Imagine The Mayhem !

tigerfish

apart from other things i can think of, i have this one image in my head of Mrs Somchai trying to get hubby to scan through his religious Buddhist tattoos in the hope of earning double club card points. that is once she has actually figured out what a bar-code is !

i'm giggling just imagining it all. if that offends any one, you haven't used one yourself.

Having been in TESCO in the UK I am with you - mayhem for sure.

I have a picture in my mind of the woman I was behind in Makro earlier this year, paying an 11,000 Baht bill with 20 Baht notes !! She would not be popular in a self service store.

Understanding "Bar Code" in Thailand is limited to:

Short Time = 1 hour

Long Time = 1 hour 5 minutes

Farang = Walking ATM

Sick Water Buffalo = Father Want New Truck

Hansum Man = Anything Ambulatory

Beyond that, yes, total mayhem.

I guess the insinuation here is that your average Brit is smarter than your average Thai, and that the latter is too dumb to figure out how to self-check out at a grocery store.

Do I have that right?

Nothing gets past you, does it?

Although I'm quite sure that not all in this thread are Brits

I guess the insinuation here is that your average Brit is smarter than your average Thai, and that the latter is too dumb to figure out how to self-check out at a grocery store.

Do I have that right?

I think the insinuation was that Thais prefer to deal with people, while acknowledging that farang, thanks to their complete lack of interpersonal skills, and being born in the land of science fiction films, must be experts in dealing with bizarre impersonal technology

SC

I love these topics; you just know where they're going before you get thought the subject matter. You know…… considering the amount of toothless dumb ass Thai bums that try and take the piss because you, (the farang) does not speak "piss-head Thai, but….Woe betide any farang that says anything about Thais.

I can see 'tigerfish'was just having a poke…. that's all at Mrs. Somchai and her hubby…..big deal.

Why do people over react so much? You would think sometimes TV's subscribers are made up of over 50% human right lawyers

Edited by Tonto21

Do I have that right?

Yes.

I hated self-check-out. It crashed many times midway through and often the bar codes were either not present, or they were "unreadable." I refused to use it after a few tries.

When it comes to this kind of thing, again, yes, you've got it right, regardless of Brit, American or Australian. The "average" Thai you refer to will not deal well with it.

Nice to be right for a change, huh?

All the checkout staff at every supermarket I've been to in Thailand appear to be Thai, and they seem quite capable of doing their jobs.

I see no reason why there'd be any more mayhem than there was at the self 'service' checkouts in UK supermarkets. It once amused me that Asda had employed 2 support staff and 2 dedicated security for the self 'service' checkouts. I assume the desire to save on staffing costs had gone out of the window and the main aim was now to educate the UK population on how to scan barcodes and not steal things.

Edited by naboo

Not going to get into any of this silliness but I'm reminded of how on my last visit Stateside (4 years ago) I came across a fast food joint where you had to place your own order on a touch screen...

Each screen had an employee standing by it to direct the customer which button to push. Think about it.

(And I still had trouble doing it right)

Not going to get into any of this silliness but I'm reminded of how on my last visit Stateside (4 years ago) I came across a fast food joint where you had to place your own order on a touch screen...

Each screen had an employee standing by it to direct the customer which button to push. Think about it.

is it a test for the future? - see how far big co's can de-staff versus the braincell average of the sheeple? biggrin.gif

is it a test for the future? - see how far big co's can de-staff versus the braincell average of the sheeple? biggrin.gif

Maybe.

But if you have to have one staff member for each machine...

I always thought the only reason for self check out at super markets was to have less employees to pay....

no need for that in Thailand since most check out girls are making less than 5 dollars a day

what next self serve gas stations in Thailand that would be fun...lol

Do I have that right?

I think the insinuation was that Thais prefer to deal with people, while acknowledging that farang, thanks to their complete lack of interpersonal skills, and being born in the land of science fiction films, must be experts in dealing with bizarre impersonal technology

SC

While what you have written might be true Moonrakers, what was insinuated was what Richard4849 described.

I guess the OP is a farang who has had a bad run of frustration in Thailand (ie can't hack it) and feels the need to vent by describing perceived inferiority of people he lives around....

c'est la vie. He'll be packing off to his homeland soon enough. No great loss.

Do I have that right?

SC

While what you have written might be true Moonrakers, what was insinuated was what Richard4849 described.

I guess the OP is a farang who has had a bad run of frustration in Thailand (ie can't hack it) and feels the need to vent by describing perceived inferiority of people he lives around....

back in my homeland, yes !

did i want to go back ? no ! had no choice seeing as my father has taken a turn for the worse and have had to come back to take care of him.

so that rather shoots your quick off the mark generalisation of what kind of person i am in the foot, doesnt it ?

oh and yes i am back here in the U.K. with my wife, who was more than happy to leave her homeland. wink.gif but don't worry as soon as i get the chance i will be back on that plane.

hell, why would i want to stay any longer in a <deleted> hole of a place like London that was once my home, but has gone to the dogs.

and the reason i started the topic, was basically because of what i have seen whilst being back here at various supermarket check outs across the land. confusion and frustration sums it up, as opposed to an idea that should make shopping a lot easier.

throw it 13 and a half thousand miles east and all i can see is mayhem !

as for calling me a farang Mr samran, i guess that's just you taking your usual stance over posters you dont agree with. oh and plus the fact that you seem to feel your a cut above the rest of us, just because your a L.K. honary member. who gives a toss. rolleyes.gif

get a <deleted> life mate ! and if you have issues with your farang side, dont park the blame at my and every other poster doorstep, have it out with your old man, if hes still around. whistling.gif

Edited by tigerfish

Do I have that right?

SC

I prefer to draw my inferences based on my own understanding. When others offer up their own insinuations, I prefer to judge them on merit, and accept or ignore them accordingly.

Anyway, TF would be sorely missed, and we should be grateful for Astro stepping up to the plate (so to speak) when South African Supersports was no longer available, so that he might remain here. If only we could get Orbit Showtime...

Anyway, I believe TF had originally posted with the intent of drawing some humour from the situation, and did his best, highlighting a quintessentially Thai scenario. Others have highlighted the irony of a similar situation in other countries, one poster followed on from Richard's inference, drawing entertainment from the possibility of Thais asking Farang for directions, and we should applaud their constructive efforts, rather than harping on to our own pet peeves - in your case, the "in that case go home" story, in my case, rugby league on television.

My contribution would be the anarchy of queuing when there is not even a checkout girl to enforce discipline - imagine one of our dish-dashed fellows, perhaps from the Middle East, casting down a packet of cigarettes amongst your groceries with a grunt and expecting things to happen.

SC

EDIT: And I'm Streetcowboy. Moonraker is someone quite different, though no doubt I am less offended than he by the mix-up.

Tigerfish.

Sorry to hear about your father. Strangely enough, I'm in a very analogous situation.

But as I tell my wife, I don't have ESP. So unreserved apologies if any offense was made on that front.

But in all honesty, you OP fell into that common category of 'those Thai's are so stupid' which we see here on TV. Re-reading it, it still does.

Edited by samran

Tigerfish.

Sorry to hear about your father. Strangely enough, I'm in a very analogous situation.

But as I tell my wife, I don't have ESP. So unreserved apologies if any offense was made on that front.

But in all honesty, you OP fell into that common category of 'those Thai's are so stupid' which we see here on TV. Re-reading it, it still does.

Samran,

It isn't that Thais are stupid. They are no more or less intelligent in general than any other place. But they do lack the culture of self discipline. I can live with that, which is why I prefer Thailand to the US.

On the other hand, that cultural trait would cause chaos at a self checkout stand. Anyone who has ever driven in Thailand knows that Thais can't even figure out that 3 white lines on the road means 3 lanes, not 5.

Tesco's are well-established in Thailand, are a hard-headed commercial organisation and know their customers. If they decide to introduce self-checkout tills, it will be because they believe there will be a benefit to their operation, and they are more likely to be right than a bunch of self-opinionated muppets on an internet forum.

Tigerfish.

Naaah, your retort against tigerfish was uncalled for. We, if on a forum in our own countries, would be beating up fellow citizens unrelentingly. We happen to be in Thailand, so that is who we beat up on.

Others in this thread have said how stupid the self-checkout concept was in their own country. Following your thinking, guess they should leave there, too.

I now, in an effort to please your sensibilities and have your permission to stay here, will now provide a verbal attack on a fellow American, aged 19 or so, who was the checkout girl at my local supermarket last time I was home. The story begins as I was self-checking and she was monitoring for the twin purposes of being available if there were any problems, and to keep me honest.

She said, long time, how are you?

I said, good, you?

She said good.

I said what are you doing?

Going to college.

What are you studying?

She said, history.

I said, there's no future in that.

She said, oh, sure there is. You can teach, or write a book....

I said, hmmmm.

Happy now, samran?

All in good fun.

Edited by happyrobert

Tesco's are well-established in Thailand, are a hard-headed commercial organisation and know their customers. If they decide to introduce self-checkout tills, it will be because they believe there will be a benefit to their operation, and they are more likely to be right than a bunch of self-opinionated muppets on an internet forum.

"Self"-opinionated? Uh, yeah. That's as redundant as the employee who stands by the self-checkout.

Can I be Fozzie Bear?

Edited by happyrobert

Do I have that right?

no, in fact you don't have it right. but, way to get an argument going...