Invisible Skin Parasite?

TrippRitter

Went to laos and while in Vientiane stayed in a hotel that had some sort of bed bugs. I managed to bring them back with me. The thing about them is they are to the naked eye completely invisible. I can see the hairs on my arms/legs/hands etc... move as these things bounce from hair to hair, however I can never see the actual bug. Every now and then they bite, but they aren't all that painful and they don't leave any marks. Not sure what these things are but I have to find someway to get rid of them.

Have you tried rubbing alcohol? I had parasites from the beach and got rid of them by rubbing a mixture of garlic water and apple cider vinegar.

No I haven't. I tried a mixture of tea tree oil and water last night before I went to bed and it helped a whole lot. I think I will go get some rubbing alcohol today and do alcohol and tea tree oil. If that doesn't kill them I will resort to apple cider vinegar and garlic.

Thanks for your input.

You need to see a dermatologist as soon as possible to verify what you have. You may have "sarcoptic mites" which causes "mange" in dogs and cats. Quite common in Asia. They can be transmited to humans but prefer animals because of the fur animals have. They are almost invisible to the naked eye so that's why you need to see a dermatologist to verify what you have. People will think your crazy because they can't see them but they are very real. I always warn people who have or are around dogs and cats with mange to avoid them. Hard to get rid of once you get them. They are everywhere in clothes and bedding. You may be able to get powders that you can spread over beds and furniture to kill them but the Doctors here will know better on how to do it.

Good luck

I tried a mixture of tea tree oil and water last night before I went to bed and it helped a whole lot. I think I will go get some rubbing alcohol today and do alcohol and tea tree oil. If that doesn't kill them I will resort to apple cider vinegar and garlic.

Are you also treating your bed linens and towels?

Once when I had lice, the (Thai) doctor said that unless I had a washing machine that could heat to water to very high temps, to simply take the linens out of the washer after the spin cycle, seal them in large black trash bags, and toss them on the roof for a few days. The sun's heat will sufficiently steam them and kill them. Then just put them through another regular wash cycle.

I don't know the life cycle of the parasites you're dealing with, but if it's say five days or less, I'd leave the bags in the sun for that long, to handle any second generation parasites that might hatch.

It's not bedbugs as they are visible to the eye. it's not likely mites either because they burrow right in and you would not see the hairs on your arms moving like that. Could be lice or fleas. Thorough showering with hot soapy water combined with careful treatment of your clothes and bedding may do the trick. if not, there are topical medications you can buy over the counter anywhere, often in a shampoo type form

Don't forget to deal with clothes and bedding. A thorough wash in hiot water, machine dry at high temperature should do.

if you have a backpack or anything like that that might be infected and isn't practical for washer/drier, place in the hot sun.

This may be a dumb question.... but...

Where would an average person find hot water washing machine or an electric or gas machine dryer that they could use in Thailand?

Every place I've ever seen or stayed in only has a washing machine that washes at whatever temperature water comes out of the pipe, and then no dryer...but hanging the clothes out on the line to dry...

I've never seen a coin operated dryer here. For that matter, I don't recall ever seeing what I'd consider a traditional laundramat with washers and dryers like I'd find in the U.S.

I've seen banks of coin operated washing machines in apartment buildings and such for the use of residents... But not like a small shop where customers just walk in off the street and start using the machines.

Where would an average person find hot water washing machine or an electric or gas machine dryer that they could use in Thailand?

The front loading washing machines that I've looked at in Home Pro and appliance stores are able to heat the water. Those same places sell (an admittedly small selection of) electric clothes dryers, as well.

Yes, WP, the large home appliance stores sell them... So a person could buy one for their home...

But since most people probably don't already have one or are renting somewhere, the question was.... if you need a heated/hot water washer and powered dryer for a special purpose like the OP's, where can you go to find and use them?

As I said above, I've yet to find a laundry shop with coin operated machines of that type here in LOS.

The modern washing machine in my rented home doesn't even have a water temperature setting... only water level.

I asked my wife last night about where to fund that kind of laundry shop, and her answer both on heated water washers and powered dryers was... "no have".

Edited by jfchandler

There are public laundromats (machines you pay to use) in shops in just about every city and town.

Even the provincial town of Prachinburi, which has literally just one stop light, has one.

Sheryl, maybe you're missing my points above...

Of course there are laundromats.... But what I was saying is... a) those seem to use washers that just use tap temperature water...not heated/hot water as needed for the OP's purpose... and b] those places I've seen don't seem to include electric or gas dryers.... just washers... At least that's what I find around BKK.

There are public laundromats (machines you pay to use) in shops in just about every city and town.

Even the provincial town of Prachinburi, which has literally just one stop light, has one.

Edited by jfchandler

OK, I have to admit i've never used these places so can't say re water temperature. It could indeed be they don't have hot water.

Pretty sure I've seen some with dryers, though.

An alternative would be to hand wash in hot water and dry in direct sunlight.

My doctor's suggestion to put the damp linens/bedding in a black trash bag and toss it on the roof to steam them should take care of it. Unless, by a string of bad luck, several cloudy days occur.

My roommate did it (he had a crab infestation) and we couldn't withstand the urge to check the temperature during mid-day sun, so we opened the bag, and BOY was it HOT!

After reading one of Sheryl's posts I forgot to include clothing that was recently worn in a bag on the roof, as well.