Police

phillies

Today during the day they were right before Bangkok Hospital, but then at 6:30pm moved to the soi on the left at power buy. But they left one policeman in the road, making everyone with any kind of infraction hang that left quickly, BAM, there are 10 of 'em ready to pounce on you. Yes, they seem to enjoy making your i-got-away -from-you-smile go to cringe in 2 seconds flat.

I didn't have my license with me, 200 baht

and the law won...

No, not at all. Both parties (driver and police) where 'winners'. Paying 200 is cheaper and less time consuming than going to the station. I like corruption............And many of you should stop wining that you don't...

Regards, Raggs'

Edited by raggamuffin

and the law won...

No, not at all. Both parties (driver and police) where 'winners'. Paying 200 is cheaper and less time consuming than going to the station. I like corruption............And many of you should stop wining that you don't...

Regards, Raggs'

I cannot say I like corruption, but . . . 200 in his pocket OR going to the station . . . just imagine what it would have cost you back home, WHEREVER that is! How can ANYBODY complain? I recently got a photo radar ticket -- 133 kph in an 80 kph zone, fine, 400 ThB (about $13US) pay at post -- back in the good ole U.S., it would have cost well over $1,000US and may well have landed my ass in jail! I love this place!

and the law won...

Regards, Raggs'

Yeah. For the "small stuff" I go along with a bit of corruption too. From my point of view it does save a lot of drama at that level. A few weeks ago while out on the bike, my wife refused to let me pay a small 100 bht bribe to avoid a license check. The cop knew my license was ok, just as he knew that a 100 bht was a fair price. Had to ride about 14 Km in heavy traffic to the station the next day and then had to wait around for a hour or more in a smelly office to get it back. The 100 bht would have been a much better option in my humble opinion. from comorece

and the law won...

Regards, Raggs'

Yeah. For the "small stuff" I go along with a bit of corruption too. From my point of view it does save a lot of drama at that level. A few weeks ago while out on the bike, my wife refused to let me pay a small 100 bht bribe to avoid a license check. The cop knew my license was ok, just as he knew that a 100 bht was a fair price. Had to ride about 14 Km in heavy traffic to the station the next day and then had to wait around for a hour or more in a smelly office to get it back. The 100 bht would have been a much better option in my humble opinion. from comorece

That only happened to me ONCE. Now, I NEVER let them touch my license. I have a paper copy, front and back, cut out so it is the same size as original. I show them the real one and hand them the paper one and refuse all entreaties to hand over the real one. As for the paper one, I don't care what they do with it, I have more. This method can save a lot of grief and trouble.

and the law won...

Regards, Raggs'

I cannot say I like corruption, but . . . 200 in his pocket OR going to the station . . . just imagine what it would have cost you back home, WHEREVER that is! How can ANYBODY complain? I recently got a photo radar ticket -- 133 kph in an 80 kph zone, fine, 400 ThB (about $13US) pay at post -- back in the good ole U.S., it would have cost well over $1,000US and may well have landed my ass in jail! I love this place!

It wouldn't have cost anything back home. Not having your licence is not a crime; however, you would be expected to produce your licence at a Police Station within a week if requested.

Everybody knows - This is simply the BIB making lazy money on easy targets. If they really cared about upkeep of the law a lot more would be done in other areas of frequent traffic voilations i.e. light jumping, overloaded pickups, unsafe driving, blocking box junctions etc....But enforcing many of these infractions takes too much time and effort for the Police who take the easy and lazy option. It's the hipocracy and imbalance that p!sses people off.

In a rare post in defense of Police corruption; I will say that I was told by a Thai that the (town traffic) police pay is so low it's almost nothing and they are expected to use their own bike and pay for their own gas, uniforms, etc. So possibly tea money is how they live and support their families and the problem lies in the corrupt government officials higher up who sanction this behavior by not paying decent wages to the lowly street cop.

It wouldn't have cost anything back home. Not having your licence is not a crime; however, you would be expected to produce your licence at a Police Station within a week if requested.

Everybody knows - This is simply the BIB making lazy money on easy targets. If they really cared about upkeep of the law a lot more would be done in other areas of frequent traffic voilations i.e. light jumping, overloaded pickups, unsafe driving, blocking box junctions etc....But enforcing many of these infractions takes too much time and effort for the Police who take the easy and lazy option. It's the hipocracy and imbalance that p!sses people off.

couldn't have said it better

In a rare post in defense of Police corruption; I will say that I was told by a Thai that the (town traffic) police pay is so low it's almost nothing and they are expected to use their own bike and pay for their own gas, uniforms, etc. So possibly tea money is how they live and support their families and the problem lies in the corrupt government officials higher up who sanction this behavior by not paying decent wages to the lowly street cop.

This topic was only about how sneaky they were today, but if you want to talk about why they are out there, it is for one reason money. Not for safety or protect anyone, just money, If you have any kind of sympathy for these poor policemen that have to pay 20 baht in bike gas to go make 4000 baht, you are confused.

Its all well and good saying you're pleased to pay the corrupt traffic fine, but what happens when god forbid, someone you know is killed or raped. Then, unfortunately, they havent got a clue what they're doing. Train them properly in the first place, eliminate corruption from the top down, and pay them a decent wage, so they dont have to blatantly steal. Might happen in 50yrs or so, which ironically is how far behind they are in modern Policing.

The OP was simply saying that the police were a little sneaky in having the lone guy doing his thing. No need to get all high and mighty with him...... Relax!

I think its a system that works to be honest. I was stopped the other day for having no seat belt. 200 baht in his pocket. I dont care who gets the fine - him, his chief, whatever.... Its only 200 Baht I could care less.

<br>The OP was simply saying that the police were a little sneaky in having the lone guy doing his thing.  No need to get all high and mighty with him...... Relax!<br><br>I think its a system that works to be honest.  I was stopped the other day for having no seat belt.  200 baht in his pocket.  I dont care who gets the fine - him, his chief, whatever.... Its only 200 Baht I could care less.<br>
<br><br><div><br></div><div>If that was for me, then Ok. I'll relax, the Police here are great, possibly the best I've ever encountered. I love the Police , in particular their sneakiness and the more backhanders they get, the better. Thanks mate. Long live the boys in brown.  <br><br>

</div>

So the police were actually doing their job then.

The 200 baht went into his pocket, don't be a wise ass

Yes the Police were doing their job.

If the 200 baht went straight into his pocket, that is down to you, next time get a ticket and pay at the Police Station where it will cost you the same 200 baht. :jap:

If the 200 baht went straight into his pocket, that is down to you, next time get a ticket and pay at the Police Station where it will cost you the same 200 baht. :jap:

You have a point, too bad it's on top of your head. Nice to see great advice from someone with experience,

and the law won...

Regards, Raggs'

Not to be a shit but,

Back home...

AZ Revised Statues Title 28.1075.b

You can be arrested without having proper identification while driving.

it IS a criminal citation.

Nothing different here..just where they put the money once it's in their little rat claws.

You have a point, too bad it's on top of your head. Nice to see great advice from someone with experience,

Poor old phillies seems so angry about losing 200 baht for breaking the law. I think everyone that rides a bike has experience of being stopped by the Police, move on.

Travelling around Thailand, I have been stopped numerous times. Driving to Bangkok is a nightmare as there is always a checkpoint somewhere. Anyway, last time a guy pulled me over and says "You were speeding". I wasn't. I asked, "Show me the evidence". Anyway, back and forth a little, he pointing to the distance, to some imaginary device . I show him my Thai driver's and he checks it out, then flips open his little book and starts doodling, waiting for me to hand over the 200B. Well, I firmly took the license off the pad and put it back in my pocket! Give it back, he asks, repeatedly. NO, I shake my head firmly, NO!. He was so shocked! I refused to give it back to him, just saying, NO to every comment he made. In desperation, he mumbled something, and waved me on.

So, I'll try this ploy again. Show them the license, front and back, clearly and obscured, but DO NOT LET IT OUT OF YOUR HANDS. From then on, just say NO, and stare straight ahead.

I have been looking into common law, lawful rebellion, freeman-on-the-land, and so on. As a freeman, you have the right to travel, on public ways, for non-commercial purposes.

Only if you have a "car", are a "driver", on the "road", with "passengers", then the laws (of the corporation) apply to you. As a freeman, you can "travel" , in an "automobile", on the "common way", with your "guests".

Reclaim your power from the Corporations ("government") by expressing your rights as a freeman, and not a corporate employee.

I have been looking into common law, lawful rebellion, freeman-on-the-land, and so on. As a freeman, you have the right to travel, on public ways, for non-commercial purposes.

Where did you find that law? Thailand do not practice common law but have code laws.

Travelling around Thailand, I have been stopped numerous times. Driving to Bangkok is a nightmare as there is always a checkpoint somewhere. Anyway, last time a guy pulled me over and says "You were speeding". I wasn't. I asked, "Show me the evidence". Anyway, back and forth a little, he pointing to the distance, to some imaginary device . I show him my Thai driver's and he checks it out, then flips open his little book and starts doodling, waiting for me to hand over the 200B. Well, I firmly took the license off the pad and put it back in my pocket! Give it back, he asks, repeatedly. NO, I shake my head firmly, NO!. He was so shocked! I refused to give it back to him, just saying, NO to every comment he made. In desperation, he mumbled something, and waved me on.

So, I'll try this ploy again. Show them the license, front and back, clearly and obscured, but DO NOT LET IT OUT OF YOUR HANDS. From then on, just say NO, and stare straight ahead.

beeing pulled over by one or two police wearing sunglasses and papermask, I act similarly.

They state their business as usually is incorrect. If I show my TH DL at all, it remains in my hand and I do not allow them to touch it. If they are really stubborn and block my vehicle from leaving, I hand them 200 baht.

To OP, driving without a valid DL, Police had two options for you.

1. Issue an official fine 200-1.000 baht, leave bike at checkpoint, go pay fine at Policestation, come back, show reciept and get bike back.

2. 200 baht tea money and on your way.

Where did you find that law? Thailand do not practice common law but have code laws.

yepp, and in this case the Highway code

About common-law, freeman-on-the-land, etc. Yes, strictly speaking, common-law only applies to UK, UK colonies, and the USA. HOWEVER, Thailand must have had an original common-law-like system in place, BEFORE western judicial systems took over. This is all about going back to common sense notions, before the Corporations laid down all these insane "laws". Did Thai people 200, or 100 years ago have to have a license to travel, have to register their ox-carts, and display a certificate that the ox-cart was roadworthy? Obviously not. As a free person on this planet, do I not have GOD GIVEN RIGHTS to travel freely, for non-commercial purposes, on the land. I have looked a lot into this issue in terms of the UK.

Have any of you looked into the difference between the flesh-and-blood human, and your corporate fiction, always written in ALL CAPS?.

You were born, Joe, as commonly called, of the family, Bloggs.

Only your corporate identity is MR. JOE BLOGGS. Look on your passport, bank accounts, licenses, etc. The name is all caps! But if you write a birthday card you sign it Joe Bloggs. This is about learning to separate the "legal fiction" from the man.

Anyone familiar with the legal history of Thailand and the original laws before modernization?

• 2 weeks later...

Are you saying no receipt?1zgarz5.gif If not then at best he'd have to split it with the rest of the group. giggle.gif 200 THB...violin.gif

About common-law, freeman-on-the-land, etc. Yes, strictly speaking, common-law only applies to UK, UK colonies, and the USA. HOWEVER, Thailand must have had an original common-law-like system in place, BEFORE western judicial systems took over. This is all about going back to common sense notions, before the Corporations laid down all these insane "laws". Did Thai people 200, or 100 years ago have to have a license to travel, have to register their ox-carts, and display a certificate that the ox-cart was roadworthy? Obviously not. As a free person on this planet, do I not have GOD GIVEN RIGHTS to travel freely, for non-commercial purposes, on the land. I have looked a lot into this issue in terms of the UK.

Have any of you looked into the difference between the flesh-and-blood human, and your corporate fiction, always written in ALL CAPS?.

You were born, Joe, as commonly called, of the family, Bloggs.

Only your corporate identity is MR. JOE BLOGGS. Look on your passport, bank accounts, licenses, etc. The name is all caps! But if you write a birthday card you sign it Joe Bloggs. This is about learning to separate the "legal fiction" from the man.

Anyone familiar with the legal history of Thailand and the original laws before modernization?

Get a life.