Thai Immigration Tightens Requirements For Retirement Visa Extensions

For whatever it's worth, a friend got his one year retirement extension today at Chonburi/Pattaya Immigration. He used the U.S. Embassy letter for income validation. Nothing was asked about verifying income or importing funds into Thailand. Here is his comment:

"It was a breeze. No bank book or bank letter was required. Only difference is they are now requiring 2 photos instead of 1"

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doctor, I'm not clear about one thing re your post above....

You're using the income method/consulate letter to qualify, meaning at least 65,000 baht in monthly income...

When you talk about providing bank book and bank statements to your local Immigration office that they regularly have asked you for, do you mean...

a. for Thai bank account(s) unrelated to the 65K, just showing you have some funds in Thai accounts.

or

b. the bank account(s) that document your 65,000 plus in monthly income, essentially the backup documents for your consular income letter.

(a) Just the passbook and copy thereof for my Thai savings account at TMB. This does however have a record of money coming into the account from abroad - although I seldom update it so the record is not really month by month. I suppose that Immigration could do some sums to confirm that what has come in over the course of a year is at least 780,000 Baht (12 x 65,000) but there is no indication that they actually do this.

A few years ago I asked an Immigration officer at Jompthien whether or not it was necessary to have some minimum amount in the account and was told 'just a few thousand Baht.' No indication at that time, or since, that the sum in the account has to correlate in any way with 65,000 Baht / month or 800,000 Baht / year or anything else. They just seem to want some evidence that money is flowing through the account.

I always assumed that a Thai bank account was necessary - in fact, historically, it had to be a savings account although maybe now there are other options. I was told this by Immigration some 6+ years ago when I first started doing extensions. I've continued to do the same as I always have done on the basis of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!'

Today, I went armed with the same evidence that I gave to the UK Consulate - P60s and UK Government Pension statements, as well as printouts from my UK and off-shore bank accounts - just in case they were asked for. In the event, nothing was different from previous years and the Immigration officer - the lady that sits at the desk behind desk 5, for those of you familiar with Jompthien - just did her calculation based on the figure given on my Embassy letter.

DM

I've just received my income certification letter from the UK Honorary Consulate in Jompthien, as I have for the last several years. I provided them with the normal evidence of income which, in my case, derives from an occupational pension and also from the UK State Pension. No problem but I notice a subtle, or maybe not so subtle, change in the wording of the letter.

In previous years the wording was, 'Mr. X has shown evidence that he is in receipt of income worth £n on a regular monthly basis.' This year, the wording is, 'Mr. X has stated that he receives a monthly pension of £n.' This sounds a bit like the US / Australia situation.

I suspect from this that Immigration may want to see some additional proof of income. Again, no problem as I have bank statements and can, anyway, provide Immigration with the same evidence that I provided to the Consulate. I guess that I'll find out next week when I front up to get the annual retirement extension.

DM

Got my letters from UK Honorary Consulate in Chiang Mai on 8 April and 8 June ...

Both had the wording "Mr X has provided evidence showing that he receives an annual pension of xxxxxxx Pounds"

No change...

I've just received my income certification letter from the UK Honorary Consulate in Jompthien, as I have for the last several years. I provided them with the normal evidence of income which, in my case, derives from an occupational pension and also from the UK State Pension. No problem but I notice a subtle, or maybe not so subtle, change in the wording of the letter.

In previous years the wording was, 'Mr. X has shown evidence that he is in receipt of income worth £n on a regular monthly basis.' This year, the wording is, 'Mr. X has stated that he receives a monthly pension of £n.' This sounds a bit like the US / Australia situation.

I suspect from this that Immigration may want to see some additional proof of income. Again, no problem as I have bank statements and can, anyway, provide Immigration with the same evidence that I provided to the Consulate. I guess that I'll find out next week when I front up to get the annual retirement extension.

DM

Got my letters from UK Honorary Consulate in Chiang Mai on 8 April and 8 June ...

Both had the wording "Mr X has provided evidence showing that he receives an annual pension of xxxxxxx Pounds"

No change...

Well, we know that no two Thai Government offices - or even officers - sing from the same hymn sheet and now it seems that UK Consulates are suffering from the same problem!

DM

UK Citizen...Chiang Mai Immigration...Friday 10 June 2011

Within last 30 days of Non-Immigrant "O" visa applying for 1 year Retirement extension of stay.

Submitted :-

1. Passport

2. Photo

3. Completed TM7

4. Original Proof of Pension income letter from British Consulate Chiang Mai

5. Photocopy Departure card

7. Photocopy Passport Data Page

8. Photocopy Non-Immigrant "O" visa

9. 1,900 BHT

Received:-

1 Year Extension of stay based on meeting the conditions for retirement in Thailand

Not Required ...

Additional proof of pension income.

Bank statements.

Thai Bank Book

Pension imported into Thailand.

New Report: Ditto for me at Chiang Mai, June 22, getting first retirement visa, using US Consul income letter. (Only difference is I needed 2 copies of relevant passport pages.) I guess the changes haven't filtered down yet.:rolleyes:

Likewise, even though I've generally brought them with me just in case, I've never had Immigration at Suan Plu (formerly) or Chaeng Wattana (since it opened) ask to see anything involving Thai bank accounts or bank books... when seeking the annual extension of stay for retirement as an American based on monthly income.

The reports of the potential changes (for the most part in Bangkok) STARTED in March 2011 so reports about applications before then outside of Bangkok are less than relevant.

I don't believe anything new happened in March this year. A letter I received from the Australian Embassy in March 2010 contained the following:

"Some Thai Immigration offices also want you to present a letter from Centrelink or your pension provider, confirming the amount of your regular payment. Please check with your local immigration office on whether they require this. Some offices want you to get the Embassy to make a Certified True Copy (March 2010 cost is THB 880 - we need to see the original of the letter, not a copy). However not every Immigration office requires this, so please check beforehand."

This must have been going on for quite a while for the Embassy official to make such a clarification.

Although this forum is very useful, we must not assume that if we haven't heard about it on here it hasn't happened.

Likewise, even though I've generally brought them with me just in case, I've never had Immigration at Suan Plu (formerly) or Chaeng Wattana (since it opened) ask to see anything involving Thai bank accounts or bank books... when seeking the annual extension of stay for retirement as an American based on monthly income.

It's a standard request at the Chonburi Immigration office. It's stated clearly on their information handout.

I don't doubt that, Tropo, having seen multiple reports of such from Sin City, Thailand...

My only point was, that bank books requirement isn't replicated at least at Bangkok Immigration, and probably at other upcountry offices as well.

There are instances where one or a couple local offices decide to do their own thing, notwithstanding the broader rules and practices.

With reference to post #715 by Tropo.

One was referring to the Australian Embassy requirements, it would be obvious that one would check with their own Embassy first to obtain the exact requirements that they want.

And you would have documentary proof of income anyway, it is easy to obtain. If your Embassy requires it you can produce it.

The word one used was "similiar" (paragraph 1) You read it out of context.

You post was inaccurate as you grouped NZ in with Australia and USA stating their methods were "similar". As I showed in post #715, they are not similar at all.

"My only point was, that bank books requirement isn't replicated at least at Bangkok Immigration"

As reported several times earlier in this thread - including TODAY, (as well as on the PCEC website) -- a bank-book and bank-letter are no longer required at Chonburi/Pattaya Immigration for a retirement extension, unless your using the 800K Baht deposit or the Combo method of validating income.

The fact that some people appear to still be providing these documents is probably because they're unaware that they are no longer required.

Quick question -- how long is the turnaround period for Extension for Retirement?

Can you wait until the last week of your Non-Imm 'O' or do they require a couple of weeks to process?

At Jomtien they keep your passport overnight. You can technically apply the very last day of your current permission to stay, although seriously not recommended (in case there is a problem that needs some time to fix).

Edited by Jingthing

"how long is the turnaround period for Extension for Retirement? Can you wait until the last week of your Non-Imm 'O' "

Myself and others I know have applied as early as 30 days before expiration. I time the renewal date according the the expiration of my 4th 90-day address report, so I only need to make 5 treks to Immigration per year, instead of 6. If you apply early, the new extension starts at the expiration of the old extension, so you don't lose any time in your validity period by applying early.

At Chonburi/Pattaya at least-- if you get there early in the morning, you can pick up your passport the same day after 3:00pm -- a friend of mine did that today (he was #3 in line and was in and out quickly) - Post #782 above also reported a same day 3:00pm pickup today

The fact that some people appear to still be providing these documents is probably because they're unaware that they are no longer required.

... or that they physically went to the Office and asked the top guy in charge and he said that they (bank letter) are required.

... so the question is who do I follow? You or the head of the Chonburi Immigration Office?

I have my letter and shall be presenting it tomorrow. Too much inconvenience if I'm asked for it and I don't have it. Took 10 minutes to get one down at the bank.

Thanks -- I'm in BKK, but I guess they wouldn't be much slower.

I was just concerned that it might be a multi-week job like obtaining the original Non-Imm 'O' in-country.

Bangkok provides immediately without wait and always has. Pattaya is the only office not doing immediately AFAIK.

"so the question is who do I follow? You or the head of the Chonburi Immigration Office?"

If you prefer to believe the off-the-cuff response of some Imm. agent who may or may not have understood what you asked - or was not up to date on current requirements - and waste your time and money obtaining a bank letter -- as opposed to listening to the current experience of actual Expats going through the process - that's your business.

But I want to be sure that others have factual current information.

"so the question is who do I follow? You or the head of the Chonburi Immigration Office?"

If you prefer to believe the off-the-cuff response of some Imm. agent who may or may not have understood what you asked - or was not up to date on current requirements - and waste your time and money obtaining a bank letter -- as opposed to listening to the current experience of actual Expats going through the process - that's your business.

But I want to be sure that others have factual current information.

Give it a rest because you're starting to sound like a parrot. I already stated it was the Officer-in-charge who I spoke to, not "some Imm. agent". He understood my question.

I also stated that I will take it along to be sure.

It will serve as a good backup too in the case that I was further queried on my income statutory declaration as my bank statement clearly shows more than 65K coming in per month. I'm sure most would consider it a very good idea to bring along such a document if they have it.

Last year I re-newed my retirement visa, I had a letter from my UK pension company which was then verified by the British consul, I also had a letter from my bank here stating how much balance I had in my account, the retirement re-newal form plus photo copy of Passport and visa page, sorry I have not read all of the many posts, so is this what is required at my next re-newal?

I am in Phuket.

Edited by kenny999

Thanks -- I'm in BKK, but I guess they wouldn't be much slower.

I was just concerned that it might be a multi-week job like obtaining the original Non-Imm 'O' in-country.

Bangkok provides immediately without wait and always has. Pattaya is the only office not doing immediately AFAIK.

Well, I wouldn't say exactly "without wait," since depending on what day/time you go and how busy they are/how far down you are in the queue, you may wait a while for them to call your number.

But once they start on your app., assuming everything is in order, you ought to be stamped and out the door within a half hour or so for extension renewals at Chaeng Wattana.

Just went through the process in Jomtien an hour ago. My US embassy letter was all the financial info they needed. I had my tax stuff and copies of bank statements and they had no interest nor did they have any idea why I might have brought them. This is the first time after 8 extensions I did not have a bank letter and none was needed. I had a Thai bank book in my pocket but they did not ask for it. I did provide a 2nd photo which they stapled to the front of the application along with the one already stapled to the back. Took just a few minutes.

It's too bad there isn't some way to better correct or remove such blatantly erroneous posts as the OP in this thread...

TV members and visitors are going to be reading the big headline and warning on the OP.... but then have to wade thru 30 plus long pages of misc posts to finally learn that, at least thus far based on multiple first-person reports by TV members who have sought extensions subsequent to the OP, none of its dire claims of changes that supposedly had already occurred have proven to be true.

And of course, no explanation or reconciling from the OP of how/why its claims are totally at odds with what TV members are experiencing first hand.

For example, if the source of the OP came back and posted here saying, "Well, that's what Immigration told us they were going to do, but now they've backed off or delayed implementing that..." Or... "Well, our source told us that's what was happening, but it doesn't appear to be the case...." Those kinds of things anyone can understand, as everyone's human and prone to errors.

But thus far, the silence is deafening.

Edited by jfchandler

I have just received clearance for foreign residency under the US Dept. of Justice Title 18 of the Witness Protection Program.

My annual compensation far exceeds the retirement requirements of Thailand. Are the officials that be going to freak out

when they see the source of my "income" I will have a DOJ Clearance Certificate indicating no criminal wrong doing. Save the

wise-cracks for the bar, please.

Lucy, if you're applying for a retirement extension of stay based on monthly income, Thai Immigration typically won't ask to see your backup income documentation, though they can ask if they choose to.

What they will want to see for sure is a standard income letter you'd obtain for about $50 from the U.S. Consulate in BKK in which you swear under oath the correct amount of your total monthly income, whatever that figure is. And then that's the document you provide to Thai Immigration as part of your annual extension of stay application.

As long as the income is ongoing, recurring, it doesn't much matter what the source is, presuming of course that it's legal.

I guess I should add, since you seem to be a newcomer here...

The discussion in this thread is about retirement based extensions of stay, which are issued by Thai Immigration to people already residing inside Thailand.

If someone is residing outside Thailand, then they'd need to obtain a "O" visa based on retirement from a Thai Consulate, typically in their home country. The rules and requirements are somewhat similar, but the visa and extension of stay are two different and separate things.

In the case of the retirement visa, you'd be providing other kinds of income documentation to the Thai Consulate where you're applying, usually in the form of bank statements or pension letters and such.

In the case of retirement based extensions of stay that typically follow after an original visa, you'd be providing the U.S. consulate letter verifying your income to Thai Immigration once you're already staying in Thailand.

Edited by jfchandler

It's too bad there isn't some way to better correct or remove such blatantly erroneous posts as the OP in this thread...

TV members and visitors are going to be reading the big headline and warning on the OP.... but then have to wade thru 30 plus long pages of misc posts to finally learn that, at least thus far based on multiple first-person reports by TV members who have sought extensions subsequent to the OP, none of its dire claims of changes that supposedly had already occurred have proven to be true.

And of course, no explanation or reconciling from the OP of how/why its claims are totally at odds with what TV members are experiencing first hand.

For example, if the source of the OP came back and posted here saying, "Well, that's what Immigration told us they were going to do, but now they've backed off or delayed implementing that..." Or... "Well, our source told us that's what was happening, but it doesn't appear to be the case...." Those kinds of things anyone can understand, as everyone's human and prone to errors.

But thus far, the silence is deafening.

i asked same question a week ago,come to the conclusion it must be some sort of publicity stunt,to build up web traffic on tv.

TO: jfchandler. Thanks for pointing out my misstep, but I am glad i did that, because of the Consulate being my "buffer zone" I am glad you pointed me

in the right direction. That is very doable. The problem (if it is one at all) is that under the program DOJ will go to the extent of denying my existence. Thankfully