When Do I Need To Use My 2Nd Entry Of Tourist Visa?

I received a double entry Tourist Visa the first week of April. The "enter before" date is Jul 6th 2011. I am currently in Thailand and plan to go to Europe in June and stay until late August or September. So that will be the end of my 1st entry on my double entry visa. Will I be able to enter using the 2nd entry of my Tourist Visa in September or will that have been too long?

Sorry, you must use your second entry before Jul 6th 2011.

That's not true. The Jul 6th is the deadline for the first entry only.

Maybe 3-4 times in the past few years I've had a double entry TV, get the first entry extended by 30 days then go off someplace for a week or so. Then return to use my second entry AFTER the original "enter before" date.

I know from experience that 1-2 weeks before using the 2nd entry isn't a problem. I want to know if 2 months is a problem.

You are wrong and if you obtained entry it was in error. All entries must be made by the use before date.

No, I'm not wrong. There is just a misunderstanding here.

The use before date is 90 days after the issue date and is only for the first entry. Each entry is 60 days which can be extended another 30 day for a total of 90 days. So if you guys are right, what's the point of have a double entry if it expires before you get a chance to use the 2nd entry? Like I said, I've done this before, just never so much time between the end of the first entry and beginning of the second.

Edited by koheesti

Yes you are wrong and there is no misunderstanding on my part - the visa validity is 90 days from date of issue - it is invalid after that date for any entry. They can be issued with six month validity (tourist) and one year validity (non immigrant) but your visa was only valid until the date indicated. No entry using that visa was allowed beyond that date. If you check your passport you may find you received visa exempt entry on previous visits if they were also after date on visa.

Yes you are wrong and there is no misunderstanding on my part - the visa validity is 90 days from date of issue - it is invalid after that date for any entry. They can be issued with six month validity (tourist) and one year validity (non immigrant) but your visa was only valid until the date indicated. No entry using that visa was allowed beyond that date. If you check your passport you may find you received visa exempt entry on previous visits if they were also after date on visa.

Six month validity? I have found out what the problem is here.

I don't have my old passport with me but I do have a photo of my first double entry TV from 2007. It has a 6 month validity ("enter before" date 6 months after issue date). The double entry I just got in Cambodia has only a 3 month validity ("enter before" date 3 months after issue date). Is this something new they've been doing? Or does it depend on the country of issue?

This is some good info because it means that while in Phnom Penh they'll give a double entry Tourist Visa, the timing they put on it means that you can't use the first entry for the full 90 days (60+30) and go somewhere for a week or two between entries like I have done in the past. Or in my specific case, I was going to use the first entry for a total of about 75 days, then leave for about 60-75 more then come back in on my 2nd entry. Yep, I'm one of those people who isn't living here full-time on Tourist Visas. :)

I'm glad I posted otherwise I would have just done business as usual and when I returned find out that I can only stay 30 days and have to buy another ticket out. Now at least I can get another Tourist Visa before I come back.

Thanx guys.

Edited by koheesti

Ninety days is normal in local area Consulates. And yes we often have to caution those using such visits to keep tract of the days as they may have to leave a couple early (of the permitted to stay stamp) to take advantage of the second entry.

Six month validity? I have found out what the problem is here.

I don't have my old passport with me but I do have a photo of my first double entry TV from 2007. It has a 6 month validity ("enter before" date 6 months after issue date). The double entry I just got in Cambodia has only a 3 month validity ("enter before" date 3 months after issue date). Is this something new they've been doing? Or does it depend on the country of issue?

This is some good info because it means that while in Phnom Penh they'll give a double entry Tourist Visa, the timing they put on it means that you can't use the first entry for the full 90 days (60+30) and go somewhere for a week or two between entries like I have done in the past. Or in my specific case, I was going to use the first entry for a total of about 75 days, then leave for about 60-75 more then come back in on my 2nd entry. Yep, I'm one of those people who isn't living here full-time on Tourist Visas. :)

I'm glad I posted otherwise I would have just done business as usual and when I returned find out that I can only stay 30 days and have to buy another ticket out. Now at least I can get another Tourist Visa before I come back.

Thanx guys.

Yeap, it happened to me. I was pretty mad, but at the end of the day, I should have checked.

They used to give you 6 months from when first issued so doing the first 60 days and 30 days extra was no problem. I didn't think to check the expiry date because I stupidly assumed it was the same as ever.

Now, the day you give them your passport is the date of issue. You can't collect your passport 'til the next day so you automatically lose a day. I did my first 60 days, then extended 30 days at immigration. (Perfectly timed and no overstay) When I got on the bus they showed me that I was 2 days over.

I'd like to think it's just typical stupid people making typical stupid mistakes that people make in these sectors (Thai or abroad) But I can't help thinking it's just a dirty ploy, and now I see many tourists are being stung.

If this is a plot to stop people from working on tourist visas, it's a terrible plot. This will only serve to piss off genuine tourists who now have to pay for tourist visas. It's pretty obvious from just looking in a person's passport to see they have too many tourist visas. The Thai consulate has the right to refuse a visa. Would make much more sense if they just refused!

Many time immigration will not do the first 30 day extension so that you have to leave and get to use the 2nd entry. This way you get 5 months not the 6 months people expect. But if they gave the 1rst extension you only have 90 days. Why blame the consulate or immigration when someone has made an assumption that is wrong.

CHECK YOUR PASSPORT

Many time immigration will not do the first 30 day extension so that you have to leave and get to use the 2nd entry. This way you get 5 months not the 6 months people expect. But if they gave the 1rst extension you only have 90 days. Why blame the consulate or immigration when someone has made an assumption that is wrong.

CHECK YOUR PASSPORT

About which immigration office are you talking?

Also to remind everyone, if the states "enter before" 16 of July, you can not enter on 16th of July.

Last day to enter is "before", so 15th of July.

I have not seen any report of this being an issue for some years. Have you? They can and do accept entry on 16th under current policy AFAIK. Yes the English wording would not allow the way many of us understand it but most visa holders do not have that much knowledge of English and fail to understand. I believe Thailand has made the decision to allow for that reason (or always intended it). I would still do a day early but if something happened and was delayed would expect to be allowed entry on that final day.

Ninety days is normal in local area Consulates.

OK, I didn't know there was a difference. This is my first Tourist Visa from the local area. The previous ones are from Helsinki and Hong Kong.

Many time immigration will not do the first 30 day extension so that you have to leave and get to use the 2nd entry.

That would suck. I hope showing them my plane ticket out on Jun 21st convinces them to give me the extension for the final 2 weeks.

Ninety days is normal in local area Consulates.

OK, I didn't know there was a difference. This is my first Tourist Visa from the local area. The previous ones are from Helsinki and Hong Kong.

Many time immigration will not do the first 30 day extension so that you have to leave and get to use the 2nd entry.

That would suck. I hope showing them my plane ticket out on Jun 21st convinces them to give me the extension for the final 2 weeks.

I have seen no such reports of Immigration refusal to provide 30 day extensions of stay on tourist visas entry for those asking.