Retirement Extension Changes

Dante99

The same ground is being covered over and over again .Original documents are enough if the Immigration Officer wants them .We get quarterly reports for our investments plus a yearly report all sent to our address in Thailand they always arrive .I dont know of any investment company or financial institution that does not send out a annual report for any investment held with them .If they did not i send a annula report at least they would not be holding my money for much longer.

Some of us have joined the 21st century and gone "paperless", which means we can view rinancial eports on-line and print them out at home if we want a copy of on paper. The result is hardly "official-looking", especially on our inkjet printer where we often don't use the color cartridges and just print out things like financial documents with black ink.

Yes, it does appear that we're covering the same ground, but I thought the point of this thread was to post up-to-date experience at CM Immigration, noting if anything has changed. So far, it appears that nothing has changed.

Edited by NancyL

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same ground is being covered over and over again .Original documents are enough if the Immigration Officer wants them .We get quarterly reports for our investments plus a yearly report all sent to our address in Thailand they always arrive .I dont know of any investment company or financial institution that does not send out a annual report for any investment held with them .If they did not i send a annula report at least they would not be holding my money for much longer.

Some of us have joined the 21st century and gone "paperless", which means we can view rinancial eports on-line and print them out at home if we want a copy of on paper. The result is hardly "official-looking", especially on our inkjet printer where we often don't use the color cartridges and just print out things like financial documents with black ink.

Yes, it does appear that we're covering the same ground, but I thought the point of this thread was to post up-to-date experience at CM Immigration, noting if anything has changed. So far, it appears that nothing has changed.

Printed copies off an inkjet printer are not classed as official documents ,that is why i also have them mailed to me just in case they are required.Nothing will change at CM immigration but if it does just be ready .Official documents from the US. It is not much use printing documents off a printer that do not look genuine .That will just cause you more problems in the long term.

Edited by fcgprg

Extended my O-A Retirement Visa in north Thailand on Monday with only letter of income verification. This was 3rd Extension. No other verification required and no questions.

It surely appears that a few Fear Mongers have tried to stir the pot for whatever their reason or own personal agenda. Especially against Certain Countries.

BTW: Add the Dutch to those that now only affirm their income. Recent changes in Dutch Income Document Wording.

Original Income Documents and Verifications. All BS........ Copies printed on computers from epaperwork etc.

Real and True Income IS NOT Independently Verified by any Embassy or Cousulate of Any Country !

To truely verify income, all income must be ceritfied and verified by the person's Own State Department, then submitted to the Thai Minestry by their Countries.

Another poster here has also sadi that the UK Embassy or Cousulates do not actually independently verify their income.

And yet another poster and I have said that any American who applies for an O-A Retirement Visa at the Thai Embassy or Consulates in the USA have to have their Income, Police Clearance, and Doctor Certificate all Notarised on Original application for O-A Visa.

Edited by KimoMax

...conjecture, resentment and fear-mongering...

Isn't the Internet wonderful?

Personally I think that the OP who started the initial thread should be admonished for yelling fire and then bolting from the theater...

Personally I think that the OP who started the initial thread should be admonished for yelling fire and then bolting from the theater...

I posted a link to an article that was already elsewhere on ThaiVisa Forum and asked for specific information about whether or not there were related changes at CM Immigration. That was a request for reports of factual information of recent experience at CM Immigration. That was not a request for information about what your or anybody else thinks about ink jet printers, fair standards, the problems of verifying income, how not to dress for your immigration visit, or anything else.

I have thanked and now thank again those who posted appropriate responses. I have no interest in joining the theater monkey show created by the others.

I posted a link to an article that was already elsewhere on ThaiVisa Forum and asked for specific information about whether or not there were related changes at CM Immigration. That was a request for reports of factual information of recent experience at CM Immigration. That was not a request for information about what your or anybody else thinks about ink jet printers, fair standards, the problems of verifying income, how not to dress for your immigration visit, or anything else.

I have thanked and now thank again those who posted appropriate responses. I have no interest in joining the theater monkey show created by the others.

Sorry I was not clear - I did not mean you :jap: (I thought you were quite right in asking your question)...

I was referring to the OP of the other original initial thread that started this!!!

Edited by sfokevin

Just my 2 cents. I just got my retirement extension using the income letter from the US Consulate. I did not have to provide any additional documentation related to my income.

I do have a question: I was under the impression that since I processed my extension today (June 16th), I would not have to do my 90 day report until some time in September. They indicated that I have to return for my 90 day report on June 28th which is just 12 days from now. Does this seem correct?

Thanks,

bb

I have a friend that is wealthy, under 50, and not married and doesn't intend to marry. He doesn't wish to work, as he's wealthy enough to retire early. He wants to live in Thailand and spend his money here - what do u suggest? without breaking the spirit of any rule that is.....

Sail on his yacht to Langkawi or Penang every 90 days. Or helicopter to Vientiane. Actually it's quite easy for wealthy people like your friend.

So you agree with circumventing the rules for those who will not apply by the letter of the law. If you are a tourist, then at least observe and apply the rules of Thai immigration policy for genuine ex pat residents of this great land.......

The sooner that those who abuse and circumvent the regulations are removed by abusing their so called tourist visas, from this beautiful country, the more credence we, as genuine ex pats will receive. But it appears to be a fact that that there are those who have no regard to genuine ex pats who abide by the law of this country.

It is all a matter of personal values and upbringing and respect for other people and the land in which we are guests.

Just my 2 cents. I just got my retirement extension using the income letter from the US Consulate. I did not have to provide any additional documentation related to my income.

I do have a question: I was under the impression that since I processed my extension today (June 16th), I would not have to do my 90 day report until some time in September. They indicated that I have to return for my 90 day report on June 28th which is just 12 days from now. Does this seem correct?

Thanks,

bb

Yes, that is correct based on my experience in recent years. Extending your visa does not change your 90 day report date. Some years ago, I thought the same as you and ended up having to pay a fine for being late on the 90 day report. The 90 day report date does change when you leave Thailand and return with a new arrival card, then it is 90 days from your arrival.

Thanks for your current information about the documents needed for extension.

Depends how they feel, they have the authority to do the 90 day report at the same time.

Well, they must have because I had a very similar situation and HE told me that he was updating it and I didn't ask.

Thanks,

bb

Yep they (CM immo) don't consider the extension visit as a report. I learned that 2000 baht later. MHS immo was more reasonable and counted the extension visit as a report.

somewhere on the faq pages on immigration, there is mention that you can process the 90-day reporting at the same time as your 1-year renewal IFF the 90-day renewal falls within the 14 day window allowed for the 90-day reporting. (i think it is 7 days before, and 7 days after the 90-day reporting date). in the above case, the 1-yr renewal didnt fall with the 14 day window, so it would not have been possible to process the 90-day renewal at the same time by the same immi officer.

last year, i timed my 1-year renewal to fall 5 days be4 the 90-day reporting, and the immi officer in cmai processing the 1-yr renewal accepted the 90-day renewal form. all i had to do was go outside and get the new 1-yr extension page xeroxed and give it to her. i didn't have to get another number or stand in line. this was incredibly convenient. i plan to do it again this year.

• 4 weeks later...

More factual information:

Last Wednesday i did my second retirement visa extension. The first 2 I did with the 800,000 baht method. This was my first time using the consulate letter. Everything was in order, no questions or further documentation requested.

Everyone there at immigration seems to work hard. I just wish they had more space and maybe some more staff. They seem to be getting busier over time

last year, i timed my 1-year renewal to fall 5 days be4 the 90-day reporting, and the immi officer in cmai processing the 1-yr renewal accepted the 90-day renewal form. all i had to do was go outside and get the new 1-yr extension page xeroxed and give it to her. i didn't have to get another number or stand in line. this was incredibly convenient. i plan to do it again this year.

That's OK if you never leave the country, which I presume you do not. But for people who do go in and out, the 90 day report kicks in from when you re-enter Thailand, so it's practically impossible to coordinate as you say.

Thanks for the info babyjesus. I assume you're American? I know another American who got his 3 or 4th retirement extension, also on Wednesday. He used the Consulate letter without any additional questions. His biggest "complaint" was that he arrived at 7:30 am, was number 25 on the "pre-list" sign-in, got number 211 for the retirement extension desk (meaning he was to be their 11th customer of the day). That desk didn't open until 9 am (although other desks started at 8:30 am) and he got out just before lunch.

Prior to going, I suggested he plan to arrive at 6 am if he wanted to be number 1 or 2 in line. He thought I was joking. Now he knows otherwise!