How Can I Find Out What The Current Owner Paid For House?

Hello,

I am considering buying a house, and before making an offer to the owner I would like to find out what he paid for it. He bought the building in January of this year. As I said I have the Chanote, would the land office give me that information, or give me the appraised value of the property?

Any advice or suggestions on what to do will be greatly appreciated.

-O

As dave 111223 has said, it could be very difficult to ascertain the "real" price paid.

Anyway am not sure that it is relevant............if the guy bought it for a real bargain price due to a distressed sale, for example, he is probably not about to resell it under the same circumstances i.e. a bargain price.

Take a look around at similar places which have sold to see if this place is in the same price range (a friendly RE agent would give you the sale prices, not the asking price) AND is it what you want/are you satisfied with the asking price/does it represent good value to you............if so. what the guy originally paid for it is not relevant.

Good luck

As dave 111223 has said, it could be very difficult to ascertain the "real" price paid.

Anyway am not sure that it is relevant............if the guy bought it for a real bargain price due to a distressed sale, for example, he is probably not about to resell it under the same circumstances i.e. a bargain price.

Take a look around at similar places which have sold to see if this place is in the same price range (a friendly RE agent would give you the sale prices, not the asking price) AND is it what you want/are you satisfied with the asking price/does it represent good value to you............if so. what the guy originally paid for it is not relevant.

Good luck

Thanks Philnz good advice that I already subscribe to. I have lived in Bangkok for 9 years, and I am savvy regarding what is fair value for the considerations that meet our families needs in buying a property. Have been doing due dalliance for years. For eight years I have been renting two 1 bdr. apartments next to each other, at a fantastic price, with all the convinces. If I did not have a growing two and half year old son, I wouldn't have reason to want a bigger place.

One big incentive is that this particular flat is on our soi where all are friends live.

Go kindly,

-O

<br />As dave 111223 has said, it could be very difficult to ascertain the "real" price paid. <br /><br />Anyway am not sure that it is relevant............if the guy bought it for a real bargain price due to a distressed sale, for example, he is probably not about to resell it under the same circumstances i.e. a bargain price.<br /><br />Take a look around at similar places which have sold to see if this place is in the same price range (a friendly RE agent would give you the sale prices, not the asking price) AND is it what you want/are you satisfied with the asking price/does it represent good value to you............if so. what the guy originally paid for it is not relevant.<br /><br />Good luck<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I agree with Philnz but if you absolutely have to know and the seller has mentioned a price in your negotiations you could ask to see the contract which he agreed to buy the place - the price should be stated correctly within it.

<br />As dave 111223 has said, it could be very difficult to ascertain the "real" price paid. <br /><br />Anyway am not sure that it is relevant............if the guy bought it for a real bargain price due to a distressed sale, for example, he is probably not about to resell it under the same circumstances i.e. a bargain price.<br /><br />Take a look around at similar places which have sold to see if this place is in the same price range (a friendly RE agent would give you the sale prices, not the asking price) AND is it what you want/are you satisfied with the asking price/does it represent good value to you............if so. what the guy originally paid for it is not relevant.<br /><br />Good luck<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I agree with Philnz but if you absolutely have to know and the seller has mentioned a price in your negotiations you could ask to see the contract which he agreed to buy the place - the price should be stated correctly within it.

Topt,

Good idea..I'll ask to see it,

Thanks,

-O

<br /><br /><br />

Topt,

Good idea..I'll ask to see it,

Thanks,

-O

Except that there could be 2 contracts, the real one, and the one that was produced for the land office.

Good luck

Thanks Philnz good advice that I already subscribe to. I have lived in Bangkok for 9 years, and I am savvy regarding what is fair value for the considerations that meet our families needs in buying a property. Have been doing due dalliance for years. For eight years I have been renting two 1 bdr. apartments next to each other, at a fantastic price, with all the convinces. If I did not have a growing two and half year old son, I wouldn't have reason to want a bigger place.

One big incentive is that this particular flat is on our soi where all are friends live.

Go kindly,

-O

Lucky you

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dalliance

Good luck

Go kindly,

-O

Hi Orangutan, good to know that you have been doing your homework as many don't.

Another suggestion, if the asking price seems to represent "reasonable value" to you, then you could always make an offer, say some 25% below that price and start negotiating from there.

Let us know how it goes and again, good luck.

In many moo baans, the builders are still in the area possibly building the same units. The sellers hate having to compete with the builders, but that's the way it goes if there is any available land at all. I think they can build new for 5000 psm, and the land will run 4000-8000 psw in a moobann, but more like 30000 closer to a beach.

In many moo baans, the builders are still in the area possibly building the same units. The sellers hate having to compete with the builders, but that's the way it goes if there is any available land at all. I think they can build new for 5000 psm, and the land will run 4000-8000 psw in a moobann, but more like 30000 closer to a beach.

The cheapest I have seen advertised is in the Thai newspapers, Grade A (yes take that with a pinch of salt) at 9,000 psm.

Closer to the mark would be something like 15,000 psm if using a reputable company, 10-12,000 if using an unregistered company.

We havent even spoken about the cost of raising and levelling the land, piling, perimeter wall and gate.

As for prices of land in moobaans, 30,000 - 40,000 per t/w is probably nearer to the truth, and thats at the bottom end of the market.

Would love to know where I can get a 200sqm house sitting on 100t/w of land for 1.8 million

Fact is there is no 100% reliable way to find out what the real price was unless you were involved in the transaction.

Follow the advice here, much of it is good although, disregard talk of land values at 4000 - 8000 psw unless you know the location, also constuction costs of 5000 psm is fine if you are building a concrete box, without interior finishings, project managers, architects, legal and other professional fees etc.

In short do your homework, ask around, check government values (although know that these will typically be under valued, as they revise values only once every four years)