Biggest Differance

trebor1970

Hi All

I just want to know everyone's comments on the biggest reason to live or not to live in Thailand with my future Thai Wife

As i am not sure it will be for me.

I have been to Thailand 3-4 times but only visiting not living there

Thanks

^

If that's the case we might as well close the forum since most things have been discussed to death before already.

To answer the OP for me work would be one of the reasons not to live in Thailand with my wife because I can't make the same money in Thailand that I make outside of Thailand.

i think you have answerd your own question. If you are thinking it might not be for you after short visits Then it's unlikely you will settle.

My longest stint was 9 months and that was too long for me.

Depending where you are planing to live that could play a big part. I was out in the sticks and bored out of my skull

We are now back in the Uk

No it's not for me others may get on and enjoy the life, but horses for courses.

OK. To repeat old ground.... Thailand is beautiful and still cheaper than the UK as long as you don't need UK food. If you do, its more expensive.

Its also far easier to find a g/f, in fact its impossible not to find one hell of a lot of far younger girls that find you incredibly attractive. They are interested purely in your money, but who cares?

OK. To repeat old ground.... Thailand is beautiful and still cheaper than the UK as long as you don't need UK food. If you do, its more expensive.

See we are back to basing a major life decision on the price of spagetti sauce...:rolleyes:

OP appears you have made your desicion already...

for me i guess it comes down to the fact that i have more chance of having at least one conversation a day in English whilst living in Thailand, than say i do living in my home country.

i kid you not !

Polish smoked sausage anyone ? biggrin.gif

How old are you and how old is your wife?

how did you meet ? on the internet, or on one of your holidays ?,

is she from Isaan?

how much are you sending to Thailand every month currently?

And the most important question...does her family have a herd of buffalos ?

:whistling: :whistling:

I am 41 my wife is 33

she has a full time job in Thailand

I will either look for work or start up a business

Thanks

At 33 she is no longer attractive to Thai men (especially if she has children - and I'll bet that she does...).

You could be lucky, or more likely you will find yourself in a world of trouble

Edit- don't think that 'finding work' is easy - its not. Most work is 'ring-fenced' as Thai occupations.

Edited by F1fanatic

It all depends on money.

If you do decide to live in Thailand with a family, be prepared to have to support your family forever more, have enough money to survive without working and even more money to top up your savings or income in the future. And not forgetting being able to keep the smiles on the faces of our old chums at Immigration.

If you do not have a truck full of money in savings or a guaranteed income to support yourself and a family in Thailand, then all your questions are purely academic.

No one can really answer the question, what are the differences between Thailand and the UK.?

This is something people must experience first hand and then decide for themselves.

She has no children, i not sure if i'm just being stupid as i would have to give up my house, job and nicer things in life just to go and try and live out in another country.

But i would love to give it a go.

That's what I thought when I moved here 7 years ago. I'm also about the same age as you. If you see yourself as having a normal monogamous relationship with your wife and not frequenting bars I would seriously say to think very carefully. You do not fall into the average category of 'old with young wife' who normally thrive here.

She has no children, i not sure if i'm just being stupid as i would have to give up my house, job and nicer things in life just to go and try and live out in another country.

But i would love to give it a go.

Instead of you giving it a go here, why doesnt she give it a go in the UK first. ?....cant believe you are even considering giving up a job and house and going to a country with very limited job prespects...

If you have plenty of cash in the bank to take a sabbatical in Thailand and if it doesnt work out you can go back to the UK and pick up life where you left off this one thing, but to give up everything in the UK ...??....:blink:

Personally think you are off your rocker...

To the OP, by age 41 you should be established in your career. Assuming the UK is similar to the US in career trajectory, you can expect your earnings to peak around age 48, although there are certainly exceptions. So, by decamping to Thailand you are sacrificing your peak earning years which can't be replaced. In most cases you will not be able to practice your profession in Thailand, for language reasons among others. If you consider starting a business, you would do so apparently without previous experience running a business and in a society that operates very differently from your own. What do you think your chances of success would be? Will you be able to figure out a successful business plan in such an alien environment before your money runs out? If a friend intending to follow that same plan came to you asking you to invest, would it seem like a prudent risk? Probably not, but if you go yourself you will be investing your whole future. On the other hand, if your wife were to relocate to the UK she would presumably become fluent in English, assuming that she is diligent and applies herself. If she later were to return to Thailand, English fluency might well enhance her employment prospects depending on her field of work.

From this point of view, relocating to Thailand at your age is a high-risk, low payoff proposition. By contrast, working in the UK for another 20 years with a view toward retiring to Thailand represents a low-risk, high payoff alternative. Unless you have some strong basis for expecting to beat the odds, why would you take such a bet?

One thing to consider is that if you bring her home there may be lots of younger, better looking, richer guys hitting on her. It is probably a lot cheaper if things go wrong here and not so much competition as we are mostly farang kee nok.

To the OP, by age 41 you should be established in your career. Assuming the UK is similar to the US in career trajectory, you can expect your earnings to peak around age 48, although there are certainly exceptions. So, by decamping to Thailand you are sacrificing your peak earning years which can't be replaced. In most cases you will not be able to practice your profession in Thailand, for language reasons among others. If you consider starting a business, you would do so apparently without previous experience running a business and in a society that operates very differently from your own. What do you think your chances of success would be? Will you be able to figure out a successful business plan in such an alien environment before your money runs out? If a friend intending to follow that same plan came to you asking you to invest, would it seem like a prudent risk? Probably not, but if you go yourself you will be investing your whole future. On the other hand, if your wife were to relocate to the UK she would presumably become fluent in English, assuming that she is diligent and applies herself. If she later were to return to Thailand, English fluency might well enhance her employment prospects depending on her field of work.

From this point of view, relocating to Thailand at your age is a high-risk, low payoff proposition. By contrast, working in the UK for another 20 years with a view toward retiring to Thailand represents a low-risk, high payoff alternative. Unless you have some strong basis for expecting to beat the odds, why would you take such a bet?

So true, so true for all the above and a thousand other reasons. Bank your cash while you are young with an eye to converting your assets to Thailand when you are an old duffer like me. Make sure your cash holds its value re Thai currency by investments and come on over when you are old enough to appreciate it. Everything in Thailand is weighted to the older expat from Visa's to whatever. It is simply easier.

It happens sometimes, but what if they fall in "love" again with a younger, richer, better looking guy when they see the attention they get overseas? It happens.

Guess you're right but then again wouldn't the same happen to the guy when he decides to move to Thailand?

Contrary to f1's quite biased post --- not all Thai's are after your money (my Thai bf makes more monthly here than I do ((this year)) and I do VERY well by Thai standards).

If the OP is serious about her then it comes down to here or there ..... It will probably be a tough adjustment for either of you. If you aren't seriously committed to the relationship then just let it "be what it is" until you are clear on what you want to do.

Other people pointing out the liabilities of moving here to earn $ are correct --- if your retirement isn't already assured then I would suggest thinking seriously about that as the top priority (with or without her!

How old are you and how old is your wife?

how did you meet ? on the internet, or on one of your holidays ?,

is she from Isaan?

how much are you sending to Thailand every month currently?

And the most important question...does her family have a herd of buffalos ?

:whistling: :whistling:

I thought the most important question would be how much sinsod did he pay :whistling:

Seriously though, You have talked about "giving up" things back home..and no disrespect to your situation, but i would not give up anything for the sake of Thailand. You will have very few rights EVEN when you are married to a Thai...having to report as if on probation, not being allowed to own anything in your own name...and if marriage end then you have no rights to stay in Thailand.

If you own your own house or are paying it off i would seriously not be selling up and having that sort of money laying around. Rent it out and use the income for a year or so and see how it goes.

Think of number one ALWAYS, especially in Thailand, You can be the provider for years for many a famiy but very few will be their to bail you out when you need help.

If your wifes family are of the northern direction and they know you have money they will chew you up and spit you out (err...well that is..chew your money up and spit you out :bah:)

for me i guess it comes down to the fact that i have more chance of having at least one conversation a day in English whilst living in Thailand, than say i do living in my home country.

i kid you not !

Polish smoked sausage anyone ? biggrin.gif

I was going to say "You're mad, polishing your sausage" and then I realised it was probably a euphemism, and you were just agreeing with F1 and highlighting one of the problems of living in the UK.

If you move to Thailand, your right arm may atrophy and drop off.

Spelling is quite different here, compared to the UK; here, you will be continually pulled up for deviant spelling, and also poor grammar.

Its warmer here, too.

The nights draw in quicker in the summer, and slower in the winter.

There's nothing but bloody English Premier League on the tv in pubs here.

Other than that, can't think of many differences.

They drive on the same side of the road, they love their royal family and the trains are crap.

SC

Just a thought.

Not too many of those in General please, you'll ruin its reputation.

OP, listen to the responses, but I hope you separate the wood from the trees, you asked for advice, but you do not need to heed it.

There is plenty of xenophobia (on all sides) here, particularly of a certain area, but you know, if you surround yourself with what you consider lower life forms, I would tend to look at the individual and not the whole as a group.

To give you a UK analogy, Branson and Sugar never took any risks in their business career did they? The only person who never made a mistake, was the person who never did anything in their life.

However, I am sure Sugar and Branson surrounded themselves with good advice and listed the pro's and con's ( that'll set off a run of puns, I'm sure ) set themselves up with a sound business plan and took relevant and specific advise that is not jaundiced by the 'this is not western culture', regime.

FWIW, you do appear to be a taking a 'Leap of Faith', do the research and planning and if the risks are something you can live with,

Good Luck.

Its also far easier to find a g/f, in fact its impossible not to find one hell of a lot of far younger girls that find you incredibly attractive. They are interested purely in your money, but who cares?

At 33 she is no longer attractive to Thai men (especially if she has children - and I'll bet that she does...).

You could be lucky, or more likely you will find yourself in a world of trouble

Edit- don't think that 'finding work' is easy - its not. Most work is 'ring-fenced' as Thai occupations.

Yup, and we all believe her.

If you believe her, then God help you...

A pint of bitterness anyone?:bah: