Thai Atm Card Blocked

Hello,

My wifes Thai ATM card has been blocked by her daughter, she has put the wrong pin number in and the card is now blocked.

She rang her bank and they are saying she has to come into the bank to fill in a form to unlock. Slight problem, she has only just got to Belgium with me and will not be in Thailand for some time.

My question is, I have noticed on her banks website she can join up for internet banking. Will she be able to unlock through this or transfer the money out to another Thai account?

Her daughter has got the form to unlock her card and is sending it though the post. I'm just trying to think of a quicker route. It seems crazy that you can't do it over the phone. How behind the times.

Her bank is the yellow one. I'm not sure if i can say the name on here, but it starts with an A.

Any ideas?

It's OK to name the bank. It must be Bank of Ayudhya, which nowadays calls itself Krungsri Bank, you are talking about.

I'm afraid all Banks in Thailand require the personal presence of the account holder to set up online banking. I don't know how it is with unblocking a blocked ATM card, but I guess it is the same thing, ie personal appearance with identification documents. I am sure they do this for the security of the account holders, as otherwise there would be too much fraud.

I'm afraid all Banks in Thailand require the personal presence of the account holder to set up online banking. I don't know how it is with unblocking a blocked ATM card, but I guess it is the same thing, ie personal appearance with identification documents. I am sure they do this for the security of the account holders, as otherwise there would be too much fraud.

This info is not correct. Bangkok Bank allows customers to enroll for internet banking at their ATM's, so does Kbank, and SCB also allows enrollment via website. Not sure about BAY.

This info is not correct. Bangkok Bank allows customers to enroll for internet banking at their ATM's, so does Kbank, and SCB also allows enrollment via website. Not sure about BAY.

I am sorry to tell you that you are wrong sir and Mr Maestro is correct. No bank in Thailand will unblock or set up internet banking without a personal appearence. The word "enroll' you mean I do not understand but like Maestro says.......

I can't help with the blocked card :(

But I CAN confirm that you can set up internet banking with Bangkok Bank WITHOUT requiring a personal presence, I did it.

Setup via the ATM is painless, but needs a Thai mobile number to receive a one-time PIN but no actual talking to anyone, of course you have to be at the ATM to insert the card (personal presence) but no talking to anyone in the bank. OTP also needed to perform any transactions.

But I CAN confirm that you can set up internet banking with Bangkok Bank WITHOUT requiring a personal presence, I did it.

Setup via the ATM is painless, but needs a Thai mobile number to receive a one-time PIN but no actual talking to anyone, of course you have to be at the ATM to insert the card (personal presence) but no talking to anyone in the bank. OTP also needed to perform any transactions.

Yes sir you are correct but this is concidered a "persononal presence" where as every ATM has a camera built in. I think the OP was refering to a situation where he was asking if it can be done from another country.

Bangkok Bank ATM can be used for internet set up if account is in one name only - but it can not be used for joint accounts.

But that does not help the OP. Suspect use of account will have to wait until after she returns and makes an appearance with passport/ID card and fills out the required paperwork.

+ 1 for CAN set up via ATM machine, for Bangkok Bank anyway.... and not just in Bangkok.

Yes sir you are correct but this is concidered a "persononal presence" where as every ATM has a camera built in. I think the OP was refering to a situation where he was asking if it can be done from another country.

No it is not considered a personal presence, and I am pretty sure that neither is the feed from the ATM reviewed as if it was they may have wondered why I set it up on one of my wife's accounts (and no I wouldn't pass for a Thai woman, and I have never been in her branch of that bank either with or without her).

No it is not considered a personal presence, and I am pretty sure that neither is the feed from the ATM reviewed as if it was they may have wondered why I set it up on one of my wife's accounts (and no I wouldn't pass for a Thai woman, and I have never been in her branch of that bank either with or without her).

This would not however help the OP as the card has been blocked, therefore it cannot be used at an ATM, to clear this requires a personal presence, and at the same time Internet Banking could be arranged. If the OP's wife is outside of Thailand then best to use Western Union to transfer money to the daughter and visit the bank upon his wife's return to Thailand.

Thank you all for your replies.

It's a good job I never sent a massive amount to her account for anything important.

I thought maybe there was another way to unlock her card; thats why i asked about internet banking. But I'm not suprised you can't. I'm glad my bank is not the same. The amount of times i have locked my card; i would be lost without telephone banking.

Anyway, I won't babble to long.

Thank you all again.

Thank you all for your replies.

It's a good job I never sent a massive amount to her account for anything important.

I thought maybe there was another way to unlock her card; thats why i asked about internet banking. But I'm not suprised you can't. I'm glad my bank is not the same. The amount of times i have locked my card; i would be lost without telephone banking.

Anyway, I won't babble to long.

Thank you all again.

So it is a family problem :)

Yeah I have to admit to locking cards as well. But i don't lock mine by entering the pin in wrong 3 times. Silly girl. :rolleyes:

I normally lock mine by trying to buy things on the internet (Flights mostly) and my bank blocks it, due to me doing something wrong. Long story.

Plus being in the Navy and sometimes drunk in another country than my home one, i have not informed my bank i'm going to be there and they block. But in my defence, its sometimes hard to tell my bank when we are going to be somewhere. Sometimes are stops are not planed due to ship breakdown. Can happen a lot. Are grey warriors of death are getting a bit close to retirement or should i say past. :annoyed: