tv) much from the southern rubber farmers, would have thought they would not be happy with the price?

Most are still tapping here, one or two plots cups up but if it's your only income....

We're on our first cycle with the chickens. Perrmissions seemed to take forever but that gave us chance to punch out all the little jobs. Touching loads of wood the chickens are doing well, hitting target weights, mortality low 0.5% autofeed we got our head round, just trying to figure out the climate control system. At the end of the day you just got to watch them and adjust accordingly. Thanks for asking, big learning curve but hopefully worth the investment. Just need to get the rubber sorted.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, grollies said:

Most are still tapping here, one or two plots cups up but if it's your only income....

We're on our first cycle with the chickens. Perrmissions seemed to take forever but that gave us chance to punch out all the little jobs. Touching loads of wood the chickens are doing well, hitting target weights, mortality low 0.5% autofeed we got our head round, just trying to figure out the climate control system. At the end of the day you just got to watch them and adjust accordingly. Thanks for asking, big learning curve but hopefully worth the investment. Just need to get the rubber sorted.

good that the chicken farm is up and running, good timing wise, as like you say you can get a feel for the farm set up before the lovely march/april heat kicks in.... when the wife started the contract pig farm it took them a good six month of full production to get things moving in the right direction, still to this day (7 years later) they change the way they do things or timings of this or that.... all the best with it all.

• Thanks 1

for sure there is good money being made at every stage of the buying/selling chain, was reading something the other wk about one of the online (asian)companies/platforms setting up a area/app in the site for farmers to be able to retail there products for them selfs cutting out all the middle men....
got a fella coming over in the next few days that is heavy into farming, the wife thinks he farms in the many 1000,s of rai, alot of it rubber and cane. he buys most of the poo that the pigs make, 400 bags this time, he has small to large lorries out working most weeks picking up poo, money does not seem to be issue.... at first i thought he was turning it into pellets but some of the guys that drive the lorries says he just puts it straight onto the land. he has been a very valued customer for many years now to the wifes enterprise...
Do you know the name of this app/platform?
Thanks