A Farang Living In Thailand

Beetlejuice

When you farangs finally are going to understand the situation? You are tolerated, never accepted for only and only one reason: you spend a lot of money in Thailand.

I do business with Thailand since 1976, lived in Thailand from 93-95, but NEVER it will be my home land. Police will try to rob you, taxi drivers swindle you, never you will be allowed to have your own house on a piece of land, and any voting right.. IMPOSSIBLE.

In my home country, Netherlands, we had in last government two deputy ministers of Turkish and Maroccan birth, now 8 members in parlement out of the 150 with a double nationality, the mayor of Rotterdam is Maroccan born. Can you imagine, the deputy-assistent-reserve mayor of any Thai village being NOT Thai ? Even a clerk ?

To get a non-immigrant visa to be Thai among the Thais: earlier Thailand will be covered by snow and ice. Go out, for dinner or whatsoever, and the Thais will chat all evening in Thai, leaving you to keep your chair warm. Only at the end of the evening, they will remember you, when the bill has to be taken up.

My 35 years experience: a farang is seen by the very strong narcistic Thai only as money spitting trash.

If you have 35 years of experience of dealing with Thai people, lived here for 2-3 years and cannot join in a conversation in Thai then I think it's quite clear why you would never feel "accepted".

Having said that, I don't understand people who moan about not being accepted. Accepted as what exactly? Those who complain that they will never be considered as Thai are even more incomprehensible. Take a look in the mirror - do you look Thai?

When you farangs finally are going to understand the situation? You are tolerated, never accepted for only and only one reason: you spend a lot of money in Thailand.

I do business with Thailand since 1976, lived in Thailand from 93-95, but NEVER it will be my home land. Police will try to rob you, taxi drivers swindle you, never you will be allowed to have your own house on a piece of land, and any voting right.. IMPOSSIBLE.

In my home country, Netherlands, we had in last government two deputy ministers of Turkish and Maroccan birth, now 8 members in parlement out of the 150 with a double nationality, the mayor of Rotterdam is Maroccan born. Can you imagine, the deputy-assistent-reserve mayor of any Thai village being NOT Thai ? Even a clerk ?

To get a non-immigrant visa to be Thai among the Thais: earlier Thailand will be covered by snow and ice. Go out, for dinner or whatsoever, and the Thais will chat all evening in Thai, leaving you to keep your chair warm. Only at the end of the evening, they will remember you, when the bill has to be taken up.

My 35 years experience: a farang is seen by the very strong narcistic Thai only as money spitting trash.

If you have 35 years of experience of dealing with Thai people, lived here for 2-3 years and cannot join in a conversation in Thai then I think it's quite clear why you would never feel "accepted".

Having said that, I don't understand people who moan about not being accepted. Accepted as what exactly? Those who complain that they will never be considered as Thai are even more incomprehensible. Take a look in the mirror - do you look Thai?

Good post, inthepink. There are some very good reasons why Thailand has the laws they do about land ownership. New Zealand has similar laws for specific areas. That is why the average Kiwi can still go hiking along any river or access any lake in the country. YOu can't do that in US states like Wyoming or Texas. Wealthy people bought all the land. A small nation is vulnerable to wealthy foreign nations that could basically BUY their country. I've heard reports that Bill Gates could buy most small countries with his own personal wealth. I've seen problems right in my home country of Canada because we DON'T have laws against foreign ownership. Large, foreign oil companies own huge tracts of land in Canada and can do pretty much what they feel like doing. Huge land grants were given to foreign timber companies with the understanding that they would continue business. But, they raped the resource and shut down, but they still retain property ownership. Then there are all the wealthy Chinese immigrants who bought up large chunks of Vancouver and Toronto realestate which in turn caused a huge price increase to a point where the average Canadian citizen can no longer buy a home. There is more to the problem of foreign ownership than what might first appear.

I live right in the middle of the tourist disrict of Chiang Mai and am old, overweight, unattractive and dress badly, but I am polite to every Thai who is polite to me and I do not seem to have any of these problems. In fact, I am mostly treated much better than I would be at home.

I still say that most of the posters who are bitter and full of hate about the Thais are either very bad judges of character and have trusted the wrong people or are doing something to earn the bad karma that is making them so unhappy here.

Yes and these same people who complain about Thailand where probably complaining about there home country before they left. When I read post by people who think going to immigration is degrading and the worst experience if their life. I have to wonder what the rest of their life must be like.

In 6 months we should do a poll and find out how many of the complainers are still here since it is such a miserable place to live.

Stop blaming your misersble exisistence on Thais have a real look at yourselves first.

Good post, inthepink. There are some very good reasons why Thailand has the laws they do about land ownership. New Zealand has similar laws for specific areas. That is why the average Kiwi can still go hiking along any river or access any lake in the country. YOu can't do that in US states like Wyoming or Texas. Wealthy people bought all the land. A small nation is vulnerable to wealthy foreign nations that could basically BUY their country. I've heard reports that Bill Gates could buy most small countries with his own personal wealth. I've seen problems right in my home country of Canada because we DON'T have laws against foreign ownership. Large, foreign oil companies own huge tracts of land in Canada and can do pretty much what they feel like doing. Huge land grants were given to foreign timber companies with the understanding that they would continue business. But, they raped the resource and shut down, but they still retain property ownership. Then there are all the wealthy Chinese immigrants who bought up large chunks of Vancouver and Toronto realestate which in turn caused a huge price increase to a point where the average Canadian citizen can no longer buy a home. There is more to the problem of foreign ownership than what might first appear.

Thanks Ian. I'm ambivalent about land ownership and immigration policies because I think they can help to create a vibrant economy, especially in the rapidly aging societies that are a feature of countries in the West (and soon will be on this side of the Globe too). However, I don't really care about them. I've only been here for 8 years, and I've had to apply for several different types of visa during that period in order to be able to stay here legally. The odd days here and there spent dealing with paperwork are not a big problem though. At the moment I'm on a multi-entry visa so I have to take a trip to a neighbouring country every 90 days, hardly a hardship given the destinations that I can choose from. I've always been of the opinion that Thai people have created thousands of regulations that come in handy if they want to eject undesirables but for the most part they are ignored, so there's no need to get steamed up about them.

Most of the people I've encountered that moan about land ownership, don't have the resources to buy land anyway, it's just the concept that bothers them I guess. As for being accepted, I agree with Ulysess and yourself really. I never expected to integrate completely and have no desire to. I didn't fit in all that well with mainstream society in the UK and that didn't bother me either. In fact, it would have bothered me more if I did! I'm not a fan of stereotyping people on the basis of their nationality. I've met lots of idiots and a***holes from a wide variety of countries, and some great people from places I might have had a bad opinion about previously. Thailand is no exception.

It's a trite piece of advice but, treat people how you would like them to treat you and you will find that most of the time, they are fine. I've only ever had 2 or 3 taxi drivers try to rip me off, paid the odd small fine to the police for offences I committed (only motoring offences I must add!) and been treated to meals and many, many drinks by Thai people so my experiences have been completely different to those of puipuitom.

Edited by inthepink

Thanks Ian. I'm ambivalent about land ownership and immigration policies because I think they can help to create a vibrant economy, especially in the rapidly aging societies that are a feature of countries in the West (and soon will be on this side of the Globe too). However, I don't really care about them. I've only been here for 8 years, and I've had to apply for several different types of visa during that period in order to be able to stay here legally. The odd days here and there spent dealing with paperwork are not a big problem though. At the moment I'm on a multi-entry visa so I have to take a trip to a neighbouring country every 90 days, hardly a hardship given the destinations that I can choose from. I've always been of the opinion that Thai people have created thousands of regulations that come in handy if they want to eject undesirables but for the most part they are ignored, so there's no need to get steamed up about them.

Most of the people I've encountered that moan about land ownership, don't have the resources to buy land anyway, it's just the concept that bothers them I guess. As for being accepted, I agree with Ulysess and yourself really. I never expected to integrate completely and have no desire to. I didn't fit in all that well with mainstream society in the UK and that didn't bother me either. In fact, it would have bothered me more if I did! I'm not a fan of stereotyping people on the basis of their nationality. I've met lots of idiots and a***holes from a wide variety of countries, and some great people from places I might have had a bad opinion about previously. Thailand is no exception.

It's a trite piece of advice but, treat people how you would like them to treat you and you will find that most of the time, they are fine. I've only ever had 2 or 3 taxi drivers try to rip me off, paid the odd small fine to the police for offences I committed (only motoring offences I must add!) and been treated to meals and many, many drinks by Thai people so my experiences have been completely different to those of puipuitom.

You must be mixing with a v strange set of ex-pats if they don't have the resources to buy land :whistling:!

Having said that, I agree entirely with the Thai viewpoint that Thai land belongs to Thais. I only wish my home country had a similar policy.

That's a bit pedantic F1fanatic . . . land prices in Thailand aren't necessarily cheap across the board any more!

Have to disagree. If you're looking for beachfront land on Phuket, then you need to be a millionaire. Even so, even on Phuket, INLAND is entirely affordable for anyone with a reasonable amount of money behind them.

BUT, its irrelevent IMO. The Thais are right - Thai land should belong to the Thais.

You must be mixing with a v strange set of ex-pats if they don't have the resources to buy land

Foreign residents without hundreds of thousands or millions of baht of disposable income are very strange?

That's the sort of comment that says quite a lot about the person who would make it.

You must be mixing with a v strange set of ex-pats if they don't have the resources to buy land :whistling:!

Having said that, I agree entirely with the Thai viewpoint that Thai land belongs to Thais. I only wish my home country had a similar policy.

Mixing with a strange group of expats? No, I don't think so. I don't have a regular circle of friends where I'm living at the moment but judging by the people I've met over the years, most of them are not in a position to buy up large tracts of land. Some of the most vociferous opponents of land ownership laws that I've met were teachers and certainly did not have the wherewithal to buy land or property. If you're refrerring to retired expats then I'm sure that most of them could afford a small patch of land in a rural location, but even this group includes a fair amount of economic refugees, in my experience.

If you believe that the majority of Westerners that settle in Thailand are wealthy individuals then I think you are very much mistaken

Edited by inthepink

You must be mixing with a v strange set of ex-pats if they don't have the resources to buy land

Foreign residents without hundreds of thousands or millions of baht of disposable income are very strange?

That's the sort of comment that says quite a lot about the person who would make it.

I don't think it does.

Most of us have hundreds of thousands of assets, but we choose to spend it on things other than land in Thailand. Most of us, anyway. I forget the value of my pitiful pensions, but they would still be sufficient to buy the land necessary to stick a corrugated iron shack on, if I chose so to do. But due to the constraints on investment here, and a lack of faith in the rule of law, I prefer to invest in slums in the Old Country. I exaggerate. One slum. Actually, apart from our building, the street is quite nice...

SC

EDIT: The people who would really benefit from a relaxation of the land ownership laws would be those that currently own the land, who could sell it at far higher prices; though in fact, perhaps the loopholes are such that foreign ownership is de facto possible at present; but a firmer legal footing would be bound to increase prices. The people who would lose out include foreigners with trustworthy wives, who would now have to put up with the higher prices, and hard-working Thai peasants and proletarians trying to pull themselves into the middle classes and invest in assets. Though even they would benefit from improved marketability of the assets they invested in, and would probably benefit from the influx of world-class competition in the property development market, just as Carrefour and Tesco have made Western retail excellence available to the Thai masses at affordable prices

Edited by StreetCowboy

If you don't have hundreds of thousands (let alone millions) of baht, you really should not be here - unless you have a job.

It actually says more about you than me....

If you don't have hundreds of thousands (let alone millions) of baht, you really should not be here - unless you have a job.

You could be a student, like my bairns

SC

Mixing with a strange group of expats? No, I don't think so. I don't have a regular circle of friends where I'm living at the moment but judging by the people I've met over the years, most of them are not in a position to buy up large tracts of land. Some of the most vociferous opponents of land ownership laws that I've met were teachers and certainly did not have the wherewithal to buy land or property. If you're refrerring to retired expats then I'm sure that most of them could afford a small patch of land in a rural location, but even this group includes a fair amount of economic refugees, in my experience.

If you believe that the majority of Westerners that settle in Thailand are wealthy individuals then I think you are very much mistaken

I've lived here for around 6 years, am not a teacher and paid a fortune for a 30 year lease on a 1 rai tract of land in a 'desirable' area of Phuket - but not beachfront...

When we retired here we were not 'wealthy' in Western terms - but 'comfortable'.

Anybody who expects to stay here on a 'shoestring' is not wanted by the Thai govt, and understandably.

I've lived here for around 6 years, am not a teacher and paid a fortune for a 30 year lease on a 1 rai tract of land in a 'desirable' area of Phuket - but not beachfront...

When we retired here we were not 'wealthy' in Western terms - but 'comfortable'.

Anybody who expects to stay here on a 'shoestring' is not wanted by the Thai govt, and understandably.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative but I can't see the relevance of your reply. I wasn't referring to you particularly and one person is a very small sample. What I was trying to say was that I have met many Westerners during the time that I have lived In Thailand (Bangkok, Nakhon Sawan and Chiang Mai) and most of them were not in a position to buy land. Now, I don't frequent the Bamboo Bar when I'm in Bangkok but I do visit a variety of places and I've seen a fair cross-section of foreigners. I would say that 80% of foreginers in Thailand are not financially secure, judging from those I have met.

Of course there are those that could afford land, I never said otherwise. What I did say was that it didn't bother me either way. I can put land in my partner's name and the end result is the same.

That's a bit pedantic F1fanatic . . . land prices in Thailand aren't necessarily cheap across the board any more!

Have to disagree. If you're looking for beachfront land on Phuket, then you need to be a millionaire. Even so, even on Phuket, INLAND is entirely affordable for anyone with a reasonable amount of money behind them.

BUT, its irrelevent IMO. The Thais are right - Thai land should belong to the Thais.

Funny quite recently someone posted pictures of land he bought.. BEACH FRONT

4 hrs from bangkok, close to a resort..

ahem..

1 rai for ~1million baht.

edit: reading comprehension FAIL on my part. sorry haha

Edited by seriouseats

Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative but I can't see the relevance of your reply. I wasn't referring to you particularly and one person is a very small sample. What I was trying to say was that I have met many Westerners during the time that I have lived In Thailand (Bangkok, Nakhon Sawan and Chiang Mai) and most of them were not in a position to buy land. Now, I don't frequent the Bamboo Bar when I'm in Bangkok but I do visit a variety of places and I've seen a fair cross-section of foreigners. I would say that 80% of foreginers in Thailand are not financially secure, judging from those I have met.

Of course there are those that could afford land, I never said otherwise. What I did say was that it didn't bother me either way. I can put land in my partner's name and the end result is the same.

Anyone that can't afford a 30 year 'lease' on non-beachfront land, really shouldn't be here. Land is cheap, as long as its not beachfront or, in Phuket, sea-view.

The Westerners with a job - fair enough.

Always good though to know that a partner (g/f) can put the land in her name :lol:.

But very many of the farang here are relatively asset-rich and could easily afford to invest in landed property here, even if they were not "financially secure" by our own standards. I could send the bairns to a local school and buy a couple of slum apartments or a small holding in Isaan every year instead. But I choose not to do so, as I think an international education is a better investment. A lean-to in the boondocks is a lot cheaper than the trailer-park hard standings that many of the less-well-off expats here could aspire to were they eking out their pitiful existence in their home countries instead of blighting or blessing this beautiful country with their presence.

SC

Or my gfs name, she happy to do it for you.

Completely trustworthy as is everyone's gf/wife/partner in Thailand.

I know nothing of your personal circumstances but yes, my partner is 100% trustworthy.

I know nothing of your personal circumstances but yes, my partner is 100% trustworthy.

I've missed my family, I've missed my flights, but is there anything as funny as a missed joke? Certainly funnier than a missed period... Here's a few, just in case . . .

SC

I've missed my family, I've missed my flights, but is there anything as funny as a missed joke? Certainly funnier than a missed period... Here's a few, just in case . . .

SC

I'm really sorry if I mised the joke I don't think that stereotyping Thai girls based on very limited personal experiences is very funny. I think it's sad.

EDIT: I didn't actually miss the joke, I just thought it was too pathetic to acknowledge.

Edited by inthepink

Lots of people are honest, but who knows how anyone will be when they are truly desperate... like not knowing where their next meal is coming from. It's like a person on drugs. They might be perfectly okay providing they are receiving their medication, but go completely crazy when they don't get it.

I continually hear the old story that bar girls are all crooks and only out for your money. BUT, I know a young Thai woman who works in a bar and she is scrupulously honest. She handles her bosses cash drawer every day and there is never a baht missing. I've loaned her 5000 baht so she could go home to see her mother and she paid me back. I accidently left my jacket at the bar one night and it had my wallet containing a lot of cash in one of the pockets. She found it at closing time and phoned me. Then she dropped it off on her way home. She didn't take a thing but she could just as easily said she never saw it. I've loaned her my motorbike when she needed it and it always came back in one piece. She's a nice kid, but who knows how she might react if she got truly desperate and needed money. I believe it is the same with most people.

SC

I'm really sorry if I mised the joke I don't think that stereotyping Thai girls based on very limited personal experiences is very funny. I think it's sad.

EDIT: I didn't actually miss the joke, I just thought it was too pathetic to acknowledge.

I think the attempt at humour was to offer the previous poster, and his partner, as trustworthy accomplices, as a blatant attempt to defraud the innocent forum subscriber, insinuating that other farang, with the tacit assistance of their 'other halves' were scurrilous villains, not that your own sweet wife and my girlfriend was a villain (JOKE!!! - I probably don't even know you, or who your wife is!)

SC

First of all we aren't talking about me.

Secondly, who said anything about jobs or not having one? You said expats that "don't have the resources to buy land". Clearly having a job doesn't mean necessarily mean you have the resources to buy land nor does not having one mean that you don't; I know some expats that do and some who don't have such resources, some of them have jobs. Some of them no longer nee to work. None of them would I call "very strange" -- and I can't imagine calling anyone "very strange" based on how much money they do or don't have.

That doesn't make any sense -- how can what you said about random people that you don't even know and in fact only imagine, and who have nothing to do with me, say more about me than you?

And what is it that you think is said about me (if that were even possible)? I don't have the repulsively elitist attitude that you seemingly do? I'm no so completely out of touch that I don't think every Expat is in the same economic circumstances as me and if they aren't, they must be very strange -- as you seem to be (out of touch, that is)? I'm not as shockingly arrogant and judgmental as you apparently are?

Well yes, that much is true I think...

EDIT for TYPOs/SYNTAX

Edited by SteeleJoe

SC

I think the attempt at humour was to offer the previous poster, and his partner, as trustworthy accomplices, as a blatant attempt to defraud the innocent forum subscriber, insinuating that other farang, with the tacit assistance of their 'other halves' were scurrilous villains, not that your own sweet wife and my girlfriend was a villain (JOKE!!! - I probably don't even know you, or who your wife is!)

SC

I think I've had too much to drink. I had to read your post 3 or 4 times before I understood it! I also read the previous post and realised that you were right - I missed the joke...Sorry, I have nobody to blame but myself.

@Olaf - sorry to you too - my brain is malfunctioning tonight.

Edited by inthepink

I agree with you.

The 20 rai of land in our family belongs to my wife and will in time belong to our son.

I have no interest in it other than to live here for the rest of my life.

When I was born I brought nothing with me but the hopes and wishes of my parents and my brother and when I die I cannot take anything with me any way.

I would hope to live on in my families memories and that of my friends and if that doesn't happen then I won't know about it anyway.

We own and hold land for our children's future and not for ourselves as we only use it during our lifetime.

If it all fell apart for me in my family I will leave everything to them and walk away thinking what a great time I had with them while I could.

I agree with you.

The 20 rai of land in our family belongs to my wife and will in time belong to our son.

I have no interest in it other than to live here for the rest of my life.

When I was born I brought nothing with me but the hopes and wishes of my parents and my brother and when I die I cannot take anything with me any way.

I would hope to live on in my families memories and that of my friends and if that doesn't happen then I won't know about it anyway.

We own and hold land for our children's future and not for ourselves as we only use it during our lifetime.

If it all fell apart for me in my family I will leave everything to them and walk away thinking what a great time I had with them while I could.

That pretty much sums it up, Billd. I own a big home in Canada and I don't even think of it as mine. It's just my children and grand children's inheritance. I'm only occupying it while I'm alive.

|I don't have money to walk away every 5 years and do again.

Friend just do this after 12 years, he relationship last unusual long time.