Tiger Motorbikes

Hi all. Does anybody know anything about this bike? It can be bought online from Tiger motorbikes Seems to be based on a Honda 110cc Wave engine, except that it has a manual clutch. Looks good, without any of the problems that come with buying an old bike. At 36,000 Baht, it looks good value, too. .

The good thing with the Retro Sport is that the engine design is as old as you could imagine, sure Tiger has improved a few things, but the basic is the same, making it near impossible to destroy it. And with the 3-year warranty you cannot do wrong...

In the specifications Tiger says that the clutch is a “easy” clutch, I have no idea what that means but – who cares it has a clutch lever and has 4-gears - not something to worry about – it's not that you need to endless change gears...

The look, the style and the design is stunning, Tiger Motor is really playing the right tune for people who love retro style bikes. The Tiger Retro Sport is probably as sporty as any classic, so not think you will overtake many people in daily traffic, but I'm sure that everybody has an eye on you and what is speed... in a city as Bangkok

The price 36,000 THB is a pretty good, you cannot buy anything comparable.

Few years back purchased a new Tiger CX125 I like the slightly bigger size and rugged style to it.

they never coud be me a gren book for this new bike so after 1 year they gave me another one at no extra charge. This one on several occations broke down, all minor, and fixed for me but all were well away from a service shop and 2 of the break downs could have been deadly.

I like the looks of some of their bikes, but I worry about quality and attitude of the company

Was there ever a Tiger CX 125, I always had the idea Tiger went direct to the CX 135....

Also depending on where you bought the bike, you could be easily apply for a green-book by applying with the papers you get when you bought it.

Some dealers do not offer the service of applying for a green-book for you – and that has very very little to do with Tiger Motorcycles.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Few years back purchased a new Tiger CX125 I like the slightly bigger size and rugged style to it.

they never coud be me a gren book for this new bike so after 1 year they gave me another one at no extra charge. This one on several occations broke down, all minor, and fixed for me but all were well away from a service shop and 2 of the break downs could have been deadly.

I like the looks of some of their bikes, but I worry about quality and attitude of the company

Can i ask did you buy direct or from a dealer. Do you still have the bike, is it still running ok.. You say a few years ago...2 years,3 years? how many years ago?

Like most manufacturers there have been changes at Tiger not least is their 3 year/30,000km warranty on all new bikes and the fact that if you do not have a Tiger service centre close to you then they will actually send mechanics from the factory in BKK to fix your bike.

Apparently, you bought a Tiger CX 125 a few years back never got a green book, ordered 10 months ago a Nissan March (little car – for people who wonder what it is) and is still waiting for it...????

Where do you live? Is it one of the small islands in the Andaman Sea with 3 houses on it?

Like most manufacturers there have been changes at Tiger not least is their 3 year/30,000km warranty on all new bikes and the fact that if you do not have a Tiger service centre close to you then they will actually send mechanics from the factory in BKK to fix your bike.

Now I think that's a little bit of an exaggeration!

They'll occasionally send out the "service team" in Bangkok when they are doing a number of customers or a delivery in an area, but outside Bangkok they'll very occasionally send a service team to an agent in a provincial city and publicise that on the Club website so those nearby can take their bikes there, as they did in Chiang Mai fairly recently, and even more occasionally send a mechanic along to check a major problem when they are doing a delivery near Bangkok, such as to Pattaya.

Other companies (Honda, Yamaha, etc) don't need to do that as they have an extensive dealer/service network, which Tiger do not.

Not quite the same thing.

They'll occasionally send out the "service team" in Bangkok when they are doing a number of customers or a delivery in an area, but outside Bangkok they'll very occasionally send a service team to an agent in a provincial city and publicise that on the Club website so those nearby can take their bikes there, as they did in Chiang Mai fairly recently, and even more occasionally send a mechanic along to check a major problem when they are doing a delivery near Bangkok, such as to Pattaya.

Other companies (Honda, Yamaha, etc) don't need to do that as they have an extensive dealer/service network, which Tiger do not.

Actually Yamaha do for the big bikes... send a mechanic out that is.. how can it be an exaggeration when thats what Tiger do (even a little bit). If a customer has a problem then Tiger will sort it out. Do you agree?

Don't forget that very few motorcycle shop mechanics are actually factory trained here in Thailand. certainly the ones working for the direct purchase shops may be (Honda main dealers, Yamaha Square) but the others ...well, who knows

(maybe technical college, so it depends on if they spent their time learning or making bombs, guns etc to carry on the much publicized gang wars)

• 1 month later...

Yep, thats exactly my opinion. I love my Tiger Boxer, but i would never buy it again after what i experience after purchasing. I hope the trouble will stop some day and i will then have a bike that will run a few years without trouble. I really hope so.

I can confirm, that in Bangkok there is no problem to get service. They send friendly service teams as often as you need them. But i would be much happier, if i would not need them and could start to make tours with my beloved Boxer :(

Actually Yamaha do for the big bikes... send a mechanic out that is.. how can it be an exaggeration when thats what Tiger do (even a little bit). If a customer has a problem then Tiger will sort it out. Do you agree?

I disagree. Sure they do replacings of broken parts and this in a very quick response time. At least here in Bangkok. But it seems that they not have the original spare parts for their bikes on stock. You give a bike for a warranty repair and you receive a bike with new parts, that are not the same as the parts you have purchased one day. I do not think this is really professional. And there are plenty stories like this, if you take the time to search for them. I think you will loose a lot of time if you insist on getting the original parts that you once have purchased with warranty.

Yep, thats exactly my opinion. I love my Tiger Boxer, but i would never buy it again after what i experience after purchasing. I hope the trouble will stop some day and i will then have a bike that will run a few years without trouble. I really hope so.

I can confirm, that in Bangkok there is no problem to get service. They send friendly service teams as often as you need them. But i would be much happier, if i would not need them and could start to make tours with my beloved Boxer :(

I disagree. Sure they do replacings of broken parts and this in a very quick response time. At least here in Bangkok. But it seems that they not have the original spare parts for their bikes on stock. You give a bike for a warranty repair and you receive a bike with new parts, that are not the same as the parts you have purchased one day. I do not think this is really professional. And there are plenty stories like this, if you take the time to search for them. I think you will loose a lot of time if you insist on getting the original parts that you once have purchased with warranty.

Every time I've needed my Tiger Retro serviced or repaired Tiger has sent a team within a day or two and they always use genuine parts. Your post isn't very clear:

"You give a bike for a warranty repair and you receive a bike with new parts, that are not the same as the parts you have purchased one day."

No idea what you're trying to say... Are you saying that your bike was repaired using non-original parts?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

Happy Trails!

Tony

"You give a bike for a warranty repair and you receive a bike with new parts, that are not the same as the parts you have purchased one day."

No idea what you're trying to say... Are you saying that your bike was repaired using non-original parts?

I want to say that they do not have the parts in stock, from wich they build their products with. Everything is changing very often. The provided parts Catalog is not reliable. A manufacturer of motorbikes should be able to garanty to have exactly the same parts in stock at least for the time the warranty is valid. Same in quality, design, function and everything else. Very annoying. Not more, not less. Or in other words: The stock-keeping seems not to be the best. Thanks for your interest. I have nothing more to say.

Anyway, it certainly be wonderful if someone with ownership experience riding what I too understood was a 135cc bike - and could relate exactly how the easy-clutch works for them.

I would not expect the bike could challenge Yamaha's 135 Spark or their 135 Elegance for speeds, necessarily, but it might be lively and it is 10K or 20k less costly, respectively.

Anyway, it certainly be wonderful if someone with ownership experience riding what I too understood was a 135cc bike - and could relate exactly how the easy-clutch works for them.

I would not expect the bike could challenge Yamaha's 135 Spark or their 135 Elegance for speeds, necessarily, but it might be lively and it is 10K or 20k less costly, respectively.

You are right. And i am sorry to have mixed this thread with my experiences about a 250cc. In some other thread i already stated, that i do not doubt the quality or stock-keeping of Tigers <150cc. I too like the style of the Retro Sport. And i would like to hear reports about it too :jap:

Few enough bikes "fit" me here in Thailand, The old Tiger Joker did. The bike was reliable for 8 years and had Tiger ever dealt with a simple design flaw (the chrome ring for the speedometer/odometer rusted out that I ended up replacing twice) ... I would be buying one (new and built years ago) off the floor of the showroom here in Chiang Mai. Sadly, they never did deal with that issue so I'll be looking at other companies in the very near future. (I am buying a new bike in the next week or two.)

May just end up with the new 125cc FI Honda.

Few enough bikes "fit" me here in Thailand, The old Tiger Joker did. The bike was reliable for 8 years and had Tiger ever dealt with a simple design flaw (the chrome ring for the speedometer/odometer rusted out that I ended up replacing twice) ... I would be buying one (new and built years ago) off the floor of the showroom here in Chiang Mai. Sadly, they never did deal with that issue so I'll be looking at other companies in the very near future. (I am buying a new bike in the next week or two.)

Jd. Could you take the New chrome ring off and get it rechromed.. therefore stopping the problem?

I noticed that the Petchabun Tiger store had a few Jokers instock as well..(also had the CX)

They also had a load of 2t Kawasaki's and Honda Tena's.. all brand new :blink:

Jd. Could you take the New chrome ring off and get it rechromed.. therefore stopping the problem?

I noticed that the Petchabun Tiger store had a few Jokers instock as well..(also had the CX)

Nah ... I don't think it is possible .. it comes as a unit. (If it were possible then Tiger should have done it ages ago on the replacements that I paid for ;) )

Nah ... I don't think it is possible .. it comes as a unit. (If it were possible then Tiger should have done it ages ago on the replacements that I paid for ;) )

all the chrome mirror stalks rust within 3 months, yammy, honda, suzuki. Its cheap mopeds :rolleyes:

none of them cover it on warranty

post-4271-0-74357100-1311081642_thumb.jp

The part in question ....

I took another pic of what is "standard" in my mind of cosmetic damage from exposure but it was too glared to bother with posting.

Note -- it isn't just the bottom of the ring that rusted ... it is the whole thing.

edit --- actually the headlight casing etc shows the normal cruddy stuff .... (Cheap enough to replace and all but the headlight casing are still original on the bike -- the headlight casing was replaced 2 weeks after I bought it ! :) That gravel was slick!

all the chrome mirror stalks rust within 3 months, yammy, honda, suzuki. Its cheap mopeds :rolleyes:

none of them cover it on warranty

This is actually a solid metal ring attached to the center of the "dash"....

It isn't like the other cosmetic issues with the bike parts (the turn signal indicators and all the other parts that are basically plastic with "chrome" film on them. I'll see if I can get a shot and upload it with my BB. (The issue isn't that I had to replace it once ---- the issue is the third one has rusted out!)

Edited by jdinasia

UMM ok.. It was just a thought.. Pity really i still see the Jokers around.

So do I .. and I like it ... and they ALL have the same issue. I just am not willing to keep dealing with a company that doesn't correct a basic design/manufacture flaw.

So do I .. and I like it ... and they ALL have the same issue. I just am not willing to keep dealing with a company that doesn't correct a basic design/manufacture flaw.

I can understand that. To be fair to Tiger the Joker is an old model that is no longer in production.

And i believe that the parts are from a third party.

BUT Tiger do indeed need to improve Quality control which they are doing parts wise (they need to do a little more on the assembly).

And on newer models they are changing and evolving parts as and when a any problems arise.. Some people do not like that either :D

I want to say that they do not have the parts in stock, from wich they build their products with. Everything is changing very often. The provided parts Catalog is not reliable. A manufacturer of motorbikes should be able to garanty to have exactly the same parts in stock at least for the time the warranty is valid. Same in quality, design, function and everything else. Very annoying. Not more, not less. Or in other words: The stock-keeping seems not to be the best. Thanks for your interest. I have nothing more to say.

Still no idea what you're trying to say...

Are you saying that your bike was repaired using non-original parts?

Or are you saying that your bike was serviced or repaired with parts that were not of equal "quality, design, function"?

Part numbers change. This is not something unusual- every manufacturer makes changes to their parts catalog over time. I think you are getting upset over nothing (as usual) :rolleyes:

Edited by BigBikeBKK

I can understand that. To be fair to Tiger the Joker is an old model that is no longer in production.

And i believe that the parts are from a third party.

BUT Tiger do indeed need to improve Quality control which they are doing parts wise (they need to do a little more on the assembly).

And on newer models they are changing and evolving parts as and when a any problems arise.. Some people do not like that either :D

I happily accept that things change over time and that improvements are made,,, and I LIKE the people I have met at the Samut Phrakahn plant. It simply doesn't change the fact that I was dissatisfied not with the workmanship of the bike I bought, but of their follow-through on issues. Unlike most companies you actually CAN reach some of the top folks at Tiger ... and yet ....

The Retro Sport is 110cc; the engine is the same as that in the Tiger Retro, presumably with similar performance.

LeC,

Thanks for sorting out my entry! Which was confused.

Under the heading of Tiger Motorbikes, I went off topic from the OP's interest in a bike with 110cc and some sort of combi-transmission to another puzzle (for me) - a bike they sell for under 40K with 135cc. But it has the clutch-free system (which I dislike for its limitations).

The 110 in question does have a manual OR clutch free system and interesting looks - probably Retro performance.

The 135 is a different bike at a slightly higher price, but no manual clutch.