Raining All Over Thailand These Days?

DavidMavec

Hello...

I am currently doing a bicycle tour in northern Thailand. I'm in the Mae Hong Son area. It has been raining on a daily basis here, sometimes very hard and sometimes for many hours a day.

I am wondering if it is raining on a near daily basis everywhere in Thailand right now? Are there places where it is not raining so much?

I would like to know this info so I can ride my bike over there... I'm getting sick of all the rain!

Thanks.

Well mate I understand your problem however it is rainy season after all. Get some water proofs and you'll be fine!

Good luck

IW

So I should take your response to mean that it is rainy season all over Thailand, eh?

Well mate I understand your problem however it is rainy season after all. Get some water proofs and you'll be fine!

Good luck

IW

So I should take your response to mean that it is rainy season all over Thailand, eh?

Of course the rainy season is all over Thailand. Sometimes you have dry days sometimes you dont. Here in Bangkok its raining too. Maybe the south is better, not sure.

This is a VERY unusual year. Normally, this would be the earliest rainy season would start up North, but it has been raining almost every day for months already.

I MUCH prefer it to broiling Hot Season however. :thumbsup:

True story. In the Surin area we are getting rain, thunder & lightning most every evening, but the days are almost all good for bike riding or whatever. Much cooler than usual, though, I like it.

mario299 :rolleyes:

Good luck

IW

I see you done your homework then? :whistling:

jb1

Good luck

IW

A general rule of thumb, yes.

Sorry to hear you are being rained out but there's not a lot you can do about the weather. Riding a bike in the rain is not pleasant at any time and especially not when you have to travel a long distance..

It is tough when nature rains on your parade but you really can't predict the weather. As Ulysses said, it's been a VERY unusual year. A friend and I were lucky in March when we took our motorbike tour up through Pai and Mae Hong Son. It was sunny and warm the whole 600 kilometers. But, had we delayed for just one week we would have been frozen out and rained on the whole way. There was 4 solid days of a cold rain that didn't let up right in the middle of what is usually the dryest month of the year. Prior to that I hadn't seen rain since the previous November... almost 4 months of sunshine. It is happening right around the world. England has had a hot sunny spring unlike any they've seen in recent memory. By contrast, we've had the coldest, wettest spring ever recorded here in British Columbia (Canada) and the rain still hasn't let up. All the plants are at least a month behind schedule and the interior lakes are still frozen. Our ski season is usually shut down in early April and yet it is lasting well into May with more snow coming all the time.

This is a VERY unusual year. Normally, this would be the earliest rainy season would start up North, but it has been raining almost every day for months already.

Every single year i've been here i've heard someone say, "the rainy season started earlier this year" :ermm:

Sorry to hear you are being rained out but there's not a lot you can do about the weather. Riding a bike in the rain is not pleasant at any time and especially not when you have to travel a long distance..

It is tough when nature rains on your parade but you really can't predict the weather. As Ulysses said, it's been a VERY unusual year. A friend and I were lucky in March when we took our motorbike tour up through Pai and Mae Hong Son. It was sunny and warm the whole 600 kilometers. But, had we delayed for just one week we would have been frozen out and rained on the whole way. There was 4 solid days of a cold rain that didn't let up right in the middle of what is usually the dryest month of the year. Prior to that I hadn't seen rain since the previous November... almost 4 months of sunshine. It is happening right around the world. England has had a hot sunny spring unlike any they've seen in recent memory. By contrast, we've had the coldest, wettest spring ever recorded here in British Columbia (Canada) and the rain still hasn't let up. All the plants are at least a month behind schedule and the interior lakes are still frozen. Our ski season is usually shut down in early April and yet it is lasting well into May with more snow coming all the time.

if you can't see the Norshore mountains it's raining...if you can it's gonna rain...lol

...and yes here in the south we really did not have a dry season and it seems the NE and SW monsoons were happening at once....I blame the ......?

True, it' the shortest dry season I have ever experienced. Too bad, because I don't mind the heat one bit!

Every single year i've been here i've heard someone say, "the rainy season started earlier this year" :ermm:

Was that before or after he spoke to your children in pidgin English?:ph34r:

I MUCH prefer it to broiling Hot Season however.

Every single year i've been here i've heard someone say, "the rainy season started earlier this year"

I bet that you never heard anybody say that it started in February (instead of May) before. ;)

Are you fit for Isaan? :D

Khon Kaen province, Amphoe Chum Phae.

At least not as much rain as in the North.

The North provinces have terrible wheather for quite a while (including the cold phase in March).

Today looks like another bright day, same as yesterday.

Last rain was on Saturday, about 3h.

In the weeks before we had thunderstorms but never whole days of rain.

Temperatures relatively low (32 Celsius or so).

I assume you weren't here last year then, when in Chiang Mai it didn't start until late June!

Edited by naboo

7/11 raincoat > rain

I actually love driving in the rain, less people

Where I live everyone seems to come out at once and sit in their cars not moving.

When I moved here last year I don't remember it raining like this all the time until around June/July. But maybe I missed some of it by not coming until the end of May?

EDIT: And just two minutes later, it's raining again!

Edited by DavidSL

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

So when does the rainy season typically ease up or go away?

I know maybe that doesn't matter so much; it's DIFFERENT this year.

Riding the bicycle with this much rain is not just unpleasant, it's dangerous. I took a nasty spill the other day coming down the mountain from Pai into Soppong. I hydroglided and boom, the bicycle gave way. I feel very lucky to have escaped it with just some road rash and achiness. It could have been broken bones or worse.

I guess I did not "do my homework" well enough as I thought that even during rainy season it only rained every few days... at least that's what people told me in Chiang Mai...

Edited by DavidMavec

...and this has been naturally occurring for years now. There was the day when "seasons" were quite predictable. For the last decade, we never know what to expect - cooler winters, rains start before Songkran, can't define a "drier" season, etc.

Good luck

IW

Yes....Thailand is the hub of the getting wet on a bike this time of year. Enjoy.

From about April in Sukhothai it's reminded me of what Frank Sinatra said about England " If you don't like the weather, wait a minute ".B)

It's been raining a lot here but when it's not it's get very hot.

Are you fit for Isaan? :D

Khon Kaen province, Amphoe Chum Phae.

At least not as much rain as in the North.

The North provinces have terrible wheather for quite a while (including the cold phase in March).

Today looks like another bright day, same as yesterday.

Last rain was on Saturday, about 3h.

In the weeks before we had thunderstorms but never whole days of rain.

Temperatures relatively low (32 Celsius or so).

Not as much rain in khon kaen..

You must be having a giraffe ..was only last week told the misses only popping down the local for 1 or 2 cold ones .then the heavens opened not seen rain like that for a long time.

Ended up having a <deleted> skin full as it was wet to leave the premises .when the rain finally stopped tried to drive home on my super wave (125cc) .

but seeing as half of khon kaen was under water had to return to the bar for a few more beers to Waite for the water to recede rolleyes.gif

Riding the bicycle with this much rain is not just unpleasant, it's dangerous. I took a nasty spill the other day coming down the mountain from Pai into Soppong. I hydroglided and boom, the bicycle gave way. I feel very lucky to have escaped it with just some road rash and achiness. It could have been broken bones or worse.

I guess I did not "do my homework" well enough as I thought that even during rainy season it only rained every few days... at least that's what people told me in Chiang Mai...

Why don't you just take shelter when it rains. Rain stops continue journey. How to tell when it is going to rain. Big black clouds, are normally a good clue?

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

Why don't you just take shelter when it rains. Rain stops continue journey. How to tell when it is going to rain. Big black clouds, are normally a good clue?

jb1

Where I have been it rains off and on every couple hours. Or sometimes the whole day. Shelter is not always to be found. It´s also dealing with the slick roads even if the rain stops. I took a nasty fall yesterday because of wet roads. I´m thinking I´ll be off to India to ride there until the rains here stop in some months.

jb1

Where I have been it rains off and on every couple hours. Or sometimes the whole day. Shelter is not always to be found. It´s also dealing with the slick roads even if the rain stops. I took a nasty fall yesterday because of wet roads. I´m thinking I´ll be off to India to ride there until the rains here stop in some months.

Take your point. I didn't realise Chaing-Mia was that bad. Down South more, like Surat-Thani is not so bad?

Before you go off to India. Don't forget to check on the weather in the particular region that you are going to. As they also have a Monsoons season? Also hope you got your injuries checked, especially if any broken skin?

jb1

Sorry ableguy didn't see your post.

Edited by jimbeam1