Penang?

prk888

I used to take 2nd class non-air sleeper , Bkk. to Hat Yai. then a mini-bus to Penang.Nights get quite cold, I found air -con unnecessary.The mini -bus will drop you at your hotel /guest house in Penang.If you take the train all the way to Butterworth, it is a long walk to the ferry, and then you have to get transport from the ferry to your hotel/ guest house.The train from H.Y To B.W. is very slow. much quicker to take the mini bus. Malaysian highways are very good. . If you like a beer ,I have a little cooler . It holds 6 tinnies of Chang. , a great comforter. Plenty of food at many stations en route, If you don't fancy the restaurant car. I love the Indian quarter , in Penang , such great food !!!!.

I used to take 2nd class non-air sleeper , Bkk. to Hat Yai. then a mini-bus to Penang.Nights get quite cold, I found air -con unnecessary.The mini -bus will drop you at your hotel /guest house in Penang.If you take the train all the way to Butterworth, it is a long walk to the ferry, and then you have to get transport from the ferry to your hotel/ guest house.The train from H.Y To B.W. is very slow. much quicker to take the mini bus. Malaysian highways are very good. . If you like a beer ,I have a little cooler . It holds 6 tinnies of Chang. , a great comforter. Plenty of food at many stations en route, If you don't fancy the restaurant car. I love the Indian quarter , in Penang , such great food !!!!.

Long walk to the ferry? it's in front of you,just a minute or so on walkway,ferry free one way pay a little on the way back. Clock tower on right after u exit ferry walk up there about 5 or so minutes,into Chinatown ,cheap hotels there Not much there except for visa

The train is long and tedious,buses are more comfortable and prob cheaper,flying the best if u get a special fare.

Night train OK from Penang into KL gets u to queue in Petronas tower for sightseeing pre tix,cheap too

Planes, trains, and automobiles...all can get you to Penang. The train is a "leisurely" way to go if you have the time and cost is a consideration. The 1st Class sleeper trains are comfortable and you have a private room/toilet to yourself. Air Asia out of Bangkok gets you there in less than an hour and is not that expensive either. I have done it both ways several times and would recommend the plane...but if you want a bit of an adventure, then the train can be a fun way to go (once).

many thanks. Have you done the journey? We have a baby - would the railway trip therefore be realistic?

Yes few times,forget the train unless already in Malaysia,they are doing major uplift there anyway broad gauge ,electrifying,and dual track on west coast line. I'd say forget Penang too,only good for flying into cheaply,then train/bus down to KL,then same for Singapore 4 or 5 hours each,

Singapore good for sightseeing WW2 and all that,then jungle line up east coast of Malaysia. You must be well over 60 especially with a baby in Thailand so u get 50% off too there and in Singapore

not WELL OVER 60 please - about half way. Been in Asia half my life too (lived HK, SQ, PI, India). Want to see old friends in Penang but note your comments on the track upgrades so thanks.

not WELL OVER 60 please - about half way. Been in Asia half my life too (lived HK, SQ, PI, India). Want to see old friends in Penang but note your comments on the track upgrades so thanks.

I have seen some sights on fatherhood in Thailand, Christ some dads must be at least 7000 years old and a few looking like they are born before time began. Sort of hello and goodbye . A swift wave of the hand in passing

So you've been living in Asia since age 15?