Suvarnabhumi Airport To Get Automatic Passport Check System

webfact

Airport to Get Automatic Passport Check System

Suvarnabhumi Airport has invested more than 76 million baht on an automatic passport inspection system to address the problem of overcrowding at the immigration checkpoints.

Deputy director of the Suvarnabhumi Airport, Wilaiwan Nadwilai, reported that to address the problem of overcrowding and lines at immigration checkpoints, more than 76 million baht have been invested for the installation of an automatic passport inspection system.

Eight machines will be installed at the arrival section and another eight at the departure section.

Passengers will be able to check themselves in and out without the need for immigration officials.

This will reduce the immigration processing time from 45 seconds per person to 25 seconds.

The airport expects the system to go online at the end of the year.

Wilaiwan also said that the airport authority is currently drawing up the terms of reference for the bidding process for the installation of an air conditioning system.

She believes that the winning contractor will be able to start the installation later this year.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-25

footer_n.gif

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick search of "automatic passport inspection systems" brings up this link which gives a good indication how the system will work.

Basically, it needs biometric passports. Thailand has issued biometric passports since 2005, but I don't think to everyone.

Wilaiwan also said that the airport authority is currently drawing up the terms of reference for the bidding process for the installation of an air conditioning system.

I haven't been to the new airport yet, so please excuse this question: Will this be 'installation' or 'replacement' ?

Whilst this is good news for everybody I'm not very confident that "the system will go live at the end of the year" is a very realistic time scale. They are only just drawing up the terms of reference and Technical specifications for the bidding process, the prospective bidders have then got to put together their bids, a bid team will need to assess the bids, looking out for such things as competence and reliability, cost of installation and running costs and tea money, a preferred bidder will need to be selected and then further negotiations will take place. No way is all that going to happen in seven months, that said, I wish them well.

I suspect this will mainly benefit Thai passport holders, though his should free up more Immigration Officers to deal with none Thai passport holders.

Other countries have automatic passport controls which foreigners can register for, lets hope they go down this route, though there would be many hurdles.

This is one of the Thai announcements that I hope will actually come to fruition.

Edited by theoldgit

China has this system quite a while.

it's some limitations too. cos' it's in the early stage.

sometimes it doesn't work well.

you place a passport in its mouth and later it will vomit your an immigration form

with all your details on. Then you bring it to the counter to get a stamp.

maybe it's different , a bit

I haven't been to the new airport yet, so please excuse this question: Will this be 'installation' or 'replacement' ?

Replacing some of the Immigration Officers with machines.

I think Rubl was referring to the air conditioning system ... :lol:

Whilst this is good news for everybody I'm not very confident that "the system will go live at the end of the year" is a very realistic time scale. They are only just drawing up the terms of reference and Technical specifications for the bidding process, the prospective bidders have then got to put together their bids, a bid team will need to assess the bids, looking out for such things as competence and reliability, cost of installation and running costs and tea money, a preferred bidder will need to be selected and then further negotiations will take place. No way is all that going to happen in seven months, that said, I wish them well.

I suspect this will mainly benefit Thai passport holders, though his should free up more Immigration Officers to deal with none Thai passport holders.

Other countries have automatic passport controls which foreigners can register for, lets hope they go down this route, though there would be many hurdles.

This is one of the Thai announcements that I hope will actually come to fruition.

There has been a bidding process already for the equipment it seems. The OP says "more than 76 million baht have been invested for the installation of an automatic passport inspection system. Eight machines will be installed at the arrival section and another eight at the departure section." Still with area preparation, installation, testing, etc., etc. only a 'proper' planning might see a successful opening of the service around the end of the year. Just in time for a chaos in high-season as well ;)

YES

YES

You've been in Thailand too long :D

The airport expects the system to go online at the end of the year.

And then be offline and out of service within a couple months thereafter either because of faulty contracting and acquisition practices and/or the inability of local staff to service and maintain the equipment.

If it's similar to the one that is in use at the immigration at Changi airport in Singapore, it should be pretty quick. But at Changi it's used for local residents only, just recently they enabled workpass holders to use the automated checkpoint with a passport. So any visitors still needs to have their passports checked.

Last April when I left the country it took me almost 30 minuets to go through immigration. I don't know anything about 25 seconds. It was not that short of a time with the immigration officer either. There has got to be a better system other than looking for 500 bhat overstay.:annoyed:

YES

You've been in Thailand too long :D

I agree with you, I was joking as I knew your question would be answered quickly, but my answer was in fact correct.

I'm amazed that a country with some of the lowest salaries in the world is bothered to spend that kind of money on a computer system that probably won't work in the foreseeable future anyway.

This issue of lack of immigration staff was on Thai channel 3 three months ago. The problem was: there was literally not enough immigration staff. Why can't they recruit more? Because the Thai government no longer allows for extra immigration staff and it does not allow sub-contractors to do this immigration work for some reasons.

And their ultimate solution is that it is easier despite costlier to install automatic immigration machines.

For me I think it will only benefit Thai and ASEAN passport holders. I just hope that they will let frequent passengers enroll into the program similarly to Hong Kong Airport.

What a waste of money! To me it sounds way too expensive! I guess that half of that money will be returned right into somebodys pockets.

Why not just install 8 more immigration booths and a sufficient number of cheap officials? They will need more officials anyway, to help people using the machines! Ohhh - I just forgot, that then there would not be loads of money, to be returned to somebodys pockets :whistling: .

The new machines will probably be out of order most of the time anyway, but at least somebody is trying to solve the problem.

Should implement for Thai nationals and work permit holders only. Tourists can wait.

Manchester U.K. have the said machine but at the time I used it, an officer said it was for British Passports only. But maybe for all now.

A quick search of "automatic passport inspection systems" brings up this link which gives a good indication how the system will work.

Basically, it needs biometric passports. Thailand has issued biometric passports since 2005, but I don't think to everyone.

Most nations have issued biometric or smart chip passports since 2005 / 2006. Where the issues will come in to play is with those folks such as myself who have older issued passports that are not due to expire for a few more years yet.

45 seconds per person? More like three minutes at least.

Again, as many people have been saying, this looks like it's all about Thai travellers, who may well normally get past the miserable sods in 45 seconds because of no arrival & departure cards, etc

Edited by spr&q

45 seconds per person? More like three minutes at least.

Again, as many people have been saying, this looks like it's all about Thai travellers, who may well normally get past the miserable sods in 45 seconds because of no arrival & departure cards, etc

Yes they do. They just do it the other way around.