Homeless?

easyride

Having been away for a couple of days I just got back to the townhouse where I live to find the shutters down.

According to the taxi drivers opposite she's done a runner. They think it's a great hoot.

They seem to have known about it for weeks but of course I'm only a farang so don't warrant being being involved.

So, after 5 years and having six month's rent credit down the drain I'm left with a key.

My room is full of my clothes, TV, fridge, laptop, bed, blah, blah, blah.

Should I go to Soi 9 and watch the smiles there? What's the point? Thank you Thailand for screwing me yet again.

Thank f*** I've got my bankbook and passport with me.

Yes of course - assuming of course you have a contract for the place. A friend of mine had a similar situation not long ago. He went to Soi 9 and they told him it was a criminal offense for a landlord to prevent a tenant from accessing the property.

Don't forget to remain calm and smiling at all times ;)

Does the key you have not open the shutter's ??

The only paperwork were receipts for rent paid and the room was over a 24 hour internet shop so didn't need shutter keys.

I just can't see Soi 9 being sympathetic and has been said is my stuff still there? I'm going to get seriously pissed and hope I keep my decorum.

why not nip into see a lawyer, i use british law on 3rd road, english guy, he can can tell you if its civil or criminal, if criminal law soi 9 will help if you dont loose your decorum. of course that only applies if you live in soi 9 area of jusristiction.

why not nip into see a lawyer, i use british law on 3rd road, english guy, he can can tell you if its civil or criminal, if criminal law soi 9 will help if you dont loose your decorum. of course that only applies if you live in soi 9 area of jusristiction.

Some "English guy" is an expert on Thai property and criminal law? Is he licensed to practice law in Thailand...highly unlikely since that itself is unlawful. The name implies he may have some expertise in "British" law, whatever that is. English, Scottish, or Welsh law maybe but British law? Was his law office a beer-bar only last week :blink:

If your seriously homeless,and I mean no roof over your head ,there is a half finished project in Jomtien that may be OK ,I think something like Suan Something,its fully exposed,and being shared by quite a few homeless people as I write

Reading the info given here, it appears the OP still has access to his things and his dwelling. Therefore there has been no criminal or other offense committed. Going to Soi 9 or lawyers would seem to be premature.

A friend of mine had a similar experience about a year ago. He stayed living in the condo for the remainder of his lease, and there was never any issue.

Reading the info given here, it appears the OP still has access to his things and his dwelling. Therefore there has been no criminal or other offense committed. Going to Soi 9 or lawyers would seem to be premature.

As far as I am able to read from the above the OP does not have access to his dwelling or things. Where do you read that?

Quote '' So, after 5 years and having six month's rent credit down the drain I'm left with a key.

My room is full of my clothes, TV, fridge, laptop, bed, blah, blah, blah.'' End Quote

Above quote is written by the OP. If he has the key, and knows all his things are still in his room, I assume he has been there to know this.

Okay --- maybe incorrect interpretation ---

Some "English guy" is an expert on Thai property and criminal law? Is he licensed to practice law in Thailand...highly unlikely since that itself is unlawful. The name implies he may have some expertise in "British" law, whatever that is. English, Scottish, or Welsh law maybe but British law? Was his law office a beer-bar only last week :blink:

I first started using this office about 3 years ago, so, no, it was not a beer-bar last week. There are a number of Thai lawyers working there. One of the best things about the English guy, IMHO, is his ability to explain the nuances in the way Thai law is actually practised. This can be quite subtle sometimes, and can vary slightly in different parts of Thailand (not the law --- the way it is practiced). In my experience the office has been efficient and expedient.

>>Quote '' So, after 5 years and having six month's rent credit down the drain I'm left with a key.<<

He has the key to his room ,but not to the shutters .He is not sure if his belongings are still there .

That was how I understood it as well.

You've got nothing further to lose by going to the police. Why not try it and see? As said, though, have a smile at all times. Not sure what clothes you have, but dress nicely and be respectful of the police.

A friend of mine had a similar experience about a year ago. He stayed living in the condo for the remainder of his lease, and there was never any issue.

Try reading it again....:rolleyes:

To the OP, definitely go to the police station, take a Thai speaker with you to explain (don't rely on those useless foreign police volunteers, most of them don't even speak Thai).

Once explained succinctly, they will either assist with a locksmith or break in for you. If you are lucky she may have left some of your underwear that she didn't take a fancy to :whistling:

There are some foreigners that have gained Thai Citezenship and practised law in Thailand for many years

Why the snide remarks? Does it bolster you and compensate for any feelings of inadequacy?

British Law have displayed a large poster on 3rd Road that is hard to miss seeing ever since I can remember and I've been here for over a decade. I, and I assume most others, would interpret the display of the sign as the name of a legal consultancy whose target market is British ex-pats and/or visitors. I suggest that most would think that there isn't much call for professionals practicing UKlaw in Thailand. NALAK stated that an English guy (note the absence of quote marks) could tell him whether a Thai civil or criminal law had been breached. That hardly constitutes practicing Law. As has since been pointed out, the practicing lawyers are Thai and it may be safely assumed that, following many other Thai law practices, they employ knowledgeable farangs to act as front men since the more accurate communication with clients that accrues is likely to be a benefit all parties.

Quote :- Is he licensed to practice law in Thailand...highly unlikely since that itself is unlawful. Unquote. Since nit picking seems to be the flavour of the month, it is not unlawful to practice law in Thailand if you have a licence. My understanding is that practicing law is a reserved occupation and foreigners and aliens are disbarred from obtaining a licence. Since the reputation of Thai lawyers is right up there with RTP, this may not be a bad thing.

where did i state he was an expert in criminal law? as is stated in another post the office is there to see, does work permits, divorce etc all i said was he could advise on its is criminal or civil. your just one of those people who cant wait to jump in with both feet to try and ridicule other peoples posts, and by doing so make many people not post.

Edited by NALAK

as you can see office and no not bar last week, also you may see legal advice given

post-53164-0-66390400-1307116173_thumb.j

Ok! lets see if I got this right! You lived there for 5 years and just recently paid up 6 months rent. (first post) It's a "room" over a 24 hour Internet Shop. (second post) Which implies you had to go through the store to get to your room. Correct? Then you left for awhile, came back and the owner "closed up shop" by pulling down the outside shutters and locking them. Thereby locking you out. Correct?

Good LUCK...

Edited by Rimmer
Unsubstantiated, we dont know the circumstance at all

if your rent is fully paid up then force your way in as you still live there, open the shutters by whatever means and continue your paid rental term while looking out for a new place.....................simple

Christ..........where would you go if this would happen in your home country? Right.........asap to the police.

Get a Thai person and move down to Soi 9.

Explain the situation and get a bib to accompany you to your room and get a locksmith down there to gain access to the building. Do this only with the bib present!!

You might have to pay the bib, and for sure you have to pay the locksmith.

If anything is missing from your personal belongings, file a report. In the shop (which may be abandoned) police may find a possible address or copy of owners ID.