Amnesty For Thaksin Not Wise : Sanan

webfact

This is the point, as I said I am sympathetic to Thaksin in this one instance, I feel the verdict was biased. Given a fresh trial with no back dated documents, and a truly impartial panel, then if if Thaksin did not accept the verdict this becomes irrelevant, it is how the public view the decision which counts.

If there is no back-dated [faked] documents from the Thaksin-camp then they have no defense, hence he would still be judged as guilty...

The newer cases would be far more interesting.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of "reconciliation" by the yellows/democrats is to convince the thai masses, mostly red supporters, to buy into their minority party's ideals.

It is clear they are as selfish as the other side.....they won't let the issue of one man out of office go (even though it was by illegal means how he got put out of office), because it would mean they will have to pay their own price for their own bad acts in the past.

And on the other side, forget Thaksin forgetting what they did.

The yellows are fighting literally for their lives, because if Thaksin get's back and legal, they know they have 2 choices ---- run or else.....either way, I hope it all finally ends so the country moves forward. It's time these guys stopped trying to use Thailand as a shield for a fight they started and can't finish on their own.

This is the point, as I said I am sympathetic to Thaksin in this one instance, I feel the verdict was biased. Given a fresh trial with no back dated documents, and a truly impartial panel, then if if Thaksin did not accept the verdict this becomes irrelevant, it is how the public view the decision which counts.

If there is no back-dated [faked] documents from the Thaksin-camp then they have no defense, hence he would still be judged as guilty...

Of course no back dated retrospective legislation was used to convict Thaksin, it's all a figment of my imagination. As many people seem to have this same imaginary view of events, it must be another example of a mass hallucination such as occurred at Lourdes :lol:

I think though, the requirement for that forgiveness may be that he disappear from the stage for awhile, maybe some contrition, maybe some atonement, maybe not involving himself in matters of state for awhile where he tends to destroy everything and everyone he comes in contact with.

The fact that he does not retire and relax in peace with his billions is evidence of his megalomania.

No it is evidence of a man that belives strongly in his position. Yes, he could go and live a nice life. No doubt that the Abhisit government would facilitate that if Mr. Thaksin so chose.

However, Mr. Thaksin believes the charges brought against him were politically motivated and that he was acting in the same manner as the PMs that came before him and that will follow. That is not a justification for wrongdoing. Mr. Thaksin may have been a naughty boy by my standards, but by Thai standards, well, up to you to decide. Perhaps he has learnt from his past mistakes.I hope he has.

In any case, this is a guy that won't allow himself to be trampled or pushed around and he intends to show the people that maligned him that he is better than that. I believe it's called courage in the face of adversity and tough odds. He's a man. A tough man at that. Maybe he intimidates some, but I give him credit for his pluck and fortitude. in a crisis, I want a tough guy like that around. A guy with a history of success. He did amass biillions as you say, so he must know a thing or two.

No it is evidence of a man that belives strongly in his position. Yes, he could go and live a nice life. No doubt that the Abhisit government would facilitate that if Mr. Thaksin so chose.

However, Mr. Thaksin believes the charges brought against him were politically motivated and that he was acting in the same manner as the PMs that came before him and that will follow. That is not a justification for wrongdoing. Mr. Thaksin may have been a naughty boy by my standards, but by Thai standards, well, up to you to decide. Perhaps he has learnt from his past mistakes.I hope he has.

In any case, this is a guy that won't allow himself to be trampled or pushed around and he intends to show the people that maligned him that he is better than that. I believe it's called courage in the face of adversity and tough odds. He's a man. A tough man at that. Maybe he intimidates some, but I give him credit for his pluck and fortitude. in a crisis, I want a tough guy like that around. A guy with a history of success. He did amass biillions as you say, so he must know a thing or two.

What about a guy with a history of failures?

http://en.wikipedia....#Early_ventures

Thaksin and his wife began several businesses while he was still in the police, including a silk shop, a movie theater, and an apartment building. All were failures and left him over 50 million baht in debt. In 1982 he established ICSI; using his police contacts, he leased computers to government agencies with modest success. However, later ventures in security systems (SOS) and public bus radio services (Bus Sound) all failed. In April 1986, he founded Advanced Info Service (AIS), which started off as a computer rental business.

In 1987 Thaksin resigned from the police. He then marketed a romance drama called "Baan Sai Thong", which became a popular success in theaters. In 1988 he joined Pacific Telesis to operate and market the PacLink pager service, a modest success, though Thaksin later sold his shares to establish his own paging company. In 1989 he launched IBC, a cable television company. At that time, Thaksin had a very good relationship with Chalerm Yoobumrung the Minister of the Prime Minister Office who was in charge of Thai press and media. It is a question that remains unanswered whether Chalerm granted the right to Thaksin to establish IBC just to benefit his close friend, seeing that this project had been denied by the previous administration but instantly accepted a very short period after Chalerm came to office. However, it turned out to lose money and he eventually merged this company with the CP Group's UTV. In 1989, Thaksin established a data networking service, Shinawatra DataCom, today known as Advanced Data Network and owned by AIS and the TOT. Many of Thaksin's businesses were later consolidated as Shin Corp.

Advance Info Service was given a monopoly contract by his contacts in the military in 1986 and operates under GSM 900 frequency. AIS grew rapidly and became the largest mobile phone operator in Thailand.

"failed", "police contacts", "failed", "relationship", "benefit his close friend", "lose money" "monopoly contract", "contacts in the military"

A common theme there.

I think though, the requirement for that forgiveness may be that he disappear from the stage for awhile, maybe some contrition, maybe some atonement, maybe not involving himself in matters of state for awhile where he tends to destroy everything and everyone he comes in contact with.

The fact that he does not retire and relax in peace with his billions is evidence of his megalomania.

You are so funny geriatrickid. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You've clearly never met the square faced demagogue. The only thing he believes is that he is superior to everyone else. He survives because he is an incredibly intelligent manipulator. That is why he is so dangerous. He's probably also a sociopath, but not being a psychiatrist I couldn't make a medical determination. He's even got unsuspecting people like you with absolutely no knowledge of his true character defending him. In short, you have been duped and are incredibly naive. You don't even realize you've been duped. You actually believe the hogwash above, don't you?

Thaksin exists for Thaksin. He has no higher or noble purpose.<snip>

Edited by soundman
No need for personal cheap shots.

You are so funny geriatrickid. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You've clearly never met the square faced demagogue. The only thing he believes is that he is superior to everyone else. He survives because he is an incredibly intelligent manipulator. That is why he is so dangerous. He's probably also a sociopath, but not being a psychiatrist I couldn't make a medical determination. He's even got unsuspecting people like you with absolutely no knowledge of his true character defending him. In short, you have been duped and are incredibly naive. You don't even realize you've been duped. You actually believe the hogwash above, don't you?

Thaksin exists for Thaksin. He has no higher or noble purpose. <snip>

Let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f*cked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f*ckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

You say I never met the gentleman,and that I have been manipulated, but here you are, a person that doesn't know him, that never worked with him and you are affixing all sorts of derogatory labels. You call him a sociopath, manipulative, a demagogue. Ok. That';s your opinion. You are entitled to it, just as I am entitled to mine. You denigrate and run the man down, yet you refuse to acknowledge that he is a reflection of Thailand. You assert that I don't know his true character. Ok. However, I don't think you know him any better than me. I have taken the time to read some of his policy statements and listened to his earlier speeches. I suggest you do the same.

Mr. Thaksin has not manipulated me, nor fooled me. I know what he is and can see his faults. All people that have achieved some measure of success in life have faults. Jack Welch is considered an icon of the business world, but I consider him to be a disgusting morally bankrupt specimen. Different perspective. And yet people still pay ridiculous amounts to hear Jack Welch speak in his irritating high pitched voice.

I have not lost my sensibilities. Rather, I can recognize a self made guy that can stand up to cheap shots and bullies. This is a guy that took you all on and he survived. Every dirty trick in the book has been tried on him and yet he is still standing. He's tough. He can't be screamed out the way too many foreigners berate the Thai waiters and service staff in stores. He can't be pushed around. He scares alot of the bullying foreigners and people that have positions based on connections. Just for that, he gets a thumbs up from me.

I'm enjoying his resurrection. You should too.

Edited by soundman

Self-made man?  You're really buying into his propaganda with that.  The Shinawats were a family of tax farmers, that is, they were businessmen who ingratiated themselves with the local government and became semi-governmental tax collectors.  

Thaksin's father was a member of Parliament.  He apparently made some bad business decisions that set the family's fortunes back some, but Thaksin was still able to buy a Mercedes when he was a student in the US.  

Then there is the former Mrs. Shinawat.  Potjeman Na Pombejra.  Na is a royal surname used by people who don't have a royal title (meaning that more than 4 or 5 generations away from a king) but are descended from a Thai king or prince.  It was with her family's influence and connections that they made the business opportunities available to them.  At one point, after several failed business ventures, the Shinawats were 50 million baht in debt.  For most people that would simply be the end.  But if you father-in-law is a retired Police General, it just means that the banks will happily loan you more money for yet another venture and the police themselves will give you a monopoly to finally achieve success.  

Self-made man my eye!

Edited by otherstuff1957

Self-made man? You're really buying into his propaganda with that. The Shinawats were a family of tax farmers, that is, they were businessmen who ingratiated themselves with the local government and became semi-governmental tax collectors.

Self-made man my eye!

And what they were actually "tax farming" was the opium dens, an excellent place to make contacts for what some analysts have later gone onto suggest was the base of the families wealth for generations....

(for the benifit of those who do not know what a tax farmer is; the government of the day found they could collect more revenue, and incur less expense by tendering out tax collection responsibilities to private contractors in the greyer areas of the business community.)

Let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f*cked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f*ckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

You say I never met the gentleman,and that I have been manipulated, but here you are, a person that doesn't know him, that never worked with him and you are affixing all sorts of derogatory labels. You call him a sociopath, manipulative, a demagogue. Ok. That';s your opinion. You are entitled to it, just as I am entitled to mine. You denigrate and run the man down, yet you refuse to acknowledge that he is a reflection of Thailand. You assert that I don't know his true character. Ok. However, I don't think you know him any better than me. I have taken the time to read some of his policy statements and listened to his earlier speeches. I suggest you do the same.

Mr. Thaksin has not manipulated me, nor fooled me. I know what he is and can see his faults. All people that have achieved some measure of success in life have faults. Jack Welch is considered an icon of the business world, but I consider him to be a disgusting morally bankrupt specimen. Different perspective. And yet people still pay ridiculous amounts to hear Jack Welch speak in his irritating high pitched voice.

I have not lost my sensibilities. Rather, I can recognize a self made guy that can stand up to cheap shots and bullies. This is a guy that took you all on and he survived. Every dirty trick in the book has been tried on him and yet he is still standing. He's tough. He can't be screamed out the way too many foreigners berate the Thai waiters and service staff in stores. He can't be pushed around. He scares alot of the bullying foreigners and people that have positions based on connections. Just for that, he gets a thumbs up from me.

I'm enjoying his resurrection. You should too.

Brilliant--so you admire the man that used your bank money for his own gain(, Thailands )money. You think that is cool.??? you just amaze me-people hiding from the truth make me vomit. Using a V.I.P. position for his own ends(family wealth) SELF made--SELFish would be a better word. Reminds me of the bus driver who caused the accident--Fled from the scene-and taunted the injured from anther land.

I am rather enjoying the grandstanding of the self appointed arbitors of morality. All the holier than thou rhetoric and venom. I'd be able to take some of it seriously if its most vociferous advocates were not tainted with their own moral turpitude.

It's like having a viewing window on the Titanic as it sank. Not enough lifeboats for the passengers leading to disorder amongst the 3rd class folk as they discovered they would be left to drown.

I don't got no dog in this fight. If Mme. Yingluck wins the election and forms the government, I get my pay cheque all the same. I will also get my tax bills too. Should Mr. Abhisit hang on, I'll still get my paycheque and tax assessments. I would expect that most honest decent foreigners will experience the same. Life will go on. The sun will continue to rise.

I am rather enjoying the grandstanding of the self appointed arbitors of morality. All the holier than thou rhetoric and venom. I'd be able to take some of it seriously if its most vociferous advocates were not tainted with their own moral turpitude.

It's like having a viewing window on the Titanic as it sank. Not enough lifeboats for the passengers leading to disorder amongst the 3rd class folk as they discovered they would be left to drown.

I don't got no dog in this fight. If Mme. Yingluck wins the election and forms the government, I get my pay cheque all the same. I will also get my tax bills too. Should Mr. Abhisit hang on, I'll still get my paycheque and tax assessments. I would expect that most honest decent foreigners will experience the same. Life will go on. The sun will continue to rise.

I'm just wondering why you want Mugabe around?

So speak your mind air your views, but to portray a person who abused the Thai people(with his power) But after taking some flack from posters-you say never mind you still get your pay . whoever is in control-fine but lets all be honest about the ex P.M.s history. So tomorrow I go and rob Bangkok Bank and then run abroad, and abuse from that position, Is that a decent thing --and hope for amnesty

Yes. You amuse me. When people take strong stands on topics which they clearly know nothing about, I find that amusing. Thaksin is a snake that must be destroyed at all costs. Anyone who has ever tried to do business with him understands this. You don't, because you have clearly never met the man.

And you don't even realize how he has manipulated you. I find that funny in a sad kind of way. But Thaksin is very good at what he does, so I don't find it surprising.

Edit: BTW, for your information. I have met the man. I worked in the telecom industry. That is how I know how truly evil he is. You clearly have not.

Edited by gregb

it would go down as one of the first times too, where the poor were actually that ignorant and duped to support it as well.

by no means first time people have been duped. just look at Zimbabwie Iraq Hitlers Germany North Korea pol pot and all rest

Edited by soundman
Fixed quote tags

But what he wasn't actually guilty of anything.

From wikileaks / Andrew Marshall

http://www.zenjourna...6/07bangkok499/

>It is privately acknowledged by the Deputy PM and widely understood in Thai society that the real reason for the amendments is that there is a political imperative to find the Shin Corp-Temasek transaction illegal. Despite the fact that former PM Thaksin has already received US$1.9 billion for the shares he and his family sold in the transaction (now mostly residing in accounts at Siam Commercial Bank and Krung Thai Bank where they are closely monitored to ensure no funds are transferred abroad) and there are no Thai laws that make the seller of an asset responsible for ensuring the buyer complies with FBA regulations, the current government is anxious to show that this transaction was illegal in order to "prove" the corrupt nature of the former PM but are apparently unable to do so under the present FBA.

Edited by JurgenG

So speak your mind air your views, but to portray a person who abused the Thai people(with his power) But after taking some flack from posters-you say never mind you still get your pay . whoever is in control-fine but lets all be honest about the ex P.M.s history. So tomorrow I go and rob Bangkok Bank and then run abroad, and abuse from that position, Is that a decent thing --and hope for amnesty

Mr. Thaksin did not rob a bank.

And therein lies the weakness of the arguments from his detractors in this forum. There is an embrace of wild scenarios and fanciful allegations. There is so much visceral hatred that anything goes when discussing the gentleman. I expect one day to read in TVF that he is alleged to have performed human sacrifices and devoured the hearts of babies to gain super natural strength.

He is blamed for everything that upsets people. Yes he has faults and yes he erred. Every political leader has faults and makes mistakes. Yet, Mr. Thaksin is different than the usual leader in that he took it on the chin and didn't fall down. Like a bloodied and battered fighter he stood his ground and fought back as best he could. The manner in which he has been persecuted and used as a whipping boy for the sins of others is precisely why a large number of Thais are willing to forgive his past transgressions.. The Thai government had multiple opportunities to arrest and detain him, yet somehow he managed to be left alone. I offer that some people gambled that it would be better if he was sent to the wilderness than to be a rallying point, a martyr in a Thai prison as a political prisoner. They rolled the dice and lost.

I live in Chiang Mai. The residue 'essence of Thaksin' that still pervades this area made my fridge break down last week.

Bastard.

Hopefully, you can get it repaired or if not, at least don't pitch it away. You never know when you might need it for protection.

Despite Thaksin's absurd public proclamation that he had eliminated all drugs everywhere in Thailand, drugs never disappeared from the streets during Thaksin's murderous Drug War. They were only made more expensive. Similarly, no major drug dealers were removed, either.

2,500 non-judicial murders was the result. With Snoh's adding "ultimate" to the next Drug War, one can only imagine how many citizens will be murdered in it.

Grandma Udom may not be so lucky to escape with her life in the next one.

6548532low.gif

Grandma Udom and the infamous refrigerator that saved her and her husband's life when a Drug War commando unit mistakenly attacked their house

Deputy Leader Of The People Power Party To Stand Trial For Attempted Murder, Former Thaksin Cabinet Minister and 7 Police Officers accused

The Ayutthaya provincial court yesterday accepted a case filed by an elderly couple accusing Yongyuth Tiyapairat, Deputy Leader of the People Power Party, of attempted murder in a raid which saw police riddle their house with bullets three years ago.

On July 7, 2004, Yongyuth, while serving as PM's Office Minister in the Thaksin administration, led a security task force in a night raid on a house owned by Udom and Nisai Satakurama in Ayutthaya's Bang Sai district.

Yes. You amuse me. When people take strong stands on topics which they clearly know nothing about, I find that amusing. Thaksin is a snake that must be destroyed at all costs. Anyone who has ever tried to do business with him understands this. You don't, because you have clearly never met the man.

And you don't even realize how he has manipulated you. I find that funny in a sad kind of way. But Thaksin is very good at what he does, so I don't find it surprising.

Edit: BTW, for your information. I have met the man. I worked in the telecom industry. That is how I know how truly evil he is. You clearly have not.

Basically you are stating that you are an aggrieved competitor that lost out to his superior business skills. You are not the first person to cry foul when you fail to obtain the golden egg you so coveted. And yes I do recall you mentioning the telcom issue last year. Do you think Warren Buffet doesn't upset some people when he decides on a purchase or investment ?

it is childish to call him a snake that must be destroyed at all costs. Word up, you failed at the business deal. It happens. Move on and go make a new deal. When Boeing loses a contract to Airbus they don't call the AB chairman a snake to be destroyed. Instead, they work harder and come up with an improved sales strategy. I've worked on projects only to see them trashed. it's part of the business equation.

Basically you are stating that you are an aggrieved competitor that lost out to his superior business skills.

<snip>

Do you mean his business skills at running companies into the ground, or is business skills in using corrupt contacts to give him monopolies?

Basically you are stating that you are an aggrieved competitor that lost out to his superior business skills.

<snip>

Do you mean his business skills at running companies into the ground, or is business skills in using corrupt contacts to give him monopolies?

Let's not forget William Monson .......

6548532low.gif

Grandma Udom and the infamous refrigerator that saved her and her husband's life when a Drug War commando unit mistakenly attacked their house

It was demonstrated on MythBusters that a refrigerator won't stop a bullet. An other myth propagated by the Sondhi's brigade BUSTED

On the 2 thousands something death linked to the "war on drug", more than half were directly related to drug business. Which doesn't mean the others were innocent by-standers.

Beside Thaksin was cleared of any wrong doing linked to the "war on drug"

An other myth propagated by the Sondhi's brigade BUSTED

6548532low.gif

It was demonstrated on MythBusters that a refrigerator won't stop a bullet.

Please share your link that that specific refrigerator manufacturer and model would fail to stop the specific type of bullets from the specific type of weaponry that were fired that evening.

On the 2 thousands something death linked to the "war on drug", more than half were directly related to drug business. Which doesn't mean the others were innocent by-standers.

In the absence of a properly adjudicated conviction with a concurrent death sentence determination with any of the people that were slaughtered, every one of of those deaths is a homicide.

Edited by Buchholz

It was demonstrated on MythBusters that a refrigerator won't stop a bullet. An other myth propagated by the Sondhi's brigade BUSTED

Actually, they demonstrated that a fridge DOOR wouldn't stop a bullet. The back of the fridge has the cooling coils in it, so would be stronger.

It was demonstrated on MythBusters that a refrigerator won't stop a bullet.

Actually, they demonstrated that a fridge DOOR wouldn't stop a bullet. The back of the fridge has the cooling coils in it, so would be stronger.

Thank you for that. More half-truths promulgated by the cheerleaders are exposed.

In other words....

BUSTED

Edited by Buchholz

Pheu Thai Not Focused Solely on Amnesty Plan

After her first visit to southern Thailand went smoothly, the Pheu Thai Party's number 1 party-list candidate reiterated that the party is not focused on merely providing amnesty for her brother, but is offering to cure Thailand of its current economic and social problems.

After Pheu Thai Party number 1 party-list candidate Yingluck Shinawatra visited the southern provinces of Yala, Narathiwat, and Pattani yesterday, she said she received a warm welcome from southerners.

She thanked everyone that was receptive to Pheu Thai although she does not hope to win MP seats in area as they are not Pheu Thai strongholds.

Meanwhile, she refused to comment on Democrat Secretary-General Suthep Thaugsuban's criticism that southerners will not vote for her party because they remembered the harsh rule under her brother Thaksin Shinawatra's administration.

She reaffirms that her party is sincere towards people in the South, saying that everyone is Thai and there is no need to discriminate against fellow citizens.

Yingluck also denied that Pheu Thai intended to steal the limelight from the Democrat Party, which is scheduled to host a major rally in the area on June 21.

The PM candidate also reiterates that Pheu Thai's first action as government will not be to issue an amnesty decree.

She insists that her party will work to solve every problem, and said building national reconciliation is among one of those efforts.

She also asked that every party respect the majority of voters by letting the winning party form the next government.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-06-15

Pheu Thai Not Focused Solely on Amnesty Plan

the Pheu Thai Party's number 1 party-list candidate reiterated that the party is not focused on merely providing amnesty for her brother

They're not focused solely on the amnesty plan for her brother, but they are focused on it.