Leaving Car Sitting For 6-7 Months .

i am leaving my car at my home here in thailand for 6-7 months, what should i do before locking up, should i disconnect battery leads to protect against errosion ? get the car serviced ? i don,t know too much about cars so advice needed

thanks

It would help if we knew the place where the car was going to be left e.g. undercover garage or car port, open concrete area, farm area.??

I left a truck for 6months under a car port and did none of these things and it was ok OK apart from the tyres flat spotting.

For starters :-

1. clean car inside and out.

2. take any removable mats out.

3. shut air-con vent.

4. leave a nice smelly thing inside.

5. wax the car all over.

6. put car cover.

7. put up on stable axle stands.

8. failing 7. pump the tyres up hard.

9. fully charge the battery and grease terminals.

10. spray the engine compartment with WD40.

11. If you live on a farm get someone to check it every other day for vermin.

12. failing 11. leave a cat under the car on a lead.

Reckon some guys on here will help further.

It would help if we knew the place where the car was going to be left e.g. undercover garage or car port, open concrete area, farm area.??

I left a truck for 6months under a car port and did none of these things and it was ok OK apart from the tyres flat spotting.

3. shut air-con vent.

5. wax the car all over.

6. put car cover.

Hand brake off leave in gear/park if not on stand's.Food for cat. Edited by fredob43

I've suffered a number of rat invasions in my parked Toyota truck under a carport over the years. In our first truck, the rats found their way into the air conditioning vent (the vent was closed) and would subsequently die........eeeeww!! really bad smell and had to disassemble the fan unit to remove the dead rat.

Our newer Vigo seems to have plastic tabs that should protect rats from entering the air conditioning vents......but recently I heard rattling in the fan unit......dropped the fan and found leaves....probably from rats.

The rats have also inflicted damage to the top of my brake fluid reservoir cover, minor wiring chewing, and windshield washer reservoir hose.

I've put moth balls under the truck (actually slightly under the gravel below the truck). That seems to help.

I've also put rat traps under the truck....that worked until a rat was caught and our dogs went crazy scratching and pawing at the trap to pull it our from under the truck....resulting in scratches on the truck.

I'd put a cat under the truck on a leash, but know if I did, I'd forget to let the cat go before I backed out.

Surely there must be better ways to deal with rats in engine compartments. We live in the countryside....no trash/human food in the area.

I set up rat cages around the house...with corn......and catch a rat or two a week. But I'm always worried about one taking up residence in my engine compartment. If I were to be gone for a few months, I'd be very worried.

Any ideas other than the cat??

If it is petrol motor and you want to be over cautious can also remove spark plugs, spray in plug hole with WD40 then put plugs back in. If in sun light cover tyres with something. :)

Not to argue with Trans but I'd pour a teaspoon of light oil into each cylinder. Crank the engine over for maybe two seconds to coat the (cylinder) walls, then replace the spark plugs.

Personally I would also add some fuel stabalizer to the gas tank.

The comments about pest invasions are also important. Maybe some type of herbal pest repellant?

Any way, six months should be no problem. Some drivers stored their cars for most of WWII; a little prep goes a long way na :)

When I fist moved out here I put my car into storage and I did the following,

1. Vehicle on stands, stands under suspension.

2. Drained petrol and from a small container pumped Inox throughout the fuel system and with plugs out cranked the engine to lubricate the bores (put plugs back in afterwards)

3. Hand brake off and backed off rear brake shoes.

4. Removed front disc pads.

5. Disconnected the battery (fully charged).

6. left doors slightly ajar (don't want the door rubbers to sit compressed).

7. Put on Car cover.

Vehicle was stored in an airtight shipping container along with the rest of my belongings, went back after 2 years and sorted the brakes, put fuel in it connected the battery and it started as if I had only just parked it.

If it is petrol motor and you want to be over cautious can also remove spark plugs, spray in plug hole with WD40 then put plugs back in. If in sun light cover tyres with something. :)

Not to argue with Trans but I'd pour a teaspoon of light oil into each cylinder. Crank the engine over for maybe two seconds to coat the (cylinder) walls, then replace the spark plugs.

Personally I would also add some fuel stabalizer to the gas tank.

The comments about pest invasions are also important. Maybe some type of herbal pest repellant?

Any way, six months should be no problem. Some drivers stored their cars for most of WWII; a little prep goes a long way na :)

Yes either is good but a bit of this MarvelMysteryOil.jpg

Marvel mystery oil is the best.. Can be gotten at any True value..

It is also a good idea to have your oil changed just before you leave and then park the car with minimal driving to minimize the amount of gaseous caustic deposits left in the oil that can do unseen damage in the lower end by old oil sitting and gassing corrosives..

Also when was the last flush and antifreeze? As that is also super important with the water sitting for months on end weak anti freeze will cause a lot of internal corrosion with the water standing idle

Edited by WarpSpeed

Give it to me, i will take care of it and drive it everyday for you :) FREE

BTW if you are leaving it for only 6 months i wouldn't worry about it... Park it and leave it. disconnecting the battery would be a good idea tho ;)

Edited by Murf

I've suffered a number of rat invasions in my parked Toyota truck under a carport over the years. In our first truck, the rats found their way into the air conditioning vent (the vent was closed) and would subsequently die........eeeeww!! really bad smell and had to disassemble the fan unit to remove the dead rat.

Our newer Vigo seems to have plastic tabs that should protect rats from entering the air conditioning vents......but recently I heard rattling in the fan unit......dropped the fan and found leaves....probably from rats.

The rats have also inflicted damage to the top of my brake fluid reservoir cover, minor wiring chewing, and windshield washer reservoir hose.

I've put moth balls under the truck (actually slightly under the gravel below the truck). That seems to help.

I've also put rat traps under the truck....that worked until a rat was caught and our dogs went crazy scratching and pawing at the trap to pull it our from under the truck....resulting in scratches on the truck.

I'd put a cat under the truck on a leash, but know if I did, I'd forget to let the cat go before I backed out.

Surely there must be better ways to deal with rats in engine compartments. We live in the countryside....no trash/human food in the area.

I set up rat cages around the house...with corn......and catch a rat or two a week. But I'm always worried about one taking up residence in my engine compartment. If I were to be gone for a few months, I'd be very worried.

Any ideas other than the cat??

No shit we used this on a farm because cats will not always engage rats.

You need a solid ground parking area, buy some mesh with small enough holes for little rats feet, lay it on the ground so there's a 500mm area of the mesh all around the car when you park onto the mesh.

Buy a electric fence charger an early alternating current (AC) one is OK or a modern low impedance one which either use battery or mains power sources.

The voltage can be adjusted of course and the shock may have effects ranging from uncomfortable, to painful or even lethal but definitely no rats.:lol:

Give it to me, i will take care of it and drive it everyday for you :) FREE

BTW if you are leaving it for only 6 months i wouldn't worry about it... Park it and leave it. disconnecting the battery would be a good idea tho ;)

yepp, 6 months is short time

pump up the tyres to 45psi, make sure car is very clean inside and paint waxed. try to stick something under carpets to provide air between carpets and insulation/steel. try to provide ventilation to avoid mould, escape vents are covered by rubber flaps but can be forced open

If it has plastic tank, which most has, leave as little fuel as possible in tank. gasohol and biodiesel often separates during a few months of storage

Wee bit of tech as to why we put oil in the plug holes for storage for those who might like to know.

As you can imagine loads of oil in the bores below the piston rings but very little above, so no fear of corrosion below the rings. But when you finally store the car the valves are in different positions, a cylinder with the valves closed for combustion, no probs but the cylinders with an intake or exhaust open ''can possibly'' take in moisture (water ) from the air, condensation etc through the open ports, so the oil or WD40 you put in protects the upper bores against rust from the moisture. Also the anti rust stuff in WD40 does help valve and seat from corrosion.

I have pulled engines apart from scrap cars where this has happened resulting in a re-bore, even tried turning an engine over to find it won't budge, rust in the bores above the rings. :huh:

3. shut air-con vent.

5. wax the car all over.

6. put car cover.

3. shut air-con vent.

5. wax the car all over.

6. put car cover.

13 leave little or no petrol in the tank . on return refill with a few litres in a small petrol can.

14 remove battery , for re charging on your return .

15 rent out the car , to a trustworthy farang , ???

Did it many times with my vehicle in Aust. for up to 15 Months.

Cleaned and placed smell good packs placed inside.

Garaged and covered.

Inflated the tyres about 10 PSI above normal.

Disconnected the batteries (LandCruiser had 2)

That's it, never had a problem.

Someone suggested you leave the fuel tank near empty. I strongly disagree, condensation can form in the tank on the bare metal and cause corrosion, especially petrol. Diesel will leave a protective film on the tank.

Weld the Doors Shut,or the Dear Family,who by now have a set of keys will nacker it up. Or its My Sister Said,you should doo.............realy amazeing, when they cant look after a Mosike. I m banned from storing friends Cars,my Wife says they have their own Garage.If they dont trust the Family,dont make it obvious, its not your problem. ..:whistling:

I store my cars for 3-4 months at a time here in Thailand but I've never done anything special.

My question is about the waxing/polishing as I'm considering this now and I'm going home soon for the summer - should I wax/polish them before I leave, or after I come back? I've always done it after I've come back but does doing it before storing it offer more protection?

Also regarding spraying the engine compartment with WD-40. Is there a difference between WD-40 and Sonax spray? And do you just spray everything in sight?

I cover my cars when I'm here but when I leave I take the covers off because I find that moisture tends to build up under the cover if it's not used regularly - agree/disagree?

I store my cars for 3-4 months at a time here in Thailand but I've never done anything special.

My question is about the waxing/polishing as I'm considering this now and I'm going home soon for the summer - should I wax/polish them before I leave, or after I come back? I've always done it after I've come back but does doing it before storing it offer more protection?

Also regarding spraying the engine compartment with WD-40. Is there a difference between WD-40 and Sonax spray? And do you just spray everything in sight?

I cover my cars when I'm here but when I leave I take the covers off because I find that moisture tends to build up under the cover if it's not used regularly - agree/disagree?

Yep, all OK. Wax will oxidise a bit so yes. Paint loves wax protection. WD40. Again, do what you want, will not harm anything. I use sonax, acts the same as WD40 but the scientists out there might disagree :D. Think your right about the cover as it is plastic, cannot breath.. :)

Just been round my pals place to check things out, truck tyres are flat after only two months, a good ad for axle stands.

Yep, all OK. Wax will oxidise a bit so yes. Paint loves wax protection. WD40. Again, do what you want, will not harm anything. I use sonax, acts the same as WD40 but the scientists out there might disagree :D. Think your right about the cover as it is plastic, cannot breath.. :)

Just been round my pals place to check things out, truck tyres are flat after only two months, a good ad for axle stands.

wax before leave to protect paint from scratches (cats or neighbors) and rust. Wax whenever its not shiny again :)

I do not like covers at all as it prevents humidity to escape, interior and exterior

thanks for your replies, ive left allready 2 days ago, left the car under car port at house, left windows down an inch to let little air inside, gave it a good valet / clean , not waxed. put cover over it and left it, forgot to disconnect battery leads, maybe 6 mths to 1 year before i come back. the car is not n a farm its parked at my pattaya / darkside house where ive put a decent pedal lock on car also 4 massive locks on my gates, no one can get inside unless hacking for days with a hacksaw, ive some decent neigbours who say they will look after the place and water the plants etc in the garden also , so i guess the car will be fine

no one can get inside unless hacking for days with a hacksaw, ive some decent neigbours who say they will look after the place and water the plants etc in the garden also , so i guess the car will be fine

I purchased a Plasma cutter a few weeks back , nice little self contained unit that has its own on-board air compressor, I reckon I could run it from an inverter in my car...................food for thought but those padlocks can be removed very easily with minimal noise........pull up in front of gate and pop bonnet looking at engine whilst some one is removing padlocks..............

thanks for your replies, ive left allready 2 days ago, left the car under car port at house, left windows down an inch to let little air inside, gave it a good valet / clean , not waxed. put cover over it and left it, forgot to disconnect battery leads, maybe 6 mths to 1 year before i come back. the car is not n a farm its parked at my pattaya / darkside house where ive put a decent pedal lock on car also 4 massive locks on my gates, no one can get inside unless hacking for days with a hacksaw, ive some decent neigbours who say they will look after the place and water the plants etc in the garden also , so i guess the car will be fine

Thanks for the thread because I had some questions too. Hope your car is fine, I'm sure it will be.

I started prepping one of my cars for my trip. I changed the tires to an old set I had, and sprayed the engine bay down with Sonax Engine Cleaner (green/white can) and then drove it around yesterday and today sprayed it down with Sonax. I will be driving the car for another couple of weeks but I had some time so I changed the tires. Should I store the other tires on their tread, yes? Not on their sidewalls stacked, right?

I will probably get the cars waxed in the next week or so. I don't plan on using a cover for the reasons mentioned in this thread (moisture), but I'm not sure about cracking the windows? Good idea? I've found that whenever I crack (leave them open a bit) the windows there are mosquitoes in the car the next day (though over the course of months I'm sure they'll all be dead). Anyway, thanks for the replies guys.

p.s. I have an inclined (tiny bit) driveway. Should I leave the cars in Park, and have them back-stopped by a brick, etc? Or Neutral with bricks at each tires? Does that even matter?

Never mind the motor. It will be the rats that will be his problem. :(

i noticed that no one mentioned to have the battery on permanent charge. i used to have a small charge which was designed to be permanrntly attached to the car it switched off at 13.2 volts and switched on at 11 volts. i used it on my mgb and had no problems in fact before i started to use it i would need new batteries every 2 years. ( it used 6volt old style lead acid type). i brought it with me and use it in my pick up as i do not drive it often and i know the battery is fully charged all the time.

When I fist moved out here I put my car into storage and I did the following,

1. Vehicle on stands, stands under suspension.

2. Drained petrol and from a small container pumped Inox throughout the fuel system and with plugs out cranked the engine to lubricate the bores (put plugs back in afterwards)

3. Hand brake off and backed off rear brake shoes.

4. Removed front disc pads.

5. Disconnected the battery (fully charged).

6. left doors slightly ajar (don't want the door rubbers to sit compressed).

7. Put on Car cover.

Vehicle was stored in an airtight shipping container along with the rest of my belongings, went back after 2 years and sorted the brakes, put fuel in it connected the battery and it started as if I had only just parked it.

6. I disagree with. good chance of mice geckos, cockroaches inside the car, and whatever else might like your interior. If mice can get in, and they can squeeze thru some narrow spaces, so will the snakes. I'd rather risk the the rubbers, but leave the windows slightly open.

I would definitely jack the car up, AND remove the tires and wheels, AND store them some place else. Make it difficult for others to "borrow" the car.

i noticed that no one mentioned to have the battery on permanent charge. i used to have a small charge which was designed to be permanrntly attached to the car it switched off at 13.2 volts and switched on at 11 volts. i used it on my mgb and had no problems in fact before i started to use it i would need new batteries every 2 years. ( it used 6volt old style lead acid type). i brought it with me and use it in my pick up as i do not drive it often and i know the battery is fully charged all the time.

at 11 Volt a battery is usually permanently damaged

and it takes 14,45 Volt to charge a 12 Volt battery 100% full.

I would not leave an ordinary batterycharger connected for months, as if electronic fails battery can explode