Moving Across The Road...

Hi everyone,

Just yesterday me and my girlfriend decided to do a bit of flat-hunting. We've both been interested to see what's available within our price range, and also went looking on behalf of a friend, too. Just recently a new block of condos has gone up opposite my soi, and for a while I've been interested to see inside them. Yesterday we did, and both fell in love with it a little. It's a nice view over Samut Prakan area, and seems like it'd make a good home once all the furnishings are in.

About the place: It's a 38 square meter apartment - nicely laid out with the kitchen next to the front door as you walk in. The bathroom is a good size, with nice modern touches. The living room is nice, and the bedroom has a lot of light from the sliding doors for the (small) balcony and the large window that provides the view. It's basically a walk-through - you go from the front door, through the living room and into the bedroom at the end. The only natural light is from the windows in the bedroom, but I don't foresee that being a huge problem, since I'm the only one there during daylight hours in the week, my girlfriend doesn't get home until around 7.

They want 10,000 baht per month for this place, which is going to be fully furnished with a TV, sofa, bed, wardrobe, etc (we already own a fridge). The reason we are looking is because at the moment we are in a studio apartment (a room) which we have grown to love but which we feel creates tension when we want to escape each other without leaving home.

A few things concern me. The rent is a lot more than we are paying now. I like going out to eat every night because it gets me out of the room, and I enjoy being in places with other people, but living here and paying this rent means that we'll have to cook at home regularly to justify having a kitchen. It's not the cooking that bothers me, it's the not going out. I'm wondering if I can handle this change in lifestyle (I don't go out and drink, I just mean this regularly leaving the room and eating at restaurants). Also, can I justify paying the extra money just for a nicer place?

Are there any tips for me? I've never been too good at change (despite moving from the UK to Thailand!) and it's concerning me that I'll be stuck indoors all the time if I'm eating meals at home more. Any advice, any words of wisdom?

Thanks all.

My lounge is 36m2, I can't imagine squeezing a bedroom and bathroom into the available space and still being able to move, but it does sound like it's significantly bigger than the place you're in.

My concern is that the natural light and view is in the room you'll only be using at night, probably would have been better to have the bedroom at the door end of the place, assuming it's about 10x4m you could probably do that. Too late now (and it's a renter anyway).

My lounge is 36m2, I can't imagine squeezing a bedroom and bathroom into the available space and still being able to move, but it does sound like it's significantly bigger than the place you're in.

My concern is that the natural light and view is in the room you'll only be using at night, probably would have been better to have the bedroom at the door end of the place, assuming it's about 10x4m you could probably do that. Too late now (and it's a renter anyway).

I never fancy a place where the bed is visible through the main door. Seems just a bigger hotel room.

The reason why so many new developments use this layout is 'maximum sales area' and not 'optimum quality of living'. And having the bedroom at the perimeter of the building with a sliding door separating the living area, means cutting off light and natural ventilation to the sofa/dining area.

I must admit it's not a huge living space, but it is a very nice layout - much like a hotel room with a better use of space for the kitchen and bedroom. I agree about the natural light concern, but to be honest I think that's something we could work out. The living room space is bigger, so if we did move in perhaps we could swap that around (use the back room as the living space), but it is a rented property so we don't have too much choice. The view is a big draw with this place, and being top floor and having roof space that will be used as a seating area for residents does have its draws, as well.

My concern at the moment is the price - it's just too much for us to justify paying. We're trying to get an offer in with the owner when she's available to speak with - we're thinking 8,000 baht a month and we'll provide our own internet and cable service. We think this is a pretty fair deal, and would be looking to stay there for 1 year minimum. But it is a nice place, near a BTS and it's going to be popular, so I'm not sure how this will go down. Being a young professional couple I hope this will work in our favour, but we'll see.

It sounds as if you may be working from home. You don't have to eat every time you go out in the evening. If you take this place, then make a point of going for an after dinner walk, window shopping at a local market or find a cheap gym. Will the new condo have any common areas such as a gym or pool? If so, they may help with your need to see other faces than your girlfriend's.