Guitar Strings In Chiang Mai

Drew Aitch

Hi Forum

If there's anyone reading this who knows of the most competitive shop in CM for buying acoustic guitar strings, then please let me know ;) I understand that the cost of living has gone up on all goods of late, but today i almost fell of my perch to find that my D'Addario Lights now have an asking price of around 70% more than just 6 months ago :(

Previous cost was just 265 B for a set, yet today's price is 450 B. If this is the same everywhere, then I'll just swallow the increase and buy the bloody things. Heck i might even boil the buggers a couple of times before buying a new set next time :lol:

Oh, and if there are any bored 'non-musicians' who think this might be a good post to jump in and warn about the perils of foreigners playing music in Chiang Mai, may i suggest you sod off and find a nice food thread to hijack? Thanks :jap:

Aitch

Have you considered the hazards of strumming in public places...?

Oh well, just kidding. Though I am a drummer, I recently bought replacement strings for my kid's acoustic guitars and I remember having paid 30B and 40B for two strings. I went to the music shop on Charoen Prathet road, opposite of the Chedi hotel (near the Thanon Sri Donchai corner).

Cheers, CMX

Thanks for the replies guys.

So, I now have a couple of additional outlets to look at :) I didn't think of Big C to be honest, so that should be interesting. However, if i find that other places reflect the new price then I'll not waste too much time shopping around and just begrudgingly accept the increase ;) I just thought that a raise of some 200 Baht on something that only cost 265 B not so long ago was a bit steep, that's all.

Aitch

This is how it all starts.

First they buy a set of guitar strings. Then they attach these to a guitar. Then the next thing they begin playing the guitar and before you know it they have broken Thai law and end up in jail.

My advice is; don`t do it. Stay on the straight and narrow otherwise sooner or later these petty crimes will progress onto piano playing or worst still, fall into the hardened criminal element of forming a band.

Just in case anyone might be interested, i found the strings today at the old price of just 265 Baht. The shop is the music store along the moat heading out of town and before you get to the Chang Puek Gate (sorry, don't know the name).

Cheers

Aitch

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone might be interested, i found the strings today at the old price of just 265 Baht. The shop is the music store along the moat heading out of town and before you get to the Chang Puek Gate (sorry, don't know the name).

Cheers

Aitch

Help me out Drew. So... we're talking inside the moat ? That wouldn't exactly be heading out of town yet. Or do you mean outside the moat ? Like between the computer places and the food carts ? Don't remember seeing any music shops there. I know there are quite a few shops after Chang Puak, but they also sell helmets and raincoats, etc. Give me a couple more clues, please, 'cause I wanna go.