Electricity Bills Constantly Rising !

Hi all,

Hope that somebody may be able to help or advise with this. 3 years ago our electric bill came in at around 1300 baht a month for the 1st year. Now 3 years later it has gradually risen to over 4300 baht a month. This is getting ridiculous. Nothing has changed at the house, there is no aircon system, 1 fridge, a couple of fans, normal amount of lights with energy saving bulbs etc etc.

We have asked the electric company to come and check our line going into the house and see if anyone is siphoning off power from our line but they just shrug their shoulders and offer no explanation. We have asked them to move the meter from the pole at the begining of the soi to the house but they say "cannot move sorry too far " . We have had a couple of electricians (Thai) to come and test the electrics to see if they can find out whats happening to no avail.

Has anybody else had a similar problem with their electric bill and if so how did you resolve this matter? Any sound, helpful advice or recommendations very much appreciated.

Cheers

Turn off everything in your house and have a look and see if the meter is still turning.

Then throw the main switch if you have one and check again.

I once had a worker camp shack tap into my garden lights with nails and twisted wire !! :lol:

Hope this helps

You're bill should be no more than 1k Baht a month unless you're running 20 fans or more crucially aircon which will easily triple the bill.

Sounds like you're being taken for a ride if ya ask me! :bah: or from your landlord point of view...:lol:

Turn off everything in your house and have a look and see if the meter is still turning.

I once had a worker camp shack tap into my garden lights with nails and twisted wire !! :lol:

Hope this helps

Just tried this ..turned everything off and the meter stopped !! Maybe you know a good Farang electrician who could come and check out the wiring and maybe test the appliances to see whats eating so much power?

my first thought was someone stealing your juice but since you said the meter stopped it begs the question, do you get your electric bill straight from the source or does it take a detour through your landlords bank account first?

If you need a decent guy (thai from bkk originally) let me knw.

he is an engineer based in samui and i have used him a lot.

Not the normal types..

Nirvana

Hope this helps

Just tried this ..turned everything off and the meter stopped !! Maybe you know a good Farang electrician who could come and check out the wiring and maybe test the appliances to see whats eating so much power?

Hope this helps

Try Checking again at night when someone is more likely to be using lights or cooking .

(Amusing you rent)

Care to elaborate on this comment please?

i'm assuming he meant assuming, because if i assume he meant amusing then he's probably one of those rich elitists mocking the peasantry and that's not amusing.

(Amusing you rent)

Care to elaborate on this comment please?

i'm assuming he meant assuming, because if i assume he meant amusing then he's probably one of those rich elitists mocking the peasantry and that's not amusing.

Assuming the same. Not that I like to assume anything mind. Yet its hard not to draw that conclusion.

Mind you I know people who own properties here and choose to rent so its not necessarily an indicator of poverty. More like common sense.

Do you pay the bill directly or does the landlord charge per unit?

(Amusing you rent)

Do i assume cthat you, like myself, was stupid enough to buy here. I'm taking the "amusing" to be irony. ;)

I was always told that to "assume" makes an ASS out of U and ME.

:sorry::offtopic:

For sure - check your unit readings every day. This happened to me once - had a short circuit and the house was putting electricity into the ground (or something like that).

Do you pay your landlord for electric, or do you pay direct to the government?

I will PM a number to you

Hope this helps

You have some sort of problem with the meter. Call the company again to check it. Don't pay the bill until they check it. :)

The meter that is.

Edited by Semper

My cost per unit in Phuket, long term lease, Bht5.0, last month we ran the aircon most nights and used fans/TV's/cooker etc as normal and the bill was Bht2375 - 2 bed and 2.5 bath. Hope that helps.

Sure sounds high, I see the bills for 13 houses around me, for some reason all delivered to my house... The highest I've seen anyone get is 1800 baht per month, running AC with the windows open! :blink:

Last month or perhaps the month before everyone got 100 baht knocked off the bill.... due to outages, I think....:)

Does your landlord give you something he has written up? or do you get the little white chit of paper about 3" by 4".... ? Printed out by the meter reader....

I've been here about 3 years and it never really changes that much for me or other houses either... varies from about 300 to 800 baht usually for most...

So, as suggested already, check for "leakage" at night....and see if someone is tapping the line...

I gather too that there are two types of meters, never really understood that, but one type charges out at a higher rate... ???

Do what I used to do in the UK and still do here.check the meter reading...does it match the units on the bill

first there are english and forang sparkeys on the island they have no reason to lie to you.

also the meter reading might not be the same as the bill. if you get a thai to explain the bill to you after they have talked with the elctric office. they charge for materials used to make electric. weather it be winde palme oil or what ever. depending on there sorce the bill can go up and down.

if i wias you i would look for a forang elctrician. they can find out this problem as easy as a thai and explain properly.

maybe a forang electric company

I think maybe I know what is happening ...

If there are some works (carpenter, welding etc ...) done by the place, the workers use the meter to directly "plug" the power to their machines ...

Of course, on the evening they remove the traces of their theft !

One way to control this is to look at the seals (Pb, bottom of the meter), if they are broken then you know !

:(

OP already said that when he turns off the mains the meter stops running, could be a faulty meter, my neighbor lady had bills of something like 20 baht/month for ages because the meter was bad, meter reader never reported it either.

Be nice if the op would let us know the source of the bill. Is it direct from the Electric Co. our through some secondary source?

If you have a breaker box one more thing you can try to determine potential problem areas. Turn on main breaker and only one secondary breaker at a time and check meter rpm's. If you find one circuit that spins at a high rate of speed that might be your problem - record usage. Any thing you have connected to the individual circuit that is selected should first be turned off to detect leakage to ground and then on to detect possible shorts in your electrical stuff.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

Be nice if the op would let us know the source of the bill. Is it direct from the Electric Co. our through some secondary source?

If you have a breaker box one more thing you can try to determine potential problem areas. Turn on main breaker and only one secondary breaker at a time and check meter rpm's. If you find one circuit that spins at a high rate of speed that might be your problem - record usage. Any thing you have connected to the individual circuit that is selected should first be turned off to detect leakage to ground and then on to detect possible shorts in your electrical stuff.

also check your wire. make sure it hasn't burnt through and is touching another wire. this can get very hot hence burning a whole in your bill

I think maybe I know what is happening ...

If there are some works (carpenter, welding etc ...) done by the place, the workers use the meter to directly "plug" the power to their machines ...

Of course, on the evening they remove the traces of their theft !

One way to control this is to look at the seals (Pb, bottom of the meter), if they are broken then you know !

:(

i don't think they would run a line directly off the meter more like after the meter. i am sure they can split the cable but it might be a dodgey meter. u really need a proper exctrican to give u answers not just look on here. it could be anything really.

why go to all the hassle of turning off brakers and do this and that. A proper ectrican should be able to fuind the problem or at least explain it and as i said before u can use forang electricans. they might be able to explain better

or the OP could come back and settle the issue rather quickly by responding to the question posted several times already in this thread.

does he get the bill from the meter readers or from his landlord?